#1 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2279 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:01

Okay, this is driving me bat-shit crazy.  Kian and Crow are in the cellar and I have to 'sing' the four notes.  I'm pretty sure that the notes are supposed to be HMHL, but that doesn't work...neither does the 50 other combinations that I've tried.  Worse yet, once I get to the place where I sing the notes I can't do anything else, I can't move or look at inventory or talk to Crow...nothing.  So please tell me, what am I missing?

#2 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:06

Note order is here:

Spoiler

Extra info:

Spoiler

I doubled checked that is correct.

#3 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2279 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:11

Note order is here:

Spoiler

I doubled checked that is correct.

Lee, I have High note, Middle note and Low note...and they're not in a row.  I thought it was High, Middle, High, Low...  

#4 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:15

Spoiler

#5 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2279 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:20

Okay, I get to where Kian tries to sing the notes...and that's where I get stuck.  The notes just sit there and no matter how many times I try the notes nothing happens.  I can't talk to Crow, I can't move, I can't interact with anything.  I got so desperate that I checked out a walkthrough...and after Kian tries and fails, Crow is supposed to tell him about the egg...but I can't get to that point.  I just keep hitting the different notes over and over and over and over and over and it never ends or lets me do anything else...

#6 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:21

You have to get the right notes first.

I thought it was

High-Low-High-Mid?

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#7 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:23

I have it as High, Mid, High, Low

I never really thought about it, I just got it first time from how they sound.
But they are the only two combinations it could be.

Each 'try' might be in blocks of 3 notes. But since I got it first time I can't remember if there is a way to cancel and re-try.

#8 Roy

Roy

Fringe Café Regular

• Shifter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:30

I remember it as high, mid, high, low as well.

#9 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:33

Carla, try reloading from the last save checkpoint. Maybe something has gone wrong.

April Ryan is my friend,

#10 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2279 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:43

Okay, call me a dunce.  I moused over them and got the notes...didn't click on them.  My son came and suggested that and voila, it worked.  Dherrrrr!

#11 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:02

Yeah, it's rather strange, as you'll hear the note as you select it, and then immediately you sing the note when you activate. Hi-Hi Mid-Mid Hi-Hi Low-Low, and then it's played back Hi - Mid - Hi - Low ...

I think it would be better if the sound only came on activation, to be honest, not on selection. :)

At least the note puzzle is much easier this time around, compared to in Dreamfall!

• khh likes this

#12 Miral

Miral

Fringe Café Regular

• Drachkin
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:05

Yeah, it's rather strange, as you'll hear the note as you select it, and then immediately you sing the note when you activate. Hi-Hi Mid-Mid Hi-Hi Low-Low, and then it's played back Hi - Mid - Hi - Low ...

I think it would be better if the sound only came on activation, to be honest, not on selection. :)

At least the note puzzle is much easier this time around, compared to in Dreamfall!

It's like the other dialogue choices, where when you hover you get a thought about what you're going to say, then when you click you actually say it.  It's just that this time the thought is of the sound he's about to try to hum.  It's more important to hear things on hover for the next part of the puzzle.

(Also, you may notice that what he thinks he wants to hum and what he actually hums are not the same thing.  This also leads to the next part of the puzzle.)

• khh likes this

#13 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:56

It's like the other dialogue choices, where when you hover you get a thought about what you're going to say, then when you click you actually say it. It's just that this time the thought is of the sound he's about to try to hum. It's more important to hear things on hover for the next part of the puzzle.

(Also, you may notice that what he thinks he wants to hum and what he actually hums are not the same thing. This also leads to the next part of the puzzle.)

While I do notice the difference between the two, I disagree with its usability in this puzzle.

#14 gailreg

gailreg

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 14:56

Thanks did not think of clicking either. I found keys that corresponded to the notes. Pressing them was no help either.

#15 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 20 June 2016 - 15:12

To be fair, it would be pretty hard to do it worse.

In DF the stupid music plays only once and seeminlgy at random pretty far away from where you need to use, so most people completely miss it and then go, uhhh... music, what music?

That said, I don't see a reason why you can't ask Crow to repeat the music as many times as you need.

• Mr Moo likes this

Chaos! Panic! Disorder! My work is done here!

#16 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 20:35

I had a different problem there. I got to the part with the runes, and got it wrong the first time. Then I tried what I know is the correct sequence, but it didn't work. I tried other stuff before trying it again and then it did work.

I don't know what actually resets the puzzle.

• Ringtail likes this

#17 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1327 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 20 June 2016 - 20:47

I had a different problem there. I got to the part with the runes, and got it wrong the first time. Then I tried what I know is the correct sequence, but it didn't work. I tried other stuff before trying it again and then it did work.

I don't know what actually resets the puzzle.

I experienced this, too.

#18 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 June 2016 - 20:52

Come to think of it I believe I also input the correct sequence without it working once, only to have it work when I tried it again sometime later.

April Ryan is my friend,

#19 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 June 2016 - 22:17

Same thing happened to me. I put it in correctly. Then second guessed that I had the mid and low notes reversed. Tried both versions. Still nothing. Then just started clicking trying to figure out if I was wrong about which notes were which and eventually it worked. 

I figured it was just me being dumb, but maybe there's a bug here. Or something. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#20 Miral

Miral

Fringe Café Regular

• Drachkin
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 June 2016 - 22:53

I'm pretty sure the glyphs are timing sensitive.  You have to pause for a bit after selecting the wrong notes, and then enter the correct notes within a specific timeframe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users