• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dreamer_110

dreamer_110

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 14:25

I purchased Dreamfall Chapters a few months ago and the game constantly crashes. I am using PC and it runs on Windows 7. I had purchased more memory for the computer thinking that that was the problem but the game still crashes.  Please tell me if there is a way to fix the problem or else I would like to know if you can refund my money.  Thank you. :(

#2 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 11 June 2016 - 15:40

If you could post the log from the game after it crashes, and your system specifications, that would help us help you. :)

#3 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 11 June 2016 - 16:35

...specs and and where you bought the game so we know what version you are dealing with. And if you want a refund, you need to ask the people you bought it from.

If you are using steam, use the 'verify integrity of the game cache' under the games local files options menu. That is always the first thing to try.

#4 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 19:17

Yeah steam doesn't check if it downloads files correctly for some reason. I've had a few games that were crashy and it ended up being a corrupted download. Checking for corruption really doesn't take long to do so I am not sure why it's not the default behaviour for a newly downloaded game.

#5 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 11 June 2016 - 21:25

Yeah steam doesn't check if it downloads files correctly for some reason. I've had a few games that were crashy and it ended up being a corrupted download. Checking for corruption really doesn't take long to do so I am not sure why it's not the default behaviour for a newly downloaded game.

Yeah, that's one of many reasons why I prefer GOG to Steam. At least GOG has a check box you can check to verify file integrity before installation.

#6 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 13 June 2016 - 14:02

I purchased Dreamfall Chapters a few months ago and the game constantly crashes. I am using PC and it runs on Windows 7. I had purchased more memory for the computer thinking that that was the problem but the game still crashes.  Please tell me if there is a way to fix the problem or else I would like to know if you can refund my money.  Thank you. :(

I think the most valuable information to get from you right off the bat is if the Windows 7 installation is 32- or 64-bit. 
If it's 32-bit it doesn't really matter if you upgraded your RAM from e.g. 4GB to 8GB as applications on 32-bit Windows are not allowed to allocate more than ~2GB of memory.

If this is in fact the case you can find the instructions of a way to increase this limit to ~3GB - which should be sufficient - in this section of the FAQ.

(You can check the type of your system by going to Control Panel -> System. The "System Type" field indicate if your system is 32- or 64-bit.) :)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#7 dreamer_110

dreamer_110

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 14:17

Hey  i send you all things you ask me about my computer system specs this are the things the you ask me  (amount of RAM, video card and CPU details, etc.) along with the output_log.txt file located in the Dreamfall folder, we’ll take a look at this and try to help you out! . I email you back from Jan 22,2016 and I received your Respond on Feb 5,2016 I haven't hear from you what going happen about my game of Dream Fall Chapter if you going to help me to fix the problem of the game that keep on crashes me. i writing to you again it  May 30,2016 I  have not received no respond from you I will like know what is going to happen with my game. I have writing to you again is 6/15/20016 and i have not received not respond from you about my Game DreamFall Chapter i will like to know what is going on about my game if your going to help me with this problem on my Game DreamFall Chapter please help with it i will like to playing is so so much please help me to fix the game.

Please tell me if there is a way to fix the problem or else I would like you can refund my money back to me please let me know. thank you 
This all the things that my computer have? 

I have on the video card EVGA  GT 740 4GB  on my CPU I have intel core i5- 4460 LGA 1150. also my RAM  16.0GB and windows 7 32bit  
my output _log.txt file it's located on Local Disk (C:\Program files\steam\steamapps\common\Dreamfall Chapters_Data

please help with this game Dreamfall Chapter 

#8 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 15:05

Hey  i send you all things you ask me about my computer system specs this are the things the you ask me  (amount of RAM, video card and CPU details, etc.) along with the output_log.txt file located in the Dreamfall folder, we’ll take a look at this and try to help you out! . I email you back from Jan 22,2016 and I received your Respond on Feb 5,2016 I haven't hear from you what going happen about my game of Dream Fall Chapter if you going to help me to fix the problem of the game that keep on crashes me. i writing to you again it  May 30,2016 I  have not received no respond from you I will like know what is going to happen with my game. I have writing to you again is 6/15/20016 and i have not received not respond from you about my Game DreamFall Chapter i will like to know what is going on about my game if your going to help me with this problem on my Game DreamFall Chapter please help with it i will like to playing is so so much please help me to fix the game.

Please tell me if there is a way to fix the problem or else I would like you can refund my money back to me please let me know. thank you 
This all the things that my computer have? 

I have on the video card EVGA  GT 740 4GB  on my CPU I have intel core i5- 4460 LGA 1150. also my RAM  16.0GB and windows 7 32bit  
my output _log.txt file it's located on Local Disk (C:\Program files\steam\steamapps\common\Dreamfall Chapters_Data

please help with this game Dreamfall Chapter 

dreamer_110 

You have Windows 32 bit so try what Morten says to remedy the problem:

I think the most valuable information to get from you right off the bat is if the Windows 7 installation is 32- or 64-bit. 
If it's 32-bit it doesn't really matter if you upgraded your RAM from e.g. 4GB to 8GB as applications on 32-bit Windows are not allowed to allocate more than ~2GB of memory.

If this is in fact the case you can find the instructions of a way to increase this limit to ~3GB - which should be sufficient - in this section of the FAQ.

(You can check the type of your system by going to Control Panel -> System. The "System Type" field indicate if your system is 32- or 64-bit.) :)

• Morten likes this

#9 dreamer_110

dreamer_110

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 16:10

my field indicate of my system is 32-bit  Please tell me if there is a way to fix the problem my output _log.txt file it's located on Local Disk (C:\Program files\steam\steamapps\common\Dreamfall Chapters_Data

#10 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 June 2016 - 16:21

Hi dreamer_110, 

As was stated above, the first solution to try is the one that Morten linked to, but I'll just copy and paste it here if it's easier. :) 

Out of memory crashes on 32-bit Windows systems:
For playing Dreamfall Chapters, our minimum requirements state that your computer should have more than 3 GB of RAM, but we also highly recommend that your computer has more RAM than this available.
Also, a 64-bit operating system is actually required for any program to be able to access more than ~3 GB of RAM (https://en.wikipedia...ki/3_GB_barrier).

Therefore, if you have a 32-bit operating system, you may experience occasional out-of-memory crashes whilst playing the game. Please be advised that for all issues regarding out-of-memory crashes we advise you to:

• Close any additional programs running in the background that is not needed while playing the game, to free up memory.
  • Turn down in-game graphics settings, especially the Visual/Graphics Quality setting, to reduce memory usage. We also recommend restarting the game after changing the Visual/Graphics Quality setting.

Additionally, there is a known method for allowing applications to use additional RAM in 32-bit operating systems which may help reduce/eliminate out-of-memory crashes.
To enable this, please click the link below and follow the instructions under the "Instructions for allowing applications to use more RAM in 32-bit operating systems"-spoiler in the first post:

Link: http://www.techpower...s-aware.112556/
Please note that the instructions in the Windows 7 section also applies to Windows 8 users.
To find/open the Command Prompt on Windows 8, you can open the start-menu, write "cmd.exe" and follow the rest of the instructions listed.

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#11 InnocentLast

InnocentLast

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 19:45

The game runs fine until the Redux update. Never had problems but since now update I had no chance to play my save.

I installed it again, test integrity and run as admin every time...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users