826 replies to this topic

#41 Keated

Keated

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 15:56

If it's going to make the best DFC that DFC can possibly be, then sure, you do what you gotta do. We all waited ~ a decade for this game, we can wait an extra year or two to get the whole thing :)

It does make me wonder though - do I play it through chapter by chapter, or wait until I can binge on the whole thing? :-O

• blaster likes this

#42 Shifterdreamer

Shifterdreamer

Arcadia Native

• Forum Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 27 June 2014 - 15:56

Thanks Erika! And Lee-m, that's exactly my question here. Once all these chapters are released, will we have to be loading up the next part everytime? 

I have a dream... The wolf's not here on a sunny day, the wolf's not here, still I sense him...

#43 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 27 June 2014 - 15:57

I'll be honest, I don't like this at all. Instead of having a full game to play in December now we'll just have a few hours worth. Plus I dont remember backing an episodic game.

If the whole thing some how compiles into one unbroken game once we have all 5 parts, it won't be so bad I guess. If not, your stuck with being pulled out of the game 4 times to load up the next part.

Maybe this is better than the inevitable delay announcement have been waiting for however.

You won't have to restart the game to get to the next book — it's all pretty seamless :)

• Teller, agirlnamedbob, TalkingOak and 2 others like this

#44 Keated

Keated

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 15:58

If the whole thing some how compiles into one unbroken game once we have all 5 parts, it won't be so bad I guess. If not, your stuck with being pulled out of the game 4 times to load up the next part.

Isn't that just kind of like having to swap discs back in t' day?

• TalkingOak and Constanse like this

#45 chiccats

chiccats

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationItaly, Stark

Posted 27 June 2014 - 15:58

Fans have waited 8 years to see a sequel, so, even if I understand the disappointments due to the fact that we actually wanted to play the entire game this autumn, I am sure that no one will die waiting a bit more as soon as this decision RTG took is the best one to have exactly what we are expecting from the game..

The good news is that the game will be longer and with the big quality it deserves, so I think everything will be worthy!!! :)

• TalkingOak, Andreas, blaster and 1 other like this

The balance provides, the balance protects. Trust the balance and trust yourself.

#46 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 15:59

wallpaper_20100818060314_20395456242.jpg

Who remembers this? *sighs* this thread is honestly kind of funny. :)  I'm sorry some of you are frustrated though. We waited like 12 years for a Duke Nukem game. I can wait a few months, weeks for this game. It's not as hard as some of you think to wait , and avoid spoilers. Best of wishes everyone.

• TalkingOak likes this

#47 alx

alx

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:00

Episodic content is fine. One question though: I've planned my DVD release of DF:C and gift the download to a friend. (All physical rewards also have the download, and I can't see why I should be able to git it.) The problem now is that the DVD is delivered when all five chapters are done and I can't play it until then. On the other hand I might just wait until then and play all together (like I'm planning for Broken Age).

A quick fix for this "problem": give all bakers of physical tiers an additional steam key which destroys itself when the DVD is delivered.

Another solution would be to just also play the download version since it's DRM free.

#48 Jana

Jana

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationEttenheim, Germany

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:02

I'll be honest, I don't like this at all.

Look, of course it's a bit of a disappointment. I guess RTG isn't doing this because out of evil intentions. They are really trying their best to get this game out, but reality is sometimes hard. Especially if you're a new independent developer studio without tons of cash on their hands.

• TalkingOak and Undreamer like this

If only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies,
how very different our ideals of beauty would be.

#49 Undreamer

Undreamer

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationThe Storytime

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:03

I actually really like this change. Dreamfall has always been more of an interactive story where I, (the character), make choices and see how those choices affect the overall storyline. One thing I really appreciate about Ragnar and the rest of the Red Thread Games group is that they take the time to release such a statement, put the time and effort in to replying to people, and actually care about their player base. For this I applaud you.

I did have some questions, (I apologize if these are repeats because I know this is a hot topic)...

1) Would something like T-shirts and the official soundtrack be released when the game boxes are released?

2) Also the hard copy of "Journeys: Birth" and "the pretty postcard," are the release dates for those near the end?

That is all really.

Take care.

• TalkingOak and yodagreen3 like this

"I am at the crossroads between waking and dream. One path leads back to the world I left behind. The other path … the other path leads to a place of shadows. Between the familiar and the unknown, between certainty and doubt, my choice would seem obvious. Any sane man would turn around, return to the world he knows, forget what he has learned, and live his life in blissful ignorance. But in truth, it is too late. My choice was made many years ago, when I first embarked on this journey. I cannot turn back. I am at a crossroads, but for me there is only one path. I leave behind these words in the hope that, someday, they will serve as a map for someone else. To whomever reads this, Godspeed on your journey. If you ever decide to follow in my footsteps, look me up." -Brian Westhouse, Dreamfall

"The hardest part of the day isn't falling asleep realizing you are going to awaken in a new world. It's trying to wake up knowing you will have to fall asleep and abandon that world at some point, abandoning everything that you've fallen in love with in that world."

#50 Keated

Keated

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:05

I guess RTG isn't doing this because out of evil intentions.

They're not? :o

I may have to rethink my support for this policy :P

• Edreamer Jamil, TalkingOak, Crow's fan and 2 others like this

#51 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:08

You won't have to restart the game to get to the next book — it's all pretty seamless :)

Good :) Thanks for clearing that one up. Im sure me (and a few others) will get used to the idea over the next few months.

I always think of this:

When thinking about RTG decision making process lol

#52 Ripple

Ripple

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHenllys, Cwmbran

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:09

can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait

............ feels a bit like the kid's test where they're given a sweet and told they'll get two more as long as they don't eat the first one yet.

But it's OK - much rather quality & depth... I suppose  :unsure:  

#53 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7370 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:11

Look, of course it's a bit of a disappointment. I guess RTG isn't doing this because out of evil intentions. They are really trying their best to get this game out, but reality is sometimes hard. Especially if you're a new independent developer studio without tons of cash on their hands.

This! (You are always so wise Jana :) )

I can understand why people are disappointed. However, as I said I just see it as the same as a TV/Novel/Comic book series so I'm pretty okay with the idea of episodic content. Plus we are getting the game, that is the importaint thing rather than the delivery method.

• Undreamer and chiccats like this
The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#54 DrHouse

DrHouse

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:13

I'm ok with the change, but please, don't make separate entries for each Chapter in Steam. I like my Library pretty and organized, so I don't like games that make multiple entries (like some TellTale games), I preffer just one entry (Like The Walking Dead).

It's way cleaner. Example:

DXB9NrR.png

#55 MichaelH

MichaelH

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts
  • LocationBremen, Germany

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:13

I would have preferred a delayed release of the full game instead of turning it into an episodic game. Broken Sword 5 really suffered in the reviews because most were based on the first episode, which was good but was missing some elements of a great Broken Sword game. Those elements were all there once the game was complete, but by that time the reviews had been written.

#56 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:15

DrHouse: they already said it will be one entry on Steam, updated as each episode is released.

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#57 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:17

Isn't that just kind of like having to swap discs back in t' day?

Yeah, and that was bloody awful. If you ever played Street Fighter 2 or Monkey Island 2(11 discs) on the Amiga you'll know what i'm talking about lol

#58 Layara

Layara

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:19

Without having read the entire thread yet, I just wated to state that I support the decision. I honestly don't mind the change to an episodic format - hell, it will even leave me something to look forward to instead of "binge-playing" the whole game in a few days. ;) And I'd much rather get polished episodes than the whole thing at once, but with story parts, locations and characters cut out!

• Dmm likes this

#59 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:22

All I'm reading here is Steam, Steam, Steam, Steam, Steam.

That really doesn't bode well for Chapters.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#60 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:26

GoG updates its games too, Vainamoinen, it's just slightly easier to do so on Steam*, that's why the majority prefers it.

*until GoG Galaxy comes, of course.

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Ragnar Tørnquist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users