#801 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 August 2014 - 21:51

You're getting "soft", Vainamoinen.  ;)

Soon you'll be singing praises to Steam, lol.

In all seriousness though, what V (and Ragnar) said is 100% accurate. First of all, people will only be able to buy a "Season Pass", which means all 5 episodes upfront. Thus failing to deliver on what is already *bought* would be beyond disastrous (in addition to the Kickstarter "fallout"), so there's no way in hell RTG would allow that to happen. But there's very little reason to worry of something like that occuring (as likely as a meteor hitting downtown Oslo, I'd say), since -as with everything else- things are never "black and white" or "yes or no", but there's a whole lot between the two edges. Atrociously bad sales *would* negatively affect the sidestories and the extra content put into the last episodes (which would be a shame), but the main story WILL be delivered as planned.

What he said.

But yeah, atrociously bad sales would have a detrimental effect on books three and onwards — not to the point of breaking the story, but we wouldn't be able to put as much time and love into those books as we will with the first two (which are 95% and 70% done). So we're really, really hoping for decent+ sales. I mean, we're hoping for GREAT sales, of course, but I'm a Negative Nancy* and I like to worry and prepare for the worst. I'm a very, very cautious optimist.

In other words: go forth and spread the word! Tell people about the game! Be our crusaders! We'll give you badges and fancy names!

* I'm not sure why Nancy gets all the shit. One time, one time, she had a bad day and she was all doom & gloom, and from that point on they called her Negative Nancy. It's bloody unfair, is what it is.

• Edreamer Jamil, MichaelH, agirlnamedbob and 9 others like this

#802 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 31 August 2014 - 22:32

I do give GREAT massages.

Oh, I dunno. As McLuhan said, the massage is medium.
  • wandrew likes this

#803 Forwyn

Forwyn

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationGiżycko, Poland.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 23:13

Aaaand it's me again..

I wanted to ask two questions.. First :  What about polish version of a game? Will we be able to play DF:C with polish localization from Book One?

And second one.. What about steam cards of the game? I would love to  have steam's Dreamfall Chapters badge, profile wallpaper and emoticons :)

#804 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:13

Aaaand it's me again..

I wanted to ask two questions.. First :  What about polish version of a game? Will we be able to play DF:C with polish localization from Book One?

And second one.. What about steam cards of the game? I would love to  have steam's Dreamfall Chapters badge, profile wallpaper and emoticons :)

Steam cards: yes.

Polish version: we've had to renegotiate based on the episodic model, but we hope to have a Polish translation in place at some point.

#805 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:20

Aaaand it's me again..

I think that Polish version of Dreamfall Chapters will release after Book 5. Sadly but it is most possible solution.

#806 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:42

IIRC the Polish version is made with help from the GOG/CDP guys - I really hope they can do it themselves, and quickly at that.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#807 Forwyn

Forwyn

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationGiżycko, Poland.

Posted 01 September 2014 - 13:06

I see. I hope we will get DF:C polish version from beginning. But i'm still buying DF:C at launch no matter what. 

Thank you guys for answers :)

• Vainamoinen likes this

#808 Dreamshock

Dreamshock

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 16:53

I think Ragnar is focusing too much on forum posters. Forum posters are always thirsty for attention, believing their comments to have actual impact on game development. As kind and patient as the RTG moderators are, they should observe the official moderators on Blizzard forums. They only respond when absolutely necessary and they do well not to encourage trolling behavior. It's really an act of public relations.

#809 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 17:14

Oh, we appreciate Ragnar's constant communication with the community a whole, whole lot. Actually, that is probably a huge part of the fun for him. And I guess we're trying very hard to keep it that way.

Activision Blizzard is a billion dollar company. Their developers can't just enter some forum and talk to their customer base. Not because they don't want to - but because they could not ever handle the requests, and because they couldn't say anything informative before they hadn't thoroughly talked to their PR about it.

The personal dev contact to the community is THE argument for smaller studios. It is THE argument for episodic games as well – if you can't convince your community that what they're writing up is read and somehow considered for future episodes, you can't really justify an episodic release. Back in Telltale's early days... oh, forget it, I won't ramble. But from 2006 to 2011, Jake Rodkin alone had amassed almost 6,000 forum posts.

And the community appreciated it. Oh. so. appreciated. However Telltale may look like today, this was what really made them big.
  • Tina, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 5 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#810 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 17:20

Forum posters are always thirsty for attention, believing their comments to have actual impact on game development.

That is an assumption I don't agree with. You are making a blanket statement about everybody's motive for posting on forums. The reason a person posts on a forum is unique to that person and may or may not be for the reason you stated. The one thing people do have in common here is the love of the TLJ saga.

• khh and Riaise like this

#811 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 04 September 2014 - 19:35

Theres lots of different motives and ways to post on a forum, you could positively add to the discussion, kindly request stuff or debate in a civil way as to why this or that could or could not be achieved. That could all be considered good feedback.

You can pose the following desire in 2 ways:

"Hey Ragnar, would you maybe consider doing some refference to makuth technologies and the tower on grendel avenue to have some throwbacks ore easter eggs to the longest journey ? It would help for us to have a link to the past you know, to get more info on what went down with the voltecs and McAllen:"

And you could also ask it like this:

"OMG RTG don't know what they're doing they're making a story and the it's all fucking different in the next game that has totally NOTHING to do anymore with the first game OMG, icompetent gamedevs11111111 too lazy to build a good sequel and dig into their own stuff, they probably lost it: even forget about McAllen , he was badass and should be back!, I wont play this shit"

They would obviously respond better on the first type of post :P (I hope at least)

(am I convincing enough in my imitation of angry mob posters ? :P)

• NeilClaimer likes this

#812 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 September 2014 - 20:38

Yeah, sorry Dreamshock. I guess I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around what the problem is. I feel like this community, taken as a whole, has been quite good. There's really very little trolling here. And RTG has directed people with questions here so they can participate in the community and because they try to answer questions here as they arise. 

I guess I don't see how that is a bad thing...?

I mean, Ragnar wears a lot of hats as a part of RTG. PR is one of them. So it sort of makes sense that he's going to take time answering questions and making sure that people are informed and know what's going on so that their fans spread correct information about the game and the company. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#813 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 September 2014 - 21:41

I think Ragnar is focusing too much on forum posters. Forum posters are always thirsty for attention, believing their comments to have actual impact on game development. As kind and patient as the RTG moderators are, they should observe the official moderators on Blizzard forums. They only respond when absolutely necessary and they do well not to encourage trolling behavior. It's really an act of public relations.

Um, you know why I post here?

Two reasons: I see it as my responsibility to be accessible and to stay in touch with our backers; and I LOVE checking in, taking part in discussions, teasing secrets and answering (or not) questions. Heck, I even come here to start (or finish) arguments!

I'm sure I could get away with NOT spending any time here. I'm sure the community would understand. We're busy, development takes up most of our days, but you know what? If I couldn't come here to read, write, participate and blow off steam, I wouldn't love my job half as much as I do. This is why I do it; the community, the passion, the arguments, the commitment.

So, no, I'm not "focusing too much on forum posters". I'm also very active on Twitter, Facebook, with press and partners — I'm everywhere I can be. But this? This is the place I love to be.

And we're not Blizzard, I'm sorry (?) to say. If we ever get to be Blizzard, I'm sure we could hire some community people to "only respond when absolutely necessary". Also, if that happens, please shoot me.

• Tina, Jecica, Edreamer Jamil and 18 others like this

#814 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 September 2014 - 21:43

I mean, Ragnar wears a lot of hats as a part of RTG. PR is one of them. So it sort of makes sense that he's going to take time answering questions and making sure that people are informed and know what's going on so that their fans spread correct information about the game and the company. 

Also this. So very much this.

• khh, CosmicD, NeilClaimer and 1 other like this

#815 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 04 September 2014 - 21:56

And we're not Blizzard, I'm sorry (?) to say. If we ever get to be Blizzard, I'm sure we could hire some community people to "only respond when absolutely necessary". Also, if that happens, please shoot me.

Come on! I want you to become Blizzard (in terms of success), but now that we'll have to shoot you if you do, I'm torn. Should we cease talk about the game to everyone we meet? Is this what we have to become in order to save a life?  :unsure:

:P Joking post is joking, btw.  :lol:

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#816 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 September 2014 - 22:23

Come on! I want you to become Blizzard (in terms of success), but now that we'll have to shoot you if you do, I'm torn. Should we cease talk about the game to everyone we meet? Is this what we have to become in order to save a life?  :unsure:

:P Joking post is joking, btw.  :lol:

You know, I LIKE having just twelve employees. Well: eleven without me. I've been in charge of teams with hundreds of people. It's tiring. It stops being fun. If we ever grow — and I'm not sure I want us to grow — I wouldn't want to grow past twenty employees. Thirty at MOST. Never more than that. Never more than a team where we can all sit together, in one place, where we can chat openly and loudly, and where everyone is friends with everyone else.

That's why I'm doing this. It's to make smaller games with smaller teams. Not to become BIG HUGE.

• Edreamer Jamil, MichaelH, agirlnamedbob and 6 others like this

#817 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 04 September 2014 - 22:56

Um, you know why I post here?

Two reasons: I see it as my responsibility to be accessible and to stay in touch with our backers; and I LOVE checking in, taking part in discussions, teasing secrets and answering (or not) questions. Heck, I even come here to start (or finish) arguments!

I'm sure I could get away with NOT spending any time here. I'm sure the community would understand. We're busy, development takes up most of our days, but you know what? If I couldn't come here to read, write, participate and blow off steam, I wouldn't love my job half as much as I do. This is why I do it; the community, the passion, the arguments, the commitment.

So, no, I'm not "focusing too much on forum posters". I'm also very active on Twitter, Facebook, with press and partners — I'm everywhere I can be. But this? This is the place I love to be.

I absolutely hate that with valve. I mean they semm all like empowering the community trough their games and that's really cool how you could make a workshop item for free or for sale, they don't give a crap about when you recycle their stuff in your own mod, or they like you using their music, trying to make a 1:1 version out of it, remixing it whatnot; For that they are great but for communication they are like a super guarded fortress where only a few with the right credentials can ask questions and get answers. They answer in general and in case of huge issues though, but they aren't accessible like RTG or even red 5 studios (firefall), or nadeo (trackmania).

#818 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 September 2014 - 23:04

I feel like being some sort of community manager who lurks ominously and only has to respond to people "when absolutely necessary" would be a pretty interesting gig. 

No, wait. The other thing. Tedious. 

• Edreamer Jamil and Riaise like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#819 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 September 2014 - 23:17

Back in Telltale's early days... oh, forget it, I won't ramble. But from 2006 to 2011, [...]

This made me literally LOL.  Priceless.  :D

Of course now a tiny part of me wants to hear the ramble...

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

#820 Dreamshock

Dreamshock

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 22:08

I'm happy to know that Ragnar is comfortable posting and responding to the community. I thought he was focusing too much on mean-spirited forum posters and I was worried it would be demoralizing in some fashion as it is on other forum sites (Blizzard, Team Liquid). I'm very familiar with some forum communities and how they can be notoriously toxic (Bioware). I've seen hurtful comments posted on these threads already, leading me to believe that the forum has already reached that point of devolving into a roiling mass of crazed cynicism; the sort of opinions that would be best to avoid. I'm glad to admit that I've misjudged this community and I apologize for my previous remark.

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, khh and 6 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Ragnar Tørnquist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users