• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#41 Sophia

Sophia

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 00:58

I'm gonna play it from scratch. And then again. And again. I already clocked 60 hours AFTER I installed GOG Galaxy, a few more dozens of hours won't make a difference.  :P

Latest blog post: s.png?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.feedburner.

#42 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:34

I will definitely replay the whole thing (probably a few times) once it's done. I'll probably go back and replay Book One sometime after I finish Book Five. And then I'll replay the whole thing again after they patch in any additional changes/content later. 

I'm just not sure I could handle waiting to play Book Five until after I've replayed. My self control isn't that good. ...And then there's also the fact that I like to try to get through the Book as fast as possible after it comes out so I can moderate this place without spoilering myself. :P Especially this time around. 

• Tina, Carla, Ringtail and 2 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#43 Sophia

Sophia

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:03

Hehe yes I can see the benefits of that :D Luckily I'm in a position where I can pace myself and postpone that sad feeling of "it's all over" as long as possible...
  • agirlnamedbob likes this

Latest blog post: s.png?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.feedburner.

#44 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:33

After 10 years, it damn right should be over. :)

I just wish TLJH will be also complete before 20 years have passed from the original, which currently seems unlikely

• Nathanael likes this

#45 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:37

wait....You guys are talking about something I must have missed. They're...redoing the beginning? Beg your pardon: I don't understand.

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#46 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:39

wait....You guys are talking about something I must have missed. They're...redoing the beginning? Beg your pardon: I don't understand.

Ragnar said that the team redid book 1, and that it will be released along with book 5. It's apparently the reason why it's taken so damned long for them to complete book 5.

• CosmicD, Pawlo_86 and the red of the kin like this

#47 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:42

°_°

why....

just why....

oh well

• CosmicD likes this

#48 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:53

°_°

why....

just why....

oh well

A ton of people pledged to not play any of the game until all of it is available, some players won't find out about it until the book 5 press gets underway, and the new version of book 1 supposedly is a more inviting experience. Whether or not this turns out to be true/for the best is one thing; my point is that it's RTG's explanation for why it's taken so long to release book 5. Personally I'd rather they'd just released book 5 and then gone back and fixed the previous episodes. The fact that they gave book 1 what sounds like a major overhaul leads me to believe that they believe that they fucked it up so badly that it needed to be fixed before it's played by players whom have waited until book 5 is released and also reviewers whom will review the entire game from book 1-5.

#49 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:59

Ragnar said that the team redid book 1, and that it will be released along with book 5. It's apparently the reason why it's taken so damned long for them to complete book 5.

Actually, upon further thought, I take this back. The fact that it took so damned long for the cast to record their voiceovers leads me to believe that Ragnar and company realized that it was going to take a very long time for them to be able to finish book 5, and while waiting for that to happen, they could either twiddle their thumbs or re-do book 1. Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

• Tina, Chocobo_sage and Sophia like this

#50 Guyra

Guyra

Vestrum Herald

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:02

Personally, I don't mind that they spent more time to release Book 5 because of a major overhaul of Book 1. A couple of months to or fro is nothing when you've waited roughly ten years for a game, in my opinion. :) 

Actually, upon further thought, I take this back. The fact that it took so damned long for the cast to record their voiceovers leads me to believe that Ragnar and company realized that it was going to take a very long time for them to be able to finish book 5, and while waiting for that to happen, they could either twiddle their thumbs or re-do book 1. Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

That makes sense. :) 

#51 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:04

A ton of people pledged to not play any of the game until all of it is available, some players won't find out about it until the book 5 press gets underway, and the new version of book 1 supposedly is a more inviting experience. Whether or not this turns out to be true/for the best is one thing; my point is that it's RTG's explanation for why it's taken so long to release book 5. Personally I'd rather they'd just released book 5 and then gone back and fixed the previous episodes. The fact that they gave book 1 what sounds like a major overhaul leads me to believe that they believe that they fucked it up so badly that it needed to be fixed before it's played by players whom have waited until book 5 is released and also reviewers whom will review the entire game from book 1-5.

I was going to be part of that "ton of people", back in 2014. But in the end I decided not to.
I don't see what could possibily be the reason for redoing book 1, since it got only positive reviews.

But...butbutbutbut...(butts! yeah!)

There is in fact a whole thread where we pointed out lots of nice improvements that could be done on the game. I didn't believe they would implement any suggestions regarding the plot itself. I was thinking more along the way of game mechanics/tech glitches/save system....

maybe cut some dialogues?

Certainly not rewrite parts of the story...meaning I certainly wouldn't have to replay the whole game to get what's happening in book 5 since book 1 would have been changed.

*head explodes*

(..) and while waiting for that to happen, they could either twiddle their thumbs or re-do book 1. Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

I think they'd concentrate on the new game Draugen instead...or on DFC's extras like the Art gallery in Propast. But you're right: this could be.

#52 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:53

Before this gets any farther: the update was specifically for the intro.  We don't know how extensive the changes beyond that are. 

Ragnar used the term "redesigned", but offered no context to exactly what that meant.  It will definitely include graphic updates made possible by Unity 5.  We can't make any assumptions beyond that.

Ragnar mentioned wanting to go back and clean up some of the dialogue, and maybe change some of the pacing.  But that's more the kind of changes you might see from a editing standpoint.  It is NOT going to fundamentally alter the story.  Certainly not to the point that we won't understand what's going to in Book5.

• Tina, bongboy and the red of the kin like this

#53 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:07

Just as I thought: nice   :)

#54 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:04

IIRC Book 1 received mixed reviews. The most common complaint was that it was too slow paced.

Although that's how RTG intended artistically for the book to go, the negative reviews and their now gained experience caused them to decided to improve on that point, which is probably what he meant by "pacing" improvements.

I actually think it's a good idea. Especially if they have the funds to do it.

#55 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:20

IIRC Book 1 received mixed reviews. The most common complaint was that it was too slow paced.

Although that's how RTG intended artistically for the book to go, the negative reviews and their now gained experience caused them to decided to improve on that point, which is probably what he meant by "pacing" improvements.

I actually think it's a good idea. Especially if they have the funds to do it.

The reviews (at the time) weren't 10 out of 10 but generally above 8, which is pretty darn good. They changed over time, due to episodic format.

I agree: the general feedback is that the pace was a little slow. Personally, I also stated that the book ended right when I was starting to feel the story pick up the pace.

My opinion is that what's done is done and there should be no more meddling with content. No more than a couple of cuts in dialogues.
Anything more than that should go in a "director's cut" edition, in my opinion.

• bongboy likes this

#56 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:35

I remember someone I know bashing the game when I tried to recommend it, saying it got a not too high score for book 1.

I actually had to counter his arguments with data from steam and GOG reviews (since book 3 was already out and reviews accumulated).

I can understand why RTG would like to make a better first impression, and there's the bonus that next time I play from the beginning, it will actually the first time I play that version of book 1.

For someone who played book 1 more times than he wants to remember (due to continuous crashes), that would actually be nice :)

• the red of the kin likes this

#57 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1863 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:54

I remember someone I know bashing the game when I tried to recommend it, saying it got a not too high score for book 1.

I actually had to counter his arguments with data from steam and GOG reviews (since book 3 was already out and reviews accumulated).

Some people just wont buy a game unless it gets 90%. Everyone thinks 70% is the lowest score you can give a game these days, and that it would be unplayable.

Having said that, I would agree the first part is really the weakest part of the game. I think it would be improved by upping the pace a little. That is if we ignore some of the more obvious issues with that intro/tutorial part of the game.

Will be interesting to see/hear if any of the voice work was redone for that part.

#58 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 June 2016 - 13:29

My understanding is that they're not reworking the story so much as they're reworking gameplay (and maybe some story delivery methods). The plot isn't changing. But some scenes may be altered or whatever to improve narrative flow and user experience.

So like.... don't panic. :P
  • Tina and bongboy like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#59 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 06 June 2016 - 13:36

Here's the tweet in question, just to clarify what was said.

• agirlnamedbob and bongboy like this

#60 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 06 June 2016 - 14:30

My understanding is that they're not reworking the story so much as they're reworking gameplay (and maybe some story delivery methods). The plot isn't changing. But some scenes may be altered or whatever to improve narrative flow and user experience.

So like.... don't panic. :P

Yep, this.

I doubt the actual story is reworked, except perhaps some cuts and smaller changes here and there. Maybe some scenes have been redesigned, but that's very likely non-crucial scenes (story wise).

And yeah, there were a lot of complaints about pacing in Book 1, and I suspect they've taken that to heart. In the good way, not in the "forced to change due to feedback" way :)

• agirlnamedbob and bongboy like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, kickstarter update, update 97, redux, release date

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users