• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan

Ryan

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:28

Game crash right after the intro videos and it just drops to the desktop without saying anything else directly without checking logs.

Tried:
*disabling second monitor
*tried the pulse audio "fixes"
*changed display managers
*changed launch options to manually set resolution
*tried launching directly and not through steam
*tried with and without controller plugged in (xbox 360 controller wire)
*really tired of trying to get this game to work...

Some console outputs jic:
uname -a:
Linux ryan-antergos 4.6.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 8 08:40:59 CEST 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
sudo lspci -v | grep VGA:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Pitcairn XT [Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Attached are the files requested by the FAQ

*Mesa version is 11 something, forgot to add while on my pc(adding right now with my phone), will clean up this part later to give the actual output

*Using the open source drivers which come with the newest Linux kernels.

The game doesn't load long enough for it to even create any meaningful settings file so there's no settings file I can mess with besides using launch options which is why I tried changing the resolution through launch options because I noticed in the log that it was trying to set a resolution over and over, and sometimes it was trying really strange resolutions like -1 and -1 ...

Another major thing, I've seen this game run, rather terribly, on a spare laptop I have but the gpu is so slow that it can barely run the main menu at the very lowest custom settings(both are AMD/ATI GPU's but desktop is much more powerful obv), so I know this game at least can get through the intro and can run on the same Linux OS (Antergos Linux based on Arch Linux) :/

Let me know if any more info is needed, thanks for any help, I really want to play this game some day...

Attached Files

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7105 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:56

As a workaround for the problem, some have found that using -force-opengl as a command line parameter can help with running the game on open source drivers. It might be worth a try.

• Ryan likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 Ryan

Ryan

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 17:23

As a workaround for the problem, some have found that using -force-opengl as a command line parameter can help with running the game on open source drivers. It might be worth a try.

Well that's nice, it runs now, just runs really slow, especially in the opening cut scene, but it runs! I'm assuming forcing OpenGL is the reason the game will run very inefficiently for now? I've got the game on low everything pretty much and it still doesn't get a decent FPS most of the time unless I'm staring at a wall close up.

edit: I Have fixed the lag issue I believe. I disabled my second monitor and it worked like a charm so far! I'll check the opening scene again since that had the worst performance initially. I'm currently running on the high setting and it runs fine, although I do see some small red/white dots in small places right now, and the camera controls with a mouse are choppy for some reason, even though the game is running smoothly. Will update soon.

• khh likes this

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 17:41

Tested it with logging directly into Steam as well as my normal DE (gnome 3) (SteamOS esq) and it ran perfectly as well, and I turn up everything else to yolo-swag settings (high everything including vsync) and it was still running smoothly at the beginning of the game! Still need to test the cut scene but I'm willing to bet it's fine. When I get more into the game I'll make sure to report anything crazy, thank you this is a fix for many people who hopefully find this post I'm sure.

Also, I'm attaching the Player.log again for when it's now working with a single monitor jic.

Attached Files

• khh likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux, crash, dreamfall, chapters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users