6 replies to this topic

#1 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:09

Dreamfall Chapters has always been very slow for me ever since Book One came out, even on the lowest settings. I thought it was the way it's supposed to be, but people's playthroughs on YouTube are very smooth. The worst of all is in the Oular city, where there are barely two frames per second. That area always takes forever just to get through. So months ago, I looked at what graphics card I had and found out that it was an Intel HD Graphics 4000 Card, and that my computer was probably never meant to be a gaming computer. So today I actually got an Alienware 7 laptop. Immediately I downloaded Steam to play Chapters and see if this issue was resolved. However, it wasn't! Now this is very bizarre to me. I am wondering why this is the case.

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:37

Hmm... ...That is weird. And if you just downloaded it again, then you should have the most recent version...

Could you post your computer's full specs? That might help us tailor our suggestions. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:00

Is your computer using two graphics cards, maybe? If it's nVidia, look for an "optimus" sticker. AMD might have something similar but I don't know what it's called or how it works.

Anyway, in the case of optimus, you might have to tell the game which graphics card to use. The computer decides on its own and it might get things wrong sometimes. That's normally done by right-clicking, and you should be able to set a default in the settings.

#4 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:30

I was "streaming" it from my old computer, which I didn't know was a thing. At one point when I quit, it even showed my other computer's desktop! Freaky. So I tried actually installing the game from Steam and it works at the proper speed. That might have been the problem. Of course, now there are no saves, but I don't mind that.

• agirlnamedbob and Indrid Cold like this

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#5 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:43

Yeah, Steam does in home streaming, but I thought it was something you had to set up. Weird. 

Still, hope that was the culprit and all is good to go now. 

By the by, as far as saves are concerned, as long as you have Steam's Cloud Sync enabled, your saves should be transferred to your new computer. It usually doesn't trigger the download until after you've launched and closed the game at least once, though. But if you don't mind not having them, then it's not a huge deal. Just figured I'd let you know. :) 

• MisterMetropolis likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#6 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:38

I was "streaming" it from my old computer, which I didn't know was a thing. At one point when I quit, it even showed my other computer's desktop! Freaky. So I tried actually installing the game from Steam and it works at the proper speed. That might have been the problem.

Oh, yeah, that was the problem then. When you stream the game the computer you stream it from renders the game, encodes it as a video stream, and sends it to the computer you're playing on. Your control inputs are sent over the network the other way. So it was still playing on your old computer, and in addition to rendering the game that computer had to encode a video stream of it.

So you shouldn't have that issue now.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#7 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:50

Oh, yeah, that was the problem then. When you stream the game the computer you stream it from renders the game, encodes it as a video stream, and sends it to the computer you're playing on. Your control inputs are sent over the network the other way. So it was still playing on your old computer, and in addition to rendering the game that computer had to encode a video stream of it.

So you shouldn't have that issue now.

Wait. I understood that this was an option that you could choose, but not that it's a random bug that can happen even if you don't know what's happening, let alone have told it to happen. What gives?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users