• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 midix

midix

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 16:05

Fuse is a good tool for game developers who want to get "generic average people" running around in their game as soon as possible. One of its strengths is automatic skeleton rigging and export pipelines to some popular game engines. And you can be really creative and import your own assets into Fuse, if you want something unique.

But at the current moment Fuse have some things terribly broken and new releases are not seen for months, despite people throwing bug reports at them. Don't even try to edit a mesh inside Fuse - it will be slow and will mess everything up. I accidentally found why mesh editing might be so slow - it seems to write to a log file your every mouse movement on every vertex  :o  Seems like developers forgot to remove "verbose" mode. But at least Fuse is completely free, for now, while its so buggy and just bought by dobe :D .

Poser and DAZ studio seems to come from a different league, though - have tried them but not much experience.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#122 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 01 June 2016 - 16:18

Yeah, but what if I use Fuse to create a reference and then draw in my physical sketchbook off of that reference rather than spending 5 hours scouring the internet for pictures I can use as a reference? Freehand draw off of that reference with my tablet in another window/on a second monitor? (Which are what I generally do.) Or use it to create a rough outline sketch that I'm then going to digitally paint over?

I guess so. I honestly prefer drawing without any reference...but I guess If you really have to produce huge amount of artworks very fast...one of these programs could be helpful 

Or I sculpt and rig my own models, paint my own skins, and then use something like Fuse to create scenes with them?

I don't know you can import different models in Fuse. I think IT gives you the models and some twwaking options (like those RPG games where you can change certain face features and so forth)

I mean. To each their own. Very much to each their own. Not saying you need to change your opinion or anything. Art is nothing if not subjective. And I'm all for an organic creation process and turning "mistakes" into happy accidents. I just also see a lot of potential with these tools. And I feel like they're frequently unfairly pigeonholed or conceptualized in a very limited or monolithic way (though the way we advertise them is still partly to blame). You can still have a very organic creation process while using them.

to each their own: very true. As said: I live in my own world and I'm getting older. Probably not "modern" enough to appreciate how essential this tool is. I don't like labelling stuff without knowing it first but I usually give my first impressions. I used to literally hate After Effects. I changed my mind. Will I change my mind about Fuse? Who knows. Only time (better yet: lack of time) will tell. For now: I draw by hand. 

Like with most things, it really depends on how you're using it and what you're doing with it. Like... The first time I looked at Poser, I never would have thought you could make something like RWBY with it. (Though I know that's also an art style that's not for everyone.)

I don't know it...but if you're referring to this...I can see why we have different opinions. 

That's ok though ;-)

aaaaand we're off topic

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#123 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 June 2016 - 16:38

I don't know you can import different models in Fuse. I think IT gives you the models and some twwaking options (like those RPG games where you can change certain face features and so forth)

I'm not as familiar with Fuse, but generally with these modeling programs there's a base model that you can edit, but you can also buy and/or create additional content for them. At a glance, it definitely looks like you can still create/sculpt your own stuff. 

I think it's important to remember with some of this stuff that we advertise it as looking "SO EASY" and tend to show off how you can fiddle a couple of dials and create a custom figure in minutes. A lot of times everything under the hood isn't really put on full display. 

to each their own: very true. As said: I live in my own world and I'm getting older. Probably not "modern" enough to appreciate how essential this tool is. I don't like labelling stuff without knowing it first but I usually give my first impressions. I used to literally hate After Effects. I changed my mind. Will I change my mind about Fuse? Who knows. Only time (better yet: lack of time) will tell. For now: I draw by hand.

Oh for sure. Things change and adapt super fast. I hated Photoshop for a long time, then I got over it. *shrug* 

I don't know it...but if you're referring to this...I can see why we have different opinions. 

That's ok though ;-)

Yeah, that's RWBY. 

Just to reiterate. My point wasn't to hold it up as some sort of high bar for artistic achievement. My point was that when I first encountered Poser and saw everyone using it as a "quick" way to generate a lot of hyper realistic images to upload on Deviantart, it never crossed my mind that someone would take the program and use it to make a 3D animated anime-inspired web series. 

aaaaand we're off topic

We live off topic. :P Not like there's much new to say on topic anyway.

EDIT: 

Slightly more on topic, I'm waiting for someone from RTG to jump in and school us about 3D art programs. :P

I can't remember what they use, though. (Or if I've ever taken note of any specific programs when they've posted in progress stuff, for that matter.) 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#124 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 17:03

I'm not as familiar with Fuse, but generally with these modeling programs there's a base model that you can edit, but you can also buy and/or create additional content for them. At a glance, it definitely looks like you can still create/sculpt your own stuff.

It's very expensive but I prefer 3ds max...yeah very old school of me I know :P

I think it's important to remember with some of this stuff that we advertise it as looking "SO EASY" and tend to show off how you can fiddle a couple of dials and create a custom figure in minutes. A lot of times everything under the hood isn't really put on full display.

I think none of these programs are easy...almost all of Adobe programs are difficult. Most of those we think are easy are just familiar because we've been using them for 20 years or so...and they've set a standard for other companies too...but that's interface design territory and god forbid we go into that!

Oh for sure. Things change and adapt super fast. I hated Photoshop for a long time, then I got over it. *shrug*

I used to love it...it's gotten too "fat". On my computer just the loading of the program takes 20 seconds, while CS5 loads in no time and does pretty much all I need it to.

Just to reiterate. My point wasn't to hold it up as some sort of high bar for artistic achievement. My point was that when I first encountered Poser and saw everyone using it as a "quick" way to generate a lot of hyper realistic images to upload on Deviantart, it never crossed my mind that someone would take the program and use it to make a 3D animated anime-inspired web series.

Really? I used it in...like in 2000?...for the first time. The first thing I did was an animation. Two years ago I did some mocap with a kinect and iClone...much faster and more fun.
Again: it's ok to have different opinions. I'm not saying people shouldn't use what suits them best and my initial comment was a joke-rant rather than a true statement. I was really joking.

We live off topic. :P Not like there's much new to say on topic anyway.

;-)

#125 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 June 2016 - 17:31

I think none of these programs are easy...almost all of Adobe programs are difficult. Most of those we think are easy are just familiar because we've been using them for 20 years or so...and they've set a standard for other companies too...but that's interface design territory and god forbid we go into that!

Oh, for sure. Well, difficult to use well at any rate. :P 

I was just vividly recalling debates from forever ago about how "real" artists didn't use Photoshop because it made art too easy and did all the work for you. And now times have changed. As they always do. 

Again: it's ok to have different opinions. I'm not saying people shouldn't use what suits them best and my initial comment was a joke-rant rather than a true statement. I was really joking.

Sorry if I gave off the impression that I was saying it wasn't okay to have different opinions. Or trying to say that you were somehow against people using whatever they wanted. I know you were joke-ranting. :P I just find this stuff interesting and was discussing. Mostly because I'm bored. 

Apologies. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#126 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 20:00

I was just vividly recalling debates from forever ago about how "real" artists didn't use Photoshop because it made art too easy and did all the work for you. And now times have changed. As they always do. 

When photoshop first came out it "spawned" a whole bunch of people who thought they suddenly were designers. Hence the 90s websited.....*uuuugh!*
I think at the time the most used filter was the "emboss"...fortunately those times are over and people somehow returned to sanity.
XD

There have always been "vernacular" dudes that think they can do all by themselves. My clients usually tell me stuff like "well...it can't be *that* difficult, no?"

on the other hand today we have more freedom of expression, which is really great.

Sorry if I gave off the impression that I was saying it wasn't okay to have different opinions. Or trying to say that you were somehow against people using whatever they wanted. I know you were joke-ranting. :P I just find this stuff interesting and was discussing. Mostly because I'm bored. 

Apologies.

Apologies...accepted

I'm kidding! You don't have to apologise about anything you've said. I should apologise about my initial post! At the moment I was at work and a colleague of mine shared his thoughts about the program. I agreed and wrote it on my post just for the heck of it...I wasn't really serious but I shold have connected the brain before typing XD

I still stand by what I've said on many levels, but I also DO respect your opinion and that of anyone else.

Also...I've used some programs...I might be ashamed of hehehehe :D

#127 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:55

I'm over-thinking it.

In an epic, epic way. :)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#128 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:57

In an epic, epic way. :)

I'm just trying to figure out what he meant. "We're keeping the division of books, but it won't be episodic" is more than a little confusing, but I think I talked it out.

#129 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:07

Yeah what Ragnar was talking about in the tweet was that the release won't be episodic. That PS4 get all in one go. Wouldn't read anything more into it than that.
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#130 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:10

Yeah what Ragnar was talking about in the tweet was that the release won't be episodic. That PS4 get all in one go. Wouldn't read anything more into it than that.

Oh, that completely went over my head. Sleep deprivation is a hell of a drug. I completely understand what he meant now. Just ignore that entire post. Should I just delete it?

EDIT: I deleted it because I don't want for anyone to waste their time reading it. Move along, people! Nothing to see here! :)

Edited by bongboy, 11 June 2016 - 10:23.

#131 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:10

Oh noes that was so cute. Mods, reinstate the rambling confusion! :)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#132 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 11 June 2016 - 13:21

While it is possible for me to reinstate it (and I wouldn't mind doing it), if bongboy wants it deleted, it will stay deleted. It's completely up to him :)

It was sort of entertaining though :D Hope you don't take it the wrong way, bongboy :) *mom voice* And get some sleep! Sleep depravation isn't healthy.

• khh likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users