Some other developers with the same issue have said that they've not seen this issue after building with Unity 5.4.
The patch due in October, mentioned in the last Kickstarter update, will most likely be built with Unity 5.4, and we will know then if U5.4 in fact resolves the issue.
However, we cannot be 100% sure, as Unity has not found the cause of the issue themselves and we have never seen the issue in internal testing. Meaning we can't internally reproduce it/verify it being resolved. We'll just have to wait and see.
If the October patch for some reason cannot be released using Unity 5.4, I'll try to push for adding a 5.4 version on the Steam beta branch, so that we can get feedback from players willing to help test if the updated Unity version in fact resolves the issue.
I'm sorry that this is taking so much time, but I'm certain that you guys understand the complexity of this matter.
Thanks for your reply Morten. This sounds very promising! I look forward to the patch being released next month which hopefully resolves the issue :-)