Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 21 August 2016 - 23:31

none of the extreme DRM protected games

Denuvo Anti-Tamper has worked (and still does) very well, and is totally transparent to the end user. I class it as a form of DRM/Copy Protection in its self. Over all I think it has been a positive thing.

#62 Z43

Z43

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 23:45

I didn't hear about Nvidia being forced to pay GTX 970 users $30. When was this and can I still get $30 from them? I bought mine a little over a year ago.

Pretty recently: http://arstechnica.c...wsuit-over-ram/
It's not finalized yet, but it's very likely to be, since NV's agreed to it, and the most likely mechanism will be some sort of a rebate.

(Practically, of course, people bought the 970 based on its tested performance, not specs; most were satisfied with what they got. But this case shows that it's no excuse for false advertising, including the omission of important undesirable characteristics of a product.)

Denuvo Anti-Tamper has worked (and still does) very well, and is totally transparent to the end user. I class it as a form of DRM/Copy Protection in its self. Over all I think it has been a positive thing.

It's been cracked for the most desired games, and the main reason it's not being cracked more commonly is the 2016 'break year' declared by some pirate groups. While at that, it's not totally transparent, as it's been reported to impose a performance loss.

Overall the one anti-piracy measure that's been shown to work is including significant client-server based multiplayer content, which is fundamentally resistant to cracking since someone needs to run the server (making WoW the sole failure of the system, and even then a very partial one), ensuring that anyone without a legitimate version loses out on too much of the game.

Complicated DRM measures only delay the pirates in the case of highly desired games, and as for the undesired ones, they don't make those any better. Even in the cases where DRM seems to work, it still doesn't - products with unbroken DRM still get pirated, but in nastier ways. Look out for black market sites selling game keys for less than 1/10 their lowest sale price; some of these keys come from hardware bundles, most come from carding (over 10 million bank accounts get stolen a year in the US alone, also transparent to their owners).

The retailers then get hit with chargebacks on about half these cards, without any ability to recall the keys (the publisher doesn't want to refund them), and even if they had it, by the end of the year-long period between the hack and the chargeback, the pirates' customers are done with the game and can get a bona fide pirate version if they aren't anyway.

#63 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 21:26

"Kickstarter Update 101"

Coming soon ( or not ) to theaters near you.   <_<

#64 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 23:47

"Kickstarter Update 101"
Coming soon ( or not ) to theaters near you.   <_<

Well, it's coming eventually. The question, of course, is whether it's more of a drama, spoof, or tragedy. :D

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#65 Teneriel

Teneriel

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 September 2016 - 20:40

Hi there,

I've one question about physical rewards. You guys seem to be quiet after the release of final chapter of Dreamfall Chapters. I've pledged $500 and I just wonder when I can expect some info about them. 

Thank you. :)

Ragnar is active on Twitter, and has responded to tweets about Dreamfall Chapters; you may be able to get an answer there: https://twitter.com/ragso

I'm guessing, based on the various Red Thread social media channels I've looked at, that they are busy trying to get everything ready, and are currently understaffed for the "communicate with backers" part of the project.

#66 VeganCaramel

VeganCaramel

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:22

I severely dislike Steam, so I chose GOG.

Thanks for the great reply. Just bought it on GOG a few minutes ago. I had searched for it there before but it didn't show up (I suspect it was probably because I unknowingly had a price filter applied to the search).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users