188 replies to this topic

#1 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 14:46

Please note that this is an unofficial FAQ that isn't maintained all too regularly. Sources are checked as thoroughly as possible, but mistakes and outdated info will likely still occur. If you spot something that's wrong or would like to add or ask anything, please just post in this thread!

(1) Backer reward retrieval steps, Backerkit, Humble Store [updated November 5th, 2015]

• To receive and retrieve all your rewards, you will need your Backerkit as well as a Humble Store account.
  • Link your Kickstarter/Paypal pledge to your Humble account by using the same email address. In your Humble account/Library page, click "claim past purchases". That should generate an entry for Dreamfall Chapters at the bottom of the Humble game page.
  • Afterwards, link your RTG forum account to the Humble account by redeeming your backer code from Humble and adding it to this forum (detailed instructions here). This should give you a forum badge.
  • note that the Humble Store only displays digital rewards, and it only displays the highest corresponding pledge level that gives digital rewards. Don’t worry then if the Humble Store displays a lower or slightly different pledge level than the one you have pledged! 
  • The Backerkit, on the other hand, should absolutely display the correct pledge level.
  • some of the digital rewards, like wallpapers, are already available via Humble. From the Dreamfall Chapters main page, click on "audio" to retrieve the soundtrack of Book 1 and on "ebooks" to get the Book 1 artbook and Propast map.
  • You have to follow a slightly different process to redeem copies of The Longest Journey purchased via the Kickstarter. (detailed instructions here)

(2) Stretch goal & reward delivery [updated November 8th, 2017]

Stretch Goals:

• "Apples & Penguins" DELIVERED — these episode versions released together with the PC/Windows versions.
  • "The Loremaster" CANCELLED — Books for the library can not be collected even in the Final Cut.
  • "A Longer Journey" DELIVERED Abnaxus is in more than half the Books.
  • "The House of all Worlds" DELIVERED — The HoaW is definitely in Chapters, starting with Book 1.
  • "Storytime" CANCELLED : the recap of Dreamfall’s story as an interactive graphic novel has been postponed several times (source, source, discussion thread). The recap video accessible from the Dreamfall Chapters menu was explicitly not supposed to be a substitute of any kind. However, since it has been substituted by a second version of that video in the Final Cut, it's obvious that it will factually remain that substitute.
  • "A Richer World": PARTLY DELIVERED/CANCELLED There were, to my knowledge, never any real instrument recording sessions for the music as promised in the Kickstarter. The singer/songwriter in the game is Egil Olsen, featured in Book 1 and 2. There supposedly was to be another fan art contest the winners of which were meant to be featured in Emma's gallery, but no call for art submissions was issued, and the contest itself was probably cancelled after some harsh negative reactions by industry professionals to a planned Chapters fan music contest. The entire in-game gallery stretch goal is cancelled.
  • "The Spoken World" PARTLY DELIVERED/CANCELLEDLanguage versions: As of now, the German language version is complete with voices. There are French subtitles. Since the game was finished, none of the many questions concerning the outstanding French voices was answered by RTG officials on this forum or the Steam forum. The Voice actors: From the original TLJ/DF cast, Sarah Hamilton (April), Roger Raines (Crow), André Sogliuzzo (Blind Bob) and Ralph Byers (Brian Westhouse/Roper Klacks) return.
  • "The Longest Journey Home" — This stretch goal has not been reached. After initial enthusiasm about another Kickstarter for the game, Ragnar has cast a lot of doubt on whether TLJH will ever happen (source).

Rewards:

• Forum Badges DELIVERED JUN 2014 — see above for retrieval instructions
  • Wallpapers DELIVERED — see above for retrieval instructions
  • T-Shirts DELIVERED
  • Digital Copy of the game DELIVERED OCT 2014 — see above for retrieval instructions
  • Boxed Copy of the game PENDING  — Kickstarter updates #108 to #112 teased imminent delivery for (only) the lower physical tiers.
  • Journeys:Birth POSTPONED — release date as of yet unknown, several dates set by RTG have passed, among them the 2013 date for the text version and the October 21st, 2014 date for some of the short stories to be available to Special Edition regular customers.
  • The Art of Dreamfall chapters DELIVERED OCT 2014/PENDING — Book 1's artbook can be retrieved via PDF/Humble (see above). The printed full version is still pending. The "Special Editions" of DFC will not receive an update to the full artbook!
  • The Tome of the Balance PENDING
  • Making-of video LIKELY CANCELLED — If no one shot proper video footage during development, no way we'll get a sensible making of video many months after development has ceased.
  • Journeys Graphic Novel PENDING
  • Official Soundtrack DELIVERED OCT 2014/PENDING — The full Final Cut soundtrack is still not available to backers November 8th, 2017. The penultimate cut OST is available to backers 50$+ via Humble.
  • USB key PENDING
  • Map of Arcadia PENDING — a glimpse of the map was shown in Book 4. Artist Christoffer 'Sunrider' Grav has posted that more locations will be added to that map in the backer version (source).
  • Backer earlier access DELIVERED OCT 2014/CANCELLED — Book 1 was delivered 24 hours early to Steam users. Piracy concerns have brought RTG to not do that again for the following episodes.
  • Additional clothing/hairstyle/accessories PARTLY DELIVERED JULY 2017 WITH THE FINAL CUT/PARTLY CANCELLED
  • Backer names in the credits DELIVERED OCT 2014

Edited by Vainamoinen, 20 February 2018 - 19:14.

• wandrew, Tina, Jecica and 14 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#2 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 29 July 2014 - 14:59

Great work! Stickied even if it's still WiP :)

Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#3 spyked

spyked

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBucharest, Romania

Posted 29 July 2014 - 15:09

(6) Main characters, returning voice actors
  • No other announcements concerning voice actors have been made by RTG as of July 28th, 2014.

I was under the impression that Roger Raines was also confirmed. Unfortunately I have no sources on that except this E3 report.

#4 Guyra

Guyra

Vestrum Herald

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1720 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 15:12

Great work, this FAQ will be a great help to a lot of people(myself included), I'm sure! :D

• The third protagonist, an Arcadian born female, has not yet been confirmed for Book 1.
  • Sarah Hamilton will return according to the Kickstarter page; RTG has said that her role won’t necessarily be April Ryan though.

I think I want April Ryan to be a playable character in this game a bit too much ... I just came up with the idea that perhaps she died, but was reborn - in Arcadia. Thereby making her the third playable character. xD

Official Cannon Stroker :: Cookblocked!

bereft-banner.png

#5 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11215 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 16:10

You're not the first person to posit something like that, Guyra. ;) 

And THANK YOU, Vainamoinen! This is great.

I'll try to come up with some stuff to add when my schedule calms down a bit. 

• Vainamoinen likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#6 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 17:40

Okay, finally got rid of all that preliminary red stuff. I'll be back with more... ;)

edit: Spotted one little presupposition in my FAQ which I'm willing to let prevail: Although the Kickstarter never uses the term Enclave (TLJ location & described in Kickstarter update 44) for what is called the Grand Library of Marcuria on Kickstarter (stretch goal "Loremaster"), I assume that the very same place is meant.

edit2: I seem to be incapable of labeling Simon Poole's musical tracks for Dreamfall (2006) adequately. Are the St. Petersburg and Factory tracks "ambient industrial" or "dark ambient industrial" respectively? Help me out here.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#7 Pylons of Light

Pylons of Light

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:43

It is currently unknown which episode(s) will feature Emma’s museum; there supposedly was to be a fan art contest the winners of which were meant to be featured in the museum, but no call for entries has yet been issued.

Yeah, get on this RTG! It takes time to draw this stuff. Although probably the number of drawings of existing TLJ characters would be limited, especially the ones Emma has never met (unless they wanted to insert a subtext about her being able to paint real-life stuff from Arcadia, which would be interesting)... It would make sense for April to appear a bunch of times in Emma's work though, Zoe and Charlie a bit too.

• Vainamoinen likes this

#8 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 18:30

Yeah, get on this RTG! It takes time to draw this stuff. Although probably the number of drawings of existing TLJ characters would be limited, especially the ones Emma has never met (unless they wanted to insert a subtext about her being able to paint real-life stuff from Arcadia, which would be interesting)...

Indeed, it was an interesting proposition that probably wasn't entirely thought through, because it would ask fans to create some kind of fitting meta fan art – art that somehow embodies the franchise yet doesn't too explicitly show any of it. A creative challenge indeed, one that should come with a deadline months and months in the future. Actually, they might want to start right now with clear instructions (WHAT DO THEY WANT FROM US???).

The strange bit that occured to me while compiling the FAQ is that Ragnar said about Europolis that Book One shows "all of it". Now Emma's gallery is part of Europolis, and all of Europolis is in Book 1; does that mean the art contest is canceled and the museum already finished without us?

Looking forward to Emma's art in any case. As far as I remember, the gal was obsessed with dragons the Maerum some random Arcadian creatures. ;)

#9 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1624 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 30 July 2014 - 18:34

Is Emma's Museum definitely in Europolis ?

#10 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2073 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 July 2014 - 18:44

No matter where it is, it's not necessarily accessible in Book 1, even if you're able to locate it.

#11 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 18:49

Is Emma's Museum definitely in Europolis ?

Well, yes. No going back here.

In addition to the soundtrack, A Richer World opens up an in-game gallery, run by a familiar character. And that character is Emma, April Ryan's friend from The Longest Journey (and Dreamfall); a renowned performing artist who has established herself in Europolis.

Emma recently opened a new gallery in the city, and this is the gallery you will be able to visit in-game. In addition to her own art -- and April's; Emma was able to save some of it after her friend vanished -- this gallery also contains art by some of YOU guys!

Yes, we will take the very best of fan art and feature it in Emma's gallery -- with your blessing and permission, of course. We will have more information about this soon! And don't worry, the deadline for the gallery submissions is a long, long way off.

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#12 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 30 July 2014 - 19:14

With the transition to episodes there's a whole set of other deadlines that necessarily become ambiguous. Some of which they may have anticipated and others not. I'm not worried about it, but perhaps my reason for this is wrong.

The way I see the episode thing is that the game is not utterly completed until the final chapter is released and one can get the entire game as a single package, be it digital or physical copy. So rather than having to have every single piece of fan art that will ever make it into the game all ready for the first episode, it would be perfectly feasible and reasonable, imo, for the designers to start off with their own art in place. Perhaps also using the few fan pieces they already have, approve of and have permission for. But nothing would stop them from updating the gallery along the way until the final episode is done and the whole game is finished.

Dare I even reach out to a social feature possibility here? Heh. It would be fun to have the art in Emma's gallery periodically change as players submit stuff after the game is released. One could even vote on the best, or have some other feature "the kids" who like the whole social thing would enjoy. That would be one thing I would use. I'm not interested in what choices other people made - sorry, I just don't care, maybe that's my own issue - but it would be nice to see some good fanbase contributions that one could pop in and have a look at even after the quest is finished.

If the gallery setting is done well (which it no doubt will be as the graphic design on this is just beautiful) then it would be cool to wander around and vote periodically. Maybe a nightmare to implement, but just an idea.

• Vainamoinen, Valiah and Pylons of Light like this

#13 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 19:30

Hmmmm... months pass between Books (in game), after all.
  • Edreamer Jamil likes this

#14 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 30 July 2014 - 19:36

Yeah, get on this RTG! It takes time to draw this stuff. Although probably the number of drawings of existing TLJ characters would be limited, especially the ones Emma has never met (unless they wanted to insert a subtext about her being able to paint real-life stuff from Arcadia, which would be interesting)... It would make sense for April to appear a bunch of times in Emma's work though, Zoe and Charlie a bit too.

Emma's holosculpture in TLJ was of a Maerum, so you could argue that the magic leaking through from Arcadia inspired her to create all of her future works of art. Maybe. :P

• khh and Pylons of Light like this

#15 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1624 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 30 July 2014 - 19:41

Emma's holosculpture in TLJ was of a Maerum, so you could argue that the magic leaking through from Arcadia inspired her to create all of her future works of art. Maybe. :P

TLJ very start of Chapter 11 spoiler

Spoiler

#16 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 30 July 2014 - 19:49

Spoiler

It may well be, I'm just going by what the Wiki says.  ;) But even so, the point still stands, Emma has had some Arcadian influence before, so her art gallery could be hand waved that way.

• Edreamer Jamil and Pylons of Light like this

#17 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7095 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 July 2014 - 21:19

Spoiler

No, it's of one of the Maerum. When it briefly comes to life in chapter two (I think) it's clearly coloured like them, and not like the reborn white dragon.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#18 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1302 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 00:09

Didn't the fan art competition already happen, right toward the end of the Kickstarter in 2013? (mentioned in Update 33, among others)

Looks like the RTG page where the finalists were posted went away when they redesigned their site, but from what I recall, there were plenty of entries that wouldn't look out of place in-game.

#19 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:20

Oh yes, how could we forget that?! I remember there being different categories but not that there was anything mentioned about the winners or other entrants.

Too late for my contribution? :D

• Valiah likes this

#20 Valiah

Valiah

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:43

I'm not sure if this is information you want to include or not... But I just went through the process of upgrading my pledge after my backerkit had been locked, and I figure this information might be useful for others considering doing the same.

First step is contacting Red Thread Games directly using backers@redthreadgames.com (don't use the "help" form on backerkit, 2 weeks and still no response). Once they have received the request they go in and change the pledge level in backerkit. Next time you log in it will show an outstanding balance for the difference and you'll be able to answer questions about your (new) rewards. The payment information is collected using Stripe, but the card will not be charged immediately. According to the information there the card will not be charged until 1 October 2014, and you can make changes to your order up until that date.

A bit of a relief that last bit.
  • Vainamoinen likes this

WARNING: This post may contain opinions, and they might not be yours

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FAQ, answers without questions;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users