Photo

How did Ferdows pass through the Shift to Stark? And many more Questions!

Ferdows Shift Brain Westhouse Undreaming Saga April Ryan

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:36

Given that he's surprised by where he was and the Undreaming and that if you listen to the monks he has no idea what they were talking about, I think there's overwhelming evidence against Brian knowing anything about the Undreaming and Storytime. He probably just expected to appear in that "Arcadia" world.

• Dmm, Starseeker and Mystic like this

#42 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:52

At the beginning of DFC Brian says

"I am at the crossroads between waking and dream (...) The other path leads to a place of shadows"

So he knows he's going to Storytime. I don't think Arcadia could ever be defined as a "place of shadows".

It's also true he then says that he has to choose between the "known and the unknown", but Storytime is very much the definition of unknown, since it's where dreams begin and end.

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#43 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:06

"Place of shadows" could simply mean a place he knows nothing about, he can't see.

• Dmm and Mystic like this

#44 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:07

"Place of shadows" could simply mean a place he knows nothing about, he can't see.

"I am at the crossroads between waking and dream"...that is pretty obviously Storytime to me ;)

#45 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:14

"I am at the crossroads between waking and dream"...that is pretty obviously Storytime to me ;)

I think most of it is intentionally vague. "Dream" could mean that the idea of Arcadia sounds unreal.

I'm only saying that I really can't reconcile his behaviour in Storytime and after overhearing the monks with the idea that he knew what was going to happen.

• Ringtail, Riaise, Dmm and 4 others like this

#46 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 23:25

Couldn't Zoe have just used her dreaming powers to shut down the Engine instead of making Ferdows find a way to crash it? She got out of the pod that way. Lol

• the red of the kin likes this

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#47 johnny_gamble

johnny_gamble

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:38

I still think that Crow isn't reborn. Saga bring him to life. Abnaxus said that at the end of his life Crow will bond with The Girl Who Walks Between Worlds.

Is death a world, and people can walk between life/death with the right powers.

I'm gonna re-play and let it all sink in some time (information overload in the ending) but the way I see it, April and Crow are dead. Not sure why Crow and April can't meet though? I guess all will be revealed in 10 years time when Tornquist weaves his next bit of magic :D

#48 johnny_gamble

johnny_gamble

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:41

Couldn't Zoe have just used her dreaming powers to shut down the Engine instead of making Ferdows find a way to crash it? She got out of the pod that way. Lol

She needed the code to get out of the pod. Same with the machine... she'd need to know how to crash it in order to do so, which requires a heap of maths/physics.

So yeah she COULD, but doesn't have the technical ability IMO.

#49 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:30

She needed the code to get out of the pod. Same with the machine... she'd need to know how to crash it in order to do so, which requires a heap of maths/physics.

So yeah she COULD, but doesn't have the technical ability IMO.

Getting Helena Chang to do it (at gunpoint, as she was) could have been a feasible alternative. But it's great to see Wit and Feardows work together :)

#50 Sarah_Stark

Sarah_Stark

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:29

Is death a world, and people can walk between life/death with the right powers.

I'm gonna re-play and let it all sink in some time (information overload in the ending) but the way I see it, April and Crow are dead. Not sure why Crow and April can't meet though? I guess all will be revealed in 10 years time when Tornquist weaves his next bit of magic :D

I suspect the main reason April couldn't see Crow was because she didn't in TLJ when she arrived in the HOAW. 'The story has already been written'.

In addition, it'd create way too many questions when she talks to Crow again in Arcadia. Questions neither have answers to, but one Crow in theory could cause a paradox with. If he meets her in the HOAW, and becomes aware of this, the future version might decide not to appear as they'd now be preloaded with the reason why he was asked to remain hidden. This in turn might lead to the future version of Crow deciding he will hide, yet doing so will stop April asking his past-self why he was in the HOAW, which in turn means future Crow is no longer preloaded with the information, and so doesn't hide. And so the loop would go on. The paradox being of course that this loop isn't self-contained. It's a branch of two possibilities that are both trying to happen simultaneously. Or something.

As for Zoe not stopping the machine: I can't understand that, either. Sure, she might not be able to take the whole thing down, but just removing one gear would probably have sufficed in halting the thing. And where one is removed, another can follow, steadily dismantling the machine with her mind. Or something. 

• Mystic likes this

I could of course be very wrong.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ferdows, Shift, Brain Westhouse, Undreaming, Saga, April, Ryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users