• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 15:05

I'm 28, don't look for closure, not here anyways... people have given up on that or accepted things the way they are. Don't even bother asking for closure, least of all from this forum. Most people genuinely seem to be ok with the ending we got even if they found it to be disappointing or lack luster...

We are  not owed any closure and probably won't get any. 

That's basically the mind set here. 

#22 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 July 2016 - 16:30

Okay, Yoda, I have gathered from your many posts on the subject that you clearly have a number of issues with the ending of Chapters and/or Chapters as a whole, particularly re: it's treatment of April. ...And that's fine. You most definitely aren't the only one. I think it's totally valid to feel that way. And I get why people do.

But I'd appreciate you not paint the entire community with a broad brush. You don't have to look terribly hard to see that you're not the only person who feels similarly. ...Quite a few people have even agreed with some of your posts. ...Others haven't. But that's the way of things. This place isn't a hive mind. We don't have a collective mindset. Speaking like we do just draws an arbitrary line in the sand and creates a weird us vs. them thing that really isn't conducive to good discussion that allows for nuance.

• Vainamoinen, khh, Indrid Cold and 5 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#23 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 16:39

doodo yoda, just like six years ago with the Michael J. thing that sent you into a similar frenzy, maybe it's time for you to just let the issue go. It may resolve itself in the future, but you just can't make it do that. :)

• yodagreen3 likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#24 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 06 July 2016 - 16:45

For the record, I agree with a lot of what yodagreen3 has to say regarding the complete lack of closure about April, but I've chosen to remain (mostly) silent, for a few reasons. In no particular order:

1. I realize that complaining about it isn't going to change it.

2. I don't want to add fuel to the fire.

3. We might still get the basic outline of TLJH at some point.

4. I have a history of putting my foot in my mouth in a really bad way.

• yodagreen3 likes this

#25 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 July 2016 - 16:51

Personally, I've got some mixed feels about a lot of this stuff and the end of the series. It's been a huge part of my life for the last few years (not that it wasn't before that, but especially after the Kickstarter). So, to the topic of the thread, I really don't know how to find my "new normal" now that it's over. It's a weird feeling. I know I'll get there, but... yeah. For right now? Weird. 

There are a lot of things I wouldn't mind discussing about the various nitty gritty plot points, but like... ...while I absolutely appreciate, respect, and understand the high emotions on both ends of the spectrum here, sitting in the middle of that gets really emotionally exhausting for me very quickly. So I've been waiting for things to cool off a bit before trying to get into teasing out some of my more complicated feelings.

• Indrid Cold, bongboy, LoCortes and 2 others like this

#26 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 16:59

Alright guys, I'll stay clear. I honestly didn't hate the game for what it's worth. I was just disappointed. 

Thanks for allowing me to speak my mind, you have been very allowing and open minded. Though, I should try to be considerate as well and not villainize everyone and any one who may disagree with me, that's not fair and does not entitle me to speak my own mind. You've let me speak my own mind, and I should allow others to do the same. 

I appreciate how this has been handled and I will try to find peace, happiness else where, as I'm just upsetting myself by partaking in these conversations. I will try to discuss other topics in the future, as I've already made it clear how I feel about the ending of Chapters. I'm not finding peace or happiness, closure here anyways... it's just not there and I'm not even trying to find it anymore... 

There are other things I should be doing, and there comes a time where you have to move on. I'm not being fair, and I'm absorbed into my cynicism... It would be best for me to find another way to direct that energy into something more constructive/ productive. Which I really need to do right now anyways.  :) 

Yes, many do share some disappointment with Chapters. To be fair, most people still would rate it pretty fairly as a game. I'm off then. Thank you all. I admit years of thinking about the way things panned out, would pan out makes this hard for me. But I have to be considerate, fair to others... as you said you have some misgivings too.

I understand how it feels to see lots of negativity, I follow the ghost busters forums  :P  So I have some idea and I don't want to bring everyone down with me.

• bongboy, LoCortes and the red of the kin like this

#27 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 06 July 2016 - 17:01

I see a red door and I want to paint it blaaaak :(

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#28 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 17:14

Alright guys, I'll stay clear. I honestly didn't hate the game for what it's worth. I was just disappointed. 

Thanks for allowing me to speak my mind, you have been very allowing and open minded. Though, I should try to be considerate as well and not villainize everyone and any one who may disagree with me, that's not fair and does not entitle me to speak my own mind. You've let me speak my own mind, and I should allow others to do the same. 

I appreciate how this has been handled and I will try to find peace, happiness else where, as I'm just upsetting myself by partaking in these conversations. I will try to discuss other topics in the future, as I've already made it clear how I feel about the ending of Chapters. I'm not finding peace or happiness, closure here anyways... it's just not there and I'm not even trying to find it anymore... 

There are other things I should be doing, and there comes a time where you have to move on. I'm not being fair, and I'm absorbed into my cynicism... It would be best for me to find another way to direct that energy into something more constructive/ productive. Which I really need to do right now anyways.  :) 

Yes, many do share some disappointment with Chapters. To be fair, most people still would rate it pretty fairly as a game. I'm off then. Thank you all. I admit years of thinking about the way things panned out, would pan out makes this hard for me. But I have to be considerate, fair to others... as you said you have some misgivings too.

I understand how it feels to see lots of negativity, I follow the ghost busters forums  :P  So I have some idea and I don't want to bring everyone down with me.

Please try not to take it out on yourself. It's really not your fault; it's nobody's fault; it simply is. Take care of yourself, and try to stick around if you can. I appreciate your point of view.

#29 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 18:12

Yodagreen you're right and I admit I'm partially responsible for this. that is why, out of solidarity towards you and respect towards all true fans of the TLJ saga, I will too say goodbye to all the forum members.

Anybody can find me on Steam forums as oniric.sound. 

ciaoooooo ^___^ 

#30 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 July 2016 - 18:20

Whoa whoa whoa... what? 

...I'm really not sure how this turned into "leave the forums."  :huh:

Like... ...if anything, I feel like points were being made in favor of the opposite... 

• yodagreen3 and Hellegennes like this

#31 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 06 July 2016 - 18:51

Thanks for allowing me to speak my mind, .....

Yodagreen you're right and I admit I'm partially responsible for this. that is why, out of solidarity towards you and respect towards all true fans of the TLJ saga, I will too say goodbye to all the forum members.

Anybody can find me on Steam forums as oniric.sound. 

ciaoooooo ^___^ 

I think you both are making a mistake in leaving the Forum. I see the Forum like a cosmos where each member is a world. Each provides a unique and enriching experience. I sometimes feel like Saga walking the Songlines between worlds. We don't all inhabit the same world and this Forum is one of those places were we all can learn to open our minds to new things and new perceptions of old things.

• yodagreen3, Future Markus, Hellegennes and 1 other like this

#32 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 19:19

I really enjoy talking to all of you. I think they've all been very fair to us. We don't have to leave per say but I am going to stop posting in these particular subjects. We both have met really cool people here, and people have tried to be understanding of us. I think we're both very very passionate about TLJ and can't come to terms with how things ended up, but we don't have to leave entirely haha, just exercise control and I think that means staying away from certain topics that ignite our flame.

You, actually have better control over yourself than I do. :D 

I don't want to see you go, Red of Kin. There's certain topics we may avoid but I'd love to talk with you on other topics here. :D We can still contribute, I fear a bann honestly, because I can't control myself. I'm stressed right now looking for a job and I'm very passionate about TLJ I love it to pieces and I love that you share my passion. 

I love that so many people share my passion. Though, I feel that you and I are more passionate about TLJ than some other users or we have a uncommon opinion about the way things ended up, I think people genuinely enjoy your presence and comments. I just think I'm going to avoid these sort of subjects because I'm just being a sour sport. 

I LOVE Ragnar for TLJ. I admire him, I respect him. I don't think the sequels lived up to TLJ but I still respect him. 

I think you'd agree that Chapters was actually mostly good... we both know what upset us about Chapters.

I'd love to see you again and I hope you don't go the way side. I won't be posting in these threads if I can help it, but I would like to contribute to other threads, positively and to see you around again. 

I've always wanted to meet other people who loved April Ryan and TLJ as much as I did and who understood it as I did. I don't think all our posts were in vain and a waste. But, there comes a time where too much of a negative thing becomes toxic hahah...

Maybe we can be a little negative.. just not THAT negative haha... I didn't hate chapters, nor did you...

I appreciate if you need time off, to cool down. I think I might cool down too. But, man I love TLJ and I wouldn't mind  sharing that with you and others again. Maybe I just need to focus more on that here...

• Kari2 and the red of the kin like this

#33 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 19:21

AWWWW alright: but I'll stop bitching about stuff. Promised. Each member is a world but too much worlds conflicting and colliding is never good.

Can I be your friend? Let's have a slumber party! (Enu's voice)

Yoda...will you please stay too? We can bitch in private! (hehehehe > :D)

EDIT: we must be pathetic...we posted pretty much the same post in 2 minutes delay X°D

• yodagreen3 likes this

#34 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 July 2016 - 19:31

Okay... ...Well... I'm glad we seem to be not doing the leaving thing. *nod* That's good.

Though just to be clear here - I never meant to imply that people aren't allowed to or entitled to bitch about any parts of the game they do or don't like. I would never ever say that, and I don't think anyone else was implying that either. Please, feel free to complain. My vague discomfort at various points was more me musing about why I haven't been super active in some conversations as opposed to a condemnation of them. :P

I think it was more an issue of not letting upset at the game (or even at RTG for their design/narrative choices or whatever) turn into upset directed at other fans or at the community as a whole. ...If that makes sense... That's the part that I take issue with. 

TL;DR - Feel however you want to feel about the game. Just try not to project those feelings onto other people. (Which I know can be hard.) 

• yodagreen3, Future Markus and the red of the kin like this

#35 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 19:45

Okay... ...Well... I'm glad we seem to be not doing the leaving thing. *nod* That's good.

Too busy with the silly pics thread: gotta keep 'em comin' ;)

Feel however you want to feel about the game. Just try not to project those feelings onto other people. (Which I know can be hard.)

YES SIR!....madam!...YES BOB!

XD

• agirlnamedbob and Kari2 like this

#36 LoCortes

LoCortes

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSabadell, Barcelona

Posted 06 July 2016 - 23:03

35 here! And I remember Monkey island 1 and 2 as my first great adventure games... Before that I played a lot of games on my dad's amstrad PC. And i've been half of my life waiting for dreamfall chapters... I remember being years searching on the net for a sequel and when the first news appeared on some websites I was excited!
  • yodagreen3, Mr_Russ, Kari2 and 1 other like this

#37 Pekka

Pekka

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 July 2016 - 13:53

Life after Book Five? Well, I'm fairly sure I'm still alive and kicking after finishing the Book. Or at least I *think* I am. It's hard to say with absolute certainty, of course.  :P

I'm currently replaying TLJ and making really slow progress. I want to read and explore everything extra carefully, now that I know how the story will eventually end. It's something of a bittersweet experience and as I predicted in another thread, I can no longer experience the first game in the series the same way that I used to in the past - Difficultatem facit doctrina, as they say.  It's still a fantastic game though, and will probably always remain as one of my favourites.

I'm afraid it will be hard to find another adventure game that comes even close to the quality of the story and world of TLJ universe... I've played games of this genre since the 1980s, and TLJ is truly in a class of its own.

• LoCortes likes this

"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur."

- Axel Oxenstierna (1583 - 1654)

#38 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 14:24

Life after Book Five? Well, I'm fairly sure I'm still alive and kicking after finishing the Book. Or at least I *think* I am. It's hard to say with absolute certainty, of course.  :P

I'm currently replaying TLJ and making really slow progress. I want to read and explore everything extra carefully, now that I know how the story will eventually end. It's something of a bittersweet experience and as I predicted in another thread, I can no longer experience the first game in the series the same way that I used to in the past - Difficultatem facit doctrina, as they say.  It's still a fantastic game though, and will probably always remain as one of my favourites.

I'm afraid it will be hard to find another adventure game that comes even close to the quality of the story and world of TLJ universe... I've played games of this genre since the 1980s, and TLJ is truly in a class of its own.

I mostly agree with this. I completely agree with the sentiment that TLJ is truly in a class of its own, but only if you take it on its own; don't bring the dreamer cycle into it.

#39 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationGreece, Thessaloniki

Posted 07 July 2016 - 23:25

This place isn't a hive mind.

Oh, man! Really? I thought I was right this time. Dammit. Curses. Here we go again... now where could I find a forum that's a hive mind...

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#40 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationGreece, Thessaloniki

Posted 07 July 2016 - 23:28

I think you both are making a mistake in leaving the Forum. I see the Forum like a cosmos where each member is a world. Each provides a unique and enriching experience. I sometimes feel like Saga walking the Songlines between worlds. We don't all inhabit the same world and this Forum is one of those places were we all can learn to open our minds to new things and new perceptions of old things.

When I read your posts, It's like reading poetry. :)

• Kari2 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users