131 replies to this topic

#21 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 15 May 2016 - 23:19

Cool, good post :) I have one request. When you do post the next update could you also mention any plans about further post-release revisions to the game? I've not yet played DFC as I've been waiting for all the work going into it to be finished so I can get the best possible experience. Thank you :)

Yep, we plan to! And if you don't mind waiting, I'd probably recommend holding off until we've made all the changes we're going to make to the console version(s) – which we're bringing back to the desktop versions, of course.

Without promising anything yet (we need to sit down and plan this properly) this will hopefully include updated art, some new character models, optimisations, more music, more sound-effects, surround-sound support, gameplay tweaks and fixes, general bug fixes, and story-and-dialogue edits to tighten the pacing a bit. We're also planning to make some cuts...but nothing major, and all of it to improve flow.

• Chocobo_sage, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 9 others like this

#22 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 May 2016 - 23:20

losing contact with some of our key American actors due to a tragic accident

:( :( :( 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#23 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 15 May 2016 - 23:21

That Saga in 3D :o  Gorgeous!

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Jecica, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 8 others like this

#24 DarkPerson

DarkPerson

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 23:40

Well, that depends on what you mean by "very close".

But yes, lots of cast scheduling issues this time around. We've been extraordinarily lucky with previous episodes, but this time... Gods. From finding out a lead actor would be in South Africa for a month, to losing contact with some of our key American actors due to a tragic accident, to our London based studio being fully booked for weeks on end...it's been a bit of a nightmare.

We are never doing episodic again. We are never doing a game with this many actors again. We will never try to make six hours of narrative-driven cinematic gameplay with forty thousand spoken words every three months (and failing miserably) ever again.

Good learning experience, though! And you know what they say about 'never'...

Why not? it was highly successful. ;)
 Jokes, aside I do understand the reasoning behind this. I myself tried to create a game with adventure game studio and couldn't create anything more than a single screen game. :P
Now I learned how to appreciate everything a bit more.

#25 Thundex

Thundex

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 May 2016 - 00:12

Nice to have an idea where things are at. :) Thanks for the update and the hard word, RTG. 

Gonna make some tea and go back to waiting patiently. ;)

giphy.gif

I think the real question that is most important for me is What kind of Tea? :P

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#26 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 May 2016 - 00:23

I think the real question that is most important for me is What kind of Tea? :P

Lately I've been going through either my Harry Potter "fandom" teas (which reminds me...I should consider putting together a TLJ/DF/DFC blend set on Adagio...) or just doing like green tea with lemongrass. Though, I mean. ...I have a lot of tea...

tumblr_mv6wf5d6yK1s8nr6zo1_250.gif

fyWvblY.gif

oPbZWs2.gif

TWLBO1c.gif

VrlROYw.gif

DQjHgtt.gif

• Chocobo_sage, yodagreen3 and Thundex like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#27 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 16 May 2016 - 00:24

Spoiler

Spoiler

#28 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1283 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 16 May 2016 - 00:52

The best laid plans of mice, men and game developers!

All I ask is that you bring back the shadow people on the bridge :-D

I want to wait until the definitive edition, but know that I won't. Still, we can play for the story and then soak up the improved details in a second playthrough.

As for tea, I'm all sorted. "They" stopped selling my favourite tea ever in the shops here (Lipton Imperial Earl Grey FYI) so I just had to get 12 boxes of the stuff from Ukraine on Ebay, lol.

Anyway, sounds like you've had a real time of it. I suggest you add something medicinal to your own tea ;)

#29 longnightfalling

longnightfalling

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:31

... to losing contact with some of our key American actors due to a tragic accident ...

Forgive me if I'm out of the loop on this, but is everyone okay?  We only know these actors through their contributions, but still think of them fondly as a result of the enjoyment they've brought us.  I'd hate to think of anything bad happening to them.

#30 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1305 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:42

Forgive me if I'm out of the loop on this, but is everyone okay?  We only know these actors through their contributions, but still think of them fondly as a result of the enjoyment they've brought us.  I'd hate to think of anything bad happening to them.

It was Jory Prum, a sound designer and voiceover manager who worked on a whole lot of games and movies. He sadly died in motorcycle accident at the end of April. http://www.forbes.co...y/#329e2ce314da
  • Tina, agirlnamedbob, yodagreen3 and 1 other like this

#31 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:33

Yep, we plan to! And if you don't mind waiting, I'd probably recommend holding off until we've made all the changes we're going to make to the console version(s) – which we're bringing back to the desktop versions, of course.

Without promising anything yet (we need to sit down and plan this properly) this will hopefully include updated art, some new character models, optimisations, more music, more sound-effects, surround-sound support, gameplay tweaks and fixes, general bug fixes, and story-and-dialogue edits to tighten the pacing a bit. We're also planning to make some cuts...but nothing major, and all of it to improve flow.

Thanks for the reply, I will hold out till then :) Really looking forward to playing after *looks up join date* holding off since october 2014. Wow time has gone by really quickly.

I've played around with content creation in various forms and getting that perfect scene or gameplay tweak is a great feeling. I hope you guys are able to achieve everything you're hoping for :)

#32 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:00

Will the developer commentary that was promised in the Director's Cut stretch goal be available with Book Five or with the complete edition?

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#33 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:56

Well, that depends on what you mean by "very close".

But yes, lots of cast scheduling issues this time around. We've been extraordinarily lucky with previous episodes, but this time... Gods. From finding out a lead actor would be in South Africa for a month, to losing contact with some of our key American actors due to a tragic accident, to our London based studio being fully booked for weeks on end...it's been a bit of a nightmare.

We are never doing episodic again. We are never doing a game with this many actors again. We will never try to make six hours of narrative-driven cinematic gameplay with forty thousand spoken words every three months (and failing miserably) ever again.

Good learning experience, though! And you know what they say about 'never'...

Somewhat, you may be enoughly crazy to try it again in the next decade... xD

#34 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:39

I'll say it here too.

Thanks Ragnar, thanks guys. This was very much needed ^_^

• Starseeker likes this

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#35 Nathanael

Nathanael

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:22

Now I can wait in peace:)

#36 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:06

I read feedback on Steam forums. Some people posted something like "I don't care anymore!" etc. For me, a loyal fan but not fanboy, the case is closed. RTG apologizes. Give a solid explanation behind silence. This time update is very well detailed and there isn't "false hope" for release in week or two. Some our speculations are confirmed - shedule issues and Book Five became (much) bigger than planned (good stuff). Its all looks very promising and we can be sure that story won't be rushed.

• popcorngal, CosmicD, gailreg and 2 others like this

#37 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:43

Will the developer commentary that was promised in the Director's Cut stretch goal be available with Book Five or with the complete edition?

I wouldn't expect to see that before the complete edition. It seems like one of the things that belong to the finishing touches.

The update says the next update will speak about the still to come backer rewards, so there will probably be an official word on that then.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#38 Njorun

Njorun

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:01

Spoiler

The 7 year jumps would make sense though.. 1, 7, 14, 21, 28, 35
Maybe we will just miss out on two of the jumps..? Or as you said, make more of them in book 5.

Interesting theory

• Jecica likes this

#39 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:06

Re: Year jumps

Spoiler

#40 VoodooFX

VoodooFX

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMaribor, Slovenia

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:31

I read feedback on Steam forums. Some people posted something like "I don't care anymore!" etc. For me, a loyal fan but not fanboy, the case is closed. RTG apologizes. Give a solid explanation behind silence. This time update is very well detailed and there isn't "false hope" for release in week or two. Some our speculations are confirmed - shedule issues and Book Five became (much) bigger than planned (good stuff). Its all looks very promising and we can be sure that story won't be rushed.

Well, bashing, trolling and being vocal behind the animosity of internet is nothing new. Bet the user in question still cares very much. Those who don't certainly don't lurk the game's forums and have in fact moved on to other things long, long time ago (waaay before DFC was even put on KS).

I for one am waiting patiently until the whole game comes together, even if the galaxy is torn by a black hole by then.

• popcorngal, NeilClaimer and the red of the kin like this

We may have days, we may have hours, but sooner or later we all push up flowers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users