• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tacodrell

tacodrell

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:39

Or is it just a cipher? The only word I recognise is 'Tu' which is 'you' in spanish, but other than that I've no idea. 

#2 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3043 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:50

Or is it just a cipher? The only word I recognise is 'Tu' which is 'you' in spanish, but other than that I've no idea. 

I think what Tobias spoke in TLJ was words from several different languages used together. But that doesn't mean it's what Alltongue is in-universe.

EDIT: Translations here: http://tlj.wikia.com/wiki/Na'ven

#3 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:41

I thought it worked more like the babel fish from H2G2.  Once you let the magic in you, you can understand everyone, no matter what language they are actually speaking. 

What April originally heard would be whatever actual language Tobias learned to speak, which from Indrid's link, would seem to be some form of Latin, or Latin-based language.

• Vainamoinen likes this

#4 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3043 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:35

I thought it worked more like the babel fish from H2G2.  Once you let the magic in you, you can understand everyone, no matter what language they are actually speaking. 

What April originally heard would be whatever actual language Tobias learned to speak, which from Indrid's link, would seem to be some form of Latin, or Latin-based language.

I thought that may be the case, but Tobias, Crow and others say they're speaking Na'ven...

#5 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:53

It works slightly better than the concept of the universal translator (which is total bs) or sticking a fish in your ear. Its a required plot device you are better off not thinking about :)

• toremygg likes this

#6 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7061 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:16

Thinking about it in-universe, it probably is a constructed language. As far as we know other languages in Arcadia work the same was as languages in our world - they have to be learned the hard way. Before the Northlands united, when they were likely all speaking different languages, they would have had need of a common language to facilitate trade and friendly relations. It is entirely reasonable to think that greatest minds sat down in order to construct such a language, that's happened in our world, though no constructed language has ever really caught on here.. However in Arcadia they were somehow able to leverage or tap into the latent magic of the world and create a language that you could learn just by listening. While we don't know how they might create such a a language, once it had been created it's easy to see that it would spread like wildfire. And so in relatively short order it would become the common language of Arcadia.

• Indrid Cold likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#7 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6104 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:52

I speak the language of magic, the tongue of the soul.

That's not quite a constructed language. Heck, it may not even strictly speaking be a "language" really. There may be elements of telepathy involved.

On that strain of thought, it's perfectly understandable how April's mind circles through bits and pieces from Starkian language families before the correct English counterparts 'lock in' and she can understand Tobias. What she is "hearing" is not what Tobias is "saying", that much is certain. We don't "hear" Tobias speaking Na'ven because to us, Na'ven is English! 

But I do wonder why the Prophet didn't attempt to eradicate Na'ven from Marcuria, completely. :ehehe:

• khh and Indrid Cold like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#8 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationGreece, Thessaloniki

Posted 23 August 2016 - 21:40

It works slightly better than the concept of the universal translator (which is total bs) or sticking a fish in your ear. Its a required plot device you are better off not thinking about :)

It would be much more realistic if they were speaking some magical form of Protoindoeuropean or panlanguage. I think that it is implied or at least hinted that alltongue is some form of ancient plus magical protolanguage.

• Vainamoinen likes this

#9 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6104 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 13:43

It would be much more realistic if they were speaking some magical form of Protoindoeuropean

To better simulate the form of language spoken at separation – 12,000 years ago? I don't think so. :)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#10 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationGreece, Thessaloniki

Posted 24 August 2016 - 22:25

To better simulate the form of language spoken at separation – 12,000 years ago? I don't think so. :)

Why not? Reconstructed PIE goes back 7000 years at most, but it has to have been part of an even more ancient form, which is nigh impossible to reconstruct because we have no evidence. One could make suggestions but you would need to be a linguist to even try that. Using a model that resembles PIE would be acceptable for a game, though. It would be pretty obvious that this form of language would then evolve into something more modern, but since Alltongue is a magical megalanguage, it would be less prone to sudden changes (and Arcadia seems a lot more static than Stark). That's why I think that it would be close enough to have Alltongue at least resemble PIE.

#11 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 25 August 2016 - 00:45

[...] That's why I think that it would be close enough to have Alltongue at least resemble PIE.

...know you're making a smart point about proto-Indoeuropean language....but..can't resist....pie GIF...

IUnQIGt0bSoyA.gif

My apologies.  Please carry on.  :)

• Hellegennes likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users