30 replies to this topic

#21 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 14:22

Some of them are just for different kinds of games.

Or mixtures. :)

We're putting the adventure into RPGs.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#22 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 21 June 2016 - 19:43

Uh, I wouldn't call DFC or DF:TLJ RPG games, sure, they're played from a over-the-shoulder-ish perspective like most RPGs, but there's no character progression directed by you, and you don't really decide who and what the characters are. Even the actions you can do with them are framed by who and what they are, you're not free to do whatever you want (within the constrains of a video game, of course).

I'd say DFC is absolutely 100% a classical adventure game, just with a different presentation. A presentation that, by the way, was impossible to do in the TLJ days.

Chaos! Panic! Disorder! My work is done here!

#23 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 June 2016 - 19:50

I don't think anyone was implying that DFC was an RPG (though I may have misunderstood). At least not here. The C&C elements are reminiscent of some RPGs, sure, but it's still an adventure game. 

We're looking forward at RTG's next projects, since it doesn't look like they're returning to this particular universe. Draugen is up next, which is a horror game, and after that we've gotten a very vague tease for a project with the working title Codename: Svalbard, which is an RPG. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#24 midix

midix

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:49

For those who would like to feel at least some kind of remote continuation or relation to one of the Dreamfalls central ideas - shaping the reality through dreaming - I suggest the book (and also the movie) "The lathe of heaven" by Ursula K. Le Guin. Somehow this book really associates with DFC / TLJ, at least for me.

Although the idea is old as the world - hindu Maya, Albert Einstein with his "Reality is merely an illusion albeit a very persistent one", Carl Gustav Jung with his "collective unconscious" ideas and also "the dreamer" of more modern days - Stephen LaBerge. I found his books at my teenager years when I started having spontaneous lucid dreams and I thought I was going crazy. But it turned out that it's completely normal to be able to control your dreams and many can learn it.

And sometimes it seems that dreams have to do much more with the waking reality than we would think  :)

#25 rcenters

rcenters

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:25

Logged in to post something like this and saw a post already.

So, my understanding is that part of RTG's problem is they didn't meet every single Kickstarter goal.   I don't know that that's the problem they think it is.  I'm ready to fund another Kickstarter for another set of Chapters.

#26 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:49

For those who would like to feel at least some kind of remote continuation or relation to one of the Dreamfalls central ideas - shaping the reality through dreaming - I suggest the book (and also the movie) "The lathe of heaven" by Ursula K. Le Guin. Somehow this book really associates with DFC / TLJ, at least for me.

(big spoilers for the end of Dreamfall Chapters)

Spoiler

I couldn't help thinking of Haber in The Lathe of Heaven.  One of my favorite books by the way.

#27 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2419 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:14

So, my understanding is that part of RTG's problem is they didn't meet every single Kickstarter goal.   I don't know that that's the problem they think it is.  I'm ready to fund another Kickstarter for another set of Chapters.

I don't think that is the main reason. Even the Longest Journey Home stretch goal in the Kickstarter campaign did not cover the full game, only its pre-production:

With the $2 million, however, we can begin writing, designing and creating concepts and background art for TLJH in preparation for full production. In other words, we will be greenlighting pre-production on the 2D sequel to The Longest Journey, making sure everything is in place for when we have the capacity to move forward with the game.

(link)

So even if the goal had been met, the game might still not happen later on. Ragnar has said there were several reasons, but has not gone into the details. But I would not think this would be the main one.

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#28 Vincy85

Vincy85

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRignano Flaminio(RM)

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:50

I want to know what is the Collapse, i'm waiting TLJH to explain this event but if this game won't be release i will die with the doubt lol

#29 Kokiden

Kokiden

Fringe Café Regular

• Shifter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:33

I always questioned the need for sequels in other games/genre.  I know they can sell at a bigger price but if there's no advancement in tech/engine then why not just keep adding more chapter/expansions/dlc that you can sell?

I would like to see RTG branch out and try new things.  Their big thing is telling good stories but they should explore different mediums for that.  Like a war of the balance game seems like a good strategy game

Formerly known as Rookie1

#30 LoCortes

LoCortes

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSabadell, Barcelona

Posted 14 July 2016 - 18:57

I agree that another kickstarter would allow them to gather again the same amount ir even more money than the previous time. Actually, I think that nowadays everybody knows about crowfunding, on the time of the project little people knew on Spain (for example) so... With all the quite happy fans and a proper marketing they would hit an even higher number.

But... I think that now the thing is they want to change and do other stuff.

#31 Turin231

Turin231

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 00:22

I want to know what is the Collapse, i'm waiting TLJH to explain this event but if this game won't be release i will die with the doubt lol

The Collapse was what happened after the events of the first game (The Longest Journey) as a consequence of the events that occurred in the end of that game. 

I always questioned the need for sequels in other games/genre.  I know they can sell at a bigger price but if there's no advancement in tech/engine then why not just keep adding more chapter/expansions/dlc that you can sell?

I would like to see RTG branch out and try new things.  Their big thing is telling good stories but they should explore different mediums for that.  Like a war of the balance game seems like a good strategy game

The issue is that the last game was planned long ago. Even had a name : The longest journey: home. It was even a stretch goal on the chapters kickstarter and lore-wise it was foreshadowed from the first game as the story of the world unifying again. Many people were waiting for that conclusion. Although the creator should always have the last say on such things. And still Chapters ended brilliantly. Not a bad conclusion to the series if it ends up being the last game.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: KIan Alvane, April Ryan, Zoe Castillo, Saga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users