6 replies to this topic

#1 Drеamer

Drеamer

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 21:41

Old saves disappear from the list when I delete them, but reappear if I reopen the 'Load' page or restart the game. Affected saves are the ones made at 1.25.2015 and older. Not reproducible with saves made starting with 3.12.2015. All saves made with most recent versions of the game at the save time.

Also it would be great to allow selection of multiple saves with ctrl/shift, especially shift, to be able to delete multiple saves at once. The list gets large and hard to manage as time passes, and it is quite time consuming to delete them one by one.

#2 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2016 - 22:03

If you're on Steam, any save files you delete will be restored by Steam sync when you restart the game.  If you want to delete saves you have to disable sync before starting the game.  There might be a similar effect with the new RTG sync but I've not managed to get signed up to that yet.

#3 Drеamer

Drеamer

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 23:02

I'm on Steam and RTG sync is on, but recent save games are not reappearing. Only the old ones. As it happens even after reentering the load menu, I doubt steam is involved. Should be something with engine version used before 3.12.2015.

#4 Drеamer

Drеamer

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 23:11

Disabled steam cloud sync, nothing changed.

#5 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 24 June 2016 - 14:58

If you have a more recent save locally than what's on our server AND you don't have a savegame locally with the same ID (name) as the one on the server, the cloud system will place that savegame locally on your computer.

If you delete that one savegame, you'll get it back immediately, yes. Our Cloud system only holds one (1) savegame at a time though, so this should only happen for that one savegame. 

It's like that simply to ensure that you at least have that one savegame that's backed up.

On the other side, if the server holds a more recent savegame than what you have locally though, you will be prompted with the Cloud Sync window asking you if you want to get the most recent progress from the server.

Manual action is needed at this point of course, so choosing the no/skip option, will not give you that savegame. :)

I hope that's understandable. It's always kind of hard to try to explain what's going on behind the scenes of some of these background systems. :)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#6 Drеamer

Drеamer

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 19:04

Morten, yep, I understand how this works. Looked at it one more time, and found out all the magically reappearing saves are the ones located at AppData\Roaming\RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters\Autosave. I guess this location is now abandoned, judging by the lack of recent saves. Files are not read-only, so my best guess is that someone forgot about this legacy path while implementing save deletion :) I have deleted the whole AppData\Roaming\RedThreadGames folder, and I am now able to delete corresponding saves from the game menu.

• khh likes this

#7 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:40

Morten, yep, I understand how this works. Looked at it one more time, and found out all the magically reappearing saves are the ones located at AppData\Roaming\RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters\Autosave. I guess this location is now abandoned, judging by the lack of recent saves. Files are not read-only, so my best guess is that someone forgot about this legacy path while implementing save deletion :) I have deleted the whole AppData\Roaming\RedThreadGames folder, and I am now able to delete corresponding saves from the game menu.

Ah yes. That might very well be.

When we changed the save location we made sure to always read savegames from the "old" location, but it might very well be that we didn't consider the same thing when deleting one of those savegames.

I'd think it would delete the in-game object when selecting "Delete", but once you re-open the savegame window, it will read from that location again and the item would pop up in the menu. :)

Removing those items (from the old location) manually should make them not reappear, if you want to do that. :)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bug, save

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users