85 replies to this topic

#61 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 13 July 2014 - 16:17

Double post, sorry!

For anyone who missed it, Ragnar has answered a few questions in both the Book One Trailer thread and the Recommended Internet Connection thread.

I can compile those answers here if people would like. I'm just a touch worried about this "FAQ" losing focus and/or becoming a beast that cannot be satisfied. ;) 

(I'm going to end up making like eight of these things on various topics, aren't I?)

• Veen Friend likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#62 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 13 July 2014 - 16:27

yup. :)

• agirlnamedbob likes this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#63 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2293 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:27

Of course!  How many balls can you juggle???

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#64 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:29

Double post, sorry!

For anyone who missed it, Ragnar has answered a few questions in both the Book One Trailer thread and the Recommended Internet Connection thread.

I can compile those answers here if people would like. I'm just a touch worried about this "FAQ" losing focus and/or becoming a beast that cannot be satisfied. ;)

(I'm going to end up making like eight of these things on various topics, aren't I?)

Erika, maybe it is time for a "General FAQ" - one that tries to be far more concise in its answers, but incorporates more. There are so many questions around here which should be answered concisely and in one place (starting with the "Oh no, my Humble page shows the incorrect tier" one).It's great that Ragnar answers all these questions in the greatest detail, but just collecting them will indeed result in a beast of an FAQ that few people would actually navigate.

I was thinking about something along the lines of e.g. this:

(1) Episodic structure, availability, delivery

• Every episode is called a “Book”. There are five books/episodes in total (source link to Ragnar quote).
  • Choices will carry over from episode to episode, i.e. choices made in episode one can affect you in episode 5 (source link).
  • The experience should eventually be seamless – you don’t have to restart the game to switch episodes (source), and you eventually have one game installed, not five (source).
  • you can not play the episodes seperately. The game is meant to be played from start to finish (source).
  • The episodes supposedly release on Steam, Humble and GOG simultaneously (source).
  • RTG aims at more than 10 hours of playing time, but that will depend on the individual player (source).
  • The Steam copy should update automatically (source), the other versions will receive corresponding episode patches (GOG/Humble, source).
  • You can only buy the full game (“Season pass”), not individual episodes (source).

I'd of course offer my help compiling and rewriting all of that.

• wandrew and Jecica like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#65 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2293 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:13

Vain, wouldn't that again lead to interpretation of Ragnar's comments which could be either correct or not?  With Erika's way, she has gathered all of the comments on the different subjects together in one place, but they are the actual comments, not our interpretations of them.  I suspect that if you put together a faq like you are suggesting, then the rest of the thread would be 'but I didn't interpret the original message like you did' kind of posts...

• agirlnamedbob and Veen Friend like this

#66 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:18

It is not problematic for us to interpret and condense Ragnar's posts. In all likelihood with we will get it right, and if we misunderstand something RTG will almost certainly correct us. Not to mention that we probably weren't the only ones misunderstanding it, then.
  • wandrew, agirlnamedbob and Veen Friend like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#67 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:37

Vain, wouldn't that again lead to interpretation of Ragnar's comments which could be either correct or not?

Only if we factually misunderstand Ragnar's clarifications.
I see that risk – yet only in about one or two percent of the myriad of issues above.
  • wandrew and agirlnamedbob like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#68 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 20:23

Yeah, originally I really wanted to avoid condensing Ragnar's words because I didn't want to take something out of context or put words in his mouth, but more and more it seems like we're going to need a condensed FAQ. I can start putting something together, tough it'll likely take some time. 

Pesky real life obligations taking away from my internet community time. ;)

And yeah, help is welcome. We can always divide and conquer. Assign people "Sections" or "Topics" to do. And then piece them together. 

• Vainamoinen, khh and Veen Friend like this

#69 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 22:41

I don't read the Book One Trailer thread because I don't watch the trailers because of spoilers.

Without knowing what he was answering, I wonder if some of the answers (or even the questions!) could be spoilers?

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

#70 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1627 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 14 July 2014 - 23:32

I don't read the Book One Trailer thread because I don't watch the trailers because of spoilers.
Without knowing what he was answering, I wonder if some of the answers (or even the questions!) could be spoilers?

His answers were more about the importance of maintaining Mystery
  • trentjaspar likes this

#71 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:16

All right, I'm neck deep in rewrites... so, ummm, new thread or first post and thread title edit?

I'm gravitating towards new thread, but wouldn't want to steal Erika's laurels here... most stuff largely draws on that incredible collection of info from the original post here.

#72 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 17:57

I'd say a new thread, to be honest. And I might rename this one something a bit more fitting. I also have to add Ragnar's new responses. Which I will do a little later. 

Don't worry about stealing my laurels. I've been busy, TBH, so I really really don't mind help. :P

But IMHO, this can stick around for people who want to read Ragnar's original posts on things and the condensed FAQ can be more comprehensive on topics not pertaining to this update...and also a quicker read. So people can (in theory) check the FAQ for the gist and if they want more info, they can come here. Or (for topics not covered here) go to the other threads. ...Does that make sense? I'm not sure I'm explaining myself properly. 

In any case, if anyone is working on compiling / condensing, lemme know. I can pick a topic or two and work on something tonight, but I don't want to do a topic that someone else is already covering. 

• Vainamoinen likes this

#73 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 16 July 2014 - 18:53

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to do anchor tags here, so we can link to headings in the large FAQ?

#74 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 19:03

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to do anchor tags here, so we can link to headings in the large FAQ?

Maybe. Do you want to link to specific posts or link to specific points in specific posts?

#75 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 19:29

Maybe. Do you want to link to specific posts or link to specific points in specific posts?

Specific points in specific posts, I guess (linking to specific posts, no problem). I'd be incredibly surprised if it works here, though. UBB code doesn't even supply the neccessary tags if I'm not mistaken. And on those few forums which actually allow HTML, these functions are usually disabled.

#76 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 July 2014 - 17:54

Mini-Poll - Since the Message from Ragnar thread has strayed off into customer service, should I recap all the customer service stuff here or do we just want to handle it in the more proper FAQ we're putting together?

• khh likes this

#77 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 17 July 2014 - 19:40

I'd say keep this thread about the impact that releasing the game as episodes will have, and put everything else into a more condensed general FAQ with links to the original quotes for those who want more in depth info.

• khh and Veen Friend like this

#78 Veen Friend

Veen Friend

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Køge

Posted 18 July 2014 - 18:57

The work done by Erika is immense and logical, and should be preserved for new comers.

The general FAQ would be much more stuctural and is more condensed and simpel to understand.

• Riaise likes this

#79 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 16:48

Figured since Ragnar said some official-ish things about episodic structuring and future games from RTG that I should add that here. 

• Riaise likes this

#80 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 31 July 2014 - 19:27

You worded the question much better than I did. :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: faq, ragnar, a message from ragnar, question and answer, q&a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users