#61 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 July 2014 - 22:03

It would surprise me in a bad way if you can't do what you describe, so I assume it will work fine.

#62 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 22:32

So you mean that i can copy the game in one disk and play from there,correct?That's my main concern and i'm not sure if i can do that with a digital download of a game .I've read that Steam only lets you play your games through their page,but that's only for Steam,right?Sorry,colour me ignorant.

As to why i would need to copy them on a disk,well,because i want to.I would prefer a physical copy of the game (like in the old days,when you went to a store and bought a game-disk,box and all) and since i only get a digital one,that's my next option.

#63 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 July 2014 - 22:36

You won't have to download the game through Steam if you don't want to. For your purposes, I would honestly not recommend you download the game through Steam. The game will also be distributed through GOG and the Humble Store. These copies will be DRM free, so you should have no problem copying them to a disk if you want to have a physical copy of the game. 

Whether you play it from a disk or not, you should have no problem playing while not connected to the internet. 

• thelj likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#64 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 22:44

Thanks agirlnamedbob!  :)

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#65 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:33

Pull out the internet cable. Does the game work? If yes, it was totally optional. If not then it wasn't. That is the bar.

Good bar.

And yes, Dreamfall Chapters will still work! You don't get the cool little piecharts and Decision Point data, but THAT IS YOUR CHOICE. You can play the game in the most desolate place on Earth, far from any internets or Steams, and you'll still be fine.

• Edreamer Jamil and DiskJunky like this

#66 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:40

Why hello there, pleased to meet you. You may call me Valiah. I love single player adventure games and RPGs, and I like being online. Even when I play games that are offline, I will go online to share my experience with others. I've also found that most single player games have forums where people go to share their experiences and ask each other about the choices made in game. Loads of people. Online. Amazing.

I really don't see a problem with it. In fact, I have no problem seeing how a series can benefit from collecting this information. Tracking the choices made by players can give the developers great information that can be used to improve on how the story is told in the next installment. Maybe the players don't relate to a character as much as the devs would have liked, maybe the consequences of certain choices are to vague, maybe one side was under represented... 

It will be interesting to see how the percentages change over time. In the beginning I would assume people would go based on their own judgement of the situation, but I would assume that as guides start coming out the percentages will be affected by people picking based on their desired outcome instead. 

I think I love you.

Uh, I mean, WELL SAID.

• wandrew, Tina, Edreamer Jamil and 3 others like this

#67 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:47

So you mean that i can copy the game in one disk and play from there,correct?That's my main concern and i'm not sure if i can do that with a digital download of a game .I've read that Steam only lets you play your games through their page,but that's only for Steam,right?Sorry,colour me ignorant.

As to why i would need to copy them on a disk,well,because i want to.I would prefer a physical copy of the game (like in the old days,when you went to a store and bought a game-disk,box and all) and since i only get a digital one,that's my next option.

When all five bookisodes have been released — in other words, when the season is done and you can play from beginning to end without any cliffhangers or long weeks of waiting — you can download the full install and do whatever you want with it. GOG and Humble will have DRM-free versions. Heck, the Steam version might be DRM free as well; I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be. (But then I'm not an engineer so don't take my word for it.)

Of course, I would recommend playing each bookisode as it comes out to join in the communal fun of discussing and theorising and arguing and giving us valuable feedback, but that is entirely up to you. We won't be mad if you don't. We promise.

#68 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:55

We won't be mad if you don't. We promise.

You'd be mad if you did.

(I love the English language...)

• wandrew and Edreamer Jamil like this

#69 kamikaze

kamikaze

Rubber Ducky

• Forum Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Location/Earth/Europe/Germany/Karlsruhe

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:53

Just because I feel entitled to, I give my 2 cents:

I'll turn everything off that breaks immersion. E.g. achievements, social stuff. And everything that I cannot turn off will annoy me.

I want to experience a story.

• DiskJunky likes this

[ FreeBSD ports - XC878 libraries - kamikaze@bsdforen.de ]
----
Unicycling, dancing, FreeBSD, embedded C/electronics, FSAE, ponies, Heavy/Thrash/Death Metal and a hacker, that's me in a nutshell.

#70 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:24

^^this :)

It's just me and a few others - not a complaint or criticism on RTG!

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#71 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:31

When all five bookisodes have been released — in other words, when the season is done and you can play from beginning to end without any cliffhangers or long weeks of waiting — you can download the full install and do whatever you want with it. GOG and Humble will have DRM-free versions. Heck, the Steam version might be DRM free as well; I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be. (But then I'm not an engineer so don't take my word for it.)

Of course, I would recommend playing each bookisode as it comes out to join in the communal fun of discussing and theorising and arguing and giving us valuable feedback, but that is entirely up to you. We won't be mad if you don't. We promise.

I generally like watching things all in one go - but that's me, not a complaint :) Some shows I watch as they come put (few cliffhangers), some I wait until the entire thing as aired (lots of cliffhangers). From the sound of things I may want to wait :)

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#72 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:54

Pull out the internet cable. Does the game work? If yes, it was totally optional. If not then it wasn't. That is the bar.

Good bar.

Ungh. Actually, we might need a considerably higher bar. As we've discussed here, particularly the "totally" is debatable. I'm trusting RTG to do it right, but as previously discussed, even a game that does in principle work without an internet connection doesn't exactly have "totally optional online functions" if
  • a primarily single player experience renders a broken or considerably less seamless experience when you're not online. A game that continuously and visually deplores that it doesn't find a connection, wastes time trying to find a connection every time you start up the game, reminds you at all kinds of places that you could maybe possibly certainly go online right now, displays a plain 404 in the browser enhanced start menu because the ads couldn't be loaded, or gives you worse scores if you don't use the 'optional' multiplayer (helloooo Mass Effect 3)... these are all rather clear indicators that this is a game not really meant to play offline. Offline function might have been implemented here - but not actually considered.
  • also, if only the factually plugged out internet cable establishes that you REALLY don't want to play online, that is super sneaky. Not too many people would actually do that while still they might prefer to not connect to any server during play. That's why I plead for that prominent "don't connect" button with a clearly communicated "it's toggled on/off" in the start menu.

• trentjaspar likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#73 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 13:00

From what Ragnar's saying and what we've seen in the (little) previews so far, I very much doubt that there'd be any kind of prompt or nag if the internet connection was disabled - this isn't ME3.

I'm not actually sure what you're saying for your second point . What is super sneaky? :wacko: :blink:

#74 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 13:05

What is super sneaky?

Short version: Games that are playable offline but will still always search for and use your internet connection when it's active - without asking first.

this isn't ME3

What now, no literal deus ex machina at the end of Chapters, complemented by a few additional huge plot holes supplied via DLC? I am SO disappointed. ;)
  • DiskJunky likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#75 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 13:20

Short version: Games that are playable offline but will still always search for and use your internet connection when it's active - without asking first.

Speaking as a developer, this seems to me to be perfectly valid and no different from leveraging a graphics card - if one is present. Any program should be flexible enough to use the resources available to it. Now in the case of an internet connection, absolutely, the option to turn it off should be respected. The logic should effectively be (CheckForConnection() -> if (!ShouldCheckForConnection()) { return; }), i.e., it immediately bypasses any attempt to use said connection if turned off

#76 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 18 July 2014 - 15:40

I'm basically with V here-- there's nothing worse than poor user experience in a disconnected environment-- especially if you've expressly toggled off "internet mode."  [And really, ME3 gives you a lower score in single-player??]  That said, I think that RTG will do it the right way, even if it might fall slightly short of your hopes. 

For one thing, I don't have a problem with "internet-on, full social mode" being the default (here's where V cringes) because that's the way the developers intend/prefer it to be played (and frankly, gives them the most info).  As long as it can easily be toggled off in a settings/options menu-- and once it is the user experience is uncompromised-- then I think it's fair.

IMO.

• Vainamoinen and DiskJunky like this

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

#77 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 15:49

And really, ME3 gives you a lower score in single-player??

SIDENOTE: More or less, yes. It's complicated, but the wiki explains it best.

#78 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 18 July 2014 - 15:55

Eff that!  :urgh:

• Vainamoinen likes this

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

#79 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 18 July 2014 - 16:36

That really pissed me off about ME3. You can see EA's influence and attitude hit across the second two games. Having a score multiplier that stays at 50% unless you go online and play a second rate after thought of a multi player game, was shocking.

And ME2 was basically a shell you bought, and had to hang DLC on it to make it into a real game.

meh </rant>
  • Vainamoinen likes this

#80 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 18 July 2014 - 16:53

ME3 was totally fine as single player.

Really. I never play online and I had heard it would be less great. What I found was precisely the opposite: that the boost online play would give to my "readiness" stats was actually almost game-breaking in its advantages. I got full, more than required readiness with every race, every possible squadron helping the fight by playing the single-player game to its full, exploring everything, doing all the side missions. Which is exactly what I would expect from any single player game. There was nothing wrong with it at all. Much as I can rant against EA, they did this right as far as I'm concerned.

What online play gave you was multipliers that made it far too easy. Not into that at all. So this was a case, in my opinion, where being offline and not using online play at all made the game much better anyway.

Edit: Honestly, Lee, you didn't need any multipliers at all to get the full co-operation. Once I realised that I found them a pointless addition that basically allowed you to bypass a lot of the single-player campaign.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users