8 replies to this topic

#1 Nodachi

Nodachi

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:08

Did a quick forum search. Stunned I found nothing on the topic. And since last time I checked, I'm somewhat sleep-deprived, only slightly mad but definitely not blind (hopefully cough), here it is.

I've unlocked "Sign of the Dreamer" emoticon on Steam. Then it struck me. Bingo.

Dreamfall_Chapters_Emoticon_sotd.png

This, my fellow dreamers, is effectively a cannabis plant. An organic flowerlike prototyped form (TLJ: Dreamfall) that's... grabbing your face? Making you inhale its vapors?

Then a "live" mask-like iteration we see in Chapters, completely covering your face, severing you from the real world by blocking your senses and feeding them generated "dream" content, or, as we can call it by somewhat stretching the truth, externally controlled hallucinogenic experience. It's not exactly "virtual reality" as we know it since while inside a person has full impression of actually being there. The mask itself has no direct connection to plants... if only WATI wouldn't elect a flower-like (or leaf-like) illuminated symbol to be its official logo for the Dreamachine. And brand it on every sample in addition to using in marketing.

I'm convinced the design choice is far from being random. And it is obvious for me that there's more to it than simple drugs and addiction themes (not to say that these topics alone are highly controversial when we talk about cannabis... not unlike Dreaming).

What do you think folks?

And, a question almost as much important. What did Ragnar and RTG wanted to tell us by making the design choice they made?

"Ah, the internal monologue. True mark of the distinguished adventure gamer." -- Flo

I want to believe :crow:

#2 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1328 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:17

I always thought it was supposed to be a lotus flower (like the ones surrounding the altar when Brian's transported into Storytime in the prologue to Dreamfall). But I could be wrong!
  • toremygg, Toffy and Yarrozu like this

#3 Vanya-illin

Vanya-illin

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 May 2016 - 18:10

Ah yes, the land world of the lotus eaters.

• Ringtail likes this

#4 Laura

Laura

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:05

Interesting. I wonder if this is connected to the fact that in Dreamfall

Spoiler

Though I agree it is probably more like a lotus. More "poetic" and beautiful.

• Toffy likes this

#5 Speak&Spell

Speak&Spell

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSoul-land

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:53

The original Dreamer's plant from Dreamfall looks like a living plant with some sort of life. Possible a manipulated crossbreed. The symbol used in DFC could refer to the original plant from Dreamfall. Possible same plant is in some way incorporated in the new Dreamer's design.

The lotus flower is also used as a symbol for the awakening of the spiritual life. In DFC the Dreamer's symbol is similarly used of some kind of awakening in the dreaming life. I think about all the advertising in Europolis, is to spread dependence to the dreamer also through this symbol.

Always think twice when you hear "news" from unconfirmed sources.

#6 Corrado5834

Corrado5834

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationRome - Italy

Posted 25 May 2016 - 13:03

Googling a few images looks like Nodachi is right.

Especially the CANNABIS LOGO is impressive, even if it's usually depicted with seven leaves instead of five.

The LOTUS LOGO doesn't look like a closer match.

• KatjaKat likes this

#7 KatjaKat

KatjaKat

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 22:50

That's interesting. I think you definitely have a point, the logo looks more like the usual stylized cannabis leaf than a lotus flower and the ephemeral design ties in more with the lotus and spiritual aspect. Possibly RTG tried to make a sort of mix between the two, hinting at both spiritual and drug like aspects?

• Nodachi and Starseeker like this

#8 Njorun

Njorun

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:10

That's interesting. I think you definitely have a point, the logo looks more like the usual stylized cannabis leaf than a lotus flower and the ephemeral design ties in more with the lotus and spiritual aspect. Possibly RTG tried to make a sort of mix between the two, hinting at both spiritual and drug like aspects?

Exactly! That's what I was thinking too..

#9 Cassidie Jhones

Cassidie Jhones

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 14:36

Yeah, because in DFC the Dreamtime addicts are all over the streets, having lost their jobs and homes. They can't even be disconnected just like that, they have to be taken to rehab, or at least Zoe says something along those lines I think. That's always brought to mind drug addiction or alcoholism for me.
  • Toffy likes this

http://geekgirlobsess.blogspot.com - YA book reviews, movie & tv show reviews, video games.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dreamer, WATI, cannabis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users