66 replies to this topic

#21 Pirateguybrush

Pirateguybrush

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 18:48

Throwing my hat in for 3D support too.  You can actually test how it looks on a 3d monitor using any nVidia card.  Just enable 3D Vision Discover under stereoscopic options in the nVidia control panel, and get a pair of those $2 red/cyan glasses from ebay.

Unity *works* in 3d, but it's not usable.  What you'll normally see out-of-the-box is a lot of "broken" shaders.  This means things rendering twice (for each eye), halos around objects, shadows at an incorrect depth, broken reflections, etc.  These things can definitely be fixed by working with the shaders, and there are a number of people over at the 3D Vision forums who are very knowledgeable in this area who might be prepared to offer some technical advice.

https://forums.gefor...d/49/3d-vision/

#22 DarkStarSword

DarkStarSword

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:29

I'd definitely appreciate native stereo 3D support for this game - it's such a simple concept that just adds so much immersion to gaming. Seems to me that it would be far more suited to this game than the rift, given that this is going to be a 3rd person game.

I've actully been looking at fixing a couple of Unity games for stereo 3D recently, but Unity makes things a bit tricky for the community to add support after the fact (no shader headers means a hell of a lot of guess work) - it would be much better to just add native 3D support out of the box.

#23 OldDarth

OldDarth

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 18:02

Another vote for native 3D support.  These type of games - and the Batman Arkham Asylum, the recent Tomb Raider, Uncharted 3 - adventure games are soooo much more immersive in 3D! 

Wish I could this game to work with Tridef in 3D again.  It did at one point but I think moving to Windows 8 broke it.   :(

Prefer Tridef to Nividia because it allows for 3D at 1080p instead of 720p.

If anyone has it working on Windows 8.1 at 1080p with Tridef be most grateful if you could share your settings!

The dream never dies.

#24 4everAwake

4everAwake

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:50

I'm glad to hear that there will be stereo 3D support for this game.  I know it won't be implemented yet. But I'm willing to wait. Hopefully Book 2 isn't too far out. 

#25 Pirateguybrush

Pirateguybrush

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 15:42

Looks like it doesn't work, because of the way you've set up full screen mode.  For 3D Vision to activate, it needs to be running an application in true full screen mode.  From what I can tell, you're rendering to a borderless window, and using some kind of wizardry to upscale the image to the window when it's below screen resolution.  This is fine for most people (and I'm guessing maybe done to avoid issues with alt tabbing), but for 3D to work we're going to need a proper full screen mode.  Would this be as simple as adding a switch between fullscreen, windowed, and borderless windowed?

#26 BlackShark

BlackShark

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 16:50

Hello,

I'm following the game quietly, I've never posted in the forums, I've registered specifically for this thread.

As a 3D enthusiast, I would like to thank the devs for their interest in stereoscopic 3D, and I'm looking forward to play the game in glorious 3D.

My 3D display is a custom made dual-projector system. It's an unusual system since it requires to send the left and right eye view to a separate dedicated projector.

The simplest way to support it just to make sure the game runs well with Tridef. (Tridef supports this system).

If you want to deal with the full stereoscopic rendering, then there are two ways you can output :

-With AMD : you can do side by side full ratio. It's similar to the side-by-side format for 3DTVs except you do not squash the pictures into a 16:9 frame (you keep the full resolution left and right pictures and just stack them horizontally in a 3840x1080 full screen output, outputs are then split using AMD Eyefinity)

-With both AMD and Nvidia : output to their respective driver ouputs (NVidia 3D vision API and AMD HD3D API), there are adapters that can split the 120Hz signal into two separate streams.

#27 Pirateguybrush

Pirateguybrush

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 17:20

I've found that by adding the game to any one of a number of nVidia game profiles using nVidia inspector, 3d will activate.  Unfortunately, there are a number of very broken shaders.  Using a tool called Helix Mod, DarkStarSword has been able to step through and start identifying the culprits.

You can check out a couple of spoiler-free screenshots at the link below.  They're in side-by-side mode, so you don't need glasses to see them - and you'll have no trouble picking out at least a few of the issues I'm talking about.

http://imgur.com/a/3JBac

#28 OldDarth

OldDarth

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 17:22

Yeah right now NVidia 3D doesn't work and at and I tried several profiles with TriDef and while it was in 3D there is some weird artifacting present ie some of the visuals of objects are on different planes. It's almost like three dimensional matte lines. 

The dream never dies.

#29 Pirateguybrush

Pirateguybrush

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 17:55

Tridef are pretty good at fixing things themselves, if you put in a support request.

#30 OldDarth

OldDarth

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 22:16

Tridef are pretty good at fixing things themselves, if you put in a support request.

They use to be, they've recently dropped support.  I've put in a plea to fellow forum members over at Tridef for a profile.

The dream never dies.

#31 BlackShark

BlackShark

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 22:27

I have tried running the game using Tridef, as usual the best result is to run the default profile (which has a profile menu you can tweak, unlike the other preset profiles which are locked).

Since fullscreen mode isn't really a true exclusive fullscreen mode, HD3D and custom resolutions don't kick in, side by side works though.

I have only played a couple scenes yet.

Here are my settings

Performance > power 3D > off (real 3D here, power3D is broken in this game anyways)

Performance > 3D texture copy > diabled

Profile > 3D object detection > shader analyser > ticked

That's about it, nothing else has any effect.

The game looks good most of the time, but shadow glitches appear very often.

Graphics glitches :

-on the game's main menu, the light rays appear at the wrong depth.

-projected shadows are off, some scenes are worse than others. the 3D scene settings (ratio between depth and pop-out) appears to scale the shadows. You can reduce it by an acceptable amount if you set the game far into pop-out.

-water reflections are broken (intro sequence, haven't seen further in the game)

-weird lens flare glitch when a light source touches the edge of the screen

Gameplay glitch : the entire interface is at screen depth (it's a simple 2D HUD), it doesn't project in depth near the objects over which you put your mouse cursor.

Framerate is really bad and it appears that setting the game to low quaity or awesome has zero effect (Tridef's famous CPU bottlenecks)

#32 Pirateguybrush

Pirateguybrush

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:42

Here's a possible fix for Tridef.  This won't work for nVidia 3D Vision users, unfortunately.

https://www.tridef.c....php?f=9&t=4865

• khh likes this

#33 BlackShark

BlackShark

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 00:06

That tridef profile is actually for the previous game (Dreamfall : the longest journey).

There is no official profile for Dreamfall chapters, you have to create your own.

#34 Pirateguybrush

Pirateguybrush

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:04

Some of the people on the 3D Vision forums are developing a fix for 3D, some assistance from RTG might make things easier.  They've already got it looking good, but it breaks when the fov changes (camera zooms).  It sounds like they need to be able to extract the FOV information, which is stored in the camera's projection matrix, if I'm understanding correctly.

https://forums.gefor...mfall-chapters/

• Edreamer Jamil and khh like this

#35 Pirateguybrush

Pirateguybrush

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 19:12

Here's a 3D screenshot, if anyone wants to take a look.  Cross your eyes to view it (you may need to sit back from your monitor or scale down the image size to comfortably do this).  It's not fully working yet (fov changes cause lights/shadows to lift away from surfaces and break), but it definitely looks great.  I can't embed it for some reason, but it can be seen here.

https://forums.gefor...344626/#4344626

• wandrew likes this

#36 DarkStarSword

DarkStarSword

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:12

Phew! I've managed to fix everything except for the volumetric light shafts - I found a way to overcome the FOV issue to fix the shadows properly :)

You can get the fix + instructions here:

http://helixmod.blog...l-chapters.html

• khh and Mythril like this

#37 Etreal

Etreal

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 November 2014 - 18:08

The great thing with doing episodes, is that we can now line up another FOUR cliffhangers before we have to actually resolve things.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!

Well.

Uh.

You guys are just pure evil aren't you?

• Edreamer Jamil and khh like this

"There are only two things that are worse than an empty canvas: death and taxes."

#38 Mythril

Mythril

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 21:59

Phew! I've managed to fix everything except for the volumetric light shafts - I found a way to overcome the FOV issue to fix the shadows properly :)

You can get the fix + instructions here:

http://helixmod.blog...l-chapters.html

Awesome! I got discouraged from playing when the game first came out because of the graphical glitches in 3DVision, and I never got around to try the game again before now. Glad that you managed to fix it! :)

#39 Mythril

Mythril

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 23:12

Hmm, just tried Book 2 with 3D Vision, but the lighting/shadow glitches seem to be back. I guess the patch needs to be updated to work properly for Book 2...? :/

#40 Mythril

Mythril

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 20:26

The patch was updated, awesome! Same URL as the original patch: http://helixmod.blog...l-chapters.html

Haven't had time to try it yet, but glad to see that it is out.

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users