• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 awuf

awuf

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:41

Purchased Dreamfall Chapters through Steam.

The game has started to crash on a regular basis - every session.

Attached is the "Outputlog.txt" file.

Any ideas ?

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:02

Hey awuf!

Sorry you're having issues. :(

I just want to preface this by saying I'm just a moderator. I'm not a developer. One of them may have some additional thoughts in the morning. But taking a quick peek at your output log it looks like there's some sort of graphics error, if I'm reading it right. So my first suggestion would be to check and see if there's a driver update for your graphics card. I'd also verify the integrity of your game cache in Steam just to make sure there isn't some file error causing the glitch. (You can do this by right clicking the game in your library, selecting Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity.) 

If none of that works, could you post your computer's specs? That would probably be helpful. Also, if any sort of crash log is being generated beyond the output_log, posting that would be helpful. :)

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:35

There's no stack trace in the log you attached, which generally means that the application didn't crash on its own, but rather it was force closed/stopped by some other means or the rendering pipeline encountered an error.

The "graphics error" that agirlnamedbob mentioned in in fact just what gets written to the console when you've alt-tabbed out of the game while in fullscreen/exclusive mode (basically it's just a message saying that the application can't render to the screen at that time as it is not the process currently in control of the gfx device).

At the point where you return to your game (alt-tab back in), there is a similar message, but this one is the "reset" message. It resets the application's connection to the gfx device and can then resume rendering.

That said, most of the times when the game crashes on us is in fact when the game tries to handle either the "lost" or "reset" states. This is just because of something in the exclusive mode/gfx device handling done by Unity in the background (which we have no control over) goes wrong and gets in a faulty state, which makes the whole pipeline fail. 

The log/engine can even report that it has successfully "reset" the device, but still crash one or two frames in.

The general way this goes is --> Alt-tab/refocus the game -> application takes over screen/gfx device (looks like a black screen for a second) -> either a couple or no frames gets rendered -> application crashes without any crash handling or obvious errors in the log.

The log you (awuf) attached pretty much clearly depicts this very type of crash. It's very unfortunate, but it's not something we can control from our end I'm afraid.

This issue has been present in the engine since support for exclusive fullscreen mode became available. I have no estimate as to when they might fix it, but I know they are aware of it and hopefully they'll be able to work it out.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#4 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:52

Just as a small addition to the above, this post on Reddit pretty much sums up the pro's and con's of exclusive fullscreen vs. borderless windowed modes (couldn't find any good Wiki sites on the subject from a quick Google search).

Unity also doesn't support an application being able to switch between exclusive mode and borderless windowed. As we build the game, we have to choose one of them.

Initially we released DFC with borderless windowed as the fullscreen mode, as we knew about the possible issues may come from exclusive mode. However, there was a lot of people in our community wanting the game to render in exclusive mode as this would allow for extra features (Gsync/freesync, slightly better performance on low end GPUs, better resolution support, etc..). Also, at the time, most of the screen capture applications out there only supported capture via exclusive mode.

So that's some of what made us switch to using exclusive mode as the fullscreen rendering option.

Now, I have to say that I'm not really blaming Unity and their exclusive mode/rendering/gfx handling here. This issue is something that many games (not only Unity games) have issues with, as alt-tabbing - basically switching back and forth between what is in control of a gfx device/rendering to monitor - is very unpredictable. 

• agirlnamedbob likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 June 2016 - 22:22

It is possible for the users to make the the game run in borderless fullscreen.

First you have to disable the fullscreen option in the game (make the game run in normal windowed mode - if you can't get into the game to set this there are workarounds). Then in open Steam and in the Library right click Dreamfall Chapters and select Properties. Under the General tab there's a button called "Set launch options...", click this and set it to -popupwindow (including the dash). The game should then launch without borders, and if you set the resolution to your monitor resolution it's playing in borderless fullscreen.

If the crashes are caused by the problems Morten outline, this could solve the issue.

• Morten, NeilClaimer and ShadowNate like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#6 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 June 2016 - 13:56

It is possible for the users to make the the game run in borderless fullscreen.

First you have to disable the fullscreen option in the game (make the game run in normal windowed mode - if you can't get into the game to set this there are workarounds). Then in open Steam and in the Library right click Dreamfall Chapters and select Properties. Under the General tab there's a button called "Set launch options...", click this and set it to -popupwindow (including the dash). The game should then launch without borders, and if you set the resolution to your monitor resolution it's playing in borderless fullscreen.

If the crashes are caused by the problems Morten outline, this could solve the issue.

You, sir, are totally correct.  ^_^ Good idea!

• NeilClaimer likes this

#7 awuf

awuf

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 20:27

Thanks everyone for your detailed responses. Adding the "-popupwindow" and unchecking Fullscreen allowed the game to continue and run for a while - at least in Europolis. However, the game still locked up about an hour into the game. After restarting the PC, about 15 minutes into the game, the PC spontaneously rebooted. The PC specs are: 4790K (core overclocked to 5 GHz, uncore is 4.4 GHz) - Does not crash in AIDA64 benchmarks Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz 8GB (overclocked to 2200 MHz with tighter timings. The memory will be replaced with a 16GB 2400 MHz kit next week. MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G (not overclocked - shockingly ... yet) Samsung 840 Pro SSD Asus VG248QE monitor Sound Blaster Z Logitech M705 and Marathon mouse Microsoft Xbox One wireless controller with wireless PC adapter

#8 awuf

awuf

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 20:29

Thanks everyone for your detailed responses.

Adding the "-popupwindow" and unchecking Fullscreen allowed the game to continue and run for a while - at least in Europolis.

However, the game still locked up about an hour into the game.

After restarting the PC, about 15 minutes into the game, the PC spontaneously rebooted.

The PC specs are:

4790K (core overclocked to 5 GHz, uncore is 4.4 GHz) - Does not crash in AIDA64 benchmarks

Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz 8GB (overclocked to 2200 MHz with tighter timings. The memory will be replaced with a 16GB 2400 MHz kit next week.

MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G (not overclocked - shockingly ... yet)

Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Asus VG248QE monitor

Sound Blaster Z

Logitech M705 and Marathon mouse

Microsoft Xbox One wireless controller with wireless PC adapter

Attach is an updated output_log.txt and an MSINFO32 configuration file.

#9 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 06 June 2016 - 13:47

Hard to say what's happening to be honest.. But it's definitely something that just aborts the whole application.

Are you running any anti-virus software?

Usually if the application crashes "on its own" you'll get a prompt from the OS and some automatically generated error dumps. At least there should be something in the game's log file, which yours do not have.

From your log this looks pretty much the same as what happens when the application exceeds the maximum allowed amount of memory allocated (except the obvious mem alloc errors that is).

Are you running a on 32-bit Windows by chance? (Highly unlikely with regards to your specs and the output in the logs, but just thought I'd ask).

#10 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 June 2016 - 21:05

Normally, when encountering a blue screen of death (BSOD), Windows writes a kernel crash dump and then immediately reboots. If you change this to writing a small memory dump, as noted here (you may keep automatically restart enabled if you wish), then you may use a tool called BlueScreenView to view these files. Don't know if you need to restart to enable this setting, but I do it just to be safe. Then play DFC again, and if it restarts again, there could be a minidump to look at with BlueScreenView. And it could be informative.

Overclocked systems spontaneously rebooting isn't unheard of, just saying. Try running the game with hardware at factory settings and see if it crashes the same way?

And/or verify that the PC runs fine with other benchmark tools as well, and not only with AIDA64. Do have some temperature monitoring set up when running Intel Burn Test, so you see that your cooling setup does it's job - or abort if you see that things go very wrong.

Intel Burn Test still seems to be regarded as one of the best CPU stress testers.If the PC still hasn't crashed and/or rebooted after some hours, then it is in all likelihood stable.

Memtest86+ is a very comprehensive memory testing tool. Should run for at least 8 hours without any failures of any kind.

• Morten likes this

#11 awuf

awuf

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:44

Morten,

Running Windows 10 64-bit.

#12 awuf

awuf

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:21

Mr. Moo,

Thanks for the detailed response.

After making three changes, the game hasn't crashed since.

The first change involved a minor reduction in overclocking. The current configuration passes Aida64 5.70, Passmark's Performance Test 8.0 and Asus RealBench 2.43.

The second change was a 180 MB update from Steam.

The third change was a doubling of system memory.

As to which was most responsible, I'd guess it was the overclocking since that's most likely to cause BSODs.

I was also able to get the Fullscreen option working without using the -popupwindow startup parameter.

I haven't monitored for temperatures yet, but I can check that if trouble occurs later.

• Tina and bongboy like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crash, dreamfall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users