188 replies to this topic

#161 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 May 2015 - 14:21

I think we coerced RTG into these reward updates. :mellow:

I don't know if it was "us" specifically. There have been a few threads about rewards and tweets about them and I have to imagine they get emails and Kickstarter comments about it, too. I wouldn't worry too much. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#162 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 22 May 2015 - 14:23

Even if it had been only due to us, I wouldn't have worried about it ;)

• agirlnamedbob and khh like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#163 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6168 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 14:33

Well, the FAQ update just now was surprisingly painless...

• agirlnamedbob and khh like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#164 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 22 May 2015 - 14:35

Ha. Strange coincidence.

#165 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 May 2015 - 14:48

Even if they just saw us talking about it, there are bound to be other backers wondering. So I was very happy to see the rewards update. 

• Tina and agirlnamedbob like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#166 mwyatt139

mwyatt139

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 22:53

I bought Dreamfall Chapters from the Mac App Store :) when will chapter 5 be released? I can only get 1-4

#167 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 May 2016 - 23:00

I answered your question in the other thread you started, but I'll post this here, too, just to be on the safe side. (And for the benefit of anyone else who comes in here with the same question.) 

The game will have five parts. Book Five doesn't have an official release date yet, but the team just released a Kickstarter Update today outlining where they're at in the production process. You can read it over here

So yeah. Sorry I can't provide a firm release date, but it should be soon!

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#168 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:20

Well, there's a difference between chapters and books. What you're wondering about is when book 5 will be released, and that will be "soon". Separately from that, the game will consist of 13 chapters, Just like The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

#169 mwyatt139

mwyatt139

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 16:29

Am I missing out on anything because I can't play the Longest Journey? It's for Windows. I found it on Steam and though I can usually emulate games through WINESKIN apparently games that have their own client that downloads the games, you can't emulate :( If I could find a Mac version of the longest Journey I'd be all over that :D

#170 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 16:35

Am I missing out on anything because I can't play the Longest Journey? It's for Windows. I found it on Steam and though I can usually emulate games through WINESKIN apparently games that have their own client that downloads the games, you can't emulate :( If I could find a Mac version of the longest Journey I'd be all over that :D

You're missing out on the best game in the series. This is my opinion, and also the majority of users on here. I recommend the GOG version, which  you can tweak with nvidia profile inspector to turn on AA to smooth out the jagged edges. I used the settings mentioned here, and now it looks beautiful for me.

• Nathanael likes this

#171 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1358 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 16:37

There was also an iOS port of TLJ that Funcom put out last year, if you've got an iPad or iPhone.

#172 GistOfSpirit

GistOfSpirit

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 16:42

Wineskin is based on Wine, and Wine doesn't deal very well with TLJ apparently (see here: https://appdb.winehq...cation&iId=1937 ). Currently I think your best chance to play TLJ on a computer (as opposed to an iPad or iPhone, like Ringtail said above) is to have Windows, either installed directly on your Mac or in a virtual machine.

However, there may be a light at the end of the tunnel, although still very distant: The ResidualVM project seems to have had a little work done on supporting TLJ on modern systems (and not just Windows), although it's unclear what state the support is currently at. A bug-free version may still be several years away, if it ever comes.

#173 mwyatt139

mwyatt139

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 16:48

There was also an iOS port of TLJ that Funcom put out last year, if you've got an iPad or iPhone.

I found it but on a small screen I'm not sure how that would go lol. I don't know if I could emulate stuff through GoG. It's got the same thing as Steam :( I really wish a Mac version could be made

Wineskin is based on Wine, and Wine doesn't deal very well with TLJ apparently (see here: https://appdb.winehq...cation&iId=1937 ). Currently I think your best chance to play TLJ on a computer (as opposed to an iPad or iPhone, like Ringtail said above) is to have Windows, either installed directly on your Mac or in a virtual machine.

However, there may be a light at the end of the tunnel, although still very distant: The ResidualVM project seems to have had a little work done on supporting TLJ on modern systems (and not just Windows), although it's unclear what state the support is currently at. A bug-free version may still be several years away, if it ever comes.

For now I'll be a girl dreaming. When my dream comes true please pinch me ;)

#174 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 16:54

I found it but on a small screen I'm not sure how that would go lol. I don't know if I could emulate stuff through GoG. It's got the same thing as Steam :( I really wish a Mac version could be made

GOG has its own client that downloads the games, but you don't have to use it. I always use their direct download links in my browser and they work fine for me. Their installers always just install the games and leave them at that. They don't check their server or whatnot to make sure your account has access to the game like Steam does (if I understand how Steam works).

#175 mwyatt139

mwyatt139

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 17:59

Ohh! I remember now :) I've downloaded from them before :)

#176 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1358 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 19:27

I played it on an iPad (Not sure what version we have, it's a couple years old.) and the picture size was fine, and I didn't have trouble with clicking on the hotspots. Not sure how it would be on an iPhone screen. But hopefully you can get it working on your Mac! :)

#177 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:31

There is a Mac wrapper for the Steam version of the game that is supposed to work all right. I've never used it myself (don't have a Mac), but you could give it a go
http://portingteam.c...ongest-journey/

Then you only have to get the files downloaded somehow. The game doesn't have to be launched from the client as there's no DRM, so you should be able to install it on a friends computer and just copy the files or something.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#178 Bakhtosh

Bakhtosh

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 19 May 2016 - 15:58

The TLJ support is implemented in the latest Daily Builds of ResidualVM. I downloaded the Windows Build and played the few scenes. So far it worked.

In the ResidualVM game graphics options I selected fullscreen, preserve aspect ratio and OpenGL with shaders as game renderer. The game gets scaled to the desktop resolution this way. As a result the 3D objects are rendered in this higher resolution. If you force the usage of antialiasing (AA) for ResidualVM in your video driver settings the 3D objects look even smoother. This also works with NVidia cards without the missing objects/flicker problem you often get with TLJ with forced AA on NVidia cards. There are a few downsides though. Compared to the 3D objects the background art and some animated objects now look pixelated. And with the higher resolution you quickly notice that the 3D objects are quite low-poly with blurred textures. So to me it looks better if you switch the desktop to a lower resolution first before you start ResidualVM.

I don't know how many bugs there are. But so far its looks like not many people are testing the game using ResidualVM. There are only 3 issue reports (no bugs) regarding the STARK Engine (engine TLJ uses). So trying the game using ResidualVM and report bugs might be a good idea to get the existing bugs sorted out. Since the latest Windows Daily Build has TLJ support, the latest Linux and MacOS Daily Builds probably have it too.

• GistOfSpirit likes this

#179 GistOfSpirit

GistOfSpirit

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 16:01

The TLJ support is implemented in the latest Daily Builds of ResidualVM. I downloaded the Windows Build and played the few scenes. So far it worked.

So you're saying the wiki is out of date? http://wiki.residual...Longest_Journey

The TODO page says things are missing, like tooltips, the diary icon, character collisions and other stuff.

#180 Bakhtosh

Bakhtosh

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 19 May 2016 - 16:30

So you're saying the wiki is out of date? http://wiki.residual...Longest_Journey

The TODO page says things are missing, like tooltips, the diary icon, character collisions and other stuff.

At least partially...

Inventory: Add tooltips => were implemented
Game view: Add tooltips => were implemented
Dialog panel: Fix the colors => haven't noticed something weird so far (see attached screenshot)
Top menu: Implement the diary button => button is there, but opens the normal ResidualVM ingame menu
Top menu: Implement the tooltips => were implemented
Top menu: Play the animations / scripted display => icons aren't animated
Overall: Complete font support => hard to say, so far I could read everything
Main menu => not accessible
Options screen => not accessible
Save / Load screen => you can enter the ResidualVM ingame menu from the options icon and save/load there
Book of secrets => you can't access the book of secrets, but it's not necessary to complete the game (more of a bonus) or is it?
Diary screens => you can't access the diary, but it's not necessary to complete the game, or is it?

Shadows => still missing
Walk collisions => so far I wasn't able to walk through other objects, at least a walkmesh is present
Skeletal animation blending => still missing, animations sometimes change abruptly
Complete BIFF meshes support (textures, lighting) => I don't have enough knowledge to judge this

Attached Files

• GistOfSpirit likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FAQ, answers without questions;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users