188 replies to this topic

#21 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6153 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:17

I think I really hit a nerve or two with some of the stuff I integrated in the FAQ. Haven't even seen anyone talking about art contests and many many other things for months.

Didn't the fan art competition already happen, right toward the end of the Kickstarter in 2013? (mentioned in Update 33, among others)

Yes, no and yes again. There WAS a fan art competition that ended March 6th, 2013 (starting with KS update 17 and ending with KS update 25), one with a rather perverse deadline on short notice; but that WASN'T the intended source for Emma's gallery art. Update 22 doesn't reference the running competition, but rather speaks of 'submissions' for the gallery, with more information 'on the way' and the deadline being 'a long, long way off' – while at that time, the deadline for the first fan art contest was less than three days away...

Now that I reread those paragraphs, it does meet the eye that RTG talks about gallery submissions there and not about another competition. However IIRC Ragnar has called it a competition afterwards; also, submissions would probably be quite scarce and low in quality if the whole thing turned out to be just for the fame of it. Some nifty prizes will have to be dangled in front of artists' eyes here. :ehehe:

So I'll only slightly adjust the FAQ for now. ;)

I'm not sure if this is information you want to include or not...

We probably wouldn't do RTG much of a favor if we described this highly convoluted way of upgrading a pledge. Standardizing and simplifying that process is probably a high priority for RTG right now, so getting people used to a far more complex and less successful process could really backfire in an FAQ.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#22 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:24

I think I really hit a nerve or two with some of the stuff I integrated in the FAQ. Haven't even seen anyone talking about art contests and many many other things for months.

But doesn't that mean they're not really frequently asked questions? ;) :P

We probably wouldn't do RTG much of a favor if we described this highly convoluted way of upgrading a pledge. Standardizing and simplifying that process is probably a high priority for RTG right now, so getting people used to a far more complex and less successful process could really backfire in an FAQ.

Yeah, I agree with not including it in the FAQ. Since the upgrading Valiah described included a change of status in BackerKit (from processed to not), I'm assuming this is still a manually done process. And that it will be as long as they're dealing with upgrading pledges instead of having new pledges. I'm also sort of assuming that RTG doesn't want lots of people upgrading pledges, unless they're upgrading a lot, like Valiah did. At least from Ragnar's posts, I've got the impression that as long as they have to go through BackerKit, it's a lot of manual work and hassle.

So I sort of saw Rakel's "go ahead and do this to upgrade" yesterday as a way of saying that she was looking at that at the moment, and that she can deal with it now. But going through the same procedure (using that particular mail address etc) may not have the same immediate response and fix a couple of months from now as it had yesterday. So putting it in the FAQ could potentially cause people to get angry from lack of fast response, or something like that.

• Vainamoinen and khh like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#23 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6153 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:00

But doesn't that mean they're not really frequently asked questions? ;) :P

Neither does my FAQ show the actual questions, Tina. ;)

If the gallery setting is done well (which it no doubt will be as the graphic design on this is just beautiful) then it would be cool to wander around and vote periodically. Maybe a nightmare to implement, but just an idea.

Thought about this a bit more...

Zoë could step into the Galerij de Vrijer (I totally made that up) during Book 1 at a time when April's and Emma's stuff is on display, and Emma would say that she's in a bit of a pickle concerning future exhibitions. The first episode could be quite a literal call for entries. Heck, Emma could even personally describe what she's looking for in some detail. RTG then sets a contest deadline to be in three months (as opposed to the mere week of the first contest), implement the fan contributions mere days before the new episode releases, and every time Zoë revisits Europolis, ka-wam, a totally new exhibition. Artists may contribute several times, but can only win a grand prize once. How cool would that be, eh?

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited and 3 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#24 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:47

Great idea that one about Emma's gallery, Vainamoinen! I hope that RTG see it and are able to implement it somehow.

• The third and last protagonist, an Arcadian born female, has not yet been confirmed for Book 1.

I know I'm probably the minority opinion here, but I still think that the phrase that I bolded in the quote above should be removed as not officially and unambiguously confirmed (and not necessary for this FAQ frankly). Or if you really want to keep it in, add a "source" link so that people can judge for themselves about the validity of that assumption.

• Vainamoinen likes this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#25 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6153 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:32

I know I'm probably the minority opinion here, but I still think that the phrase that I bolded in the quote above should be removed as not officially and unambiguously confirmed (and not necessary for this FAQ frankly). Or if you really want to keep it in, add a "source" link so that people can judge for themselves about the validity of that assumption.

As far as I know, the source here was JourneyCon, so there's no link to give. Could the visitors of that Con chime in here and evaluate how ambiguous those statements really were?

#26 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 04 August 2014 - 13:24

Well, I was in Journeycon myself and I think there wasn't any statement about the 3rd character being an Arcadian native. Instead, there were some "clues" given regarding the 3rd character: a bunch of pictures that I mostly overlooked, but others remember in more detail (see here, including the Norwegian article mentioned at the top of the linked page.). And one of the clues/pictures seems to be a radio of all things, something I wouldn't easily associate with an Arcadian. 

Also, I'm pretty sure that the source of the Arcadian native assumption comes from this thread were the revelations (in blog, reddit and twitter) that "the 3rd playable character is female" and "an Arcadian will travel to Stark" were combined into one ("a female Arcadian native will travel to Stark"), without that fusion being necessary. Kian could be (and probably is, in my opinion) the Arcadian travelling to Stark, which allows for the possibility of the 3rd character being either Arcadian or Starkian. She's definitely female though.

Most of the above has been already discussed in the "April Ryan visual?" thread (and I'm repeating the more relevant -and objective- parts here, devoid from my own speculation on April's role, that is totally subjective instead)

• Vainamoinen and trentjaspar like this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#27 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6153 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 14:06

Good digging in the old forum; but particularly the statements in the April Ryan visual thread got me strongly thinking otherwise.

Ragnar had stated it on Twitter, it was mentioned during the kickstarter, and it was also discussed at JourneyCon. She is a female Arcadian native and she's being affectionately referred to as Radiobird McClockhands based on some clues that were given during JourneyCon.

I'm still opening this for further debate, however! JourneyCon info, if stated there with some certainty, should count though (after all, that's e.g. the only source for the Simon Poole info).

All that, however, doesn't answer the question as to what Arcadian protagonist will travel to Stark. It could still be Kian, which I'd find the better idea.

#28 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 August 2014 - 14:10

I think the only clues given at journeycon was the pictures. The wiki only links to the two tweets saying the 3rd character will be female and "not known to us" from before (although I don't feel like "not known to us" equals "never heard of", because then how could the journeycon pictures be "possible spoilers in the hands of the community"?).

Unless there was some reddit ama QA where more information was given, but I thought I'd been a good girl and included all that kind of info in the wiki back in the day. Can't guarantee I haven't missed/forgotten something though.
  • Vainamoinen likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#29 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6153 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 15:10

All right - I'm striking the "Arcadian" bit for now.

There should be quite some GamesCom reveals, I guess. Next major FAQ overhaul mid August. ;)

• toremygg likes this

#30 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:25

I just registered here after reading on GOG that DC is now officially announced. Unfortunately on GOG there is only the English language confirmed and as I just read on the Kickstarter page Ragnar still said something about a German version thet will be released simultaneously with the English Version of the game(s). My question is:

Will DC on GOG come with the German language simultaneoulsly (subtitles) as well or does the statement from Ragnar only mean that the RETAIL version available from Eurovideo will be released at the same time and feature German language/subs?

Any way I cannot wait for the game. After the Tex Murphy sequel this is the most waited game sequel in my life.

• Vainamoinen likes this

#31 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 03 September 2014 - 14:07

Hello, Marko! I think you should get in early here and make sure we don't have the same issues with the translations. ;)

#32 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6153 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 14:09

I just registered here after reading on GOG that DC is now officially announced. Unfortunately on GOG there is only the English language confirmed and as I just read on the Kickstarter page Ragnar still said something about a German version thet will be released simultaneously with the English Version of the game(s). My question is:

Will DC on GOG come with the German language simultaneoulsly (subtitles) as well or does the statement from Ragnar only mean that the RETAIL version available from Eurovideo will be released at the same time and feature German language/subs?

That's an interesting question. Particularly because in the past, German retail publishers like Koch have concocted all sorts of contractual obligations to make the German language version of actually German games exclusive to the retail edition. I've always seen this as a gross example of 'deculturizing' the product. Daedalic Entertainment has a long and unfortunate history in that respect, as do particularly adventure games. In some other cases (Telltale etc.), those publishers make the German language version themselves, and they don't want digital publishers to 'steal' the fruits of their labour.

However, we can be fairly certain that it won't happen with Chapters.

The reason for this is simple. German and French languages were a Kickstarter stretch goal, so at the very minimum they have to be delivered to backers. But backers get the very same version of Chapters as e.g. Humble Store customers. How then could the Humble Store version not feature the German voices? Backers have paid for this language version, so of course they will get this language version from tier two (digital only) on. Which means that regular customers will necessarily profit from that as well. As it should be with Kickstarters.

EuroVideo can not monopolize the German voices as those were explicitly paid for by backers.

The German voiceovers are not EuroVideo's to withhold and not RTG's to contractually bargain with.

End of story.

Also, the German "retail" edition is just Book One on a disc and a Steam code for the rest. As far as I know, not even Steam features selective language distribution on their platform. Regular customers are getting these language versions, rest assured. Nothing else is really feasible.

At least in that respect, the results and the spirit of the Kickstarter can't be bent to the retail publisher's will.

But I do hate that the question has to be asked and answered. :(

#33 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 September 2014 - 18:14

Also, the German "retail" edition is just Book One on a disc and a Steam code for the rest. As far as I know, not even Steam features selective language distribution on their platform. Regular customers are getting these language versions, rest assured. Nothing else is really feasible.

There can be individual Steam builds for different regions so, yes, it's definitely possible.

In our case, GOG will have the full German version of the game. As will the Humble Store and Steam. Everyone gets everything. We're not making any regional changes, so if you're an American who wants to play the game with German audio and English subtitles, go right ahead.

Do keep in mind that our stretch goals facilitated for getting the game translated: it didn't necessarily pay for the full localisation. We needed the funds to create the tools and the framework required to take the game to new languages; first and foremost German and French (plus Norwegian; that's part of our funding deal with the government). With a framework in place, we were able to go to local partners with the game and sign the deals needed to distribute the game locally. We have neither the competence nor the resources to actually do the localisation ourselves — it would most likely be a huge disaster. Without those stretch goals being met, however, there would of course be no translations whatsoever.

• Vainamoinen, khh, spyked and 3 others like this

#34 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 20:01

Thank you Ragnar for clearing this up. So I WILL pre-order the game on GOG as soon as I can (for now it is only announced and not possible to pre-order). To buy DC was always a no brainer for me and now that it has included my native language too I am more excited than ever.

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#35 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 September 2014 - 23:28

There can be individual Steam builds for different regions so, yes, it's definitely possible.

I am picturing V banging his fist on the table with steam heated water vapor coming out of his ears.  :o

In our case, GOG will have the full German version of the game. As will the Humble Store and Steam. Everyone gets everything. We're not making any regional changes, so if you're an American who wants to play the game with German audio and English subtitles, go right ahead.

Oooh...so I can listen to a French Zoë with English subtitles.  Hmmm....  :wub:

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" and "The Cat Lady."  Previous game: "A Bird Story"

#36 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6153 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 23:30

I am picturing V banging his fist on the table with steam heated water vapor coming out of his ears.  :o

Undecided on this. After all, digital distributors WILL have to be able to distribute e.g. partly censored versions of games according to the laws of these countries re. inappropriate material. So, even if these mechanisms will be used for evil, it's not necessarily the publisher's evil.

Oooh...so I can listen to a French Zoë with English subtitles. Hmmm.... :wub:

Uhhh... ummmm.... certainly. Some time in late 2015, I guess. ;)
  • trentjaspar likes this

#37 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 September 2014 - 23:32

Yeah I know...we Americans don't get any of the good most artistic stuff.  :angry:

• Vainamoinen likes this

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" and "The Cat Lady."  Previous game: "A Bird Story"

#38 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6153 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 23:33

Don't worry. Ragnar has taken out the penis for all of us.
  • toremygg likes this

#39 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 September 2014 - 23:40

...Can we start a "Save The Peens" petition? 

...Please...?

Don't worry. Ragnar has taken out the penis for all of us.

Also, I want to say I totally did misread one of the words in this for a moment and did a double take and was like "When did I miss that ?" 

• Tina and Bruno like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#40 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 697 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 04 September 2014 - 23:44

It happened one night. You might call it a 'nocturnal omission'.
  • trentjaspar likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FAQ, answers without questions;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users