67 replies to this topic

#1 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6117 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:12

Pick on anything you like. We can discuss it, no problem. Disagreement, as always, welcome. :)

WORK IN PROGRESS

Zoë:
*sigh of relief* Good, they didn’t kill her. I haven’t played the entirety of Book 1 again since the download and bugatastrophe, but I guess they cut the whole “you’ll meet me [Vagabond] again before the end” stuff from the first chapter because that Vagabond was a sly liar. So I guess that’s what Ragnar meant in “rewriting the ending”. Was she meant to end up in Storytime forever? And I’m not sure where Zoë ended up eventually. Have her powers to alter reality just ceased?

Kian:
I'm glad how all turned out for Kian in Chapters, especially his relationship to Likho. In retrospect, especially because Bip's rescue was eventually treated more or less off screen, his devotion to the young blue ball of chaos didn't turn out to be that credible. Much more credible was that his real future quest lies on Azadi territory – which is why fast forwarding it through Saga's revelations and the five years into the future cutscene didn't sit quite right with me.

Hami:
Hami, much more than Kian, embodies Azadi culture. Yet there's something deeply wrong with that culture when the Prophet (a foreigner to boot) gets to harvest their racist ideas. Hami was part of the culture that brought Kian to murder Likho's father. The culture that taught Kian to hate the Dolmari. One good talk between men, one spark of magic in Hami's past, and bygones all? That was a little difficult to swallow.

*NEW* Gabriel Castillo *NEW*

See? I almost forgot him, even though I really liked him in Dreamfall and was looking forward to him in Dreamfall Chapters. Besides Olivia, he was Zoë's most understanding and helpful friend in the world. Well, Olivia was killed off screen, and Gabriel got to utter a few words of apology without getting his original voice actor back. At least an interactive dialog should have been in the cards. But interactivity was somehow something RTG veered away from over time.

Mother Utana:
Remember how that one ex-member came in here with his MRA crap telling us how all the caucasian men in Chapters are always bad guys and how the foreign looking women are basically good natured heroes? Yeah. One last time, fuck that guy. Mother Utana orchestrated the death camps… the death camps. Not sure how I feel about that, and about Crow not recognizing it even though he seemed to serve as her messenger.

Onor Hileriss:
Hamfisted, certainly, poetic justice, definitely, disproportionate cruelty, maybe. But it was great to see his arc and reign ending this way. It was, so to speak, an emotional reward gained through a lot of psychological pain in the Books before.

April:
„Find her. Save her. Or get her killed – same thing”. What we’ve easily discarded as an explanation for ten years because it just sounded too darn bad was actually meant just like that. I find that very difficult to wrap my head around. Rebirth has saved April, but rebirth wasn’t Zoë’s doing. April had a spanking new character model, which I loved, but eventually only got three lines that Sarah probably recorded in early 2015. Or 2014 even. And seeing only just the Storytime echo of April and Crow wander off into adventures long in the past wasn't particularly satisfying. Deep sighs here.

Saga:
Well, Saga really is something else. And that’s to be taken literally. What is she?! Saga isn’t really a Shifter, she’s a hardcore artist-singer-alchemist Girl Friday, and despite her assertions that she’s not a writer, she’s still a strange kind of hired author – acting out, constructing and retelling stories that seem to have been written long ago by an unknown authoritative voice. It will take me quite a while to decide whether that even works as a character. But she’s fucking kickass awesome anyway, and that character model is the best in the entire TLJ saga.

Crow:
I think I stipulated – IN JEST – a theory once in which the bird seen in TLJ’s ending sequence was one of Crow’s offsprings. That… theory turned out to be true to a good solid degree, if I understood correctly. Killing off Crow was unfortunately rather cheap, rivalling the worst of Joss Whedon. How Saga got him back, we may never know, and if we do, that explanation is likely very unsatisfactory.

Hanna:
“She’s in Mumbai, but we won’t get to see her this episode anyway”. Hanna still doesn’t know where she’s coming from, and where she may go to. Her mentor has left with rocket speed. She doesn’t know she has sisters. It’s all pretty messy right now. An acknowledgement that Zoë would try to find her and have a good long talk would have been nice. Then again, the half sentence squeezed in mentions/acknowledgements just to tie loose ends up – they piled up considerably in that Book.

Na’ane:
Okay, THAT was the mention I really wanted to see. Just an acknowledgement that she’s at peace, and Kian has come to appreciate her very much. Or, uhm, see her at all? Well, if she didn’t get killed, that is.

Mira:
When Mira didn’t get to squeeze a word in because RTG couldn’t get the voice actor in the studio … uhhhm. A good bit of disappointment over here. It’s Mira! How could DFC end without her colorful commentary? Thankfully, we had Saga in that scene, so a sarcastic undertone was still there.

Emma:
Yes, Emma. Whom you got to meet in her museum during Book 1 … or wait, you didn’t. I’m anxious as to what’s happening there right now. When RTG finally, eventually, one day, who knows, gets to implement the museum, will they invest in a voice actor for Emma and bring Zoë’s voice actress back so that injection will still feel like an organic part of the Propast setting? I really have my doubts there.

Reza:
Poor Reza! He got the short end of the stick. The WATI brainwash arc still makes some sense, but the many conflicts with the character never got resolved. When he enters the hospital room and doesn't say a word, it eerily mirrors the end of Dreamfall. Is this "the real Reza" now? We'll never find out.

Westhouse:
Well, we saw it all coming, so moaning won’t help. The Storytime sequence that showed him battling with these inner demons at least gave some credibility to the idea, while I still can't replay TLJ without thinking it wouldn't work. April was saving the Balance, Westhouse could at the very least misdirect her. Still, I would at least have wanted to see some acknowledgement and final words from him in DFC, to see that he’s still alive and back to his old self...?

Wonkers:
I’m not sure Wonkers ever had an arc as such, and I’m undecided on using Abnaxus’ voice actor to give us “wrong Wonkers” as a substitute. Wonkers was the voice of unconditional love coming from a mere piece of technology, and that was a very important piece in the Starkadian jungle for me. There may have been more fitting endings for the character if only they’d gotten Jack Angel back.

Bip:
Bip’s treatment in Book Four was a sad occurrence already, but in Book Five? It was all too painfully obvious that they reused samples recorded for Book 2 in 2015. For a fan favorite character, his last scene was disappointing. They didn’t even show his parents. I do understand the decision of course. There’s a budget, and limits to that budget.

Gordon “Blind Guardian” Halloway
I may be blatantly misunderstanding things, but Helena tried to create a world governed solely by science and logic right herself, and the Prophet tried to eradicate all magic from Arcadia by channelling technology into the world. And the Guardian, the only job of whom is keeping science and magic nicely separated, never knew! He’s all like “Go home April, this doesn’t concern the Balance. Stupid kid!”. God that impeachment should come quickly.

WATI:
So the revelation of WATI’s wrongdoing was all that was needed to put down the totalitarian military dictatorship the Syndicate had already established? That’s a strange thought. Particularly in our present times, when we’ve all withnessed how exposing the total surveillance by governments does absolutely nothing to undo those governments. Credible, at least, is that WATI survives the whole ordeal. Easily, I might add. Forge plan to take over the entirety of Europe, get slapped on the hand and told "no-no".

Of course, we never hear about Samantha Gilmore or the Asian Twins ever again. We never hear about Alvin Peats again or in what way his plans deviated one ounce from Samantha Gilmore’s. It never became clear why Gilmore killed him, and it definitely never became relevant to the story. These central Dreamfall characters are just lost in the void of eight bloody years of development limbo. The fact remains, if I had to decide what characters and arcs to cut in order to continue the story after eight years for a largely new audience, I would probably have applied the very same cuts. :mellow:

• agirlnamedbob, Shifterdreamer, khh and 19 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#2 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:40

I think Zoe lost her powers when the Dream merged with the Undream and she just became a normal person, free to live her life. I was so glad she gets to live, too, though. That to me was honestly the biggest twist - a happy ending!

Totally agree about Hami.

Totally disappointed about how Zoe "saving" April was bullshit.

Crow was reincarnated. Saga didn't get the "original" back to life, so to speak.

Disappointed there was no ending scene with Hanna or even dialogue line between Zoe and Gabriel about bringing Hanna into their lives again.

I assume Gilmore let go of controlling Reza when Helena's project was destroyed and WATI had no reason to go after Zoe anymore. But I absolutely agree that it's ridiculous how quickly the whole WATI/EYE conflict just went away.

I think Brian and Helena got annihilated during the merge of the Dream and Undream.

I think Gilmore killed Peats just because he was like 200 years old and it was time for him to die and she could take control of the company.

• Vainamoinen likes this

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#3 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2722 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:46

I love Dreamer Cycle story and characters. And ending. But it still feels like second chapter of The Longest Journey saga and that there should be third one aka The Longest Journey Home.
  • Vainamoinen, bongboy, inspector and 1 other like this

#4 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:46

I have the weird feeling that the undreaming has manifested itself in different beings through history, but also as mcallen, in the last parts where he's being punted by Zoë , he really has his demeanor, and McAllen always had a prefference for unification. 

• Vainamoinen likes this

#5 wedfvbghy

wedfvbghy

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:40

April:

„Find her. Save her. Or get her killed – same thing”. What we’ve easily discarded as an explanation for ten years because it just sounded too darn bad was actually meant just like that. I find that very difficult to wrap my head around. Rebirth has saved April, but rebirth wasn’t Zoë’s doing. April had a spanking new character model, which I loved, but eventually only got three lines that Sarah probably recorded in early 2015. Or 2014 even. And seeing only just the Storytime echo of April and Crow wander off into adventures long in the past wasn't particularly satisfying. Deep sighs here.

Saga:
Well, Saga really is something else. And that’s to be taken literally. What is she?! Saga isn’t really a Shifter, she’s a hardcore artist-singer-alchemist Girl Friday, and despite her assertions that she’s not a writer, she’s still a strange kind of hired author – acting out, constructing and retelling stories that seem to have been written long ago by an unknown authoritative voice. It will take me quite a while to decide whether that even works as a character. But she’s fucking kickass awesome anyway, and that character model is the best in the entire TLJ saga.

Saga is definitely a shifter. It's just that, unlike April, she grew up learning various stuff about travel between worlds, so she's actually competent in it. And has useful complementary secondary skills.

Also, if we've learned anything from Dreamfall TLJ ending treating by Chapters, it is that what's shown and said is literally true unless specifically told otherwise later. April really died. So April really was saved by Zoe too. Also, Saga is April: same soul, same person.

And after some thinking, I think I understand what that saving means. If not for Zoe, April would never venture into the Underground City. So she would never touch the Well of Dreams. That's what Zoe changed in her life - by actions of the Dreamer, April received her own connection to the Storytime! She would get herself killed anyway, with or without interference from Zoe or Kian. But thanks to Zoe, she gets a second life, where she can now do what she's been intended to do from the start - help the twin worlds survive their various troubles. Saga can do it because she now has crucial knowledge about the stories that drive and shape the worlds. Instead of blind life of pointless violence and helplessness, she becomes an enlightened person, because she's been put onto a better path.

So Draic Kin or not, Saga ultimately becomes like Cortez, I think. And Cortez knew from the very start that April would get there. So he wasn't just using her as a pawn, he was preparing his own replacement. He also new that the process would involve some tough stuff like dying, and that direct instructions would be useless because of that...

• Vainamoinen, Lee-m, bongboy and 3 others like this

#6 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:00

Thanks for this thread! Very interesting

Zoë:
(...) Have her powers to alter reality just ceased?

Who really knows :-/

Hami:
(...) one spark of magic in Hami's past, and bygones all? That was a little difficult to swallow.

I didn't have much of a problem with that.

Mother Utana:
(...) Mother Utana orchestrated the death camps… the death camps. Not sure how I feel about that, and about Crow not recognizing it even though he seemed to serve as her messenger.

This part really bothered me...like....a lot. seing and hearing crow say with that voice how he used to bring messages and all...I just couldn't take it. I like to think that he was somehow brainwashed...but the damage is done.

Onor Hileriss:
Hamfisted, certainly, poetic justice, definitely. But it was great to see his arc and reign ending this way. It was, so to speak, an emotional reward gained through a lot of psychological pain in the Books before.

I hate seing people killed and burned alive. I really despise that scene. He was an annoying character, though.

April:

Until the end I had hoped Zoe was meant to see April to then "Dream her back" (sort of re-dux). It was sad to not see it happen but I knew it wouldn't. So in the end I'm not that hurt or disappointed.

Saga:
(...) she’s still a strange kind of hired author – acting out, constructing and retelling stories that seem to have been written long ago by an unknown authoritative voice. (...) But she’s fucking kickass awesome anyway, and that character model is the best in the entire TLJ saga.

I didn't see any reconstructing or retelling on her side. Quite the opposite, really. But yeah: she definitely kicks some ass! ^__^

Crow:

I'll...skip this one...

Hanna:
(...) Then again, the half sentence squeezed in mentions/acknowledgements just to tie loose ends up – they piled up considerably in that Book.

I think her side-role was developed quite well and am perfectly happy not seeing her in book 5.

Na’ane:
Okay, THAT was the mention I really wanted to see. Just an acknowledgement that she’s at peace, and Kian has come to appreciate her very much. Or, uhm, see her at all? Well, if she didn’t get killed, that is.

Yep: we got none of her...but then again...I didn't much care for her character in DFC.

Mira:
When Mira didn’t get to squeeze a word in because RTG couldn’t get the voice actor in the studio … uhhhm.(...)

Ah, so that was the reason! Then it's totally forgiven :)

Emma:
Yes, Emma. Whom you got to meet in her museum during Book 1 … or wait, you didn’t. (...)

Not being a backer, I never really missed her character. I loved Emman and Charlie and I would have gladly paid the game double price for them to be in DFC....and to see the Fringe once more. But this is totally fine with me.

Reza:
Poor Reza! He got the short end of the stick. The WATI brainwash arc still makes some sense, but the many conflicts with the character never got resolved. When he enters the hospital room and doesn't say a word, it eerily mirrors the end of Dreamfall. Is this "the real Reza" now? We'll never find out.

Thank you for this...at first I didn't make much of it, but after reading your post it really caught my eye too! Weird shit, man!

Westhouse:
Well, we saw it all coming, so moaning won’t help. The Storytime sequence that showed him battling with these inner demons at least gave some credibility to the idea, while I still can't replay TLJ without thinking it wouldn't work. April was saving the Balance, Westhouse could at the very least misdirect her. Still, I would at least have wanted to see some acknowledgement and final words from him in DFC, to see that he’s still alive and back to his old self...?

And he could have shifter with the to Stark if he really wanted to. But I guess he was still "conflicted"...yeah it's a bit of a mess but, then, also Manny....awww :(

I'm going to skip on some side characters

Gordon “Blind Guardian” Halloway
I may be blatantly misunderstanding things, but Helena tried to create a world governed solely by science and logic right herself, and the Prophet tried to eradicate all magic from Arcadia by channelling technology into the world. And the Guardian, the only job of whom is keeping science and magic nicely separated, never knew! He’s all like “Go home April, this doesn’t concern the Balance. Stupid kid!”. God that impeachment should come quickly.

By the balance! BLIND GUARDIAN HAHAHAHAHAHA you're awesome!

Yes. Well, since the game doesn't offer an explanation, here we go.

Cortez sent Brian to get "undreamed". Brian got genocide of magicals going through Utana, to unite the worlds in science. Ergo, Cortez wanted the unification of the worlds, in the end, right?
But April, encouraged by Cortez, went on her longest journey or keep the balance. to do so in the end she made Gordon the new guardian. Gordon's personality seemed to change when he became the guardian...for the better.
WRONG
He is willing, like Cortez, to reunite the worlds.

WATI:
So the revelation of WATI’s wrongdoing was all that was needed to put down the totalitarian military dictatorship the Syndicate had already established?

Eh...I'll say it's a videogame and I like positiveness in videogames :)
  • Vainamoinen likes this

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#7 Sarah_Stark

Sarah_Stark

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:40

I felt the constant jumps of 30/60 second moments was really rather jarring and there were so ​so many of them. Random deaths because reasons. Anna stabbing Vamon just felt like 'oh, okay.' Every other death we knew was coming, so maybe some weight behind it? Well, aside from chumpdeath of the unexepected which was Crow. Not sure why that happened, or even why Brian didn't corrupt Crow. There were moments in the second game where that could have happened - the flight over to the library when Zoe's asleep and Crow/Brian can chat. Easily could have done that. The idea that Utana was that vile was a bit odd, but at least did surprise me.

Hami was a weird one. His actions in the last book were so contrary to how he'd been before that I basically forgot about the past and imagined her was a good man. He really wasn't, and his speech kinda feels hollow when you remember that.

Much like the snippets we see, I wasn't too fond of the 'five years later' device. It felt rather odd. At that particular moment, we know from Saga that it's between wars, and I'm not even going into how shoe-horned Saga actually felt.

I like the character but it felt like she needed her own game that could then have been woven into the tapestry of the series. Instead we get ''Oh, plot device portal lady'' and ''Oh, plot device adopted daughter lady (Alvane)'' and ''Oh, plot device doesn't care about her parents or show any hint of sadness/grief at them never returning lady''.

All the way through the interludes I was expecting her to have some pivotal revelation or something that added urgency.

Instead we pick up the story at certain moments and are expected to not feel a bit cheated that there's zero motivation in what she does. maybe some of it was her acting on the memories of April? I don't know. I just felt she needed more storytime (pun intended).

Most others I agree with, though I thought Wonkers was done really well. It almost felt like they were saying ''We know it wouldn't be the same with him not having the right voice. He's irreplaceable.'' and though obviously using dialogue from Dreamfall, I did find that moment touching.

I can't fathom what's going on the with Guardian. It's like someone's pulling an Ozymandias to his Dr. Manhatten, but without Gordon actually being that powerful. Maybe some element of what was done to him in TLJ lingered and that's why he's so impotent.

A wasted opportunity to tie all three games together with at least some acknowledgement of him or Cortez (Brian's diary not mentioning him was very odd indeed).

• Vainamoinen, Riaise, fibkin and 4 others like this

I could of course be very wrong.

#8 Barentity

Barentity

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 14:22

Zoë:

I assumed she lost her powers as soon as Lux left her and rejoined with the Undreaming. Which means, unlike Kian, who had a prophecy to fulfill, Zoë's role seems to be permanently over. I think they should have killed her off :P

Utana:

Damn right!

Crow:

I agree, his death seemed to be purely for shock value, and for me it didn't have that. If 'Old Crow' is just Crow resurrected then his death is just a minor setback, not a tragedy. And if it's Crow's son or just another Crow-like magical bird, then it kind of devalues the ending of TLJ and just makes things convoluted for the sake of it.

Hanna:

Yes, it would have been nice for her to play a role, and there is still the fourth Dreamer called Hope.

Na'ane:

In my playthrough, Na'ane was standing there on the balcony with Kian and Saga in the epilogue. If you decide to bring Likho with you, then Likho is the one standing on the balcony, and Na'ane isn't (even if you saved her).

Reza:

Reza 3.0 is the new and improved Reza from WatiCorp! Changelist: -removed call-home feature; -updated privacy policy. Order yours today!

Westhouse:

It would have been nice to see him returning to an apartment in Boston and thinking to himself, "well that was a wasted trip".

• Vainamoinen, Mr Moo and OptoNick like this

#9 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 19 June 2016 - 14:40

Zoë:

I assumed she lost her powers as soon as Lux left her and rejoined with the Undreaming. Which means, unlike Kian, who had a prophecy to fulfill, Zoë's role seems to be permanently over. I think they should have killed her off :P

According to Lady Alvane, Zoë did not lose her powers:

"From what I've heard, she lived a long and fulfilling life. And I know she passed the Dream on, or all this... wouldn't be."

That Lux/Undreaming thing is confusing. It seems like Zoë has Lux, the Undreaming and Yaga inside her.

• Vainamoinen, Caya, Pawlo_86 and 1 other like this

#10 ShardofTruth

ShardofTruth

Fringe Café Regular

• Drachkin
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 15:13

I think most of the problems with the character's story arcs are results of the game's pacing. We were left in the dark for so long about certain motivations that every explanation seems to be rushed in episode 5 and some characters naturally fall behind since there is no time for them anymore.

Also, I really like Saga, but I didn't like how she assumed direct control over the game's story in the end. She is the catalyst for everything, yet we never get know why she really does all these things (apart from the prophecy fluff) or if she even cares that much. She is like an April on speed, we really should have seen her "longest journey". It would have made a lot of sense for April being in her situation but some things can never be.

That being said I really, really liked the Lady Alvane epilogue, it provided a lot of closure (and even some obscure explanations, e.g. on the collapse) for me.

• Vainamoinen, Riaise, Caya and 1 other like this

#11 Kianismybae

Kianismybae

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLeón, Spain

Posted 19 June 2016 - 16:07

"From what I've heard, she lived a long and fulfilling life. And I know she passed the Dream on, or all this... wouldn't be."

That Lux/Undreaming thing is confusing. It seems like Zoë has Lux, the Undreaming and Yaga inside her.

But  what is  Yaga... If Lux is the  Dream and  Undreaming aka Nox  is the counterpart of Lux....  Yaga could a part of Lux indeed. I DON'T UNDERSTAND SOME THINGS  T.T

#12 Barentity

Barentity

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 16:55

But  what is  Yaga... If Lux is the  Dream and  Undreaming aka Nox  is the counterpart of Lux....  Yaga could a part of Lux indeed. I DON'T UNDERSTAND SOME THINGS  T.T

There are three binary oppositions:

• Magic versus science / Chaos versus order
  • Light versus darkness / Lux versus Nox(Yaga) / Light versus Shadow / Dream versus nightmare
  • Dream versus Undream / Creation versus destruction / Life versus death

The Undreaming and Nox are not the same. As the Mole says in Book 4, Nox/Yaga is the "necessary" darkness, the nightmare, scary stuff. Undreaming is about non-existence and destruction.

I would interpret that in the opposite way. Zoë passed the Dream, i.e. Lux, out of her, and the Dream continued. I think Zoë was just a temporary carrier for Lux in the same way that Brian and Klacks were temporary carriers for the Undreaming.

• Vainamoinen, Clairobscur, Caya and 3 others like this

#13 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 19 June 2016 - 17:42

I would interpret that in the opposite way. Zoë passed the Dream, i.e. Lux, out of her, and the Dream continued. I think Zoë was just a temporary carrier for Lux in the same way that Brian and Klacks were temporary carriers for the Undreaming.

You are right, the Dream passed on back to Lux and not to Zoë's daughter. I mixed up Lady Alvane's two sentences.

#14 Dolmari Gamble

Dolmari Gamble

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBlack Sea, Simferopolis.

Posted 19 June 2016 - 17:45

Saga, IMO feels like the worst case of "deus ex machina" and the fact that we play as her doesn't diminish the clumsiness of that device in the slightest. Not to mention her "explanations". I think Ragnar wrote her after himself. But that joke with her dialogue lines was funny.

• Vainamoinen, Kari2 and Toffy like this

HyKUWYb.png

#15 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6117 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 18:11

Saga, IMO feels like the worst case of "deus ex machina"

That's what I thought Friday night. Now, I'm not so sure. She DOES save Kian from certain death, that is true, but apart from this, she's just opening a shift so that other people are able to set their talents in motion. In essence, the deus ex isn't resolving so much as it is enabling.

Borderline OK in my book. :)

• Dolmari Gamble, Layara, Caya and 1 other like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#16 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 19 June 2016 - 18:50

If Lux and Zoë split up at the end, it would have been nice to get a farewell scene between the two.

#17 Layara

Layara

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 June 2016 - 19:27

That's what I thought Friday night. Now, I'm not so sure. She DOES save Kian from certain death, that is true, but apart from this, she's just opening a shift so that other people are able to set their talents in motion. In essence, the deus ex isn't resolving so much as it is enabling.

I agree.

Saga doesn’t feel like a Deus Ex Machina to me, at least not in the true sense of being a character we’ve never seen before coming out of nowhere to change the protagonists’ fates. If anything, she steps in so the protagonists can fulfil the destiny they were meant to have, and we have witnessed her budding ability over the course of the previous books, so it does not come out of nowhere either.

The difference between her and the other three (April, Zoe, Kian) is that by Book 5 she’s self-aware, in the sense of knowing what kind of role she has to fulfil, and has knowledge about events in the future. So obviously she’ll be at the right place at the right time. She needs to be, because failing to save Kian would mean interrupting the circle. In the epilogue of Dreamfall, Chavez tells Brian Westhouse: “Time is a circle, and you are needed.” Same holds true for everyone else.

• Vainamoinen, Mr Moo and Bluejay like this

#18 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11175 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 June 2016 - 19:42

I think the Saga ex Machina thing wouldn't have flown (for me) if it had been done differently. But as it was, the whole thing with the Songlines ties into all of the other Australian Aboriginal lore that DF/DFC pulls from so heavily. And the stuff she repeats about how "this is the way the story goes" and "it's been written, we can't change it now" is basically verbatim what Lady Alvane tells April when she shows up at the HoAW in TLJ. So... ...it just tied into everything so nicely. So for me, I'll allow it. 

Not to mention...I mean. We're dealing with characters who have crazy super powers... We have Dreamers and Shifters. Zoe can reshape reality. Saga was born in a place that is outside of time and space. ...She basically grew up inside of a plot Macguffin that's begging to be used as a Deus ex Machina. You could make an argument that April ending up there in TLJ had elements of that. 

I feel like there was enough setup here and it ties into everything nicely enough that it didn't have that feel. Though again. YMMV. 

I'll...probably have more to say about everything else in a bit... ...when I have the gumption to sit down and spend an hour or better drafting a post. 

• WorldsReunited, Vainamoinen, khh and 4 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#19 virumor

virumor

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 19:50

Poor Anna/Alayna, being nothing but a gaydar false flag in the end.

#20 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2399 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 19 June 2016 - 19:59

Exactly. When that sequence started I was disappointed because it seemed like we were getting into a really week deus ex machina, but in the end I liked how it was done. It worked well. :)

• Vainamoinen likes this

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users