Photo
- - - - -

Saved games are there but the game doesn't see them.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrLyle

MrLyle

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:17

Mac user here. When the first book came out, I played through it and decided to only come back to it once the all the rest of the books came out. Now that book 5 is coming out, I figured I'd continue playing. Downloaded the latest release and fired it up, only to find the game doesn't see any of my saves. I looked around and found them in ~/Library/Application Support/unity.Red Thread Games.Dreamfall Chapters.

That folder has an Autosave folder and a StoryFlags.data file. I checked the modified dates and they're all from April 3rd and 4th 2015 when I was playing book one. When I launched the game, I didn't have a continue option, just a new game. I started a new game to see what would happen and it created an autosave file, but that file didn't overwrite the ones I already had. Actually I can't find it anywhere. I'm guessing if I find it and overwrite that location with the files from April 2015, all will be well. Any idea where it might be? I checked all the places in the FAQ, but the folder I listed is the only folder that had anything relating to dreamfall.

Edit: I found where the new saves go. They go in ~Library/Application Support/com.redthreadgames.dreamfallchaptersmac

So I took the saves from ~/Library/Application Support/unity.Red Thread Games.Dreamfall Chapters and copied them over to that folder. All is right in the world. Might wanna add that to FAQ.

• khh likes this

#2 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:40

Yeah, Morten mentioned that they changed the save location for the Windows version when they released book 2. I don't remember if anything was mentioned about the Mac version, or the Linux version, either, for that matter.

#3 MrLyle

MrLyle

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 15:31

Yeah, Morten mentioned that they changed the save location for the Windows version when they released book 2. I don't remember if anything was mentioned about the Mac version, or the Linux version, either, for that matter.

They did mention the location changed on the Mac side as well, however the location they have listed in the FAQ is inaccurate. It might have been right at one point, and it might still be right for older versions of OSX, but on the current version, 10.11, it's not where they say it is on the FAQ.

#4 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 11 June 2016 - 17:58

First of all, I'm happy that you managed to sort out the problem!

I see that the FAQ indicates several location changes for the Mac version. I think the location has mainly been updated by us moderators as we see people reporting these things. But it also says that the game should be able to read the older savegames from the older folders. So something still seems a bit strange to me here.

Anyhow, for now I have added the location you found, MrLyle, but didn't remove the older info as I really don't know enough about this to feel comfortable removing the location currently stated in the FAQ.

• khh likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#5 MrLyle

MrLyle

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 18:25

First of all, I'm happy that you managed to sort out the problem!

I see that the FAQ indicates several location changes for the Mac version. I think the location has mainly been updated by us moderators as we see people reporting these things. But it also says that the game should be able to read the older savegames from the older folders. So something still seems a bit strange to me here.

Anyhow, for now I have added the location you found, MrLyle, but didn't remove the older info as I really don't know enough about this to feel comfortable removing the location currently stated in the FAQ.

Yeah, it would be unwise to remove the old locations just in case others are on older versions of the OS. The problem is that there are many possible configuations. It seems like the save locations were changed because of the switch to unity as well as the version of OSX that a user might be running. Best to keep all the locations in the FAQ so a potential user who ran into this problem can look at all the various locations. Thanks for updating the FAQ.

• Tina and khh like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users