• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Frungi

Frungi

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:17

I’m playing through The Longest Journey for the first time, and I have to ask: on April’s first trip to Arcadia, what did she see that “can’t possibly exist,” as she told Tobias? When did she witness magic after arriving? The only impossible or magical thing I can think of is the talking bird (if you talk to him), and maybe the blue fire. Besides that, it seemed to me like she might as well have been at a Renaissance fair or something in Stark. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious, right?

#2 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3043 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:22

I think parts of the story (as in, what happens and in what order) were rewritten but they didn't have time to re-record the dialogue to reflect that. April could be referencing something that's not in the final script.

Another example (don't open it if you've not finished the game, as that happens after the point you described):

Spoiler

#3 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:26

A talking bird, Other strange animals, why do you need more than that?. The city is populated by magical races. You are free to go walk around at that point in the game.

#4 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3527 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:12

One obvious candidate would be the shift?

#5 Guyra

Guyra

Vestrum Herald

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1713 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 15:04

Well, blue fire is likely she's already seen in Stark, but generally: What Lee-m said. There are magical races everywhere. Not to mention magic being everywhere, just like science is in Stark.

That said, it's understandably not obvious to everyone, as the dialogue suggests she should have seen something that really stood out to not just April, but also the player. (Other than/in addition to the shift, as she speaks in plural.)  :)

Official Cannon Stroker :: Cookblocked!

bereft-banner.png

#6 Frungi

Frungi

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:34

Thanks for the responses! A bit to clear up though: I said after arriving (particularly after stepping out of the temple), so I wasn’t counting the shift. It sounded like she saw the unbelievable in between the two conversations with Tobias, but I didn’t:

The city is populated by magical races.

There are magical races everywhere. Not to mention magic being everywhere, just like science is in Stark.

Maybe I just wasn’t paying enough attention to the models, but what magical races? And where was the magic? I didn’t see any besides the blue fire, and I don’t think just hearing people talk about it would have convinced her that much more.

#7 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:21

Thanks for the responses! A bit to clear up though: I said after arriving (particularly after stepping out of the temple), so I wasn’t counting the shift. It sounded like she saw the unbelievable in between the two conversations with Tobias, but I didn’t:

Maybe I just wasn’t paying enough attention to the models, but what magical races? And where was the magic? I didn’t see any besides the blue fire, and I don’t think just hearing people talk about it would have convinced her that much more.

If you click on the performers on the stage in the market, April mentions something along the lines of, "Blue people? I guess that's normal here." Also, Crow is a magical creature, and the fact that he can speak surprises April. I really need to play through the saga again. I was trying to wait for the "complete edition" of DFC, but I don't know if I'll make it... or if I should.

#8 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3527 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:56

Also, depending on choices, she's seen either a dancing Banda appear at the café or an Arcadian forest appear while watching TV, I believe.

#9 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:55

Also, depending on choices, she's seen either a dancing Banda appear at the café or an Arcadian forest appear while watching TV, I believe.

You're exactly right, and this is yet another reason why I need to replay the saga. I've always thought that the forest had more of an impact because Fiona mentions her own reaction to it, but Mickey's really says a lot; she's tough and yet she was the most affected by it. Maybe her toughness was just a front. Who knows? We never learned anything more about her, and that's a damned shame.

#10 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:56

and thats all aside from the fact shes moved from her futuristic city to some unknown medieval place (in a few seconds), where she speaks/learns a magical language, and has huge wooden boats docked at the harbour. Not to mention all the maps are of places as far as she knows, are not on Earth.

#11 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:50

This is what April said to Tobias after returning to the temple:

I don't know. I'm...overwhelmed. Walking around out there, seeing with my own two eyes things that can't possibly exist... I kept thinking, it's all a dream. I'll wake up at any moment now and everything will return to normal. But then I realized, I'm still here. It's real. I can touch it, and I can smell it... And you know what? It doesn't make sense. Nothing make sense here. Magic, alien creatures, parallel worlds... I don't believe in those things. I don't believe in fairy tales.

As most of you have already said, it is her walking around and experiencing a city and its denizens which in her mind can't possibly exist.

• Riaise and mrKnask like this

#12 Frungi

Frungi

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:13

There’s nothing magical or impossible about big boats or blue body paint, or most other things she saw “out there [in Marcuria]” that “can’t possibly exist.” She’s apparently been to a total of two places on Earth; she could have been drugged and taken to a city-wide renfair anywhere else on the planet, save for the talking bird. Or would renfairs be impossible in 2209 Stark? Maybe I’m just being overly cynical.

Indrid’s explanation makes the most sense (and also explains why you’re able to ask the merchants about Stark before ever hearing of the word), but I was hoping for something more satisfying. Something that someone from an advanced superscience-based society wouldn’t have a hope of explaining away, like suddenly being levitated or experiencing a potion’s effects, or even seeing someone cheat at the cup game. Or seeing a unicorn, even. Because she sounded like the unreal was really in-your-face all over Marcuria, but from what I saw it just wasn’t.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to playing more tonight (haven’t had a chance since leaving Marcuria and starting this thread). And I’m kind of liking the fact that apparently aliens exist in the fantasy world, but not the science fiction world where we colonized space. Thanks for indulging a cranky skeptic!

Edited by Frungi, 30 September 2016 - 01:43.

• Indrid Cold likes this

#13 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3043 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:37

...and also explains why you’re able to ask the merchants about Stark before ever hearing of the word

You're right, I'd forgotten about that.

#14 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:55

There’s nothing magical or impossible about big boats or blue body paint, or most other things she saw “out there [in Marcuria]” that “can’t possibly exist.” She’s apparently been to a total of two places on Earth; she could have been drugged and taken to a city-wide renfair anywhere else on the planet, save for the talking bird. Or would renfairs be impossible in 2209 Stark? Maybe I’m just being overly cynical.

Indrid’s explanation makes the most sense (and also explains why you’re able to ask the merchants about Stark before ever hearing of the word), but I was hoping for something more satisfying. Something that someone from an advanced superscience-based society wouldn’t have a hope of explaining away, like suddenly being levitated or experiencing a potion’s effects, or even seeing someone cheat at the cup game. Or seeing a unicorn, even. Because she sounded like the unreal was really in-your-face all over Marcuria, but from what I saw it just wasn’t.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to playing more tonight (haven’t had a chance since leaving Marcuria and starting this thread). And I’m kind of liking the fact that apparently aliens exist in the fantasy world, but not the science fiction world where we colonized space. Thanks for indulging a cranky skeptic!

I look at it from why April considered the things she experience as impossible, not from what I would consider impossible from my perspective. But from my perspective the two most impossible things were - April "learning" All-tongue almost instantly and of course Crow. And that is good enough for me.

She heard the word Stark while she was coming to understand All-tongue. Tobias uses it a couple of times before she can comprehend what he is saying. Since All-tongue is a magical language she could have absorbed what Stark referred to while in the process of "learning" the language. Far fetched, but so is "learning" a language almost instantly.

• NeilClaimer likes this

#15 Frungi

Frungi

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:59

April "learning" All-tongue almost instantly

From April’s perspective, the guy just started speaking English, and she was still speaking English. No awareness of learning another language.

#16 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 19:20

From April’s perspective, the guy just started speaking English, and she was still speaking English. No awareness of learning another language.

That is why learning is in quotations, she wasn't learning anything in the conventional way of thinking. By her simply listening to Tobias as he spoke allowed the magic of All tongue to flow into her and in a relatively short time she was able to understand what Tobias was saying. She thought he was now speaking English, but he said no and that he spoke Naven. Tobias explained it was the magic of All tongue that allowed them to understand each other. In other words All tongue isn't a language in the conventional meaning but more on the order of a magical universal translator.

• NeilClaimer likes this

#17 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 30 September 2016 - 19:33

That is why learning is in quotations, she wasn't learning anything in the conventional way of thinking. By her simply listening to Tobias as he spoke allowed the magic of All tongue to flow into her and in a relatively short time she was able to understand what Tobias was saying. She thought he was now speaking English, but he said no and that he spoke Naven. Tobias explained it was the magic of All tongue that allowed them to understand each other. In other words All tongue isn't a language in the conventional meaning but more on the order of a magical universal translator.

Well, I guess it's a language as well, I don't think the Azadi would use it if it was just a magical translator. Or maybe I've missed something

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#18 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 00:14

Well, I guess it's a language as well, I don't think the Azadi would use it if it was just a magical translator. Or maybe I've missed something

Whether it is a language in it own right or some sort of translator, magic is involved. It appears in either case the Azadi are making an exception to their anti-magic rule.

#19 Frungi

Frungi

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 00:14

I think it’s more like, if you’re magically imbued, you can understand other such creatures through the Alltongue without any conscious effort on either side. It’s not a spoken language itself, but a facet of the world. We’re not hearing Na’ven when first meeting Tobias, but whatever local language he might speak. But then, we can understand his speech through Na’ven,

I’m still early in the game, so I may be way, way off. But that’s how it makes sense to me at least, how everyone sounds to April like they’re speaking English, and how everyone understands her even though she is speaking English. Or else she’d be uncontrollably speaking some fantasy language that totally replaced English in her brain and no one in Stark would ever be able to understand her, just like she originally couldn’t understand Tobias.

Back to being cynical, once April has listened enough, whatever Tobias is speaking is indiscernible from English to her. She just has to take his word for it that she can magically understand a foreign tongue now, because she can’t tell the difference any more than we players can. I guess the whole trip to Arcadia just seemed to me like the game wasn’t doing the whole “show, don’t tell” thing, and it kind of grated on me for some reason. Oh well.

• Riaise and Indrid Cold like this

#20 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7061 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 October 2016 - 13:33

Whether it is a language in it own right or some sort of translator, magic is involved. It appears in either case the Azadi are making an exception to their anti-magic rule.

Just like saying "I don't use science" doesn't make you able to ignore the natural laws of our world, saying "I don't use magic" is quite futile in Arcadia. Or so I imagine, anyway.
  • Riaise, Dmm, Indrid Cold and 2 others like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users