Photo

Tips & Tricks for Running TLJ on new Computers (From Old Forum, Edited & Improved)

TLJ The Longest Journey Settings Tricks From old forum Technical Help old forum AMD Radeon Graphic Tips save folder cloud cloud service save syncing sync syncing save save sync tweak tweaks tweaking SaveDir

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationPetah Tikva, Israel

Posted 17 July 2014 - 20:08

Here are 2 tips about the original The Longest Journey:

TIP #1: How to change save folder

On your keyboard press START button+R, in the run box type %appdata% and press ENTER or click OK, a new window opens.

In it search for a folder named "The Longest Journey", in it find preferences.ini. right click it and choose open with, open it in notepad.

in the [Preferences] sections add the line "SaveDir=02" without the quotation marks, this changes the save folder from %appdata%\The Longest Journey\Save\01 to %appdata%\The Longest Journey\Save\02

You can use any number of course, just remember to create the numbered folder under the Save folder first.

TIP #1.2: Using Absolute paths & cloud services for save folders

You can also use absolute paths and have the saves kept in a completely different folder, useful for dropbox usage to allow using the same saves on different PCs, thanks goes to Sebastian Hosche (Rainforest) for finding out about the absolute paths.

For example, you can transfer the save folder to any folder on any drive, for example Drive D of your hard drive can have a folder named TLJ\Saves which will contain the your saves, you will then set the following in the preferences.ini file:

"SaveDir=D:\TLJ\Saves"

Without the quote marks.

To use cloud services to sync your saves over multiple computers:

For example, under Windows 8 or 8.1 you have Microsoft OneDrive pre-installed, you can use it to sync your progress across multiple computers running the OneDrive app or Desktop app, all you need to do is make sure the OneDrive folder is not at the default location on Drive C since that will require TLJ to be run as administrator to read & right to the save folder, for example, if you have a second partition on your hard drive with the letter D move OneDrive folder there, then edit the preferences.ini file to have "SaveDir=D:\OneDrive\TLJ\0" if you place the saves in TLJ\0 folder under the OneDrive folder on Partition D, without the quote marks of course and the actual folder structure can be anything else you like.

It can be done in the same way using Dropbox, Box & any other cloud service with desktop sync software, all you need to do is edit the preferences.ini file for TLJ on all computers running the game and the cloud syncing software to match the correct place of the folder on the specific computer & make sure the cloud service software is installed and set correctly.

Note: Please make sure to enable the option to make files available also when the computer is not connected to the internet in whichever cloud software you are using.

TESTED AND CONFIRMED TO WORK BY MYSELF USING MICROSOFT ONEDRIVE APP

TIP #2: Make TLJ look better on AMD Radeon HD Graphic cards:

First thing, make sure you are running the latest driver for your graphic card.

Now, start the AMD Vision Control Center.

Go to "My Digital Flat Panel" & click "Properties (Digital Flat Panel)", make sure "Enable GPU Scaling" is ticked.

Now click "Gaming" & "3D Application Settings"

Click "Add" browse to the TLJ game folder (if you have steam version it's in steam\steamapps\common\The Longest Journey)

Choose "Game.exe" & click open.

Now, change the settings according to the attached picture & click save.

Now when you run the game it will look like the following video:

Please note: After additional tries I found out that you can easily change the settings according to the 2nd picture, it's slightly different AA settings.

Note: Similar settings mostly work with NVIDIA Cards as well.

Enjoy!

Settings screenshot:

appprofileamd.png

Improved Settings screenshot:

5u08.png

FURTHER IMPROVED SETTINGS FOR SMOOTHER GRAPHIC & FONTS TWEAKS 2 POSTS BELLOW, CLICK HERE

Edited by VollachR, 21 July 2014 - 12:46.

• Jecica, RezaTemiz, toremygg and 3 others like this

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveller
Proud Backer of DREAMFALL CHAPTERS

Twitter: @VollachR | Facebook: Ron Vollach | Google+: Ron Vollach 
| STEAM: Vollach | Instagram: @VollachR Flickr: Ron Vollach

Pinterest: Ron Vollach | Wikia: My Wiki (Freeware Batch Tools)

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself."

#2 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 17 July 2014 - 22:07

Nice!

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#3 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 17:27

Just want to add something new I found to (arguably) improve on the settings in the screenshots from the original post.

If you look at the original screenshots from the AMD control center you can see a line called "Morphological Filtering" that is set to OFF, Setting it to  "On (Direct3D Application Only)" will smooth the graphic much more but will probably cause some light blurring in the graphic and a slightly bigger blur in texts, while the light blur in the graphic is barely noticeable compared to how smoother it is the text could be a problem, this is bypassed by editing the file "gui.ini" in the game folder to use different fonts and font sizes, I am attaching my "gui.ini" file as I have edited it but you can experiment with different font & size configurations to suit your taste/need/monitor.

Attached File  gui.zip   433bytes   170 downloads

The attached file i zipped, just unpack to your game folder and overwrite the original (Please do make a backup of your file first so you can revert if you don't like it).

Of course not everyone going to like the resulting blur from the smoother graphic, that's why I said "arguably", enjoy!

The following screenshots shows the changes in settings compared to the old screenshots:

14498013269_621f4e3e2f_o.png

Bellow are a few screenshots so you can see how it looks in game with my edited gui.ini and that specific setting on ON, I'll try to capture a video too if I can:

14498201658_a571fa2d35_n.jpg 14684848225_337539ccb6_n.jpg 14498197259_1c5a633099_n.jpg 14498180420_69418a3a76_n.jpg 14498384257_3d9bd06a77_n.jpg

And here's a Video:

• DiskJunky and aeonfluxx75 like this

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveller

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself."

#4 Pylons of Light

Pylons of Light

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 17:57

See my old anti-aliasing topic for some useful info that allowed me to get anti-aliasing running on two very different computers.

• wandrew likes this

#5 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 18:45

Added a video showcasing TLJ with my latest changes, it's still being processed by YouTube though so it isn't yet available but was pre-added to my previous post and will be watchable there as it becomes available.

• DiskJunky likes this

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveller

#6 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:37

I have expanded TIP #1 in the original post to have a more complete explanation on using absolute paths for save folders as well as how to use absolute paths with cloud services to sync saves across computers.

• DiskJunky likes this

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveller

#7 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:49

Did some minor editing to the original post in this thread since I can now confirm that cloud syncing TLJ save folder actually work, at least using OneDrive app from Microsoft, also added link in the first post to send directly to the later added post with the gui.ini & smoother graphic tweaks.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveller

#8 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:58

Nice, thanks for all the hard work!

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#9 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 14:53

Is there any solution for running TLJ in hardware mode on NVidia cards? When I turn hardwar emode on all persons turn into flickering geometrical shapes. I've tried several driver versions for my NVidia GTX 650 Ti but had no luck. I had to play the game in software mode (so no chance for anti-aliasing) which made it look much more ugly then it needed to be. Maybe Redthreadgames will patch it?

• loranna238 likes this

#10 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 16:00

Is there any solution for running TLJ in hardware mode on NVidia cards? When I turn hardwar emode on all persons turn into flickering geometrical shapes. I've tried several driver versions for my NVidia GTX 650 Ti but had no luck. I had to play the game in software mode (so no chance for anti-aliasing) which made it look much more ugly then it needed to be. Maybe Redthreadgames will patch it?

RTG will not and cannot patch it, they don't have the rights for the game, it belongs to Funcom but there might be a solution, same thing happened on AMD cards and changing a specific setting stopped it, can't quite remember which one though and I'm not familiar with NVDIA settings to tell you if it even exist there, it was either the surface optimization option or the morphological filtering option though, I'm quite sure it was one of those (check pictures in first post), see if there's anything similar in the NVdia control panel.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveller

#11 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7107 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 September 2014 - 17:42

You might get it to work, but there is no point to it. The game runs fine in software emulation, and we haven't been able to force anti-aliasing on nVidia cards without everything breaking.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#12 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 00:50

RTG will not and cannot patch it, they don't have the rights for the game, it belongs to Funcom but there might be a solution, same thing happened on AMD cards and changing a specific setting stopped it, can't quite remember which one though and I'm not familiar with NVDIA settings to tell you if it even exist there, it was either the surface optimization option or the morphological filtering option though, I'm quite sure it was one of those (check pictures in first post), see if there's anything similar in the NVdia control panel.

Yes, I was afraid that the rights still belong to Funcom but wasn't sure. Unfortunately I have tried every single setting in the NVidia Control panel und none of it resembles something like the settings you mentioned for AMD cards.

@khh: The game runs in software mode and will not use AA in hardware mode without problems but it still looks a bit better in hardware mode.

Ao I think there really is no way. Thank you anyway.

#13 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:24

Reposting this very useful post from another thread - a post from Chikyuu with a method for remedying a problem where the screen goes black during the video cutscene sequences:

To get rid of that black screen thing I did this:

1. Right click on Desktop
2. Select Screen Resolution
3. Click Detect (with no additional monitor connected)
4. Next to your first display, you'll see a grey square with the text "Another display not detected" Click on the grey square
5. Next to "Multiple displays" it will say "No display detected"
6. Click on "No display detected"
7. A drop-down menu will appear
8. Select "Try to connect anyway on: VGA"
9. Click on your primary display (the square with the big "1" in it)
10. Next to "Multiple displays" select "Extend these displays"

(http://forums.longes...read.php?t=9255)

#14 br305893

br305893

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationFairfield, CT, USA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:44

My version from Steam worked just fine on my Windows 7 PC, without any modifications.

#15 The Rainbow Kin

The Rainbow Kin

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOslo

Posted 04 December 2015 - 17:15

OK, I i just bought the FunCom-version (I really need the Norwegian voice acting :P), and it seems like the game does not read the gui.ini - file at all, the fonts doesn't change, and the tooltip text is microscopic and totally unreadable. Does anyone have any idea as to what can be done? RUnning on W10 x64 and latest AMD radeon drivers. THe game scales and looks sorta OK with AA on (although the cursor flickers in some parts due to one of the settings), but the fonts, as stated, are unreadable.

#16 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7107 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 December 2015 - 21:55

There may be more than one directory with setting files in, and it's not always easy to tell which one the game reads. Enter %AppData% (with the percentage signs) into the address bar in Explorer, and look for a The Longest Journey, Funcom or Den Lengste Reisen folder there, and look in the game's install directory. It may also be in the compatibility files section, which located at %LocalAppData%\VirtualStore\.

Delete setting files in all places but one, if there are multiple.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#17 The Rainbow Kin

The Rainbow Kin

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOslo

Posted 07 December 2015 - 17:36

@khh - I found out that my version needed to edit the settings for font under the "TEXT95" - heading, not "Western" in gui.ini - then I got the changes to take. :) Still a bit hard to understand

• khh likes this

#18 The Rainbow Kin

The Rainbow Kin

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOslo

Posted 13 December 2015 - 21:22

@khh - I found out that my version needed to edit the settings for font under the "TEXT95" - heading, not "Western" in gui.ini - then I got the changes to take. :) Still a bit hard to understand

Additionally, TLJ localized data-folders according to game language, so I had to look under "\AppData\Roaming\Den lengste reisen" for the norwegian version, and not "\The Longest Journey" .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TLJ, The Longest Journey, Settings, Tricks, From old forum, Technical, Help, old forum, AMD, Radeon, Graphic, Tips, save folder, cloud, cloud service, save syncing, sync, syncing, save, save sync, tweak, tweaks, tweaking, SaveDir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users