#1 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1922 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 28 June 2014 - 19:05

Was there already a thread started about this?  I didn't see one, but if so, Mods feel free to merge.  Also wasn't sure this was the right place so also feel free to move.

When asked about the interactive book RTG was going to release before/when DFC comes out Ragnar asked this of us:

Yep, that's the plan! But I think everyone has a slightly different idea of what this interactive recap thingy is all about (including the team!) so we want to make sure players don't set their expectations too high.

Our main goal is to explain the story of Dreamfall (and the TLJ universe) to new players, and to bring old players up to speed on what happened previously. We want to do this in a fun and interactive way, but this is not going to be a hugely ambitious project that takes focus and resources away from Chapters. And hopefully it will be something that everyone can access, easily and quickly, on the web or in the front end of the game itself.

I'll be giving this a lot more thought in the weeks ahead, and if you guys have any input or wishes for what you'd like to see in such a recap app (recapp?) then bring it on! I can't promise to fulfil your wishes, but it never hurts to bring new ideas to the table.

A different thread would probably be preferable: this one is getting HUGE, and should remain focused on the episodic announcement.

So what moments from the previous games would you like to see?  What format do you think the interactive recap will be in?  How do you think it will be interactive? 

Post your wishlist here.

I'll go first:

I of course would love to see something from my people (Alaitiens) but of course that's only if we're in DFC otherwise it wouldn't make sense. :P

But it definitely should lists all/most of the questions left open at the end of DFC and give us some info about the balance from TLJ.

And of course it should have Crow in it.  Lots and Lots of Crow. :crow:   Oooh!  Maybe have the recap be from Crow's perspective??? :D

And of course the Kin must fall into this somehow.  And Cortez, I think he's important somehow so he should be in it somewhere.

I'm not sure about interactivity, how it would be pulled off.  To me interactive is moving the characters around and manipulating stuff, so it would just be more game, but I don't think that's in the budget. 

I do admit, I'm a sucker for the comic books that have been coming out with games that give the prelude or recap.  Not sure how to make them interactive though.  Maybe have stuff you can hover over and click on and it gives information about why it was important in the previous games?

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger
Upping the perviness factor of the Salty Seaman since 2013.

#2 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1328 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 28 June 2014 - 19:16

Being narrated by Sarah Hamilton would be about the bestest thing ever.

And how about using the murals of the Balance as a framing device? Like, use that art style, but create additional panels that fill in the events of TLJ.

And - if you wanted to have a way to point up the duality of the game setting, maybe set the DF recap in Stark -- maybe in Emma's gallery?
  • wandrew, Jecica, Teller and 6 others like this

#3 Anarkigut

Anarkigut

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 20:59

I always imagined it would be like a Visual  novel. I think it would be really cool (and smart?) if it's published for free and not attatched to the game.

#4 Jecica

Jecica

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:45

Being narrated by Sarah Hamilton would be about the bestest thing ever.

100% this.

• Ringtail, Pylons of Light and CosmicD like this

"We have seen it all, yes, and we remember. We remember because we pass the stories on, from Harbinger of the Balance to A Rubber Ducky, throughout the centuries. Do you want to hear one of our stories?
Ask us, ask. Ask about
the Pizza, the Thief and the Time..."

#5 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:32

Huh. Well, I had a post all typed up and then I apparently lost it. -_- Sad day. 

Anyway. 

Since there are so many different book-like rewards, I keep confusing them / blending them in my mind. So I keep thinking the recap is somehow going to be graphic novel-like. So I think that I, too, am picturing a visual novel. 

Narrated by Sarah would be amazing. Crow would be awesome as well. Though depending on the framing of the recap, I don't know which would work the best. 

Again, I think a visual novel would provide a good opportunity for interactivity while still properly recapping. Or even like a book with animated pictures where you can click on things and do small things to advance the story or find out more information. If it's like an interactive storybook, then it could be narrated by or otherwise presented by a character who's sort of outside of the events of the story while still being connected to it. Like Lady Alvane or the Vagabond. 

As far as delivery, I almost see having it either bundled with or directly accessible through a menu in the first Book being the smartest bet. I mean, we all want it, but it's going to be most useful to new players. 

• Chocobo_sage, Teller, Edreamer Jamil and 5 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#6 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1922 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:20

Ooh or Lady Alvane telling the story in the House of All Worlds?  Oh, Erika :ph34r: .  I didn't read her whole post before I wrote that.

• WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob, Andreas and 3 others like this

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger

#7 Abel

Abel

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 14:11

I will play at least Dreamfall before the first episode releases, but I'm still quite exited about the interactive graphic novel. There really hasn't been much information about it though and it also seems like they haven't done much work for it yet.

#8 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1922 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 29 June 2014 - 16:58

Yeah, Ragnar kind of made it sound like they haven't done any work on it, which is why we have no info on it. (see his comment in the first post)

But hey, what does it hurt to let them know what we imagine it could be? :)

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger

#9 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:45

And a tiny mention of Burns,because of the Mira connection and all.

• Teller likes this

#10 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:45

Since there are so many different book-like rewards, I keep confusing them / blending them in my mind. So I keep thinking the recap is somehow going to be graphic novel-like. So I think that I, too, am picturing a visual novel.

It's incredible, all these Kickstarter rewards and even the die hard fans can't keep them apart. ;)

The recap wasn't even a KS reward, it was a stretch goal. And the stretch goal explicitly says: "The Story so Far: Interactive Graphic Novel". So you're pretty much right there.

What I would love for the "Storytime" stretch goal to achieve would be to completely break up the Dreamfall narrative and rearrange the story fundamentals in a new way. As far as narratives go, Dreamfall proved pretty linear: apart from the skeleton framework story "Zoë tells story while being in a coma" and two rather insignificant flashbacks at beginning and end of the story, there's a strict temporal progression that may be bland to just reexperience.

What could be exciting to do is to switch perspectives and alter the temporal sequence. The recap, for example, could be told by characters the perspective of whom is as of yet not as clear to us. Think Gabriel, think Na'ane, think the White Dragon's perspective. Or, before someone else suggests it again, Crow's perspective. And then think how these limited perspectives on the same characters, told one after the other after Dreamfall's proceedings, could reveal the crucial facts of the Dreamfall story. The promised interactivity might stem from switching perspectives at will, puzzling the pieces of the story together in your very own sequence.

That might be an engaging graphic novel, I think.

• Teller, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 5 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#11 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:57

What I would love for the "Storytime" stretch goal to achieve would be to completely break up the Dreamfall narrative and rearrange the story fundamentals in a new way. As far as narratives go, Dreamfall proved pretty linear: apart from the skeleton framework story "Zoë tells story while being in a coma" and two rather insignificant flashbacks at beginning and end of the story, there's a strict temporal progression that may be bland to just reexperience.

What could be exciting to do is to switch perspectives and alter the temporal sequence. The recap, for example, could be told by characters the perspective of whom is as of yet not as clear to us. Think Gabriel, think Na'ane, think the White Dragon's perspective. Or, before someone else suggests it, Crow's perspective. And then think how these limited perspectives on the same characters, told one after the other after Dreamfall's proceedings, could reveal the crucial facts of the Dreamfall story. The promised interactivity might stem from switching perspectives at will, puzzling the pieces of the story together in your very own sequence.

That might be an engaging graphic novel, I think.

Oh, I like this. It would be a very interesting approach.

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#12 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 30 June 2014 - 14:13

I completely agree, that's a great idea.  :)

#13 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 June 2014 - 15:25

It's incredible, all these Kickstarter rewards and even the die hard fans can't keep them apart. ;)

The recap wasn't even a KS reward, it was a stretch goal. And the stretch goal explicitly says: "The Story so Far: Interactive Graphic Novel". So you're pretty much right there.

THANK YOU!

Seriously, I quick glanced through the KS page because I SWORE I read that it was a graphic novel, but I totally forgot it was a stretch goal and I was in a hurry since I was helping a friend move most of the weekend. 

I feel less crazy / confused. 

I was definitely initially picturing an animated comic book, the way I've seen some cuts scenes done in some comic inspired games and I want to say Folklore? (PS3 game...) But like... less cheesy and somehow interactive. At least when the initial announcement was made. 

And I REALLY like the points you bring up in the rest of your post. I think the challenge with something like this is to make it engaging and informative for new players, while still making it fresh and entertaining for people who have played TLJ / Dreamfall. I think your ideas would really help with that. 

• Vainamoinen likes this

#14 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 15:48

It HAD to be a stretch goal, because it was always meant to be available to everyone. And it was a silly stretch goal to begin with, because bringing those new to Dreamfall up to speed in an enjoyable way is more or less RTG's duty. How else could they ensure satisfactory sales to the previously uninitiated? ;)

I can picture this idea with most of its advantages and disadvantages right now. Different perspectives, in a graphic novel, can also mean wildly different graphic styles to reflect those different characters' personalities; and that in turn can mean that different artists may shoulder one character each, making the workload per artist considerably lighter.
  • agirlnamedbob likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#15 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1922 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 30 June 2014 - 16:52

Ooh yes, that would be cool to have the different graphic styles for the different perspectives each telling their own part of the story.  Nice.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger

#16 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3558 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 30 June 2014 - 17:33

Are you reading this, Ragnar? Please do!
  • Teller, WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob and 2 others like this

#17 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 June 2014 - 17:46

I've definitely seen other projects where they've messed around with the art style and blended different styles together to create atmosphere and mood and convey character weight and personality. That's a really neat idea and something that I, personally, would support. 

Though, I mean...again. I don't know how feasible any of this is with the time they would have to dedicate to the recap. But man. I have so much running through my head right now. 

This was one of those things that I was kind of like "meh" on during the Kickstarter because I've played the games and I'm going to replay them before I start DFC, but if some of this stuff actually gets incorporated into the final product, I'm suddenly very excited about it. 

#18 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 17:58

Though, I mean...again. I don't know how feasible any of this is with the time they would have to dedicate to the recap.

I have loads of sympathy for RTG's situation right now, but this recap was a stretch goal – and graphic novels are neither cheaply nor quickly to produce, never have been. Interactive ones, even less. I think of it primarily as a form of advertising, and as such, it must be on par with the quality RTG intends to deliver with the game. If they can not do that, it's probably better if this little stretch goal is forgotten. :sotb:

#19 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 June 2014 - 18:13

A fair point... And that's sort of the issue with stuff like this. Failing to deliver is sometimes preferable to delivering something that's subpar when it comes to these things.

Still... I'm hoping we'll hear some more about this in some of the upcoming announcements. But we'll see. Lots of balls in the air right now. Though at least going episodic will hopefully allow them to delay certain items and gives them some more time to rank importance of projects and allocate resources appropriately. 

• Vainamoinen likes this

#20 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1922 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 30 June 2014 - 18:45

Yeah, I know this is kind of important to get out before the first episode, but realistically if they at least have it by the 5th when the game is complete, it probably wouldn't be too bad.  People who have never played any of the games may not be rushing out to get the early episodes anyway.  But I don't know really how feasible it is even with that in mind.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users