Photo

The Longest Journey Home (Book 5 Spoilers)

dreams balance

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Erasculio

Erasculio

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 00:50

So, Mister Ragnar Tørnquist has said that “The Longest Journey Home will probably never happen. At least not for a long, long time”.

The thing is, for those who have been waiting 17 years since the release of the first The Longest Journey, waiting a long, long time is normal now. I hope we will one day see The Longest Journey Home.

Dreamfall and Dreamfall Chapters were mostly Zoe's story, both with the same style of gameplay and about the same things - the Dream and the Undreaming, mostly. April's story has always been different, not only in style but also in substance - she was the champion of Balance, not of dreams. And thus we have a story for April to follow.

Based on where we left at Dreamfall Chapters, it feels like The Longest Journey Home would be about April's soul travelling back with Crow, shedding her anger and sadness and frustration, and ending with her purified soul being reborn as Saga and as the new White Dragon. But I don't think that would work as a game - maybe as a prologue, but honestly I wouldn't like to linger on the Dreamfall's April too much.

Instead, I think The Longest Journey Home could be about the Balance - about the reunification of the worlds, as seen from the point of view of the new White Dragon, basically April reborn (with her full personality and memories, unlike Saga, who is her own person). The "journey home" would be, then, not to Stark, but to a world where both Stark and Arcadia were united.

I would love to see that. Even if it takes more 17 years to happen.

(I have to tip my hat to Red Thread Games for how they showed April in Dreamfall Chapters book 5. Many characters have somewhat ugly models - not that the characters are ugly, but their models are odd, artificial. For example, Vamon and Sahya look very, very weird, as does Utana. But April, in book 5, looks incredibly beautiful in both her scenes, as if she were from a different game. I would kill for a remaster of the original The Longest Journey with improved graphics such as this - keeping, of course, the same point and click interface, instead of the Dreamfall gameplay.)

• yunku2002, Pawlo_86, LoCortes and 2 others like this

#2 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:27

According to Ragnar outline for TLJH (which is already written) is set before TLJ, between TLJ and Dreamfall and after Dreamfall Chapters.
  • bongboy, yunku2002, Mystic and 1 other like this

#3 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:46

I would love to see that. Even if it takes more 17 years to happen.

In 17 years the continuing availability of voice actors would be questionable at best.

• bongboy and Starseeker like this

#4 Erasculio

Erasculio

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 23:44

According to Ragnar outline for TLJH (which is already written) is set before TLJ, between TLJ and Dreamfall and after Dreamfall Chapters.

Ah, so it's already written? Great! Hopefully that makes it more likely that we will see that story being told one day.

In 17 years the continuing availability of voice actors would be questionable at best.

Honestly, it wouldn't bother me if they went with different voice actors when the current ones retire. As long as the new ones are as talented as the current ones, which would require outstanding work.

• Indrid Cold likes this

#5 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 00:16

Honestly, it wouldn't bother me if they went with different voice actors when the current ones retire.

No Sarah Hamilton, no April. She is irreplaceable. It wouldn't be accepted like the Zoe voice actor being changed.

• Nancy Brown likes this

#6 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1307 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:21

Ah, so it's already written? Great! Hopefully that makes it more likely that we will see that story being told one day.

Not quite.  Ragnar said he has an outline for it, but that's not at all the same thing as being entirely written. (Apologies for the lousy formatting of the quote below.)

http://redthreadgame...hread/?p=128686

"Ragnar, on 11 Jun 2016 - 09:47, said:

TLJH was supposed to take place after the end of TLJ, and before Dreamfall, but with bits and pieces taking place both before AND after that.

It's complicated, since it was designed to cover a lot of events over a lot of years, tying up some of the loose threads that are still left hanging — even after the end of Chapters.

The outline of the story exists, and I might share it with you guys some day…"

#7 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:33

I could accept it.

While I agree Sarah would be ideal, and it adds value to the experience. A voice actress who took great pains to recapture what Sara had, and to faithfully mimic her would be fine with me. Characters like Mickey Mouse have been through 8 voice actors. Other Disney characters who originated as early as the 1930s have been faithfully reacted in modern portrayals. 

Zoe in Chapters didn't sound ANYTHING like she did in Dreamfall. The voice actress wasn't even trying to recapture the same voice. 

It's not the same thing as say trying to recast Indiana Jones or Luke Skywalker... If a talented voice actor is to portray the character, the main goal and desire is that voice actor performs their role so well that you can't tell them apart.  This is very possible for a talented voice actor, actress... 

Although, it's not always perfect, 100 percent. If Sarah can't voice her part anymore then it's only fair if a very talented voice actress who can recapture her character, voice, be cast to play her role. That's not stepping on any one's toes, that's an honor, and whether or not that actress is thought to do her job well or not will be decided if that voice actress comes closely as possible to the original voice. This happens all the time for various reasons. The actor/ actress dies... or is no longer able to do the part their self so a talented actor/ actress steps in to try to fill their shoes...

It will happen many more times, for many other roles... Sarah created her interpretation of April and any one who would be tasked with voicing her would too have to try to remain true and authentic to that interpretation... just like everyone does the same for most re voiced parts... except for Zoe... which basically said F It...

That was an apparent choice made by the creators of the game. 

• Starseeker and Erasculio like this

#8 locarno

locarno

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 13:20

Look at this. They said that they make TLJH even if they don't reach 2.000.000$ goal. This page actually doesn't exist. It is from webarchive.org.

Spoiler

And some time ago Ragnar said that TLJH won't happen. It is sad :(.

I thought that they will create this game in the future (5-10 years). But now nothing is confirmed. So we may never see this game.

#9 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 21:11

I think the reason it may not be made is that a lot of its story ended up being told in Chapters because Chapters became a lot more massive than originally anticipated, thus rendering it obsolete. Particularly the Epilogue with Lady A - That was probably always supposed to be the way the whole series ended.

I would be okay if this was the case. I just want to know that we've gotten the whole story either way. And if they do ever decide to make it, I truly would not expect production to even start until over ten years from now. They spent four years on Chapters and they're exhausted from that universe. They have other stories they want to tell first.

• khh, mrKnask and locarno like this

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#10 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 21:34

I think the reason it may not be made is that a lot of its story ended up being told in Chapters because Chapters became a lot more massive than originally anticipated, thus rendering it obsolete. Particularly the Epilogue with Lady A - That was probably always supposed to be the way the whole series ended.

For that reason it's been mentioned before that if there was ever to be another TLJ game, it would be better to just bin TLJH and move to the war of the balance, of which we know nothing about other than it must in some way must involve April in some form (as mentioned in the original TLJ by LA).
  • MisterMetropolis and locarno like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dreams, balance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users