104 replies to this topic

#61 Babel-17

Babel-17

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:16

Some heavy stuff here, I like it. :) I think the answers to the questions I had are in in this thread. April gets reborn, but in another sense she journeys on, she has just "sailed beyond the sunset"*.

And I hope it's cool if I leave this here.

*Come, my friends,

'T is not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

http://www.poetryfou...ms/detail/45392

#62 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 22:24

Along with my diary, talisman and various other items. :rolleyes:

I said in another thread: "Saga got her hands on April's diary?" because at the moment i was posting, i was sure LA had made a comment about having read April's diary or something like that. Then i realized i was wrong and thought "boy, this game is really messing up my head".

You actually saw the diary itself?  :lol: I feel a little better now.  :P

Inspect the Talisman of Balance, Lady Alvane doesn't even hesitate when calling it April's and is generally baffled at how it go there, even though Saga probably fulfilled the second part of April's prophecies. Inspecting April's picture also feels like Lady Alvane is going out of her way to separate April from herself, or just reduce her to some vivid memories, also the picture of April she drew.

If by "picture of April she drew" you mean the purplish painting that we also saw in the Book 4 Interlude, yeah, i too thought it was April, but if you observe it more carefully, the girl is actually Saga.

#63 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 June 2016 - 22:46

I said in another thread: "Saga got her hands on April's diary?" because at the moment i was posting, i was sure LA had made a comment about having read April's diary or something like that. Then i realized i was wrong and thought "boy, this game is really messing up my head".

You actually saw the diary itself?  :lol: I feel a little better now.  :P

Now you make me unsure, so I can't confirm or deny. I don't have time to replay the game now. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. :)

#64 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:59

Yeah, sorry some times I get aggressive. 

Each to their own. I need to lighten up to be honest. 

#65 TheDreamfallen

TheDreamfallen

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, USA

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:11

From the words of Ragnar and Dag, in an interview with Rock, Paper, Shotgun, from 2008. 

"Interviewer: ...at the beginning of TLJ you see an elderly April reading a story...
Ragnar: Or an elderly woman.
Interviewer: It's obviously April! It has to be!

Dag: Obviously?!

Ragnar: Obviously?!

Dag: SHE'S DEAD!
Interviewer: Oh, of course, I forgot...

Ragnar: It's not "obviously" April!

Interviewer: Of course it is!

Interviewer: Crow is in the room with her!

Dag: Actually, it's a lot more complex than you think. Let me leave it at that."

(source: https://www.rockpape...eamfall-faith/)

• Pawlo_86, Speak&Spell and Starseeker like this

April's dead.

My blog, (including reviews on DFC and other games and tech): https://gexpblog.wor.../tag/dreamfall/

#66 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:24

hahhaha the interviewer embodying every gamer I know hahahahah

• TheDreamfallen likes this

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#67 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:26

To me Saga is April reborn. The spirit that was April became Saga. Remember Abnaxious sees the past present and future simultaneously. One spirit, two individuals. Saga is not April and April is not Saga. The spirit that was April then became Saga after April died. While Saga is not aware that she had a former life as April, she senses some connection to April she does not understand. The spiritual side of her nature knows the connection even if she does not.

April: I'm guessing...I'm pretty sure, actually...I'm not in Venice anymore. Now I know how Alice and Dorothy felt.  "Moby Dick", "Oliver Twist","The World According to Garp","Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance","The Holy Bible"...It's an eclectic collection, that's for sure. I don't know who she is, but she does look vaguely familiar.

Why would April say Lady Alvane looks vaguely familiar. There is no reason if there was not a connection between the two. The connection being the same spirit.

Old Woman: Welcome, April Ryan.

April: I won't ask how you know my name...but who are you?

Old Woman: The Lady Alvane is my name now.

April: And where am I? What's this place?

Old Woman: This is my home, the House of All Worlds.

April: This is Arcadia? It looked like I passed through a Shift but it didn't feel...it felt different, not like Shifting.

Old Woman: It's similar to Shifting, except you did not pass through dreams, and you're not in Arcadia, not in Stark. This place is Between, and Everywhere. But don't worry. You are safe from your pursuers. For the moment.

April: Did you bring me here?

Old Woman: You brought yourself here, but yes, I opened a doorway for you.

Why use the expression "You brought yourself here"? April thought she had opened a shift to Marcuria. It is not like she had chosen to go to the HOAW. 

April: Why?

Old Woman: Because that's how the story goes, April. You escape. You outrun your pursuers, and your journey continues. It's been written, and we cannot change that now.

April: Lady Alvane, I appreciate your help, but I'm so tired of hearing about my destiny, and about prophecies...I've lost a good friend today, and...

Old Woman: She's not dead.

April: What...what did you say?

Old Woman: Emma's not dead. She was hurt, but not killed.

April: Oh, thank God. Are you sure?

Old Woman: I'm quite certain. She is on her way to the hospital as we speak. But the others, Charlie, Fiona...they're angry at you. They blame you for Emma's pain and for not letting them in on the truth.

April: They should blame me. I brought it all to them, the violence, the chaos...I've hurt so many people since this all started, and yet at the same time it all seemed -- justified.

Old Woman: It was. The fate of many depend on the sacrifice of the few. Your sacrifice most of all. You've made so many, and you'll have to make many more before this is all over.

April: Will it ever be over?

Old Woman: Eventually. The pain won't go away, though, You'll keep that with you forever.

April: I don't know if I can go on. It's so hard.

Old Woman: Listen to me, April. You must go on, you must be brave. They all depend on...on you. (I always thought this hesitation was odd, there is no reason to hesitate to say the word you, unless she was going to say something else and caught herself.) And you can do it, you can get through this. Just remember what's important and what's not. Remember who your friends are, and trust them, let them help you.

April: I already did that, and look where it got them.

Old Woman: Somebody gets hurt. That doesn't mean you can give up. I want you to go to Marcuria, to see for yourself how those who are not willing to surrender are holding up. You can learn from their courage.

April: I can't go there. I can't Shift. People tell me I have this.... This talent but it's not true. If I can't use it, what good is it?

Old Woman: But you have used it twice already! April, child, you must learn to believe in yourself and your abilities, use what you know, what you do best, to focus your magic.

April: What I do best...you mean painting?

Old Woman: If that's what you do best, then yes, use that as a focal point. After a while, you won't even need that, but it's a beginning.

April: What about the other things I have to do? What about the Guardian?

Old Woman: The Vanguard are holding Adrian, the Guardian, captive. But they still don't know where the entrance to the Guardian's Realm is located.

April: Shouldn't I free Adrian immediately?

Old Woman: Go first to Marcuria. The doorway will bring you there. If you go straight back to Stark, the Vanguard will find you.

April: Thanks, Lady Alvane. I'm not gonna ask you how you know everything you just told me, because I'm not sure I want to know.

Old Woman: Good luck on the journey ahead, April. I will...keep my fingers crossed for you.

April: Maybe I'll see you again?

Old Woman: Oh, I'm quite certain of that. Quite, quite certain.

Diary Entry

Sunday, August 5th, around mid-day

and my life was hanging by a thin thread this morning. If the Lady Alvane hadn't "invited" me to her house (by way of what looked like a Shift), I would have been captured and maybe killed by now. She also told me Emma will be okay, and even though I can't be sure she's telling the truth, I trust that she is. There was something about her, something so disconcertingly familiar that I can't help but trust her implicitly. Not to mention the fact that she helped me out when I most needed it. It's really strange how much she seemed to know about me, and it's so frustrating that she wouldn't tell me more. At least she brought me here to Marcuria, to see how people are holding up in the face of war, and I guess, to complete the disc. I wonder who stayed on? Tobias, maybe. Or Abnaxus. And Brian. Can't forget Brian. I'll have to go visit them all, one last time.

As I said earlier why does she find her familiar? There is really no reason, they have never met before this encounter.

Lady Alvane has things of April, but why and how? And the drawings she made of Aprils life when she was young, there really is no reason unless she is April reborn as Saga. 

Finally, we see a reborn Crow with Saga. Since she really didn't know Crow why did she go out of her way to pick up his fallen body, unless her spiritual side which retains the memories of Aprils life was guiding her? The reborn Crow is drawn to Saga because his spiritual side knows April and the spirit that led the life of April is now leading the life of Saga.

But lets say Lady Alvane isn't April reborn. April told both Kian and Zoe she wanted to be reborn and if she did not become Saga/Lady Alvane, who did she become? I see no hint in the game pointing to another person as being April reborn.

• Vainamoinen, yodagreen3, bongboy and 2 others like this

#68 TheDreamfallen

TheDreamfallen

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, USA

Posted 24 June 2016 - 14:35

To me Saga is April reborn. The spirit that was April became Saga. Remember Abnaxious sees the past present and future simultaneously. One spirit, two individuals. Saga is not April and April is not Saga. The spirit that was April then became Saga after April died. While Saga is not aware that she had a former life as April, she senses some connection to April she does not understand. The spiritual side of her nature knows the connection even if she does not.

April: I'm guessing...I'm pretty sure, actually...I'm not in Venice anymore. Now I know how Alice and Dorothy felt.  "Moby Dick", "Oliver Twist","The World According to Garp","Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance","The Holy Bible"...It's an eclectic collection, that's for sure. I don't know who she is, but she does look vaguely familiar.

Why would April say Lady Alvane looks vaguely familiar. There is no reason if there was not a connection between the two. The connection being the same spirit.

Old Woman: Welcome, April Ryan.

April: I won't ask how you know my name...but who are you?

Old Woman: The Lady Alvane is my name now.

April: And where am I? What's this place?

Old Woman: This is my home, the House of All Worlds.

April: This is Arcadia? It looked like I passed through a Shift but it didn't feel...it felt different, not like Shifting.

Old Woman: It's similar to Shifting, except you did not pass through dreams, and you're not in Arcadia, not in Stark. This place is Between, and Everywhere. But don't worry. You are safe from your pursuers. For the moment.

April: Did you bring me here?

Old Woman: You brought yourself here, but yes, I opened a doorway for you.

Why use the expression "You brought yourself here"? April thought she had opened a shift to Marcuria. It is not like she had chosen to go to the HOAW. 

April: Why?

Old Woman: Because that's how the story goes, April. You escape. You outrun your pursuers, and your journey continues. It's been written, and we cannot change that now.

April: Lady Alvane, I appreciate your help, but I'm so tired of hearing about my destiny, and about prophecies...I've lost a good friend today, and...

Old Woman: She's not dead.

April: What...what did you say?

Old Woman: Emma's not dead. She was hurt, but not killed.

April: Oh, thank God. Are you sure?

Old Woman: I'm quite certain. She is on her way to the hospital as we speak. But the others, Charlie, Fiona...they're angry at you. They blame you for Emma's pain and for not letting them in on the truth.

April: They should blame me. I brought it all to them, the violence, the chaos...I've hurt so many people since this all started, and yet at the same time it all seemed -- justified.

Old Woman: It was. The fate of many depend on the sacrifice of the few. Your sacrifice most of all. You've made so many, and you'll have to make many more before this is all over.

April: Will it ever be over?

Old Woman: Eventually. The pain won't go away, though, You'll keep that with you forever.

April: I don't know if I can go on. It's so hard.

Old Woman: Listen to me, April. You must go on, you must be brave. They all depend on...on you. (I always thought this hesitation was odd, there is no reason to hesitate to say the word you, unless she was going to say something else and caught herself.) And you can do it, you can get through this. Just remember what's important and what's not. Remember who your friends are, and trust them, let them help you.

April: I already did that, and look where it got them.

Old Woman: Somebody gets hurt. That doesn't mean you can give up. I want you to go to Marcuria, to see for yourself how those who are not willing to surrender are holding up. You can learn from their courage.

April: I can't go there. I can't Shift. People tell me I have this.... This talent but it's not true. If I can't use it, what good is it?

Old Woman: But you have used it twice already! April, child, you must learn to believe in yourself and your abilities, use what you know, what you do best, to focus your magic.

April: What I do best...you mean painting?

Old Woman: If that's what you do best, then yes, use that as a focal point. After a while, you won't even need that, but it's a beginning.

April: What about the other things I have to do? What about the Guardian?

Old Woman: The Vanguard are holding Adrian, the Guardian, captive. But they still don't know where the entrance to the Guardian's Realm is located.

April: Shouldn't I free Adrian immediately?

Old Woman: Go first to Marcuria. The doorway will bring you there. If you go straight back to Stark, the Vanguard will find you.

April: Thanks, Lady Alvane. I'm not gonna ask you how you know everything you just told me, because I'm not sure I want to know.

Old Woman: Good luck on the journey ahead, April. I will...keep my fingers crossed for you.

April: Maybe I'll see you again?

Old Woman: Oh, I'm quite certain of that. Quite, quite certain.

Diary Entry

Sunday, August 5th, around mid-day

and my life was hanging by a thin thread this morning. If the Lady Alvane hadn't "invited" me to her house (by way of what looked like a Shift), I would have been captured and maybe killed by now. She also told me Emma will be okay, and even though I can't be sure she's telling the truth, I trust that she is. There was something about her, something so disconcertingly familiar that I can't help but trust her implicitly. Not to mention the fact that she helped me out when I most needed it. It's really strange how much she seemed to know about me, and it's so frustrating that she wouldn't tell me more. At least she brought me here to Marcuria, to see how people are holding up in the face of war, and I guess, to complete the disc. I wonder who stayed on? Tobias, maybe. Or Abnaxus. And Brian. Can't forget Brian. I'll have to go visit them all, one last time.

As I said earlier why does she find her familiar? There is really no reason, they have never met before this encounter.

Lady Alvane has things of April, but why and how? And the drawings she made of Aprils life when she was young, there really is no reason unless she is April reborn as Saga. 

Finally, we see a reborn Crow with Saga. Since she really didn't know Crow why did she go out of her way to pick up his fallen body, unless her spiritual side which retains the memories of Aprils life was guiding her? The reborn Crow is drawn to Saga because his spiritual side knows April and the spirit that led the life of April is now leading the life of Saga.

But lets say Lady Alvane isn't April reborn. April told both Kian and Zoe she wanted to be reborn and if she did not become Saga/Lady Alvane, who did she become? I see no hint in the game pointing to another person as being April reborn.

This sheds light on the Saga shift discussions going on. Saga's shifts are different and she says so herself. 

But is anyone really questioning whether Saga is April reborn? 

April's dead.

My blog, (including reviews on DFC and other games and tech): https://gexpblog.wor.../tag/dreamfall/

#69 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 June 2016 - 15:19

Some people have presented alternate theories, etc. 

And I mean... At the end, Lady Alvane straight up says she doesn't know what the connection is and she likely never will, which is a pretty strong indicator RTG intended to leave some of the specifics here ambiguous enough for everyone to draw their own conclusions. I think there's some pretty strong gesturing to Saga being April reborn in some fashion, but I'm open to alternate interpretations. 

Personally, I think it's more complicated than straight up April  = Saga. I've been mulling over some of what's been said in the game about her rebirth and Lady Alvane's line about time being a spiral... still trying to order all of my thoughts on the matter. 

• thelj and Indrid Cold like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#70 Vincy85

Vincy85

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRignano Flaminio(RM)

Posted 24 June 2016 - 15:42

My opinion is that Saga when shifted from the HOAW the first time became April, when April dies Saga come back home and start her longest journey. Saga said, i don't remember in which interlude, i remember be in Arcadia with Crow...or something like that. I should replay the game for being sure of this. Still i am bit confused about the Draic Kin, the end of the game doesn't explain where the Draic Kin are...Dead? Saga could be the White, but the others? Queenie could be one/Red, maybe Kostantin Wolf could be the Green, as Jacob McAllen....i don't find the blue :)

The political part was skipped i noticed...

#71 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 24 June 2016 - 17:08

My opinion is that Saga when shifted from the HOAW the first time became April, when April dies Saga come back home and start her longest journey. Saga said, i don't remember in which interlude, i remember be in Arcadia with Crow...or something like that. I should replay the game for being sure of this. Still i am bit confused about the Draic Kin, the end of the game doesn't explain where the Draic Kin are...Dead? Saga could be the White, but the others? Queenie could be one/Red, maybe Kostantin Wolf could be the Green, as Jacob McAllen....i don't find the blue :)

The political part was skipped i noticed...

The problem with this theory is that when she was 7 years old, Saga drew 9 pictures about April's journey in TLJ, then she put them in order, which created a shift or a songline portal, whatever that was. If she only became April after she walked through the shift/portal, how did she know April's story beforehand? As far as we know, this was Saga's first "shift". I put shift in quotes because she said that she's not a shifter, and her portal in book 5 was clearly not the kind of shift April was able to open.

#72 Vincy85

Vincy85

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 17:28

The problem with this theory is that when she was 7 years old, Saga drew 9 pictures about April's journey in TLJ, then she put them in order, which created a shift or a songline portal, whatever that was. If she only became April after she walked through the shift/portal, how did she know April's story beforehand? As far as we know, this was Saga's first "shift". I put shift in quotes because she said that she's not a shifter, and her portal in book 5 was clearly not the kind of shift April was able to open.

She draw the story and she live it..as Etta write stories. I guess

#73 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 June 2016 - 18:47

Theoretically (and I'm not saying this makes any sense, just a vague thought), April may not have been physically reborn at all. Perhaps her soul/spirit/conciousness was reborn into the Storytime, or wherever and her connection with Saga allows Saga to draw on all of the knowledge that April has. This would mean that young Saga has memories of April's journey and older Saga can sense things that April's "spirit" can see from the Storytime (the Vagabond mentions being able to see "threads", perhaps April can see something similar?) Again, I'm not saying this makes sense, I'm just throwing it out there as an alternative.

#74 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 20:18

Old Woman: Listen to me, April. You must go on, you must be brave. They all depend on...on you. (I always thought this hesitation was odd, there is no reason to hesitate to say the word you, unless she was going to say something else and caught herself.)

I totally agree. Personally, i thought she almost said: They all depend on us.

- All the quotes you put in red.
- The book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". It sounds very random and out of place for a granny to be keeping in her bookshelf. Oh, wait, April had a secret passion for gas automobiles.
- Old Crow at the end.
- From TLJ epilogue, LA: And so the story goes...How strange it was to tell it again, to remember...April Ryan.

All the above were more than enough for me to conclude that LA was supposed to be old April. The only thing i find inconsistent is how did LA/old April knew that her friends were angry and blamed her. April never shifted back to Stark after the Guardian's realm, right? ( same goes for LA/Saga-April version. How would Saga know that, if it's not an April memory? )

I don't deny that "Saga is April reborn" is supposed to be the general idea. The clues were abundant throughout books 1-4, but the way the whole thing was wrapped up in book 5 was a little diluted for me. I was expecting a more concrete, conscious acknowledgement of April's presence and continued existence by Saga.

Because i can't get over the fact that the DF game had me go through the, i believe it's called, cave of fuckery, for nothing but taking a peak at the well of dreams, new theory:
When April touched the blue swirl of dreams, her powers recharged and she shifted back to Stark. She lives there and exhibits her paintings under the alias Waterstirrer, in Emma's gallery. The girl that died in the swap was April's clone/stunt double. Saga is Saga. The end.  :P

My opinion is that Saga when shifted from the HOAW the first time became April,

April was adopted and started her life as April Ryan when she was a baby.
  • yodagreen3, Pawlo_86 and Starseeker like this

#75 Vincy85

Vincy85

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 14:48

April was adopted and started her life as April Ryan when she was a baby.

Yes and the father that April hate is too similar to Magnus. My idea is still the same: Saga draw the story of April Ryan then shifted and live her story....so April is never existed. Saga on Stark became April. That's why April was bound to die, so it's written :D

#76 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 22:04

Assuming the series has come to an ending, and everything has been concluded. ( Not everyone will have this assumption.) Who else could April be based on the evidence Chapters provides? 

Honestly, I'm still convinced April is Saga. If she turned out not to be, I'd honestly would see it as the writer throwing everyone a curve ball and surprising them, if not entirely by intention. 

Everyone thought Brian was bad, and well not much of a surprise occurred. 

It's fine to have conversations about this and everyone's opinion should be respected equally. Given that, I really don't see April being some one else, she was reborn, so she had to be some one....and there's only so many characters to choose from that we already know. Unless Ragnar had another character in mind that he wasn't going to include in the final chapter of Dreamfall, and possibly the final longest journey game... But the game clearly shows Saga being born at the same time April is "buried"... no other character is in the scene...

It seems like a pretty big coincidence... I don't think it was un-intentionally wrote this way and that scene was placed after April Ryan's "burial" randomly.  When Saga is introduced we can hear background music, a mixed version of April's funeral theme....The music would be out of place if it didn't mean anything... wouldn't it? It had to mean something, why go through all that trouble to connect the two. Even if it's subtle and they never come out and directly say. Saga is April , it's pretty darn obvious they are saying April and Saga are intimately connected... and if that intimate connection isn't a rebirth, then what is it? Where in the game is it suggest any where out right as much so that April is an other character reborn? When does any other character even acknowledge April or say that he/she has a special connection to April?

Why would they sit down, record a mixed musical theme of April's funeral for Saga?? Just for giggles? It obviously had some sort of intention, meaning, the relationship between Saga and April was clearly meditated on and lots of energy and focus put into it by the creative team. There's just too many examples of this in the game to pretend it's not true... and I fail to see this same energy and focus put into ANY other character in the game to suggest that they have an equally special connection to April or a more special connection to her....

There's only so many choices, unless we assume it's a character we never met, or her rebirth refers to something else. Saga is a very likely candidate.

There's just too many similarities, synchronicities , coincidences to tie the two together.Honestly, if April Ryan isn't Saga but some other character in the game... I'd feel like it was a cop out...there just to surprise and confuse the gaming audience.

Zoe describes April in story time as an echo, a ghost... Really what saga seems to have is that Echo, April ryan does seem to be dead in a way but reborn into Saga, and Saga who appears to be Lady Alvane has her memories but isn't April ryan, but  April Ryan reborn as Saga. That's how I see it. April is dead, one but two like Abanaxus said. April Ryan and Saga are connected as two that are one. Saga has April Ryan's echo, she is April Ryan reborn as Saga, so she is Saga... not April, but April Ryan born as Saga. So she has April's memories, but she is not April Ryan, she is April Ryan in another life. Though, I do seem some similarities in personality. 

That's how I see it...No one else in the game, as far as I can remember states their self having a special , mysterious connection to April Ryan... 

Not trying to be an ass hole again, just pretty convinced. I agree strongly with some of these recent posts. Each to their own. If Saga is  not April Ryan, I will honestly say that it will feel contrived to me, and a story twist just to be a twist for the sake of it. It just really seems to work, and seems to be the simplest , most likely explanation to me.  That's how I honestly feel. Saga has the clearest connection to April Ryan, made clear by the actual story of the game. No other character speaks of being connected to April in the same way, except... maybe Kian, who ends up in fact adopting Saga...

That's how I sincerely feel. Others are free to disagree. 

#77 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2734 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 June 2016 - 22:21

Dreamfall

Zoe
April
Kian

Dreamfall Chapters

Zoe
Kian
Saga/LA

So. April -> Saga/LA ;)
  • yodagreen3 and Starseeker like this

#78 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:45

There is undeniably a connection between April and Saga, but I don't think it's as simple as a straight rebirth. I believe that at her death April became more than she was in life. In her life April had the potential to be a great many things, but she was only able to follow one of the possible paths. In TLJ April wasn't "the One", remember, and if she chose differently there what would happen would be "something else".

Her more magical part, the role of the Mother of a future that may still be, her Kinship and her importance not just to Stark and Arcadia but the whole of the Multiverse passed onto Saga. As did her destiny to both save the balance and ultimately destroy it. We assumed that the Veil of which Abnaxus spoke were the events in TLJ, but in Dreamfall Chapters he is still living in the Veil - in fact it's killing him. That might imply that the Veil is more connected with the To April incidental plot of the Undreaming, rather than the Balance.

However her spirit appears to have endured, and while Saga resembles April in some ways, she's not the same person. When April and Spirit Crow walks away to their Longest Journey Home, she still has part of her destiny left. At this point Saga has already been born and assumed the other part of the prophecies. So while they're related, Saga has the memories of April in the same way that The New White had the memories of the Old White, without them being the same creature. And April's true spirit, or self, continues to endure in some fashion, in some realm, for some final adventure.

At least that's how I make sense of it, and how I reconcile imagery and emotions.

• agirlnamedbob, Indrid Cold, yodagreen3 and 1 other like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#79 Speak&Spell

Speak&Spell

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSoul-land

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:55

April was saved, and was reborn. But who could save Brian? What could have been done to save Brian? As Zoé saved April? Both were trapped in Arcadia. April accepted it, but wished to be more like a magical as she was human and was running out of courage or purpose in the world of magic. She needed to be a magical, to be more like a native in Arcadia. Then she was helped by the white Kin and Zoé. She was reborn as a hybrid being Saga. As a master of shifts and stories to be fulfilled. Could Zoé also have saved Brian? The white Kin never saw this coming with the human Brian. But fortunately she did know about April, and April was a Friend. Brian didn't accept the Kins and the world of magic. His choice in secret. Brian was hard to save too.

In Story Time, the undreaming first found Brian as a likewise device as the sharp of the soulstone to connect to. And this was all because of Brians special mind, a typical Stark mind. This started because of the monks experiment back in Tibet in 1933. The experiment was possible meant to establish a connection to the other world. But Brian was the wrong choice because of his very rational mind. Although the monks thought he was the right one, because they wanted to unleash the undreaming through him: "undreaming will be unleashed". Brian never accepted magic as good as technology. Then he searched for a connection to Stark, to also go back home and to destroy magic in Arcadia. To save Arcadia from magic. Brian tried to save both worlds with his rational mind, and he was trapped in this mission as Helena was in a likewise mission in Stark. They chose to go by them selves. To reshape reality.

• yodagreen3 likes this

Always think twice when you hear "news" from unconfirmed sources.

#80 Speak&Spell

Speak&Spell

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSoul-land

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:45

As I see it, April became a new person in Saga with memory of April's life. April's soul is the same soul who is in Saga. Saga is the reborn April. It's because of the time-loops in both Story Time and in HOAW it gets quite confusing. And Saga knows this, and prevents the past April to see the recent Crow in the end of Book 5.

• yodagreen3 likes this

Always think twice when you hear "news" from unconfirmed sources.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: April, saga, connection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users