#1 jmpep

jmpep

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:13

Hi all!

I was looking at the Dreamfall Chapters: Reborn trailer and I have a little concern: Isn't there way too much bloom in the game? People literally glow...

I find it a real pity, because otherwise the graphics are pretty cool... Is it just me? Do others find this a little immersion breaking?

Regardless, the trailer was awesome!

Examples:

dreamfall_bloom_1.png

dreamfall_bloom_2.png

dreamfall_bloom_3.png

PS: In case you are doing this to fake skin's subsurface scattering there is a pretty good shader for Unity... (demo).

• BummsGeordy likes this

#2 BummsGeordy

BummsGeordy

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:32

no, it's not just you. I thought exactly the same thing... bloom is nice, but glowing people is a bit too much... At first I thought, that this would only be me and that this is something, that bothers just me, but I am glad, that I am not the only one ;)

the trailer looked great and I liked it very much - but the glowing  people are distracting :/

please reduce it :)

#3 blaster

blaster

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationStark

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:44

They've had even more bloom in the alpha footage. 

I hope that they will reduce it greatly.

Also, what's up with the windows, why are they blurred?

From the left corner it might look like rain a bit. But hard to tell. Maybe it's some sort of special glass from future which reduces the light or just screwed up special effects )

And yeah, they guy here is bloomed as well.

Attached File  1171x659.png   1.07MB   0 downloads

blasted be the balance

#4 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:56

If there's one aspect of this project I have no worries about it's the art and art direction. These examples are works in progress, plus we have no idea of the context of these sections of the game. The bloom could be for contrast with another section, another place, another character, to convey a particular theme. Anything. There is a reason why the things look the way they do and I'm not going to tell a professional artist how to do their job! Just like I'm going to listen and nod respectfully, but ultimately not pay much attention to people who tell me how to do mine.

Blooming heck! ;)

• Dmm likes this

#5 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:37

I'd have to agree with this. Tone down the bloom. :) I do believe that's rain on the windows, though.

#6 jmpep

jmpep

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:51

I'm not going to tell a professional artist how to do their job! Just like I'm going to listen and nod respectfully, but ultimately not pay much attention to people who tell me how to do mine.

Blooming heck! ;)

It is not my intention to tell anyone how to do his/her job either, but I don't think voicing a personal opinion or making suggestions harms anyone. On the contrary. If they feel strongly about their bloom settings, so be it. If they don't care much about it and they prefer accommodating what most people prefer, then they need to know what people think (whatever that is).

I do apologize if my way of expressing it can be deemed offensive, though. It sure wasn't my intention.

On a side note, when people tell me how to my job (or, more precisely, when they make suggestions about it) I do pay attention. And more often than not I learn something. Even people who generally know less than I do about my job sometimes know specific things that I don't.

• trentjaspar and BummsGeordy like this

#7 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 03 July 2014 - 13:35

Adding all that bloom is a tried and tested console trick, to hide a lot of stuff, and make up for expensive dynamic lighting. It might be toned down on the highest PC setting, we'll have to wait and see.

Also, what's up with the windows, why are they blurred?
From the left corner it might look like rain a bit. But hard to tell. Maybe it's some sort of special glass from future which reduces the light or just screwed up special effects )

The bit that concerns me is the lack of AA, which is why the bobble/frosted glass looks so odd.

#8 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 13:40

I haven't watched the trailers and just glance quickly at unavoidable screenshots, but I'm with you on the "too much bloom" thing.  It's becoming distressingly common in gaming.  I mean, it's fine for a cutscene of a dream sequence or whatnot, but normally, life doesn't glow.  But it does have its place, as Happy Tree says perhaps for some form of contrast.  Maybe they were going for a particular effect in those particular shots, but it's not like the whole game will be like that.

But it does seem to be in vogue these days...

And jmpep, there was nothing offensive about your post, IMO.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

#9 BummsGeordy

BummsGeordy

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 July 2014 - 17:22

any chance for a comment on that from your guys at RTG? :)

#10 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 17:28

Ragnar is currently on vacation according to his Twitter. July is a big month for vacations. I'm not saying an official response is out of the question, but I'm betting it might be a little bit before we get one. 

On topic: I honestly didn't notice the bloom until I saw this thread. I thought maybe it must have looked better on my computer or something after looking at the screen caps. ...But I just rewatched the trailer and it definitely looks the same. Not sure why I didn't really notice before. 

Though we know that the first chapter is still only in Beta, so I'm guessing there are quite a few things that still need to get polished up. 

• BummsGeordy and blaster like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#11 BummsGeordy

BummsGeordy

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:19

Ragnar is currently on vacation according to his Twitter. July is a big month for vacations. I'm not saying an official response is out of the question, but I'm betting it might be a little bit before we get one. 

On topic: I honestly didn't notice the bloom until I saw this thread. I thought maybe it must have looked better on my computer or something after looking at the screen caps. ...But I just rewatched the trailer and it definitely looks the same. Not sure why I didn't really notice before. 

Though we know that the first chapter is still only in Beta, so I'm guessing there are quite a few things that still need to get polished up. 

thank you for that information! :) I hope they all relax and get inspired in their vacation... this bloom-thing doesn't run away I think ;) and besides - I'm shure that one can disable this "feature" in the options...

#12 Pylons of Light

Pylons of Light

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 22:53

Yeah, too much bloom.

#13 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 721 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:12

Is Brian Bloom coming back?

#14 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 July 2014 - 13:04

Adding all that bloom is a tried and tested console trick, to hide a lot of stuff, and make up for expensive dynamic lighting. It might be toned down on the highest PC setting, we'll have to wait and see.

The bit that concerns me is the lack of AA, which is why the bobble/frosted glass looks so odd.

I'm sure Unity supports AA natively, it's ooold technology. They've probably just not finished optimizing and if they're recording on a Macbook Air it might be choppy with AA enabled.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#15 Martin

Martin

RTG Designer

• RTG Staff
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 13:30

AA is on. It's actually rain running down the window, and that's probably looks weird in the image. And before you ask why there is sunlight:

Spoiler

(Did I spoil something now? Oh well... Ragnar is away for a month, so I'll let Future-Martin worry about that scolding :P)

Yes, it is quite bloomy, but (imo) it works really well ingame. Europolis is full of neon lights, and the lighting fits really well to the setting - it sorta makes sense. In Friar's Keep, the only light sources are torches hanging from the wall, which gives the warm/reddish color and, in my humble opinion, it works really well there as well. Other locations are more toned down, all depending on its light source(s). 

• wandrew, Edreamer Jamil, TalkingOak and 8 others like this
:cannon:  Cannon stroker   :cannon:
        :crow:  OrNOThologist   :crow:

#16 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2322 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 04 July 2014 - 13:50

Yes, it is quite bloomy, but (imo) it works really well ingame. Europolis is full of neon lights, and the lighting fits really well to the setting - it sorta makes sense. In Friar's Keep, the only light sources are torches hanging from the wall, which gives the warm/reddish color and, in my humble opinion, it works really well there as well. Other locations are more toned down, all depending on its light source(s). 

Sounds like you guys has thought it through (of course ;) ) :)

Poor future Martin by the way :P

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#17 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 04 July 2014 - 15:18

We should send future Martin some socks to bribe Ragnar with.
  • Teller, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 2 others like this

#18 Martin

Martin

RTG Designer

• RTG Staff
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 15:23

We should send future Martin some socks to bribe Ragnar with.

Hahahah, well done good Sir! :D

• wandrew and agirlnamedbob like this

#19 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 04 July 2014 - 15:33

Thanks for the reply :)

AA is on.

It is ??? Look at the table for example in the screenshot, the edges are really jagged. Its the same for the sofa, and the windows (its just less noticeable). All I can say is, to my eyes, it looks like there is no AA or a very Low amount.

edit: and that's very interesting fact about Europolis :)

#20 Martin

Martin

RTG Designer

• RTG Staff
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 15:57

Thanks for the reply :)

It is ??? Look at the table for example in the screenshot, the edges are really jagged. Its the same for the sofa, and the windows (its just less noticeable). All I can say is, to my eyes, it looks like there is no AA or a very Low amount.

I have to agree with you. I remember we had a bug a while ago, where AA got turned off in "Max" settings, but on in "High" settings. I'll check it out :)

• wandrew and Edreamer Jamil like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bloom, graphics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users