85 replies to this topic

#41 Tamahome

Tamahome

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:49

Oh and I more or less had the same question as Tamahome in the original thread but it got ignored.  Will we have more time to up our pledges?

I guess this is quite an important question really, yet there doesn't seem to be an answer in a true The Longest Journey fashion :P  Backerkit is still showing the date of 1st October for making changes, but with this news all physical rewards won't be sent out in a long while so it's only logical RTG extend our ability to up the pledge for longer right? I mean it's additional money which they can use, what would be so bad about that?  :P

#42 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 07 July 2014 - 15:02

You'll always be THAT Tina to us. Nonetheless, good luck with the new life! ;)

You make it sound like I'm leaving and will never come back haha. But yeah, my new life has less of the "I have nothing to do, maybe I can find some crazy time consuming RTG thing to work on" moments, at least :) and I'll likely rush in to help whenever someone asks ;)

And Ragnar-comment = *squee* and that smiley that smiles a lot that I don't know the shortcut for because I'm typing on the phone (at work *looks around and hope nobody's watching*).
  • wandrew and Teller like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#43 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1624 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 07 July 2014 - 15:08

And Ragnar-comment = *squee* and that smiley that smiles a lot that I don't know the shortcut for because I'm typing on the phone (at work *looks around and hope nobody's watching*).

You mean this one ?

: + D = :D

(my personal favourite smiley)

#44 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11215 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 15:27

Right, I had a look through the FAQ but I couldn't find the answer for my question so here goes nothing: Does the shift to episodic mean that we can upgrade our pledge to a higher tier until the last book is released? Since the physical copies won't be shipping until after the game is fully released (I assume anyway). 

Oh and I more or less had the same question as Tamahome in the original thread but it got ignored.  Will we have more time to up our pledges?

Near as I can tell there hasn't been an official answer on this. As soon as there is, I'll add it to the OP. There was a separate thread about this issue a little while back where someone was asking, but I think the situation is a little different now that backererkit is locked down (or it is for me anyway). 

On RTG's end, they have to consider not only the additional (probably not huge) amount money that allowing people to up their pledge would bring in, but how that weighs against the potential extra work it might require on their end. I'd say wait a bit longer to see if we get an official answer, and if not maybe email them and see what they say. Though again, with vacations and stuff, they might just be slow to respond right now. 

Oh noes, I've got competition! :P But in all seriousness, I'm no longer spending that much time with RTG-stuff, so I'm not that Tina anymore :P I know I was super extremely active and dedicated for a while, but I also didn't have a (real) job or much social life back then. So I feel it's time to step down from that throne, hehe.

There can only be one that Tina. And as was already said, it will always be you. :P

Tina has done an AWESOME job helping establish this community and forum, and she deserves all the thanks. ALL OF THEM. Every single one.

Oh, except the ones she has to share with agirlnamedbob for making this fantastic and informative FAQ. THE REST OF THE THANKS TO HER. She's also awesome, and this thread is great, especially since I'm on the road and haven't been able to put together an FAQ myself.

But this one's much better than what I could have made on my own.

You guys are just awesome.

Ragnar

:sohappy:

Aww, thanks. I don't know if it's better than what you could have done, but happy to help!

If it's the one I did above, it's :so happy: without the space. ;)

• Tina, Teller and Edreamer Jamil like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#45 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 07 July 2014 - 17:16

You mean this one ?

: + D = :D

(my personal favourite smiley)

No, I meant this one: 

:sohappy:

So alrighty, sohappy it is :D

Near as I can tell there hasn't been an official answer on this. As soon as there is, I'll add it to the OP. There was a separate thread about this issue a little while back where someone was asking, but I think the situation is a little different now that backererkit is locked down (or it is for me anyway). 

On RTG's end, they have to consider not only the additional (probably not huge) amount money that allowing people to up their pledge would bring in, but how that weighs against the potential extra work it might require on their end. I'd say wait a bit longer to see if we get an official answer, and if not maybe email them and see what they say. Though again, with vacations and stuff, they might just be slow to respond right now. 

This. Backerkit seems to be locked down for everyone that got sent t-shirts. Which probably complicates things. In addition, the "upping of tiers" is done manually (I remember them saying this before) and is quite a bit of work for them (don't remember when/where, but some RTG'r said that), so since they are so few and already working as much as they can in order to finish the game, it makes sense if they're apprehensive about promising something that can be a lot of extra work to them (and depending on the "upping amount", it may not even be worth it, economically).

• Teller and Edreamer Jamil like this

#46 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11215 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 17:28

This. Backerkit seems to be locked down for everyone that got sent t-shirts. Which probably complicates things. In addition, the "upping of tiers" is done manually (I remember them saying this before) and is quite a bit of work for them (don't remember when/where, but some RTG'r said that), so since they are so few and already working as much as they can in order to finish the game, it makes sense if they're apprehensive about promising something that can be a lot of extra work to them (and depending on the "upping amount", it may not even be worth it, economically).

Yeah. Exactly. I feel like it also may not be in their best interest to allow people to upgrade to any tiers that require them to do additional work in game (though I also don't remember how many of those tiers are sold out between KS and Post / Outside of KS pledging). 

However, since it seems like quite a few of the people who want to up their pledge want to do so to get a physical copy, it may be possible for RTG to do some sort of interest poll to see if it would be worth it for them to do something along the lines of an additional physical copy pre-order before the last Book is released. But again, I have no idea how much extra work that is on their end. I just know that creating these things in bulk is usually the most cost effective method, and I don't think they have any intentions right now of making physical copies available for purchase down the road (because digital distribution is so much more cost effective). 

And again, all of the above is TOTAL speculation on my part, so please take it with a grain of salt. ;) 

• Tina likes this

#47 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1839 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:42

Yeah, that totally makes sense if they have to do it manually that'd be a lot of work.  Guess I'll wait for TLJH to toss this bundle of money their way. :D

As for people who want boxed versions, I guess they wouldn't get the rewards and the backer only boxes, but is RTG going to sell retail copies of the game?

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger
Upping the perviness factor of the Salty Seaman since 2013.

#48 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11215 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:11

I'd have to dig way back into the annals of the Kickstarter comments, but I know that at one point it was asked if boxed copies of the game would be avaliable for purchase later and it was stated that that they intended for physical copies of the game to be a Kickstarter only sort of deal since it is very costly for them to do them, especially as a small company. That may change/may have changed since then, but I would assume for now that the game will only be available for digital download. 

Though, frankly, very few PC games sell boxed copies anymore these days. Digital is more or less where it's at. 

As far as perks, it was definitely stated that they felt that the exclusive/special edition boxes should be perks for the backers to backed during the Kickstarter period / within a reasonable amount of slacker backer time afterwards. 

So yeah, if RTG does work something out, it's likely that some people will miss out on some backer exclusive goodies. People will likely have mixed opinions on that. But even from a logistics standpoint, if RTG was going to find a way to offer additional boxed copies it would likely be easier for them to do it without having to match everything up to Kickstarter stuff. 

Again. Speculation. No one take what I'm saying for gospel. 

• Tina and Teller like this

#49 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:53

I'd have to dig way back into the annals of the Kickstarter comments, but I know that at one point it was asked if boxed copies of the game would be avaliable for purchase later and it was stated that that they intended for physical copies of the game to be a Kickstarter only sort of deal since it is very costly for them to do them, especially as a small company. That may change/may have changed since then, but I would assume for now that the game will only be available for digital download. 

Though, frankly, very few PC games sell boxed copies anymore these days. Digital is more or less where it's at. 

As far as perks, it was definitely stated that they felt that the exclusive/special edition boxes should be perks for the backers to backed during the Kickstarter period / within a reasonable amount of slacker backer time afterwards. 

So yeah, if RTG does work something out, it's likely that some people will miss out on some backer exclusive goodies. People will likely have mixed opinions on that. But even from a logistics standpoint, if RTG was going to find a way to offer additional boxed copies it would likely be easier for them to do it without having to match everything up to Kickstarter stuff. 

Again. Speculation. No one take what I'm saying for gospel. 

It's still possible to get boxed copies by going to our slacker backer site at http://redthreadgames.com/pledge/ — we'll keep the option open until we run out of boxes. Of course, those boxes will NOT ship until all five books/episodes (bookisodes?) are out.

There might hopefully be a retail release in SOME territories (like Germany, for example) but this is by no means guaranteed: also, it's doubtful that English speaking areas will ever get a retail release. It just doesn't make much sense, financially.

If the game does well, we'll look into producing our own Director's Cut (or something like that) after all five bookisodes (I'm going to trademark that word) have been released. But, again, no guarantees.

Your best bet is really to grab one now while they're still available.

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and mrKnask like this

#50 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:35

Should that retail release occur in Germany, please make sure you go with a publisher who would press a DRM free version on those discs.

Unfortunately, Koch Media now forces Steam on almost all of its domestic retail products - even those it releases DRM free in other countries (e.g. Broken Sword 5). :( :(

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#51 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11215 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 14:49

See, for some reason it didn't even occur to me that the slacker backer stuff was still open. Probably because most of the pledge upping stuff I've seen has been about adding stuff through backer kit, which is now locked down for processing for a lot of people. 

Oh well. You know what they say about assuming things. I'll update the OP with that information. Though for people who already pledged who don't want to double pledge, you probably still need to contact RTG directly and see if they can work something out. 

*eyes Draic Kin tier* Nope, nope, nope, nope. Too broke. 

• Edreamer Jamil, khh and toremygg like this

#52 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 08 July 2014 - 16:52

There should have been Shifter slots left. Draic Kin is too much for me.
  • agirlnamedbob and khh like this

#53 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2319 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 08 July 2014 - 17:09

There should have been Shifter slots left. Draic Kin is too much for me.

There isn't that much of a difference between Shifter and the first ($750) Draic, so maybe you can contact them and be the 501'th Shifter? Althougt I guess and  understand if that's not possible; If they allowed that and many people jumped on it it would be total mayhem logistically...

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#54 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 23:13

If the game does well, we'll look into producing our own Director's Cut (or something like that) after all five bookisodes (I'm going to trademark that word) have been released. But, again, no guarantees.

Wasn't the Director's Cut one of the stretch goals that was reached?

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#55 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:28

Wasn't the Director's Cut one of the stretch goals that was reached?

Yes, it was.

And not only do we get to make a game; we get to make the Director's Cut of this game.
That makes me very, very happy.

from update #32 ("Dreamfall Chapters is funded! Thank you!") : https://www.kickstar...ey/posts/424403

And

The Director's Cut will uncut a number of things we had to, um, cut in order to whittle our budget down to $1,000,000 -- including a couple of locations, some intriguing characters and conversations, a number of smaller scenes and intimate moments, a few puzzles, a bunch of minor story beats, and a hatful of funsies.

While we've never cut any critical or core elements from the central storyline -- nothing that would negatively affect the game's plot -- we had to trim down the size and length of the game in order to end up with a budget fit for our initial Kickstarter goal.

With one-point-five million dollars in the bank, we can afford to bring some of those ideas, concepts, game moments and designs back to life; all of it content that our director hated to see go. This is a true Director's Cut, therefore, in every sense of the word. Bringing this material back to life will make him very, very happy; the game will be richer, deeper, longer and better for it; and this, in turn, will make you, our players, very, very happy!

We don't want to spoil anything, but when we get within batting range of $1,500,000, we will post another update with a couple of clues about what's in store in this improved Director's Cut version of Dreamfall Chapters!

This stretch goal, seeing as it is a proper Director's Cut, will also include a commentary track, featuring creative director Ragnar Tørnquist along with other key developers!

Hear the team's thoughts on key scenes in the game, listen to amusing anecdotes, bad jokes, insights and information about the development process. Go behind-the-scenes to learn about our worlds, characters, important events, puzzling puzzles and, of course, the story itself. Every aspect of the game will be covered, from the soundtrack and voices, to the character art, location design, engine, tools, writing process and game systems.

We will bring the whole team in on the recording sessions and make this the best commentary track you've ever heard (except for the commentary track to Joss Whedon's Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, you couldn't possibly beat that).

from update #23 ("The Director's Cut"): https://www.kickstar...ey/posts/419653

#56 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:30

I don't think we're talking about the same kind of director's cut here. I think Ragnar just said it yesterday as an example of what their own box could be called if they actually make it. Or something. Because yes, we reached that goal. And that meant the game would be bigger for everyone, not that they're making two separate games (cut and uncut). So the 'old' directors cut (stretch goal) became the 'regular game'. And if they make some special box edition, then that can be called "director's cut (or something like that)" as Ragnar said.

At least that's how I read his post yesterday.
  • Edreamer Jamil and khh like this

#57 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 13:14

So the 'old' directors cut (stretch goal) became the 'regular game'.

This makes sense, and I'm ok with this.

As long as there is not going to be an "ultimate director's cut" version with extra in-game content (and possible paid DLC for those of us with the simple DC version) later on. Not a practice that I'm backing.

I agree that the discussion is based on a hypothesis, and I also suspect Ragnar probably didn't put much thought in the confusion that might be caused by using the term director's cut to mean something different here.

#58 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:51

This makes sense, and I'm ok with this.

As long as there is not going to be an "ultimate director's cut" version with extra in-game content (and possible paid DLC for those of us with the simple DC version) later on. Not a practice that I'm backing.

I agree that the discussion is based on a hypothesis, and I also suspect Ragnar probably didn't put much thought in the confusion that might be caused by using the term director's cut to mean something different here.

Why confusion? The statement above was in regards to a boxed version of the game that we might release after all five bookisodes are out. Why not call it Director's Cut, even though the game is already, technically, a director's cut? It would, after all, include all the goodies we've created for the Kickstarter, along with the full game.

Not saying that such a thing will happen or is financially feasible or that the game is enough of a hit to justify the cost, but it's a possibility.

• Tina and Edreamer Jamil like this

#59 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:24

Why confusion?

Because, I didn't consider it part of the answer about the boxed versions* and hence it seemed like another DC version could be a possibility if the game sold well. It's very clear to me now what you've meant. Thank you.

* (for whatever reason; probably because I first read MisterMetropolis reply and then your porst; I should be paying more attention)
  • Morten and Edreamer Jamil like this

#60 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11215 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 July 2014 - 14:51

Edit 2.1 is now live in the OP with clarifications from this post and the other one. :)

• wandrew, Tina, Chocobo_sage and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: faq, ragnar, a message from ragnar, question and answer, q&a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users