Photo

Roper Klax and Brian Westhouse - characters inconsistency.

spoilers TLJ Dreamfall Dreamfall Chapters

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Vanya-illin

Vanya-illin

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 September 2016 - 18:32

What doesn't fit however, that in his "Fingerlings" play he portraied himself as good character. If he was evil and remained (or became again) evil, than he should be proud of hes mischief.

It's been said (probably many times) that everyone is a hero in his own story.

• inspector likes this

#22 Vanya-illin

Vanya-illin

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 September 2016 - 18:48

In Dreamfall the First, Klacks hides behind a mask. He has to play a role and appear harmless — especially to April. I always thought players would see through that thin veneer of sincerity into his dark heart, and unravel the truth: I'm very surprised so few did: it was, perhaps, too subtle. But in my mind, Klacks would never be able to forgive April for taking everything from him.

Too subtle for some, maybe. As others have noted, April wasn't totally convinced by his apparent change of heart (I could practically hear her thinking "An explosive charm 'accidentally' inserted into page 108, yeah right!"). Also, Zoe's internal commentary when she first met him in the Old Town market indicated that she glimpsed evil behind his mask of good humor.

• inspector likes this

#23 LootHunter

LootHunter

Fringe Café Regular

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:14

In Dreamfall the First, Klacks hides behind a mask. He has to play a role and appear harmless — especially to April. I always thought players would see through that thin veneer of sincerity into his dark heart, and unravel the truth: I'm very surprised so few did: it was, perhaps, too subtle. But in my mind, Klacks would never be able to forgive April for taking everything from him.

Thank you for clearing that out. I think you are right, if in first Dreamfall Klax had at least once accused Aipril of cheating (using calculator) during their "duel" (even half jokingly) it would give player idea of his true feelings towards her.

#24 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:45

I think the issues being discussed here with DFC show up in lots of other plot driven games. So I don't think DFC can be singled out in that way.

If you've played Bioshock infinite (Big budget AAA game, lots of writers) its kinda goes:

<obscure plot set up/references><lots of shooting><more shooting><and now to tell you what the plot really is><end>

With Roper in Dreamfall, he hardly shows up at all. Once for a very minor part in Dreamfall, then hes gone again until the final parts of DFC. There was very little info to work on.

#25 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:16

There is still a possiblity that Brian was a Shifter o that he used dream energy stored in Dream Chamber to travel to Stark. I suspect that Brian can be behind Peats's death. I wonder if Brian (and Helena) worked for Cortez all the time. Brian's agenda is clear - save Stark by destruction of Magic in Arcadia and reunification of twin worlds.

#26 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 30 September 2016 - 13:17

There is still a possiblity that Brian was a Shifter o that he used dream energy stored in Dream Chamber to travel to Stark. [...] Brian's agenda is clear - save Stark by destruction of Magic in Arcadia and reunification of twin worlds.

I thought that Brian only wanted to reunite the worlds so that he could go home? So if he's already been back to Stark via Shifting, or any other means, surely he would have just stayed there rather than carry on with the whole reunification plan. :wacko:

• inspector likes this

#27 kla622

kla622

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 14:24

I thought that Brian only wanted to reunite the worlds so that he could go home? So if he's already been back to Stark via Shifting, or any other means, surely he would have just stayed there rather than carry on with the whole reunification plan. :wacko:

There is some (deliberate?) ambiguity as to Brian's motivations, but examining his dialogue, I agree with Pawlo_86 that his main reason for wanting to destroy magic was to save Stark from the troubles that the reunification of science and magic would unavoidably bring upon them. That was his initial belief at least, getting home was just a bonus, though that probably ended up being his main drive. I actually believe (though there is only a few pieces evidence for this) that this was actually the reason behind his journey to Arcadia, he wasn't just simply a curious traveller. This is mostly implied in his journal and during the balcony conversation with the Undreaming. Unfortunately, it's kind of impossible to grasp the true nature of his (and Cortez's) initial plan, I have a hard time beleieving that he wanted to initiate genocide in Arcadia, that probably came because of his corruption through the Undreaming, But some aspect of "saving Stark from magic" was always there in his mind, I believe.

With that said, I don't think that he was a Shifter or that he has ever been back to Stark. There was definitely a longing in him to get home, which wouldn't been right if could do that all along. The question of how Helena and Brian communicated, well, that's a mystery. I'm not even certain who approached whom. My guess would be that Brian reached out to Helena and not the other way around. ("You were just a puppet, nothing more."), but I guess it's also possible that Helena was the first to communcate with Arcadia, and Brian just took advantage of the situation. I like the theory that Gilmore was somehow involved in it though.

Let's hope that Ragnar's comments mean that we'll still learn something about this later, be it through the Complete Edition or somehow else. :)

• inspector and Starseeker like this

#28 inspector

inspector

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:19

Gilmore did play a bigger part in the story; Queenie, too — along with WATI's founder (there is a reference to that story at the very, very end). We simply didn't have time to address everything in episodes four and five, even though dialogue was written and recorded. We wanted to focus on the heart and soul of the story: the journeys of Zoë, April, Kian.

Maybe you should publish these details and side-stories in a different media. Because after all this, some aspects of the story seems like unconcluded.

• MisterMetropolis and Starseeker like this

#29 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:48

It seems that Brian wanted to use virus to kill all magicals and Engine was supposed to destroy Magic as force in Arcadia. Then twin worlds would be ready for reunification and Stark would be saved.

Helena wanted to use Eingana to reshape Stark.

I think that Dreamer Agenda was Cortez's plan to make twin worlds ready to became one. After all Cortez told April in TLJ that worlds weren't ready for reunification...yet.

Cortez to McAllen: Our time will come eventually. But not by your doing!
Cortez to Brian: You are needed. Take my hand Brian. The future awaits us.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spoilers, TLJ, Dreamfall, Dreamfall Chapters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users