#61 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1627 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 08 July 2014 - 19:07

Just a quick question for when we get to the Dreamfall playthrough: will the game work with an X-Box 360 style controller? I've only ever played DF on an XBox and have heard that the PC controls are a little chunky.

Didn't Ragnar use such a controller for the live Dreamfall play through ?
  • TalkingOak likes this

#62 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 08 July 2014 - 19:18

I love Prologue in TLJ. Fantastic landscape, Tree puzzle and Mother. I think that this is a place where April's journey will end.

I think the prologue is what really draws you in to the game. Finding out about April's life in Venice is interesting, but it's wanting to find out what the dream was about that keeps you going. :)

Some random thoughts while playing: something I noticed, that I hadn't paid attention to before, is that when April first speaks to Cortez he says that "we didn't think you'd react this way". Who is we? I would assume it's Father Raul, but could it be anyone else? Also, speaking to Charlie about his dream of being a dancer after having played Dreamfall is just a little bit heartbreaking.  :(

In other news, I thought I'd give anti-aliasing a go and after messing about with a whole load of settings I think I've got it working.  B) (It does look a lot better  :D)

• Edreamer Jamil and trentjaspar like this

#63 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1627 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 08 July 2014 - 19:29

I think the prologue is what really draws you in to the game. Finding out about April's life in Venice is interesting, but it's wanting to find out what the dream was about that keeps you going. :)

Some random thoughts while playing: something I noticed, that I hadn't paid attention to before, is that when April first speaks to Cortez he says that "we didn't think you'd react this way". Who is we? I would assume it's Father Raul, but could it be anyone else? U Also, speaking to Charlie about his dream of being a dancer after having played Dreamfall is just a little bit heartbreaking.  :(

In other news, I thought I'd give anti-aliasing a go and after messing about with a whole load of settings I think I've got it working.  B) (It does look a lot better  :D)

In case you've an Nvidia card let me know how you did it (you can PM me if you like so we don't go too much off topic)

I felt April was perhaps a little too accepting to meet up again with Cortez after he initially freaked her out - but then again I recall when playing the first time how driven I felt to discover what the dreams were all about, and I imagine so does April

#64 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 08 July 2014 - 19:38

In case you've an Nvidia card let me know how you did it (you can PM me if you like so we don't go too much off topic)

No, I have a Radeon, sorry. :( I did come across these instructions while I was searching, I don't know if that helps at all?

#65 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 19:44

No, I have a Radeon, sorry. :( I did come across these instructions while I was searching, I don't know if that helps at all?

Just a teensy bit different. Start the Catalyst control center, under Gaming > Application settings, click the "add" button and choose the .exe file for TLJ. This creates a new entry that predefines the settings just for TLJ. For anti aliasing, choose "override application settings", choose 4x AA, save and close.

I have NO idea if that works. Like, AT ALL. I just had to fiddle with that stuff for Anachronox, so maybe it's useful for TLJ as well. ;)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#66 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:33

I give up. The Let's Play thing has defeated me. 

I finally found a program that sort of works for my purposes (FRAPS only records 30 seconds at a time unless you pay, and my system doesn't support ShadowPlay), and now I'm having all kinds of weird volume issues. That and for some reason cut scenes aren't showing up on my screen. Like they show up in the video, but I can't see them at all while I'm playing. Which is getting super annoying. So I think I need to figure out what's causing that. 

So I may try to do a Let's Play after I've played the game once and like remember all of it, but I'm also finding that I just really don't have anything terribly interesting to say. :/ Sorry guys. I tried. 

That said, I'm through the prologue and part of the way through Chapter 1. Stuff is starting to come back to me. It's like I'm remember how much I've forgotten. It's weird, because it's like going through a timecapsule or going through an old photo album. Stuff you remember, stuff you don't, and hoping that it all brings back fond memories and not disappointment. ;) 

So far, definitely fond memories. 

• Tina, Chocobo_sage, Edreamer Jamil and 4 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#67 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 09 July 2014 - 14:42

That's a shame. Thanks for trying anyway, Erika! :)

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#68 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 14:57

I will likely try again in the future. Like if I end up playing ahead a little, I might go back and try to do the Let's Play. But I just don't think I have the best system set up for it. And dealing with all of the technical issues was starting to eat into my enjoyment of the game. So we're just going to table it for now. 

• khh and Riaise like this

#69 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:05

Recording the FMV (all the cut scenes and credits) in the game might not work. The video overlay tech is so old most recording software might have issues.

#70 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:57

See, the issue isn't that it's not recording, though. 

The issue is that my recording program is picking up the cut scenes just fine. But while I'm playing the game I can't see them at all. I can hear the music. But I can't see anything. Though I'm pretty sure I was having that issue while I was testing settings with the opening credits even when I wasn't recording.

I'm going to have to futz with it tonight and see if I can fix that, because it's kind of hard to enjoy the game when it either just shows me a still image or a black screen when I'm supposed to be watching a cut scene. 

#71 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 09 July 2014 - 18:21

Thats still a recording issue :) make sure the fps counter is off, maybe that will help, if not its probably more trouble than its worth. Old game and all, it was always going to cause trouble ;)

maybe some one who can use nvidia shadow play might have more luck, with its hardware decoding and other fancy stuff.

#72 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 July 2014 - 21:15

Erika, try using Open Broadcasting Software's screen capture.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#73 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4002 posts
  • LocationA shack in the Northern Continent

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:06

No worries Bobbygirl, hope you can enjoy the game atleast. :)

I've Finally started TLJ tonight and already had a couple of pervy double entendre's hahaha.

(I blame my tired mind and lack of brain)

But got through the prologue and am outide the border house. ;)

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

Blog - https://chocobosage.wordpress.com/

#74 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2322 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:38

See, the issue isn't that it's not recording, though. 

The issue is that my recording program is picking up the cut scenes just fine. But while I'm playing the game I can't see them at all. I can hear the music. But I can't see anything. Though I'm pretty sure I was having that issue while I was testing settings with the opening credits even when I wasn't recording.

I'm going to have to futz with it tonight and see if I can fix that, because it's kind of hard to enjoy the game when it either just shows me a still image or a black screen when I'm supposed to be watching a cut scene. 

Had the same issue when I was going to play it a year or so ago. I had to activate more monitors or somethingg like that, even tho I just use the screen on my laptop. I don't remember exactly and this was via Steam. I think you can find a better explanation there! Hope that helps :)

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#75 Mixthos

Mixthos

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationPaderborn, Germany

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:12

Just a quick question for when we get to the Dreamfall playthrough: will the game work with an X-Box 360 style controller? I've only ever played DF on an XBox and have heard that the PC controls are a little chunky.

Yes. It works great once you configure it in the game settings. :) 

That and for some reason cut scenes aren't showing up on my screen. Like they show up in the video, but I can't see them at all while I'm playing. Which is getting super annoying.

I actually had the exact opposite problem when I tried Fraps. I could see the cut scenes on my screen but they weren't recorded. :lol:

• agirlnamedbob and TalkingOak like this

#76 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 July 2014 - 20:27

I thought I played through TLJ during the kickstarter, but it seems I only played Dreamfall (and watched the twitch.tv streaming). Time to play TLJ again then, I guess, if I can even get it running on this computer (I'm a computer tech by trade, so I guess I will somehow).

The schedule looks good, I'll try to get TLJ running today, so I may tag along! :)

Managed to locate my English language XPLOSIV re-release. I guess I'll opt for the English language even when I have the original Norwegian langiage release, if nothing else, because it's should be easier to get it running. The XPLOSIV installer claims it did the job, and I'll soon see if the game works right out of the box.

I'll look into enabling FSAA and any other graphics options or drivers which may help with the FMV or in game graphics.

• khh likes this

#77 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 10 July 2014 - 20:45

Yay, the more the merrier! :D

I've just finished Chapter Two and I was wondering if someone can clarify...is the Divide actually the Storytime? Are they the same place, in that the Storytime is actually the "area" (for want of a better term) between the worlds? Would that mean that the Guardian's Realm is part of the Storytime?

Also, out of curiosity, do we know which of the Kin it was that helped create the two worlds? And was it ever explained how Cortez met Tobias? He specifically says "I cannot go there" in reference to Arcadia, and Tobias can't Shift.  :huh:

#78 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1627 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 10 July 2014 - 20:56

As I recall the Storytime is considered a separate world to the Divide

In Dreamfall after all you visit both; but more than that I recall Ragnar stating the same, perhaps someone can find the quote

EDIT : Or hang on I was thinking about the Winter rather than Storytime; I got the impression the Storytime was another domain still, although it looks sort of Winter-y to me

I've also completed Chapter 2

• Riaise likes this

#79 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 July 2014 - 22:27

By checking the "force single buffer" option, and using 4x multisample AA, it both runs well and looks fine. Without "force single buffer" the AA screwed up some of the graphics. Other options made the screen all blurry, so I think I'll stop tinkering with options. The sound quality isn't exactly top notch, but I guess there isn't anything to do about that?

I just entered Fringe Cafe in Chapter 1, which should be close to the end of the chapter, IIRC.

TLJ is still as good as I remembered! :)

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#80 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 721 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 23:13

As I recall the Storytime is considered a separate world to the Divide

EDIT : Or hang on I was thinking about the Winter rather than Storytime; I got the impression the Storytime was another domain still, although it looks sort of Winter-y to me

Yes. :)

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, Community playthrough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users