• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#21 Sebsghost

Sebsghost

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:32

Oh my gosh, I just beat the game and I have so many emotions. It was just such a good ending. I'm always scared about finishing a game because endings are so hard to get right, but I feel like Dreamfall did a really good job of tying up loose ends.

I do hope there will be more TLJ games, though. Like what's the deal with the War of the Balance? I'm really happy where Zoe's story is and I think it had a proper conclusion, but I definitely feel there's more stories to tell in this universe. I really hope this isn't goodbye forever. :(

• WorldsReunited, Rowan37 and Teodmar like this

#22 Laura

Laura

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:50

3. A genuinely minor niggle that somehow really stuck out: it might be just me, but it was quite jarring

Spoiler

If you have the conversation in an earlier book with Likho instead of Enu,

Spoiler

• jestas likes this

#23 Shifterdreamer

Shifterdreamer

Arcadia Native

• Forum Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:50

I still have many questions... But I guess they no longer matter. I did cry when our two friends reunited (The Longest Journey Home achievement on Steam), at the end... And pretty much in all the scenes that involved April in any form. 

I understood Helena Chang to be the ''Goddess'' of the Azadi, but I may need a replay to get this sorted out. I'm also very happy that Zoë got her well-deserved ending, and that everything turned out to be real: Casablanca, Propast... All her memories.

I admit I have mixed feelings about this ending, but they are mainly positive. 

Spoiler

• Edreamer Jamil and khh like this

I have a dream... The wolf's not here on a sunny day, the wolf's not here, still I sense him...

#24 Sithoid

Sithoid

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:51

Spoiler

Anyway, I have this weird habit - when a long series is over, I sometimes look up old theories and wiki articles (as old as possible!) to see how it all comes together in the light of new events. I believe I found quite a few gems at the TLJ wiki:

Spoiler

• merryawe, SimonCle and jestas like this

#25 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:51

If you are referring to the original Dreamfall finale, I believe it was shown chronologically: we did really meet him, but it was before (or at the very beginning of) Chapters. Or did you mean something else?

Wow. How did you figure that out? I must've missed some clues - I didn't click everything in the room that time. Makes sense now that you mention it:

Spoiler

April's Talisman of the Balance is also in the room, and Saga comments that she has no idea how it got there.

#26 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:53

Wow. That was intense. There were many moments where I teared up during the early part of the book, but from the point of where

Spoiler
I cried a lot. I have never cried like this from a game or such before. Like Eveolene says, I don't think other people can quite understand how big a part of my life this series has been. With the stuff that happened and everything that was sad, that was one thing, but every time I as much as looked at April I'd burst out into tears. In fact just typing that makes me feel them. At the end I was just a mess. Even after all of the credits I needed over 20 minutes and a warm shower before I felt I could read the forums.

They did it though. They delivered an a good ending. They resolved a lot of points, and they hinted at solutions for others. It was a good ending. And also, so many of our theories were right.

• Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob and 9 others like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#27 holisk

holisk

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:04

I am a proud backer. While some minor things (ie why didn't we see April landladies? I have them to thank for helping me come to terms with my life) could have been inserted, the game was great.

As I said on steam, the Balance provided and took. 

Here's to hoping that the series continues. 

I promise to buy everything now. :3

#28 Babel-17

Babel-17

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:05

Book Five was glorious; I'm proud to have helped kickstart this quality work, and I'm very grateful to Ragnar and everybody involved.

• Rowan37 and Teodmar like this

#29 pazzer

pazzer

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:22

Mixed feelings, was by far the best book but was a bit of information overload. Might have missed it but felt some questions weren't really answered. Was slightly annoyed by prophet tease. As just wanted the reveal. Though afterwards was slightly disappointed as felt it took away from the Zoe Crow storytime scene. Hospital room scene weirded me out. Ending felt a bit rushed. No dragons :( 

• Moto200 likes this

#30 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:25

I had that moment where I just stared at the screen in full blown wide-eyed slack-jawed terror before finally clapping my hand over my mouth and continuing to stare trying to process... ...at about the same point most of the rest of you did. ...And then I got up and got another beer and some cookies because I fucking deserved them after going through that.

Prior to that I felt emotional, but I didn't really get teary. I normally don't really tear up over stuff like this. And so if you didn't, like... some people don't And I don't think that's anything to feel bad about. 

That being said, from above slack-jawed moment on, I was more emotional and did actually start just... ...full on ugly sobbing at one point. 

But... ...yeah. By the end... ...The end felt...right. Like...Randy asked me if it ended the way I wanted it to end or if it at least avoided everything I was afraid of and like... ...I'm not really sure how to answer that other than...I feel like it ended the way it needed to end. 

I'm sure I'll have nitpicks. I can already see spots that I'm sure some people are going to tear into. I know some people really aren't going to be happy about certain things. But... ...When it was all over, I just felt... Good. ...Surprisingly good. Calm. Peaceful. ...The empty ache that it's all over has been slowly setting in, but like... not as bad as I thought it would be. And having this community and going through all of this together kinda helps, too. 

No regrets. None. Red Thread has busted their asses and I am so, so proud and... ...thankful... to be a fan and a member of this community. 

• Edreamer Jamil, Shifterdreamer, khh and 9 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#31 Sithoid

Sithoid

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:25

No dragons :(

Now I feel obligated to request a fanart or a fanfic where April conquers Azadir, shouting "I am the Daughter of Dragons!"

• Constanse, NeilClaimer and Starseeker like this

#32 Matt620

Matt620

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:26

Here are my opinions about Book Five. (SPOILER WARNINGS, OBVIOUSLY)

Zoe's beginning in the hospital was a good way to start an episode. Just the touch of creepy. 

Hami joined the rebels a bit too quickly. I can understand getting to brass tacks, but I don't think enough time was spent discussing the whys. His backstory with "magic as a part of him" I just didn't understand. 

Ooh boy, lighting Onor Hileriss on fire was hilarious. If there's one thing I can say about this game, it knew how to deal with a villain I loved to hate. 

Maybe the wine-seller should have sounded drunker. I'd have believed the quest a lot more if that was the case. 

Kian's dialogue with Crow in the boat was awful. I felt like it was the devs trying to bash me over the head with "ZOMG Kian is gay!"

When did Klacks get the soulstone from Westhouse? I know it was after he got free from the calculator. I had to think about it to realize that was probably the reason the Azadi arrested him, but I don't think I should be doing stuff like that. 

I loved Saga's design. She looked cool. 

I did not see Mother Utana's betrayal. At all. Kudos, that was a fantastic twist. 

Crow's death made me really sad. It was shocking. 

The end part with Ferdows and shutting down the Engine felt way too rushed. It was an important part of the story that suddenly got regulated to sideshow. 

I did feel some sympathy for Brian Westhouse. In the end, I think he went insane due to not being able to go back home, and the Undreaming did the rest. Still, I didn't feel bad about beating him. Mostly because he killed Crow.

Gabriel turned into one of my favs after he stood up to Helena.

I still don't exactly know what the Undreaming was. It was the counterpart to Lux, but I don't get what the undream was? How was he different from the Baba Yaga? I thought it didn't make a lot of sense, and I liked the Baba Yaga's motivation and her philosophy. 

Zoe's backstory was tragic and sad, and it made me love Gabriel more. I only wish I'd gotten more hints earlier. 

Sahya's death made me laugh. Vamon's even moreso. I didn't really care for Anna, but I was okay with her getting the first stab.

What exactly happened to Mother Utana? We know Kian became the Bloodless King, but did he kill her? I wish it could've been made explicit. I did like his epilogue though. I had him with Saga and Na'ane. 

All in all, I'd say I had a mixed bag of feelings, but I think it was a pretty good game. A bit muddied in it's plot, but fun to play and the backstories of the main characters were really interesting. 

• jestas likes this

#33 Laura

Laura

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:43

Yeah it's good this game came out for Father's Day (in the US). Fathers were definitely more sympathetic in this game than the mums. Like almost everyone didn't have a mum (Saga) or had a crappy mum (Kian, Zoe). 

• agirlnamedbob, Indrid Cold, Mr Moo and 2 others like this

#34 DarkPerson

DarkPerson

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:04

Wait, did I read some of that stuff right?

Spoiler
But How?

#35 Sithoid

Sithoid

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:15

Wait, did I read some of that stuff right?

Spoiler
But How?

Pros and cons, with screenshots (traffic!)

Spoiler

Actually these screenshots blew my mind. Who the hell are Rose and Alvin??? Is he who I think he is? Is she Hanna or Queenie herself?

• Rowan37, Skizzo and robertc like this

#36 Alcarmo

Alcarmo

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:22

I believe Rose and Alvin are those two guys at the very beginning of TLJ - in HOAW where Lady Alvane is telling them a story about April and saving the Ballance :)  

...I will bring more thoughts and feelings from DFC later.... I haven't slept for a whole night... I need some rest after this blow mind hell of a story  :wub: :sotb:  

• Shifterdreamer, Mr Moo, Rowan37 and 2 others like this

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself." - Vestrum Tobias

#37 Sithoid

Sithoid

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:33

I believe Rose and Alvin are those two guys at the very beginning of TLJ - in HOAW where Lady Alvane is telling them a story about April and saving the Ballance :)

...I will bring more thoughts and feelings from DFC later.... I haven't slept for a whole night... I need some rest after this blow mind hell of a story  :wub: :sotb:  

Oh please be right. That would be sooo much better than pairing Peats with... well, anybody.

#38 Kremtopp

Kremtopp

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:54

That was certainly an emotional treat. If you can call being so overwhelmed that you at a certain point completely turn into a puddle of tears, snot and wailing :'D
I am no stranger to crying, but this just broke me.
Lost of other emotions and thoughts as well, but right now everything is so tangled I do not even know where to start.
But damn, just damn

• Rowan37 likes this

#39 Shifterdreamer

Shifterdreamer

Arcadia Native

• Forum Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:46

Oh God, I just saw that my post is repeated like 3 three times! May a moderator delete them (except from the first, of course), please? The forum goes extremely slow for me and I don't really know how that occurred, and it doesn't let me delete them myself either. Thank you so much, and sorry! 

I have a dream... The wolf's not here on a sunny day, the wolf's not here, still I sense him...

#40 deckarde

deckarde

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1740 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:23

I liked that it managed to fit everything from Dreamfall into a timeline that makes sense. But it was very thematically muddled. I don't really know what this game is about, unlike Dreamfall and The Longest Journey.

Though I haven't seen you in a long time
I've been thinking about you now and then.

---

So are we all dreamers and visionaries, let it not be said that this generation left ideas and ideals to the past.

---

It's poetry. The poetry of war.

---

This machine kills fascists.

---

Arm yourselves with what you long for and what you used to dream about

---

One should make his decision within the space of seven breaths.
It is a matter of being determined and having the spirit to break right through to the other side.

---

We must admit in ourselves that our own children's future cannot be built on the misfortunes of others. We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge.

--

The first history was written in the hope of preserving from decay, the remembrance of what men have been.

--

Give us bread and roses too.

---

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users