Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3980 posts
  • LocationA shack in the Northern Continent

Posted 08 September 2016 - 15:30

PlayStation died yesterday.

Nah they just evolved into a new form. They never die ;)
Unlike Microsoft.... lol

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

Blog - https://chocobosage.wordpress.com/

#22 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 23:15

Ok, thanks for letting us know.

Not too much we can do on our end I think. Need to talk to our hosting service provider. :)

What Erika said. :mellow:

865a0967672c3579488a5540d547863d_allllda

Edit: 20 seconds just opening the edit window, and the forum just loves to get stuck while posting. :(

• ct2651 likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#23 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:34

What Erika said. :mellow:

865a0967672c3579488a5540d547863d_allllda

Edit: 20 seconds just opening the edit window, and the forum just loves to get stuck while posting. :(

It hapeens to me too, that 30 or more second loading time.

#24 Pyragor

Pyragor

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:56

Maybe I missed the information, but what about french dub ?

#25 Scramkid86

Scramkid86

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 21:38

I have searched the Internet and the forums for any mention of an iOS version of dreamfall chapters, With no luck..Is it ever gonna happen?please respond, all,I have is an iPad 4 and I love these types of games! TLJ is one of my favorites but iOS is thriving and there are not enough games like this one and myst style for us. Please tell me you did not give up on iOS!?,.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#26 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 21:28

I wouldn't get your hopes up. ipads are a completely different class of hardware and while I've never played DFC I just can't imagine porting the game to ipads and expecting more than ten frames a minute.

#27 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:06

So how's the update going? Early October is over...

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#28 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:22

I wouldn't get your hopes up. ipads are a completely different class of hardware and while I've never played DFC I just can't imagine porting the game to ipads and expecting more than ten frames a minute.

I don't know about that.  While it certainly won't play the game on the highest settings, it would certainly play the game.  The current generation iPads should be more than capable.processor-wise.  The only issue would be memory, and that's why a port won't be as easy as flipping a switch.  But then again, it never is.

#29 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:40

It's important to note that the Unity engine is a massive resource hog, I'd argue unreasonably so, and therefore it's unclear how a port would turn out, regardless to what platform it's ported. The issue of the Unity engine being such a resource hog has me worried about how the PS4 version, which will also run on Unity, will turn out, and I really couldn't speculate as to how a port would turn out.

#30 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:02

Unity is great, it's just that it's geared towards compatibility, not performance, and was probably unfit for such a massive venture as the Dreamfall Chapters hubs. Unity 5 was – on my PC at least – a definite improvement; I still have to limit the framerate artificially to hear the game over the graphics card fan. :P

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#31 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:34

I think you're seriously overestimating the capabilities of an ipad. There is only so much you can do with the power budget of a passively cooled device.

#32 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:24

Go look at the benchmarks for the latest generation.  They're on par with a 2013 i5.  That's more than enough computing power to run DFC, who's system requirements aren't really that high.  People have gotten this thing to run on old 32-bit systems that are 10 years old!  My phone is more powerful than those things!!

Plus, a port isn't just a straight copy of the codes and assets.  Running an iOS version on an iPad is not the same thing as running the PC version on a iPad.  Things are scaled down and adjusted so it is able to run on the mobile device.  That's why ports take time. 

And if you can't take my word for it, then can you trust Ragnar's?  He's said they're going to do one, and that was a while ago, before the current generation iPads.  He seems to think it would work.  As a game developer with lots of experience, don't you think he would know?

#33 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:12

No I don't know what ragnar knows about hardware. He might know stuff, but maybe not. I personally don't know a lot about apple's CPUs so I tried looking up some benchmarks. I've not found anything good though. What we need are some proper frame time game benchmarks to make any sort of real comparison.

#34 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:02

Try this: https://gfxbench.com...D Graphics 4000

Comparing the chip in the latest iPad with the minimum required graphics chip.  In most cases, the iPad outperforms it, in some cases vastly outperforms it.  So yes, the newest iPad should be more than capable of playing the full PC version of the game. 

But as I said, the version that will be on iOS won't be the PC version.  It can't be.  At the very least things have to be scaled down for space considerations.  That's actually one of the advantages of using the Unity game engine: it can help scale things down for you for compatibility purposes.  And with smaller assets, the hardware requirements do down.

Mobile hardware has come a long way in the last few years.  The new ones are now offering desktop class processing power.  They'll never compete with a real gaming rig with a dedicated GPU, but they're catching up to a lot of mainstream systems.  And every generation is getting better and better.

#35 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:59

If the actual min requirement is an intel IGPU then those are some extremely low requirements. I'd be impressed if the game ran acceptably with one from what I've seen of the screenshots. I am ready to be impressed and I am going to test it out to see when I get access to a laptop with one this(next?) month.

As to the type of benchmarking, this is what I mean

http://www.pcper.com...ics-Card-Review

The one that you linked isn't very helpful for me.

Anyways I could accept that the GPU in an ipad could rival some intel IGPUs but the CPU performance isn't going to be anywhere near as good....there is no way. If apple could rival intel's 65W CPUs with a 5W or around there one it would be news I would have heard already. It would be huge news. Massive news. I have not heard any news or seen any good evidence.

#36 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 20:45

And as for the CPU: The game only needs a Core 2 Duo, a CPU that came out in 2006!  I wasn't kidding when I said people were running this game on systems that were 10 year old.  And the iPad has plenty of power: http://wccftech.com/...pro-benchmarks/

Stop making assumptions based on zero data.  At this point I'm done with this discussion.  From your comments, it seems as if you haven't even played the game, only looked at screenshots.  You don't even know what the minimum requirements are for the game.  I'd be interested on having a discussion about the merits of tablets and how they might perform, but not with somebody who makes broad generalizations with no data, and then dismisses data when it is supplied.

#37 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 21:47

k

#38 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:13

And as for the CPU: The game only needs a Core 2 Duo, a CPU that came out in 2006!  I wasn't kidding when I said people were running this game on systems that were 10 year old.  And the iPad has plenty of power: http://wccftech.com/...pro-benchmarks/

Stop making assumptions based on zero data.  At this point I'm done with this discussion.  From your comments, it seems as if you haven't even played the game, only looked at screenshots.  You don't even know what the minimum requirements are for the game.  I'd be interested on having a discussion about the merits of tablets and how they might perform, but not with somebody who makes broad generalizations with no data, and then dismisses data when it is supplied.

HAHAHAHAHAHA this thread has reached youtube-comments status X°D

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#39 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:10

iPad Pro pitted against Intel's sub 5W Models:
http://www.anandtech...ad-pro-review/4
In average it is still slower, especially over -50% in Vector heavy loads which games use a lot.
And those CoreMs are not(!) faster than the good old C2D E6600.

So yes, Apples 5W Models can reach Intel's 5W models, but both have no chance in most PC-Games.

#40 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 13:11

As much as anything Apple can suck my proverbial... well, all right, let's start that sentence again.

The fact of the matter is that today, the desktop PC is increasingly becoming an unpopular model. Games are rather made for portable devices, then ported to PC. And the technology of these portable devices, it's marvellous. The processing power for the size, incredible. The energy efficiency, unthinkable even five years ago. I hate hate hate to say it, but this is the actual future, porting DFC makes sense, and it's a game that could well unfold its fascination on a sofa or in bed as well as on a PC monitor.

Sure RTG will have to find new solutions to old problems. Sure they have to work within some brutal limitations of processing power. But yesterday as well as today, if you let your creativity be limited by processing power, you're not a good game designer. It's the Amiga port problem from back in my days, with the difference that now the Amiga is portable... and muuuuch more popular.

TL; DR, there is literally no connection between high system requirements and good games and Dreamfall Chapters could be a great game on iPad. 

I will still never have an iAnything, ever. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users