Photo
- - - - -

Dreamfall makes my PC restart

Best Answer SXERyan , 13 June 2016 - 05:48

Installed GPU-Z, according to the hardware specs my video card normally idles at 83c, and GPU-Z was telling me it was a bit warmer during games. For kicks I took the panel off my PC and turned my AC on (I just have a window unit in my room and Texas gets pretty warm this time of year) thinking it would keep the temperature down if overheating is in fact the source of the problem. So far I've played through 2 episodes without a problem so I'm guessing this was in fact the source. As to why this game got the temperature rising, who knows? Might be the game engine, might be the video card but at least the main source has been found and I can play it without issue. Might be due for a new case with better fans though, I've had the same one since 2008

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SXERyan

SXERyan

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:35

So I did some troubleshooting myself and looking at the forums and a lot of people seem to be having SIMILAR problems but none of the solutions are working. Basically ever since I started the game would sporadically crash, and not just to the desktop but the entire computer would cut off and spontaneously restart. Sometimes I could be playing as little as 5 minutes, and most recently I went 3 hours before it happened. It happens in wide open spaces where a lots going on and it happens in slow small areas where it's just Zoe in her apartment, there doesn't seem to be a clear trigger here. Here's the specs, I know I'm meeting the requirements

Windows 10 64-bit

Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti 

16GB Ram

asinine amount of hard drive space

850W power supply

My first thought was the power supply. Ran an event search and sure enough there was a log of the PC suffering a Kernel-Power problem ID41 (63). My PC can run modern games high graphics no problem, the new Doom doesn't give me any trouble, I even ran a benchmark on the new Thief to see if maybe taxing the system would cause a shut off but no luck. I've turned off V-sync, I've ran it on lower graphics, lower resolution, my graphics card is up to date (I even updated it today) and NOTHING has worked I'm kind of at a loss. If anyone has ideas I'd appreciate it

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:49

It sounds to like your GPU might be overheating. Do you have vsync enabled?

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 SXERyan

SXERyan

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:35

Nope, vsync is off. The GPU overrhearing was one of my thoughts as well, but why would it over heat with this game and not others? I have no trouble with games that are far more taxing

#4 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:23

DFC will tax your gpu just as much as any other game. Also you can't compare fancy AAA games to ones made with unity. It's just not a fair comparison performance wise.

Anyway, v-sync should be on as a general rule. If that doesn't fix your issue post back.
  • khh likes this

#5 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 20:49

Doom engine is made by seasoned veterans and unity.....isn't.

Anyways since Nvidia's control panel for some baffling reason cannot monitor temps you will need to grab something like GPU-Z to do it.

Also still possible it's CPU overheating or a PSU problem. Certainly sounds like a hardware issue to me.

#6 SXERyan

SXERyan

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:18

Doom engine is made by seasoned veterans and unity.....isn't.

Anyways since Nvidia's control panel for some baffling reason cannot monitor temps you will need to grab something like GPU-Z to do it.

Also still possible it's CPU overheating or a PSU problem. Certainly sounds like a hardware issue to me.

CPU is less than a year old, haven't had any other symptoms along that line but you're right I shouldn't rule it out. I'll download GPU-Z and see if that tells me anything

#7 SXERyan

SXERyan

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:48   Best Answer

Installed GPU-Z, according to the hardware specs my video card normally idles at 83c, and GPU-Z was telling me it was a bit warmer during games. For kicks I took the panel off my PC and turned my AC on (I just have a window unit in my room and Texas gets pretty warm this time of year) thinking it would keep the temperature down if overheating is in fact the source of the problem. So far I've played through 2 episodes without a problem so I'm guessing this was in fact the source. As to why this game got the temperature rising, who knows? Might be the game engine, might be the video card but at least the main source has been found and I can play it without issue. Might be due for a new case with better fans though, I've had the same one since 2008

• Mr Moo likes this

#8 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:07

I'm not sure how much it varies by what part of the state you're in, but I've heard that Texas is also quite humid, and water + electronics = damaged electronics. If you have a window unit, I assume it doesn't double as a dehumidifier, and if that's the case, I recommend buying a dehumidifier, in addition to a new case. I don't know how humid it is where you live, but if it's above about 77% on a regular basis, you need a dehumidifier. You could also cross-check dehumidifier prices against portable AC units which also double as dehumidifiers. They can be run as dedicated dehumidifiers, and when they're running as AC units, they also dehumidify at the same time. You could always use it as a dehumidifier in the room where your PC is located and then move it into a different room and use it as an AC unit if you wanted to. When it's set to strictly dehumidify, it doesn't need to vent out the window. I just bought a portable AC unit/dehumidifier/fan and will hook it up sometime within the next few days. This is the time to buy one because it's when everyone wants to buy one so they're on sale.

#9 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 June 2016 - 16:46

The fan and cooling fins are probably full of dust. You could try to buy some canned air and clean it. 83 degrees celsius is way, way too high for idle, that's supposed to be the max temperature for that card. Idle should be closer to 60. But there might also be poor air flow in the case, yeah.

And lastly you should make sure you have vertical sync enabled - otherwise your GPU will keep rendering as many frames as it can, even if your monitor doesn't refresh fast enough to display them (vertical sync sets an upper frame rate limit equal to the refresh rate of your monitor).

• Mr Moo likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users