• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:16

As many people are aware, there was recently a rather large announcement about the decision to take Dreamfall Chapters episodic.

The announcement was made in the A message from Ragnar thread. And it immediately spawned a FLURRY of replies with several questions asked about basically everything under the sun. And Ragnar has been very diligent about answering them. However, the thread is now over 20 pages long, making finding specific discussions problematic.

To help with that, I've compiled a list of all of the topical / non-fluff posts Ragnar has made in that thread for your perusal. Some of them may be slightly snipped to remove fluff / off topic info. If you want to see the original post with the original quote it was in response to, just click the arrow in the top right corner of the quoted Ragnar post.

I will also be taking some of these responses and using them to start new threads for topics that are unrelated to the announcement.

Questions About Episodic Structure, Delivery, And Continuity:

Spoiler

So What's In Book One / Subsequent Books?
Spoiler

Questions About Recaps In Between Books:
Spoiler

Questions About Budget / Timeline Concerns:
Spoiler

Questions About Reward Distribution:
Spoiler

What About The Recap Of TLJ / Dreamfall?

Note: An official thread about this has been opened here.

Spoiler

Questions About Beta Access / Early Access / Demos
Spoiler

"Bigger / Better" And Factors In Going Episodic
Spoiler

Questions About Bad Reaction To The Episodic Model:
Spoiler

Backer Discontent / Questions About Crowdfunding And Backers vs. Investors
Spoiler

Questions About Backer Exclusivity:
Spoiler

Questions About TLJH / Future Games:

Spoiler

Questions About Changes:
Spoiler

Tomorrow I'm going to start topics for some of these off topic issues so they can be further discussed outside of the Message from Ragnar thread. Assuming someone else hasn't already.

EDIT: Updated. Now with 10% more spoiler tags. May do a little more formatting of individual questions when I have the time. 
EDIT 2.0: Added information about slacker backing / physical copy availability under "Reward Distribution"
EDIT 2.1: Further clarification added under "Reward Distribution."
EDIT 2.2: A note about episodic structure and future games added under "Questions About TLJH / Future Games."

EDIT 3.Uh Oh:  I think this is my last edit guys. The code in the OP is getting so bulky that it's breaking as I try to edit it and the page is freezing up on me. Ragnar's latest answers from the thread have been added under Structure/Delivery/Continuity, Budget / Timeline, and Reward Distribution.

• Ragnar, Martin, wandrew and 35 others like this

#2 Undreamer

Undreamer

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationThe Storytime

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:26

You are a saint for compiling this together. You rock.

• agirlnamedbob, trentjaspar, Dmm and 2 others like this

"I am at the crossroads between waking and dream. One path leads back to the world I left behind. The other path … the other path leads to a place of shadows. Between the familiar and the unknown, between certainty and doubt, my choice would seem obvious. Any sane man would turn around, return to the world he knows, forget what he has learned, and live his life in blissful ignorance. But in truth, it is too late. My choice was made many years ago, when I first embarked on this journey. I cannot turn back. I am at a crossroads, but for me there is only one path. I leave behind these words in the hope that, someday, they will serve as a map for someone else. To whomever reads this, Godspeed on your journey. If you ever decide to follow in my footsteps, look me up." -Brian Westhouse, Dreamfall

"The hardest part of the day isn't falling asleep realizing you are going to awaken in a new world. It's trying to wake up knowing you will have to fall asleep and abandon that world at some point, abandoning everything that you've fallen in love with in that world."

#3 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3527 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:35

You crazy, bitch*! :D

*only used that term to fit the vernacular, no insult intended.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#4 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7261 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:48

Thanks for this Erika you are a SuperGril! :D

• Dmm likes this
The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#5 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6105 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:06

SPECTACULAR.

I'd suggest putting the individual answer complexes into separate spoiler tags, i.e. episodic structure, one spoiler tag, etc. The incredible effort you put into this compilation unfortunately wouldn't be visible to everyone immediately.

• agirlnamedbob and Dmm like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#6 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3527 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:20

You are a saint for compiling this together

Are you suggestion she's schizophrenic?  :P  :wonk:

• agirlnamedbob and Raiden like this

#7 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7061 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:59

This is super, Erika, super!

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#8 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:56

wow that must have taken a long time to figure out and write, really big well done.

#9 Jecica

Jecica

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1494 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:47

Wow, you rock, Erika! Thank you!

"We have seen it all, yes, and we remember. We remember because we pass the stories on, from Harbinger of the Balance to A Rubber Ducky, throughout the centuries. Do you want to hear one of our stories?
Ask us, ask. Ask about
the Pizza, the Thief and the Time..."

#10 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 14:03

Thanks very much for doing this, Erika! Hopefully, it can help RTG with the organization and content of the eventual official FAQ.

#11 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 14:09

Great job Erika, it's nice to see all these answers in one place. I missed quite a few of those in the other thread.

There is still some inconsistency about whether the game will be longer due to reverting to episodic releases (the two latter responses indicate that this is not the case, albeit the first response "Wrong, wrong and wrong." says otherwise). Anyway, I'm willing to go with the latter responses, and it really does not make a difference to someone who never actually knew what and how much EXACTLY the initial content was, and what EXACTLY was the CUT content that we got with that 1.5mil stretch goal -yes I know the campaign updates did mention some general stuff- (it's a reason why I am never ok with stretch goals that promise "even more content", but that's marketing 101 for me I guess), and what EXACTLY got changed and revised during these last years. Because as Ragnar emphasizes time and again, we are not there in the team*.

Speaking of Director's Cut stuff, is that developer commentary included from the first book, or is it coming later on with the final release?

*. However as far as not asking feedback from the backers goes, a middle ground would be to present the team's viable alternatives (provided you had some or could come up with some) before going forward with the episodic decision. That way, we wouldn't really have to know your budget, schedules and other technical stuff that we cannot know and cannot handle even if we did (and it's not our job), and we would still have the opportunity to give some feedback before we were presented with the final decision.

#12 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1603 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 02 July 2014 - 14:44

Epically compiled, Bravo !

#13 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6105 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 14:48

There is still some inconsistency about whether the game will be longer due to reverting to episodic releases (the two latter responses indicate that this is not the case, albeit the first response "Wrong, wrong and wrong." says otherwise).

I do think we've got that covered.

The inconsistency stems from the precise way I phrased my claim, which Erika has gracefully repeated in full. My claim was: Episodic games [in general] are not longer than traditional full releases [in general]. Ragnar, however, has answered these claims with the sole focus on Dreamfall Chapters, arguing that hell yes an episodic Chapters game will be longer than Chapters without the episodic model.

In the course of the discussion, we have also clarified further points of reference for our claims; particularly that "longer" means "longer than the full game we would have delivered in November" but not "longer than the Director's Cut we promised". With the revenue from the episodic series, RTG intends to make Chapters JUST AS LONG as they've planned and promised on Kickstarter.

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and ShadowNate like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#14 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 15:04

You crazy, bitch*! :D

*only used that term to fit the vernacular, no insult intended.

As long as we mean crazy in a lovable way and not a "Fit her for a straight jacket and take away the tinfoil hat" way, I'm cool with it. ;) 

I'd suggest putting the individual answer complexes into separate spoiler tags, i.e. episodic structure, one spoiler tag, etc. The incredible effort you put into this compilation unfortunately wouldn't be visible to everyone immediately.

Yeah, I THOUGHT about doing that, but I wasn't sure if that would be too unweildy. If anyone has formatting suggestions, I'm all ears. It's still not the BEST to navigate, but it's easier than trolling through 25+ pages of comments. 

Would you still want the individual spoiler tags on each answer, or just one spoiler tag for each category?

I'll fuss with it a little later and see how it looks.

wow that must have taken a long time to figure out and write, really big well done.

I'm, uh... Not willing to admit how much time I spent on this.  :blush:

Thanks very much for doing this, Erika! Hopefully, it can help RTG with the organization and content of the eventual official FAQ.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I mean, Ragnar and/or the rest of RTG probably (?)  want to condense this further into a list of very specific questions with very specific clarifications and answers, but I didn't feel comfortable pruning and paraphrasing, lest I accidentally misinterpret or take something out of context. At least this way people can navigate the conversation a little easier and RTG can maybe also keep track of everything that's been discussed a little easier. 

And, of course, when / if they do put out something official, they remove / move / lock / whatever this thread as they see fit.

• trentjaspar likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#15 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1245 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 15:17

I think in between the cracks of different people's interpretations and understanding of this that and the other, and the general idea of what he means from the creator himself, I can make sense out of how longer is not longer, and yet still is longer.

When the director's cut was reached, Ragnar enlarged the scope of his vision of what would be possible and what he wanted to do. Then, within the available budget, he had a certain amount of assets to use to turn that scope into reality. Deciding to go episodic meant that he can now use more assets and make the realisation of that vision more rich, leading to a denser and longer experience for the player. But the vision is still the same one from the director's cut stretch goal. So the fundamental idea is not what is being enlarged, it's the realisation of it.

Longer, but not longer.

#16 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 17:18

Let me just belatedly add to the well-deserved shower of adulation, admiration, appreciation, and amazement for Ms. Eby and her tireless work herein!  :)

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" and "The Cat Lady."  Previous game: "A Bird Story"

#17 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 17:28

Longer, but not longer.

I think a better way of putting it would be "Bigger, but not necessarily longer." 

[Warning: What follows is my own interpretation of what Ragnar said.]

As the story grew and changed and became what the team felt it needed to be, the project as a whole got bigger than initially anticipated. This doesn't necessarily mean a longer game, but it does mean more work for the team for writing, designing, polishing, etc. 

Going Episodic will allow them to focus on the game in chunks, therefore making a game that is better / richer / fuller than it would be if they released the whole thing at once with their current resources. That doesn't necessarily mean that they game is longer than what they originally anticipated. 

EDIT: I reread the original announcement and in it they do say that the game will likely be longer than their initial estimate, BUT they're also really clear to not give specifics / gameplay time estimates for all the reasons that have been stated in response to other questions. What I'm getting is that it's a really complex issue and there are a lot of factors / ways to interpret "bigger" and "longer" here. 

Though I think discussion about specific questions above should probably go into specific topical threads. I need to make sure I'm not making any duplicates, but I figure a discussion / questions about the C&C / Social mechanics might deserve their own thread. The bigger / longer / better discussion may or may not need its own thread? The RecApp already has a thread. 

Let me know if there are any specific topics you'd like to see a thread for and I can start one and put the applicable information from Ragnar in the OP. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#18 Undreamer

Undreamer

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationThe Storytime

Posted 02 July 2014 - 18:01

Are you suggestion she's schizophrenic?  :P  :wonk:

Sometimes I hate the English language.

Let me rephrase... *ahem*

Thank you for compiling this collection of FAQs in to one single thread. My other statement still stands. You rock. Now before we get into debating the context of whether or not she is a mineral, that is not the case. I am referring to the colloquial definition of the word that is akin to awesome. 

• Tina, trentjaspar and toremygg like this

"I am at the crossroads between waking and dream. One path leads back to the world I left behind. The other path … the other path leads to a place of shadows. Between the familiar and the unknown, between certainty and doubt, my choice would seem obvious. Any sane man would turn around, return to the world he knows, forget what he has learned, and live his life in blissful ignorance. But in truth, it is too late. My choice was made many years ago, when I first embarked on this journey. I cannot turn back. I am at a crossroads, but for me there is only one path. I leave behind these words in the hope that, someday, they will serve as a map for someone else. To whomever reads this, Godspeed on your journey. If you ever decide to follow in my footsteps, look me up." -Brian Westhouse, Dreamfall

"The hardest part of the day isn't falling asleep realizing you are going to awaken in a new world. It's trying to wake up knowing you will have to fall asleep and abandon that world at some point, abandoning everything that you've fallen in love with in that world."

#19 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3841 posts
  • LocationA shack in the Northern Continent

Posted 02 July 2014 - 19:33

Great work there Bobbygirl, you're a star. :)

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

Blog - https://chocobosage.wordpress.com/

#20 Constanse

Constanse

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationArendal

Posted 03 July 2014 - 13:39

I am amazed! *bows down to Erika*

• trentjaspar likes this

- Tina the OWCUWNCIWC  -

Can I help you? I'm at your cervix!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: faq, ragnar, a message from ragnar, question and answer, q&a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users