95 replies to this topic

#81 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:14

Actually if Erika ever does a steam of LiS, one of the things I'd be looking forwards to was your comments and the thoughts you'd have on the art, game design, and so on.

I'll be there. :)
  • khh, Indrid Cold and Future Markus like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#82 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 08 July 2016 - 13:26

I haven't played LiS, I keep meaning to give it a go. Everyone here seems to like it, so it must be worth my time.

Not quite sure why anyone would think it would be a fair comparison to DFC anyway. LiS is basically a 'fake' indie game. Its a big budget production made to look indie. I have no issue with that other than it seems to create unrealistic expectations for real lower budget indie games.

• Vainamoinen, popcorngal, Dmm and 3 others like this

#83 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 08 July 2016 - 16:38

It all depends on how you view it. If you view it like "pitting them agaibst each other" then no: it doesn't make sense and it should be avoided.

When I was in art school we usually put all our artwork on the wall and everybody could give their opinion on anything. There were sophomore students and seniors as well but the spirit was construcive criticism and not "who's yo daddy" ;)

It's difficult to stay unbiased.

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#84 Sophia

Sophia

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:28

I think the graphics were marvellous, overall. The only nitpick I have is that book 5 seemed a bit... unfinished, animation wise. As a friend of mine pointed out, facial expressions were less frequent and some actions were not animated at all - he used the example of

Spoiler
where he remained completely rigid all the way. But as I said that is mere nitpicking, overall I am thoroughly impressed and satisfied, graphics wise. My main gripes were mostly story related and covered elsewhere :)

Latest blog post: s.png?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.feedburner.

#85 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:21

Spoiler
where he remained completely rigid all the way. 

Although in general I agree the animations are a bit lacking here and there, I think you specific example has a reason to be. Kian is not actively climbing because he released a counterweight and the chain moves upwards by itself.

EDIT: and yet I've just seen a let's-play for reference and what you say is still true. Even if Kian is just holding onto the chain, there is no animation and it looks unnatural.

Edited by the red of the kin, 10 July 2016 - 08:26.

• Sophia likes this

#86 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2091 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 July 2016 - 17:45

In book 5, an animation of the potion vial contents leaving the bottle and entering Kian would be nice. Now we see the vial tilting and Kian rather passively drinking, but no fluid pouring from the vial. Even if the potion is translucent, it should be visible when pouring out of the vial.

Here:

http://youtu.be/2KZtqcXb638?t=33m58s

#87 linkgoron

linkgoron

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:03

I did not read the thread, only the OP.

I want to say that while I'm not 100% happy with DFC, Life Is strange is really overrated and boring IMO (I lost interest after the 3rd chapter, and forced myself to finish even that).
DFC is easily a better game IMO.

• Speak&Spell likes this

#88 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 13:45

I did not read the thread, only the OP.

I want to say that while I'm not 100% happy with DFC, Life Is strange is really overrated and boring IMO (I lost interest after the 3rd chapter, and forced myself to finish even that).
DFC is easily a better game IMO.

You may not have read the entire thread, but you anticipated the path it has taken nicely anyway. :)

• Future Markus likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#89 Snø

Snø

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 00:50

I've nothing new to add, really... But still... Since LiS has been getting so much praise in this thread, I just wanted to mention that I found DF:C's ending far more satisfying than the ending of LiS. I really liked LiS up until the final episode. I still like the game as a whole, but I found it hard to take parts of episode 5 seriously. I didn't love DF:C Book 5 as much as I hoped I would, but, personally, I felt it tied up (most of) the loose ends and provided some much needed closure. -Without weird nightmare sequences.

I do like them both, though! 

#90 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:24

While it's been so long since I last visited America and I can't (nore couldn't back when I lived there) speak for all Americans...I see lots of people against Trump.
I think what's happening is, as usual, big multinationals are controlling mass-media communications and putting on the government who they want.

Actually, this time, mass-media communications wanted anybody but Trump for president for at least the first 4 months he was there... all the republican were against him too in fact...

so it's quite weird what is happening there...

#91 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:21

(...) Since LiS has been getting so much praise in this thread (...)

Life is Strange has maaaany flaws, in my opinions, one of which is the whole story behind it. I never was a fan of the "who killed Laura Palmer" kind of thing and I quickly got bored of Chloe's character which in my opinion is massively stereotyped...Max does her share of stereotyping too but..heh..little better. And the villain..
Nevermind: going off topic here but I just wanted to counter-weight what I've previously said ;-)

• Snø likes this

#92 Laura

Laura

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:17

You are definitely not the only one, but I'm sorry to say I'm getting a bit tired of the constant comparisons of this game to Life is Strange. To me, you cannot compare a game made with the ambition of DFC to a fun, well-made, but completely contained game like Life is Strange. DFC is full of political intrigue, in both a Sci-fi and Fantasy setting, creative characters and story elements, and numerous important decisions. I thoroughly enjoyed Life is Strange, don't get me wrong, but it does not compare to the ambition and world-creation of DFC, especially when you take into account the fact that DFC accomplished many of its ambitions with a much smaller team/studio/distribution. Besides, Life is Strange didn't really take your decisions into account much more than DFC does, so I don't understand how that is a comparison. If you want what you do to matter a lot, look towards Bioware, not Dontnod (I have played the other Dontnod game, Remember Me, I really enjoyed that one too but it has even fewer choices). :)

#93 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:25

You know what? I'm sick of this comparison too. I tried to steer it only towards the graphics/aesthetic field but I see people are just incapable of looking at only one aspect of a videogame.
And I knew I was asking too much to begin with, so I'll just leave this thread alone.

#94 johnny_gamble

johnny_gamble

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:28

Please be articulate, constructive and respectful with your feedback. What don't you like about the game and why? Clearly you don't like the fact that the game is not Life is Strange, but that's not a reason to tell the team that you are so disappointed with the game that you hope they never make another one in the IP. Personally, I love both games. There are obviously some things that are wrong with both. Neither is perfect; nothing is. But pointing out the fact that Dreamfall Chapters is not Life is Strange could not even remotely be considered feedback, let alone mature, articulate, constructive criticism. You're not just shouting into a void; we, and indeed, the team who sacrificed so much to create this game, can hear you.

Agreed, no point just saying 'I was disappointed' when there's multiple endings and multiple layers to the ending. Also, to be articulate, I think one would need to include spoilers?

Also, this guy has been waiting all this time but only just registered? When I backed the kickstarter I'd just been through a messy divorce, was sleeping on couches and handed over pretty well all the money I had in the world. I lived off biscuits/lollies from work morning teas for a month because of my contribution. Was it worth the wait and pain? HELL YEAH!!

Personally, I was really impressed by how it all ended. When I get a faster computer and a bit more time I'll definitely re-play the whole game from start to finish a number of times. Finishing it once isn't enough, because it's such a deep story. Really well executed IMO!
  • Speak&Spell likes this

#95 Speak&Spell

Speak&Spell

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSoul-land

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:43

^^ "Finishing it once isn't enough".

I was so pleased to replay Book 1 with the reworked beginning. What an intro. Book 1 is so open for ideas to what might happen later. This is not a "closed story" although you know the ending. :) So many things to explore deeper when you have finished, and you definitely have to replay all again. This is a massive game.

• johnny_gamble likes this

Always think twice when you hear "news" from unconfirmed sources.

#96 Future Markus

Future Markus

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:18

giphy.gif

AEiYrd0.gif

• agirlnamedbob and bongboy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users