• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 tybalt_42

tybalt_42

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:35

Disabling the Steam overlay seems to have done the trick for me, and possibly the latest tranche of bugfixes. Completed the game with no further issues. 

• Morten and khh like this

#22 Alboma

Alboma

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationBurnaby, BC, Canada

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:02

I have the same crash.mentioned, that when April and Crow are about to enter the light after Zoe left.

Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz

16 GB Ram

64-bit Windows 8.1

Edit: Like the others suggested, disable Steam In-game Overlay helps, and no more crash till the end.

Attached Files

• Morten and khh like this

#23 sornsirisk

sornsirisk

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:23

Disabling the steam overlay didn't work for me.
Still crashed at the same scene . TT TT

#24 sornsirisk

sornsirisk

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:55

I already bought new laptop and there is no crashed now. Hahaha
  • khh likes this

#25 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 July 2016 - 13:55

I already bought new laptop and there is no crashed now. Hahaha

I'm glad you're able to play, then :) Hope you enjoy the rest of the game.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#26 dodulito

dodulito

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 18:24

The game still does not work for me, sometimes the beginning loads and I can play but after a duration between 1 secund and 4 minutes the game crashes and my computer too, I can't do anything on my computer but turn it down.....the previous episodes worked perfectly before but now it is not the case anymore....heeeeeelppppp (it is still the case with the last updates).

#27 betweenthebees

betweenthebees

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 21:23

My game is crashing as well in Book 5 (chapter 12), when Kian exits the Rooster and Kitten. The game runs fine for me until then. The issue was reported a while back by another user on gog.com (where I bought the game.) That user also uploaded a video showing the exact moment when the game crashes on his system, which is the exact same moment the problem occurs on my system:

I think this other user who uploaded the video is on a PC, but I'm on Mac - running OS 10.11.5 (El Capitan), 3.2 GHz, 16GB.

Let us know when there are any updates. It's been almost 2 months  already, and I really want to finish the game. I've been playing these games since "The Longest Journey" came out 16 years ago! ;)

#28 KTB

KTB

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 21:15

Any more updates about this unity issue being fixed? I have almost given up hope of being able to finish the game ☹️

#29 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 August 2016 - 13:46

Any more updates about this unity issue being fixed? I have almost given up hope of being able to finish the game ☹️

No, there hasn't been any more news on this yet. Sorry :(

April Ryan is my friend,

#30 Lea

Lea

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:21

No, there hasn't been any more news on this yet. Sorry :(

I'm with KTB here. It has been almost two months and I'm quite fed up with the delay. I have a game I can't play that for all intents and purposes is nothing more than a paperweight. At this time I am very very wary of giving RTG any money now or in the future, because I don't want to risk this happening again with another game. Now if they pushed out a fix from Unity in the next week or so I might feel differently. And believe me you treat me right, I will be a loyal customer for years to come.

#31 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3553 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:46

I'm with KTB here. It has been almost two months and I'm quite fed up with the delay. I have a game I can't play that for all intents and purposes is nothing more than a paperweight. At this time I am very very wary of giving RTG any money now or in the future, because I don't want to risk this happening again with another game. Now if they pushed out a fix from Unity in the next week or so I might feel differently. And believe me you treat me right, I will be a loyal customer for years to come.

Well, since the problem is apparently engine related, you should be wary if getting any Unity-based game... ;)

#32 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 August 2016 - 13:55

It is very regrettable, absolutely. Unfortunately there's doesn't seem to be anything Red Thread Games can do about it at the moment. The bug is with the latest version of the Unity engine itself, and the Unity engine is closed source which means they can't fix the problem themselves. There doesn't seem to be any way of circumventing the bug either, it has to be fixed in the engine source code. The team is frustrated by the bug, and they're very sorry they haven't been able to fix the issue yet - or indeed the the issue arose at all.

Red Thread Game's next game, Draugen, has been announced to use the Unreal Engine 4, so it shouldn't be subject to these issues.

April Ryan is my friend,

#33 Lea

Lea

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:18

It is very regrettable, absolutely. Unfortunately there's doesn't seem to be anything Red Thread Games can do about it at the moment. The bug is with the latest version of the Unity engine itself, and the Unity engine is closed source which means they can't fix the problem themselves. There doesn't seem to be any way of circumventing the bug either, it has to be fixed in the engine source code. The team is frustrated by the bug, and they're very sorry they haven't been able to fix the issue yet - or indeed the the issue arose at all.

Red Thread Game's next game, Draugen, has been announced to use the Unreal Engine 4, so it shouldn't be subject to these issues.

Just so you are aware, I have seen the thread on this bug over on Unity's forums. RTG aren't even hounding Unity, haven't been since they left for vacation at the beginning of July. They have posted once since coming back from vacation and have after a week gotten no further response from Unity. That doesn't bode well for a fix.

BTW just because Draugen will use the Unreal Engine, doesn't mean squat. Their reputation is tarnished. People who have had this game breaking bug are not going to be as interested in buying another game from them regardless of who is at fault here. As a former business owner I understand how this stuff works. Reputation is everything, it can make or break a business. And right now they are hurting when their first game since RTG was founded has a game breaking bug, even if it is just for a minor subset of the community.

#34 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:57

Just so you are aware, I have seen the thread on this bug over on Unity's forums. RTG aren't even hounding Unity, haven't been since they left for vacation at the beginning of July. They have posted once since coming back from vacation and have after a week gotten no further response from Unity. That doesn't bode well for a fix.

BTW just because Draugen will use the Unreal Engine, doesn't mean squat. Their reputation is tarnished. People who have had this game breaking bug are not going to be as interested in buying another game from them regardless of who is at fault here. As a former business owner I understand how this stuff works. Reputation is everything, it can make or break a business. And right now they are hurting when their first game since RTG was founded has a game breaking bug, even if it is just for a minor subset of the community.

Do you actually expect for them to constantly post on the Unity public forum after getting no response from the Unity team? The fact that Draugen will use the Unreal engine means quite a bit. It means that it will not use the Unity engine, and therefore the bug you're experiencing will not be present. Intelligent people whom understand that this bug cannot be present due to it being a bug with the engine, not the developer, will be just as interested in buying Draugen as they would have been had the Unity team not created and then failed to fix this bug. You even admit that you know that RTG is not at fault here, and yet you ignore this fact and continue to make outlandish, hyperbolic claims that RTG's image has been tarnished by this and that people won't want to buy games from RTG in the future because of something that you acknowledge isn't RTG's fault. You also refuse to stop attacking RTG for something that you acknowledge is not their fault and cannot be fixed by them for long enough to attack in any way the guilty party, whom you know damned well are the Unity developers. You also make no mention of whether or not you would ever buy another game that uses the Unity engine, and yet you've made it quite clear that you have little to no intention of ever buying another game from RTG. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm thoroughly annoyed by you repeatedly attacking RTG for something that you acknowledge is not their fault and cannot be fixed by them, and then going on to claim that said thing that you acknowledge is not their fault and cannot be fixed by them has somehow "tarnished their image", and this will somehow stop people from buying their games. This is obnoxious, immature, factually incorrect hyperbole. Grow up.

We've been nothing but nice to you because we feel bad that you can't play the game, but after your repeated ignorant attacks against RTG for something that you acknowledge isn't their fault and can't be fixed by them, I'm done mincing words. Why don't you focus your anger towards the party you know is guilty instead of attacking the party you know is innocent?

#35 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3553 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:09

We've been nothing but nice to you because we feel bad that you can't play the game, but after your repeated ignorant attacks against RTG for something that you acknowledge isn't their fault and can't be fixed by them, I'm done mincing words. Why don't you focus your anger towards the party you know is guilty instead of attacking the party you know is innocent?

Yeah, I'm about ready to call troll on this now.

#36 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 17 August 2016 - 15:14

As mentioned before, this is something happening in the backend of the Unity engine, and not something we can fix or even something that is wrong with our own assets or code. 

For reference, the following thread is the one created by me on the Unity forums regarding the issue:

http://forum.unity3d...address.413565/

The three other threads (plus some others) linked in my first post there are the ones I'm personally following on the topic. Meaning I'll be receiving an email about every reply that comes in to those threads.

Additionally, we've been in correspondence with Unity officials over email the last couple of months regarding this issue.

Some developers also reporting this issue have stated that this it has been resolved in their games after upgrading and building with Unity v5.4. 

However, there's currently a bug in the animation system in the Unity v5.4 release causing the game to crash consistently at certain points in the game, which is why we can't release a version built with that version of Unity yet.

We're in personal correspondence with Unity regarding that issue as well. We've given them a small project that is a 100% reproduction case of the issue as well, so they'll hopefully be able to fix it soon.

Once the issue is fixed, we can release a version built with Unity 5.4, in which there's a good chance the bug you are having is also fixed.

I'm very sorry that some of our players have yet to be able to finish the game due to the random crash bug without stacktrace. It's very unfortunate, but we're trying our best to help Unity and their staff to be able to have a stable game for everyone.

As previously mentioned, the issue seems to be related to something in the Unity backend not playing nice with certain hardware compositions.

Again, I'm sorry that there haven't been much information, or tips for workarounds on this topic, but there's just not that much we can do about it.

We're working on this issue on a daily basis the past months, and we will update our community with any news and when we have a new build ready.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. :)

• Tina, agirlnamedbob, khh and 5 others like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#37 loxaxs

loxaxs

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 18:08

I also had this issue. It happened when April is about to go into the fog with Crow. After he says he's ready. I'll upload more files if it happens again.

Same problem

Processor - Graphics card - RAM - OS

Intel Core i5-4690 CPU @ 3,50GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 960

8,00 GB

Windows 10 (x64)

'File(s) too big to upload' so I zipped them.

Attached Files

#38 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3090 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 19:30

Same problem

Processor - Graphics card - RAM - OS

Intel Core i5-4690 CPU @ 3,50GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 960

8,00 GB

Windows 10 (x64)

'File(s) too big to upload' so I zipped them.

That sounds exactly like my hardware. And I didn't have any problems.

I wonder what causes Unity's problem, if not the specs. But I suppose it could be a minor model difference that makes it happen.

#39 KTB

KTB

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 20:48

Any more updates on this issue guys?

#40 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:08

Some other developers with the same issue have said that they've not seen this issue after building with Unity 5.4.

The patch due in October, mentioned in the last Kickstarter update, will most likely be built with Unity 5.4, and we will know then if U5.4 in fact resolves the issue.

However, we cannot be 100% sure, as Unity has not found the cause of the issue themselves and we have never seen the issue in internal testing. Meaning we can't internally reproduce it/verify it being resolved. We'll just have to wait and see.

If the October patch for some reason cannot be released using Unity 5.4, I'll try to push for adding a 5.4 version on the Steam beta branch, so that we can get feedback from players willing to help test if the updated Unity version in fact resolves the issue.

I'm sorry that this is taking so much time, but I'm certain that you guys understand the complexity of this matter. :)

• khh, Indrid Cold and bongboy like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users