#221 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 06 July 2016 - 13:32

I felt the same. I was actually quite surprised that so many people seemed to have forgotten the ending of TLJ at that moment. It was the very first thing that I thought of. :mellow:

Same here.

• Snø likes this

#222 cerb998

cerb998

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 20:16

It is lousy in my book, since reincarnation doesn't explain anything to me. Even Saga does not remember everything about April and does not feel her..."upgrade" (btw she even sais she's not good at shifting).
April doesn't even go through a catharsis of sort, during her death. She's just murdered in cold blood...no significance of sort.

And yet the question remains: how did Zoe actually "help" her? Zoe didn't kill her herself. Zoe didn't tell Na'ane to bring the Azadi. She just dreamed herself there to witness.
I remember theorizing she was supposed to witness April's death to then "dream her alive" through her dreaming powers but ofcourse that wasn't it.

I think my disappointment about April's story was that I always wanted Saga to be April, I wanted April to come back, but as Saga grew up I saw that she wasn't. When the real April showed up and the contrast between her and Saga was so obvious, it was just painful. It was like twisting the knife, really driving it home that Saga isn't April any more. And, just like you said, I really wanted April to have a moment of catharsis. April walking into the light with Crow just messed me up.

• yodagreen3, Atrus, MilDal and 1 other like this

#223 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 20:29

I think my disappointment about April's story was that I always wanted Saga to be April, I wanted April to come back, but as Saga grew up I saw that she wasn't. When the real April showed up and the contrast between her and Saga was so obvious, it was just painful. It was like twisting the knife, really driving it home that Saga isn't April any more. And, just like you said, I really wanted April to have a moment of catharsis. April walking into the light with Crow just messed me up.

YES, holy hell yes! 

• the red of the kin likes this

#224 Puggity

Puggity

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 21:06

I liked that Wit basically saves the world with his autism powers. His brain, despite causing challenges for him in other areas, is well-suited to his work and uniquely qualified to deal with the Engine. I also like how readily Zoe thought of him. And it wasn't an in-your-face, "Autism Man to the rescue!" thing. It was just there if you knew what you were seeing.

There was a controversy in Book 1 because Mira is terrible toward him. I think Ragnar answered it perfectly at the time, but if it needed further response, this was ideal. Though I think it would have been written this way with or without the controversy.

My son is on the spectrum, and after learning more about it I discovered I am as well. As he gets older (now 7) I sometimes worry about how I'll teach him he is different, not less. He already knows some things are harder for him than they are for other kids. I can only imagine more positive stories in media will help him with his feelings about himself.

• jestas, the red of the kin, Starseeker and 1 other like this

#225 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 06 July 2016 - 21:22

I liked that Wit basically saves the world with his autism powers. His brain, despite causing challenges for him in other areas, is well-suited to his work and uniquely qualified to deal with the Engine. I also like how readily Zoe thought of him. And it wasn't an in-your-face, "Autism Man to the rescue!" thing. It was just there if you knew what you were seeing.

I thought it was good too! I only wish we could sort of see him!

There was a controversy in Book 1 because Mira is terrible toward him. I think Ragnar answered it perfectly at the time, but if it needed further response, this was ideal. Though I think it would have been written this way with or without the controversy.

I still have problems with this one. I also talked extensively about it on the forum. In my opinion it's "understandable" to have foul language or even, at some point, abusive language in the private of your home. I don't agree with people sympathizing with Mira calling Wit a retard at the work place. To me it's the opposite of being civil...but people seem to often say something like "oh you know: lot's of people do this, they really mean well". Screw that. They don't ...and even if they do, they should not do it in public out of respect for other people.
I have a rule in my life..very simple one: don't do to others what you wouldn't want other do to you. I always try to apply it. And when I don't see it applied I don't try to justify the situation with a "everybody does it: it's cool".
So the team clearly stated they don't like that character but it's part of the story and sometimes, in order to depict reality, you have to also insert these things. That ok. I can pass hat.
What I don't understand is how can people "like" Mira's character, after that.

My son is on the spectrum, and after learning more about it I discovered I am as well. As he gets older (now 7) I sometimes worry about how I'll teach him he is different, not less. He already knows some things are harder for him than they are for other kids. I can only imagine more positive stories in media will help him with his feelings about himself.

Awesome story!!!!

• Corrado5834 likes this

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#226 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:57

What I don't understand is how can people "like" Mira's character, after that.

Actions speak louder than words, and if you look at all she's done for Wit over the years, you can see that she's not actually a scumbag; she just seems like it on the surface.

• Rowan37 likes this

#227 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:07

Actions speak louder than words, and if you look at all she's done for Wit over the years, you can see that she's not actually a scumbag; she just seems like it on the surface.

All good and well, but I'm willing to say she's not a scumbag but she's a very unpleasant person. Hence I don't and never will like her.
Ah, just to make something clear: I do use swear words very often among my close friends...I'm no "saint" ;)
  • Pawlo_86 likes this

#228 TheBigBad1013

TheBigBad1013

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 11 July 2016 - 21:32

So I finally managed to play book 5. I literally had to prepare myself for it mentally and emotionally, just in case things didn't turn out the way I hoped they would.

So what am I feeling now? I guess it is a mix of a whole lot of different emotions. I'm sad that the story is over, but overall I am happy with how things turned out. This book was just packed with so many emotions for me; excitement, happiness, sadness, melancholy...but I absolutely loved it!

Huge thank you to Ragnar and the rest of the team for creating this masterpiece of a story, from beginning to end.

• popcorngal, Indrid Cold, Pawlo_86 and 2 others like this

#229 Jecica

Jecica

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted 27 July 2016 - 19:22

I finished Book 5 weeks ago but I simply had to let my thoughts and feelings settle before I could delve into spoilery parts of this forum... I have questions and yes, I am still confused about many things, but I am also truly content. I can honestly say I rarely felt that way about many experiences in my life, let alone a game.

• agirlnamedbob, Ringtail, Indrid Cold and 2 others like this

"We have seen it all, yes, and we remember. We remember because we pass the stories on, from Harbinger of the Balance to A Rubber Ducky, throughout the centuries. Do you want to hear one of our stories?
Ask us, ask. Ask about
the Pizza, the Thief and the Time..."

#230 Stedmister

Stedmister

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:57

After finishing book 5 (now the whole came is out I like to play ir in one go)

Spoiler

I am satisfied with DFC, and hope Longest Journey Home happens, so many un answered questions,

• Rowan37, Pawlo_86 and Speak&Spell like this

#231 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:20

After finishing book 5 (now the whole came is out I like to play ir in one go)

Spoiler

I am satisfied with DFC, and hope Longest Journey Home happens, so many un answered questions,

He wasn't revived. That can't happen after your neck has been snapped. He died so that he could accompany April on their Longest Journey Home. Like April, Crow was reborn. He's a young chick in the scene in Azadir. In the end, the reincarnation of April and the reincarnation of Crow live in the House of All Worlds.

There was a scene that Ragnar said was cut that explained more about Queenie. Hopefully it will be restored for the complete edition.

I doubt we'll ever find out anything more about Hannah or Hope.

I hope they make a Crow plushy. I don't even like the things, but I'd buy one. I'm not holding my breath, though.

• Adam Jensen likes this

#232 Onias

Onias

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 00:56

Hey, this might seem like a naive question, but is Saga definitely a reincarnation of April? This was the only part of the ending I was dissatisfied with really. I don't think April's story had the same closure all the other characters' stories had:

• What about April's loyal friends in Stark? That was part of her arc and we needed emotional closure on that.
  • What about April's friend, the bar owner in Marcuria, I forget her name? Did she die?
  • What about her personal arc? Her search for a place in the world, her bad relationship with her foster dad and brothers? 

Otherwise, I was blown away by the ending. My enthusiasm for these chapters was diminishing rapidly but the ending had me in tears. I feel that April's story is not done yet though. Ragnar needs to let us know how that ends, one way or another.

#233 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:31

Hey, this might seem like a naive question, but is Saga definitely a reincarnation of April? This was the only part of the ending I was dissatisfied with really. I don't think April's story had the same closure all the other characters' stories had:

• What about April's loyal friends in Stark? That was part of her arc and we needed emotional closure on that.
  • What about April's friend, the bar owner in Marcuria, I forget her name? Did she die?
  • What about her personal arc? Her search for a place in the world, her bad relationship with her foster dad and brothers? 

Otherwise, I was blown away by the ending. My enthusiasm for these chapters was diminishing rapidly but the ending had me in tears. I feel that April's story is not done yet though. Ragnar needs to let us know how that ends, one way or another.

During the epilogue, if you click on the wall in the corner, Saga says something to the effect of, "The white dragon, April, me... Life is not a circle, it's more of a spiral, and there's a very real end to it." I doubt we'll get anything more concrete than this regarding Saga being a reincarnation of April.

If you make certain choices, I forget which ones, it's mentioned that at some point the resistance plans to break Benrime out of prison, but then she's never mentioned again.

April's personal arc was going to be delved into in-depth in the Longest Journey Home, but now it looks like that's almost definitely not going to happen. Hopefully at some point Ragnar will write a novel or short story which covers the story of TLJH, or at least lets us read his outline for the game. We'll see.

• Rowan37 likes this

#234 Onias

Onias

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:46

During the epilogue, if you click on the wall in the corner, Saga says something to the effect of, "The white dragon, April, me... Life is not a circle, it's more of a spiral, and there's a very real end to it." I doubt we'll get anything more concrete than this regarding Saga being a reincarnation of April.

If you make certain choices, I forget which ones, it's mentioned that at some point the resistance plans to break Benrime out of prison, but then she's never mentioned again.

April's personal arc was going to be delved into in-depth in the Longest Journey Home, but now it looks like that's almost definitely not going to happen. Hopefully at some point Ragnar will write a novel or short story which covers the story of TLJH, or at least lets us read his outline for the game. We'll see.

I feel like a petulant, querulous child for whining about the ending after Ragner and his crew expended so much effort into making sure the fans got a sequel. But I really feel we need April's story to be finished. He did say, a long long time ago, that if TLJH was not made he would make a graphic novel or at least tell us what his plans were, and he needs to keep his word on this. Zoe Castillo was a relatable and likeable character but I was more invested in April's story.

#235 Vardark

Vardark

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 21:16

I liked the ending. Now I'm going to wait for the final edition (Director's Cut or what it's called), and play through the game again to collect all my missing achievements.

• jestas likes this

#236 dima_io

dima_io

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 23:05

It was the best story EVER!

The close of the circle.... everything, smallest ditailes align themself. Saga... April... Zoe... Kian... Funny Bird... I shall miss you all

• jestas likes this

#237 popcorngal

popcorngal

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 10 September 2016 - 18:23

Well, fuck.

Couldn't hold out for the boxed set, so finally played all the way through. After seventeen years, along with so many others, I've reached the end. I'm so glad this forum is here because no where else are there people that can grasp how emotionally invested one can become with the characters in the Stark and Acadia worlds.

I feel as though I've got a decent vocabulary, excellent writing skills and an imagination that has gotten me through a lot of tough times. And yet I'm having such a difficult time putting into words just how I'm feeling right now. Empty? Sad? Terribly bittersweet sensation? Even joyful? Considering how much I dislike endings, whether in life, books, movies, games, etc., certainly the sense of emptiness is understandable. Coming to grips with knowing it's all over isn't going to be easy. I'm an exceedingly emotional person so it's not surprising how much I've been crying. :megatear:

Not only because it's over but because of how the story unfolded... a part of me wants to stomp around like a little kid.

Spoiler

Hasn't it been said that the mark of an excellent story is when it's able to evoke emotion? In that respect, Ragnar absolutely succeeded, in my eyes. Just can't help wishing that perhaps the emotions evoked didn't cause so much trauma. :blink:

Kudos, Ragnar...

• Jecica, khh, Ringtail and 6 others like this

"Oh! I was having this weird dream about a big ass turkey wearing a pair of red shoes. And you were there, and he was there, and, and... maybe it wasn't a dream after all?"   :crow:

#238 AaronLannister

AaronLannister

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:11

Well, fuck.

Couldn't hold out for the boxed set, so finally played all the way through. After seventeen years, along with so many others, I've reached the end. I'm so glad this forum is here because no where else are there people that can grasp how emotionally invested one can become with the characters in the Stark and Acadia worlds.

I feel as though I've got a decent vocabulary, excellent writing skills and an imagination that has gotten me through a lot of tough times. And yet I'm having such a difficult time putting into words just how I'm feeling right now. Empty? Sad? Terribly bittersweet sensation? Even joyful? Considering how much I dislike endings, whether in life, books, movies, games, etc., certainly the sense of emptiness is understandable. Coming to grips with knowing it's all over isn't going to be easy. I'm an exceedingly emotional person so it's not surprising how much I've been crying. :megatear:

Not only because it's over but because of how the story unfolded... a part of me wants to stomp around like a little kid.

Spoiler

Hasn't it been said that the mark of an excellent story is when it's able to evoke emotion? In that respect, Ragnar absolutely succeeded, in my eyes. Just can't help wishing that perhaps the emotions evoked didn't cause so much trauma. :blink:

Kudos, Ragnar...

I agree Ragnar did an amazing job, a very underrated game for sure when it comes to an adventure series. The ending was just so good, Saga IMO by far is my most favorite character in the entire series. I absolutely loved the puzzles in the game, It actually brought some challenge unlike the Overrated Tell Tale games. Yeah I know this game is heavily inspired by Tell Tale, but I feel like these developers did a much much better job then TellTale does. I also feel like your choices seem to matter much more in this game then TellTale games. I guess what i'm trying to say is that this actually feels like a game compared to the tell-tale games which are more just interactive movies then anything.

Anyways I absolutely thought the ending was just AMAZING. It was beautiful, and also very intriguing. I Explored every inch of that place!

A Story like this, I also think is not explored well enough, I absolutely think this would make a great T.V. series or movie one day.

• Insulin likes this

#239 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 16:12

It actually brought some challenge unlike the Overrated Tell Tale games. (...) I guess what i'm trying to say is that this actually feels like a game compared to the tell-tale games which are more just interactive movies then anything.

I don't think I've ever played a Tell tale game before. I wonder how many similarities they have.

When you say interactive movie...it intrigues me. In many ways I consider Adventure games like interactive movies because usually the plot is one and you have to solve puzzles, bring items to people, investigate scenes, combine elements...all to progress a story that's been predetermined.

While recent adventure games tend to offer multiple endings (generally 3), I still see them as one story where you can take mainly one path with one main sequence of events and minor deviations along the path.

I actually like the term "interactive movie" and started using it with the videogame Blade Runner, which I literally fell in love with. To me the whole TLJ saga is like an interactive movie :)

• Starseeker likes this

#240 maDSaint

maDSaint

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:22

And so, after 17 years this long journey ends....

I haven't been around these forums for a while, for reasons, but now that I have just finished the last book I still would like to express my love for this story.
And yes, there was a tear or two, if not for the story, it was for realising that it now really ended. Maybe not in the way I hoped it would, but that's the way stories are told, if it always ends the way you want, or expect, what's the use in telling a story anyway?

So, to Ragnar and Dag, and of course all others at RTG, thank you for the amazing experience and above all, inspiration! To the community, thank you for being awesome (most of you).

The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, and Dreamfall Chapters will always have a special place in my heart. Pinky promise!!! 

• Vainamoinen, Ringtail and Mr_Russ like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users