Photo

A guide on choices, consequences and optional things in Dreamfall: The Longest Journey [SPOILERS]

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:07

Hello guys, 

This guide is a list with all the Optional Things, Choices, Secrets and Consequences found in Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. I made this guide after reading a comment saying that Dreamfall didn’t have much choices and secrets. In my opinion the only problem with the choices in Dreamfall is that they were not communicated to the players well enough, and thus most people never found out about them which I want to change with this guide. If I missed anything or if you have any suggestions please tell me and I will add to/change the guide accordingly. Feel free to discuss the choices and the reason why you made certain choices below.

Brian_Dreamfall_cell.png

Prologue: Tainted

[Optional] You can eavesdrop on the monks whispering in the shadow. 

Chapter 1: One

[Optional] You can talk with Wonkers about the News and your Schedule amongst other things. 
[Optional] You can trigger additional conversations with Gabriel if you: Try to leave the house in your underwear, if you try to leave the house without your mobile, or if you stay in the house for too long.
[Choice] You can talk to either Jawhar or Calita on Jardin de Roses. When you have finished the conversation with the person you chose the other one will have walked off the screen.
[Optional] After going outside (and before going to the gym) you can head back to the Castillo’s house where Gabriel is in the shower.
[Choice] When greeted by Olivia you can either: Talk to Olivia, or run past her. If you talk to her you get a choice to either tell her you are busy, or tell her you are not busy. If you tell her you are not busy you can go either go inside, or walk away.
•    [Consequence] If you tell her you are busy she will call you when you leave the gym and invite you over.  Jama says that you are on time when you arrive at the gym.
•    [Consequence] If you choose to ignore Olivia she will call you when you leave the gym and ask why you rushed past her before inviting her. Jama will say that you are on time, when you arrive at the gym.
•     [Consequence] If you tell Olivia you are not busy and you go inside you have another vision and a small conversation with Olivia. When you arrive at the gym Jama will say that you are ate. When you leave the gym Reza will call you.
•    [Consequence] If you tell Olivia you are not busy, but you go to the gym without coming inside anyway Jama will say that you are on time, and you will get a different phone call upon leaving the gym. 
[Optional] You can eavesdrop on two people talking about the static at the Souk.
[Optional] You can talk to Karen, the barista four times. 
[Optional] After sparring with Jama you can talk with her about: her past, the gym and Zoe’s training amongst other things. 
•    [Consequence] Nia's comments change depending on how well you preformed while sparring.
[Optional] After talking with Reza you can talk to Karen again. This time you can talk about Reza, and his relationship with Zoe. 
[Choice] You can either trap Sena, or fight her. 
•    [Consequence] If you trick and trap Sena the conversation between her and Zoe will be slightly longer.
•    [Consequence] If you fight and defeat Sena, Zoe will mention this during the conversation with  Helena Chang. 
[Choice] You can either open the package, or leave it closed.
[Optional] You can hide behind the bathroom door when the EYE invades Reza’s place, and overhear the soldiers talking about Reza and Rio.

dreamfall%202007-06-18%2012-34-20-14.jpg

Chapter 2: Lost

[Consequence] If you opened the package in the previous chapter the dialog is slightly different during the interrogation if you choose to lie. 
[Optional] You can talk to Wonkers again about: The message, your schedule and playing a game.
[Optional] You can talk to Karen again.
[Optional] You can visit Reza’s apartment before going to Olivia. This will slightly change the conversation. 
[Choice] You can either trick the spider into entering the shower, or get a hack from Olivia. If you visit Olivia again instead of tricking the spider one out of two conversations happens depending on whether or not you saw the logo on the spider.
•    [Consequence] If you trick the spider yourself you don’t have to talk to Olivia. 
•    [Consequence] If you did not see the logo on the spider Olivia will give you hints on how to trick and avoid it. You can then either trick the spider, or take a look at the logo and talk to Olivia again afterwards.
•    [Consequence] If you did see the logo on the spider Olivia will give you a hack to disable it. 
[Optional] There is a short optional conversation with Olivia in which Zoe greets Olivia.
[Optional] After repairing Lucia you can have a small conversation with her.
[Choice] You can either give Wonkers his brain back, or just go to Venice.
•    [Consequence] Giving Wonkers his brain back unlocks a small conversation. 

dreamfall%202007-06-19%2017-46-06-70.jpg

Chapter 3: 201

[Optional] After getting out of the cab in Venice you can call Olivia. 
[Optional] You can talk with the Chinaman, and ask him for directions before going to the Fringe.
[Optional] You can eavesdrop on a conversation between a man and a girl named Sara. 
[Optional] You can chat with the Hostess in the Fringe.
[Optional] After talking with Charlie and leaving the fringe you can call Olivia again.
[Optional] You can ask the Chinaman for directions to the Victory Hotel after talking with Charlie in the Fringe.
[Choice] You can either fight Vinnie, talk to him, or sneak past him.
•    [Consequence] If you sneak past Vinnie he will remain downstairs. 
•    [Consequence] If you talk to Vinnie and trick him into letting you walk around freely he will come to check up on you after a while. If he spots you he will attack you right away. 
•    [Consequence] If you fight Vinnie he will get up and come looking for you again once you get to the next floor. If you don’t fight Ivar Vinnie will also talk to Ivar behind a locked door after getting up again. 
[Optional] After leaving the Victory Hotel you can call Olivia again.
[Optional] You can eavesdrop on three people standing in the Fringe. They talk about the static and the collapse amongst other things.
[Optional] You can eavesdrop on two people standing next to the bar in the Fringe. 
[Optional] Before heading upstairs you can talk to the Hostess again.

dreamfall%202007-06-21%2013-05-01-94.jpg

Chapter 4: Winter

[Choice] You can either fight the Grubbers or sneak past them. You can also throw pebbles in the water to distract them. 
[Optional] After talking to Benrime you can ask her for directions on Blind Bob again. 
[Optional] You can talk with the Azadi soldier guarding the gate. 
[Optional] You can talk with Ary Kinryn three times. You can also do this after visiting the spice merchant. The dialog remains pretty much the same, but he will remember you if you talked to him before.
 [Optional] You can talk with the Azadi soldier guardian the entrance to the Ghetto. 
[Choice] You can either go back to the Spice merchant or go directly to Benrime.
•    [Consequence] If you give the Spice merchant his spices, he will give you Benrime’s order and he will also keep shouting about the spices for the rest of the game.
•    [Consequence] If you go to Benrime right away the Spice merchant will ask you about the spices, and talk about his children. He will also keep shouting that he doesn’t have spices for the during the rest of the game. 
[Optional] You can talk with Magda before meeting with Crazy Clara.
[Consequence] The comments of Garmon and the three other men change depending on how well you preformed in the fights. 
[Optional] You can talk to the two guards who are guarding the room where the six are in. 

dreamfall%202007-06-24%2015-58-27-87.jpg

Chapter 5: Alchera

[Optional] You can talk with Na’ane. 
[Optional] You can talk with Benrime before heading out.
[Optional] You can approach the guards guarding the entrance to the Ghetto, past the Journeyman and they will tell you that the Ghetto is closed. You can also eavesdrop on them.
[Choice] You can either sneak up on the guard next to the scaffolding, or fight him. You can also approach him, but if you do this too many times he will attack you. If you wonder off too far while fighting him two other guards will join the fight. 
[Optional] You can talk to a little girl named Riko. 
[Choice] You can try to reunite Kenji and Yuriko, simply talk to Kenji and talk to Yuriko.
[Consequence] If you choose the right dialog options you can reunite Kenji and Yuriko. You can then use one of their tickets and give the other one to Riko.
[Consequence] If you fail to reunite them you can get Kenji’s ticket from the trashcan and use that to get to the museum.
[Consequence] If you fail to reunite them you can also get Yuriko’s ticket which you can then give to Riko so that she can get into the museum as well. 
[Consequence] If you helped Riko get into the museum she will Hiro to trigger the alarm. If you didn’t help Riko you can offer Hiro some gum, after which he will help you. 
[Choice] You can either take the overall, or leave it.
[Choice] If you took the overall you can either sneak up on the woman and knock her out, trick her into calling the elevator for you, or knock her out when she runs for the button. 
[Consequence] If you knock her out you will have to press the button yourself and then you will have to hack the elevator. 
[Consequence] If she called the elevator for you there will be a nice little sequence. 
[Choice] If you didn’t take the overall you can either sneak up on the woman and knock her out, trick her into calling the elevator for you, or knock her out when she runs for the button. 
[Consequence] The dialog is always different if you didn’t take the overall.
[Consequence] If you knock her out you will have to hack the elevator, but you will still have to put the overall on before you can press the button to open the elevator If you don’t Zoe will respond that she probably needs an ID to enter.
[Consequence] If you tell her that you work here and if you blame the fact that your chip is not working on the static she calls the elevator for you and ther is a nice little sequence. This is the only way to get into the building wearing your normal clothes. 
[Consequence] If you knocked out the woman a guard will interrupt your conversation with Damien.

Chapter 6: Morpheus

[Optional] You can eavesdrop on Benrime and Brian twice. 
[Optional] Before boarding the Shadowship you can talk with Benrime again about: the Rebels, news and the support that Benrime has given to the rebel movement. 
[Optional] You can talk with the Captain in Shady Quay about the supplies.

500px-Darkcity_shift.png

Chapter 7: Destiny

[Optional] You can talk with Crow before talking to the Guardian.

Chapter 8: Converge

[Optional] There are several optional conversations with Crow while playing as Zoe in which Crow will give her advice on what to do. 
[Choice] You can either deliver the sandwich, or poison the sandwich with a sleeping potion before delivering it. 
•    [Consequence] If you don’t poison the sandwich the guard will simply fall asleep.
•    [Consequence] If you do poison the sandwich you will get an additional conversation with Roper Klacks. The guard’s dialog also changes slightly.
[Optional] You can talk with the Captain again.
[Optional] After getting the sandwich you can also talk with Crow again.
[Optional] If you decide to walk around a bit first after talking with Crow in the Ghetto, you can talk with him twice again to get a few differend lines.
[Secret] If you head back to the Journeyman after the fight with April you will see a guard in front of the inn and the scene with Kian that normally happens after boarding the airship triggers. You can also approach the guard three times.

Chapter 9: All that we see or seem

[Optional] You can talk with Crow while on the airship, and get a lot more information about both Crow, April and their relationship. 
[Optional] You can talk with Crow while you are following the Dark Person to the library.
[Optional] You can talk with Brian while you are following the Dark Person to the library.

dreamfall%202007-07-01%2016-20-44-59.jpg

Chapter 10: Crossroads

[Optional] You can eavesdrop on Kara and Jiran. 
[Secret] While playing as Kian you can see Zoe walking towards the platform. 

Chapter 11: Faith

[Secret] After Dr. Park finished talking you can go back to Faith’s room again and Zoe will have new things to say about all the things you can look at/interact with. 

Chapter 12: Reversal

[Optional] You can talk to Karen twice.
[Consequence] If you fixed Wonkers during chapter 2 an additional conversation happens. 

Chapter 13: The Longest Journey

[Consequence] If you fixed Wonkers during chapter 2 an additional conversation happens.

dreamf1.jpg

Epilogue: Dreamfall

[Secret] There is an additional scene waiting for you if you don’t skip the credits.

• Martin, Tina, VollachR and 24 others like this

#2 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3549 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:11

This guide is a list with all the Optional Things, Choices, Secrets and Consequences found in Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey.

There's a "Chapters" too many there, right? ;) 

• wandrew likes this

#3 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:12

Also if there is any incorrect or missing information there (I haven't checked it since I first wrote it), please leave a comment and I'll fix it asap.

There's a "Chapters" too many there, right? ;)

Yeah there is! I just copied this from my post on the old forums, hadn't noticed that. Thanks!  ;)

• toremygg likes this

#4 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2416 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:57

Wow. Congratulations, this is an awesome list. I knew about some of these, but others are completely new to me.

I have replayed through Dreamfall about a month ago. I suppose I need to go back again now. :)

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#5 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationPetah Tikva, Israel

Posted 16 July 2014 - 16:38

That's a really good guide, gonna most likely use it the next time I replay the game, I noticed a few things I didn't know about while skimming through it.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveller
Proud Backer of DREAMFALL CHAPTERS

Twitter: @VollachR | Facebook: Ron Vollach | Google+: Ron Vollach 
| STEAM: Vollach | Instagram: @VollachR Flickr: Ron Vollach

Pinterest: Ron Vollach | Wikia: My Wiki (Freeware Batch Tools)

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself."

#6 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 July 2014 - 21:34

Great guide :)

#7 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 23:16

Nice!

Another optional is:you can talk to several NPCs walking around Marcuria (and there're some pretty funny lines,if i remember correctly).

#8 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 17 July 2014 - 23:24

Like Blind Bob. I love (Theoretically) Blind Bob :)

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#9 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 22:39

Imagine trying to make one of these for Dreamfall Chapters...It will be endless and take forever! Haha. Maybe we should all pitch in to that one...but this is a very great job you have done!

But omg, I had no idea about some of these things...you can poison the sandwich? And lock the silver haired lady in the closet? I will have to try all these ways soon!...

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#10 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:17

Imagine trying to make one of these for Dreamfall Chapters...It will be endless and take forever! Haha. Maybe we should all pitch in to that one...

That is a pretty good idea actually. We should probably make a thread with choices and outcomes when the game launches.  ;)

• Tina, toremygg and MisterMetropolis like this

#11 TheSlayer

TheSlayer

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:46

Wow, this is awesome! I can't believe some of the things I missed out on. Will have to replay again. Thanks!

• WorldsReunited likes this

Here to slay vampires & the Undreaming.

One little push and she's in the river, no one will know it was...wait, what am I thinking? You don't want to end up on Most Wanted. Well... No.

#12 Martin

Martin

RTG Designer

• RTG Staff
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 16:11

Holy smokes! Awesome job! :D

:cannon:  Cannon stroker   :cannon:
        :crow:  OrNOThologist   :crow:

#13 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 10 November 2014 - 16:16

If anyone wonders why we're signposting the choices you make in Dreamfall Chapters…this is why. Very, very few people ever knew that there were alternative solutions and optional paths through the first game.

Of course, Dreamfall Chapters takes this to a whole new level — we dipped our toes with Dreamfall, but it wasn't an integral part of the game. It very much is integral to the story and gameplay in Chapters.

Also: thanks for doing such an incredible job with this!

• WorldsReunited, yodagreen3, Tiago and 4 others like this

#14 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 16:57

Thanks guys. I am going to put up a similar guide for Dreamfall Chapters, that should hopefully be out soon. I will really need your help though, especially when book two comes, with all the different things that are going on.  ;)

• khh likes this

#15 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7098 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:12

You know, there are a few of those consequences I didn't know about either. How long did you take to find it all?

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#16 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:42

You know, there are a few of those consequences I didn't know about either. How long did you take to find it all?

I don't know, but somewhere in a pile of playthroughs, walkthroughs and transcripts I think I found most of them.  :P 

If something is missing though, please do tell. 

The one that surprised me most was getting inside WATI HQ without the uniform. It creates a few plotholes (several of these choices do), but I really liked exploring the different options on that one.  :)

• khh likes this

#17 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3076 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 14:46

The one that surprised me most was getting inside WATI HQ without the uniform. It creates a few plotholes (several of these choices do), but I really liked exploring the different options on that one.  :)

That's how I usually do it, what plot holes does it create?

#18 Jelena

Jelena

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationKosovska Mitrovica, Kosovo/Serbia

Posted 24 June 2016 - 22:17

Wait...WHAT? Holy crap! I am completely mind-blown! I knew about some of these, but the others are just WOW! Thank you! OMG!

• WorldsReunited likes this

#19 charmed23

charmed23

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh city, Vietnam

Posted 25 June 2016 - 16:21

the best game in the series. sob.

Thank you so much for this guide!

• WorldsReunited and Jelena like this