khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:45

(Link to Kickstarter update)

"Almost there!" May production update

Hi all,

We’ve reached the middle of May and the team is still hard at work on the final (!!!) episode of

Dreamfall Chapters. Things Take Time, episodic is hard, etc. — yep, you’ve heard this before: we

do want the conclusion to the saga to be a worthy one, and we’re not going to rush it out the

door…even though our originally planned release window has come and almost gone.

A release date is not far off, however, and so here’s what the team is currently working on:

The location artists have wrapped up work on the new environments, and are now focusing almost

entirely on special effects and cut-scene lighting. Some of the scenes in Book Five look absolutely

gorgeous; a departure from anything in the previous four episodes, and some of the best work our

artists have done so far. We look forward to sharing more of their work soon.

The character artists are done with all the major (and minor) characters, and are now focusing on

the remaining backers — some Doppelgängers and all the Birthrighters — whose models are

being put into the final episode (and also previous episodes).

On the writing and voice-over side, we still have four characters (and three actors) left to record. It’s

been a challenge getting everyone’s schedules to match up, and this time we’ve also had some

real difficulties booking all the actors and securing studio time (and casting one final key role) —

but we should be wrapped by this coming Friday.

All the gameplay has been implemented, and the designers are completing the (many, many)

cut-scenes for the series’ conclusion, along with testing and fixing bugs. They’re also making some

big changes to Book One — improving the start of the game, and hopefully tightening the story and

gameplay a bit. We’ve learned a LOT since 2014, and it was time to apply those lessons.

On the coding side, it’s mostly about fixing bugs and performing optimisations — there are no

remaining features to be implemented, and the coders are spending most of their free time porting

the game to new platforms, though there have also been some frustrating Unity issues to deal with.

New animations are still trickling in, but the animators are focusing mostly on iterating existing

animations — making them smoother, better, more lifelike. With two animators and dozens upon

dozens of cut-scenes, it’s amazing how they get it all done. But they do. Every single time.

Finally, on the audio side, our composer is working full time on getting a huge amount of original

music done (some of the best we’ve heard so far in this game) and our talented sound designer is

putting the final touches on the scenes and cinematic sequences — improving on the already great

atmosphere in the new locations. We’re also hoping to have the full soundtrack ready for the

release of Book Five, though it may take a few extra days to get it mastered and published.

We know a lot of you are getting increasingly impatient with the wait, and we completely understand

and appreciate your frustration — but we believe that, in the end, it’s all about the quality of the

game, and how the story was told…and how it ended. We hope and trust the wait will be worth it —

but yeah, it has been a long, long, long wait. Luckily, Book Five is probably the team's best work so

far, and, we think, a fitting end to this saga. We trust you’ll agree!

Finally, here’s a little bonus — a closer look at two of the character models in Book Five, created by

our amazing 3D artist Hans Kristian Andersen:

https://www.artstati...ka/albums/40191

We’ll definitely post more of these in the future.

The next update will most likely have a trailer AND a release date, more screenshots and

information about still-to-come backer rewards. Until then, thanks again for your patience and

support. It’s truly been the longest journey (!) but we’re approaching the end now — and we’re both

very happy and very, very sad about that.

Thanks for reading!

Team RTG

• Jecica, agirlnamedbob, TalkingOak and 17 others like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#2 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7371 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:54

Looking forward to the end update. :) Even though as the update says it will be both happy that we are getting a new episode but also sad as it will be the end of the journey...

• Alcarmo likes this
The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#3 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:03

Coming Soon ! excellent news ;)
Hopefully that update will buy RTG a few weeks of slightly less bitching on the steam forums etc. And they did try to address that somewhat in that update.

Was interesting to hear something about what is going on with the book 1 stuff. I guess fixing some translations is only part of the improvements.

#4 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:44

I hope Ragnar knows that we will need a detailed list of all the changes he's making to previous chapters.  Just so we can keep things straight.  Plus, I'd love some insight into those changes, and why they felt they were necessary.

And I love the awesome look of Saga.  We finally get to see what she really looks like from every angle, and it is awesome! 

Good to hear everything is going well.  Looking forward to that release day.

• CosmicD likes this

#5 Jecica

Jecica

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:09

That Saga in 3D :o  Gorgeous!

Spoiler

• MisterMetropolis and Starseeker like this

"We have seen it all, yes, and we remember. We remember because we pass the stories on, from Harbinger of the Balance to A Rubber Ducky, throughout the centuries. Do you want to hear one of our stories?
Ask us, ask. Ask about
the Pizza, the Thief and the Time..."

#6 Nathanael

Nathanael

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:25

Spoiler

• yodagreen3 and Starseeker like this

#7 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:37

OMG, how WONDERFUL it feels to read an update, finally!!! Although it definitely feels like a June release. Thank you, RTG!!!

• CosmicD likes this

#8 Vardark

Vardark

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 13:57

I like that they're improving previous books. Adds another layer of excitement to my inevitable replay.

• Edreamer Jamil, CosmicD and debro like this

#9 megakoresh

megakoresh

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 14:08

I just know I am gonna get some gigantic unexpected load of work, the moment this comes out...

#10 popcorngal

popcorngal

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 15 May 2016 - 15:46

Myohmyohmy...

Thanks so much for the update!

And thanks for being willing to take the heat for taking your time to make it the best game -ever.- Because I'm very confident that the RTG team is going to produce a final product that's more than worth the wait. :D

• Edreamer Jamil, Indrid Cold and Mr Moo like this

"Oh! I was having this weird dream about a big ass turkey wearing a pair of red shoes. And you were there, and he was there, and, and... maybe it wasn't a dream after all?"   :crow:

#11 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 16:36

Cool, good post :) I have one request. When you do post the next update could you also mention any plans about further post-release revisions to the game? I've not yet played DFC as I've been waiting for all the work going into it to be finished so I can get the best possible experience. Thank you :)

• trentjaspar and Elessar like this

#12 Sophia

Sophia

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 17:23

I have only one word:

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

:D

Latest blog post: s.png?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.feedburner.

#13 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 May 2016 - 17:33

Cast shedule issues confirmed. Still a lot of work to do. Update is too late. Release isn't very close. The waiting continues.

#14 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 15 May 2016 - 17:55

Yeah, I have to admit, they have a bit more to do than I might have anticipated given how long ago (and the tone of) the last update.

But I'm glad that it's now "almost there" instead of just "soon."  That's closer, right?  ;)

I still have to decide if I'm going to wait to play until the "complete" edition is released (or whatever it's called-- the version on physical media).

And the Humble DRM-free version seems to lag well behind the Steam and even GOG release, but...it'll come out eventually.

• CosmicD likes this

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" and "The Cat Lady."  Previous game: "A Bird Story"

#15 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 May 2016 - 18:08

Nice to have an idea where things are at. :) Thanks for the update and the hard word, RTG. 

Gonna make some tea and go back to waiting patiently. ;) 

giphy.gif

• khh, Dmm, yodagreen3 and 2 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#16 Mivey

Mivey

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 19:34

Been waiting for this for about 10 years, a few more weeks mean litttle if it really holds up the previous game, or even surpasses it. 

#17 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 20:17

Awww, Saga is older than April ever got to be! I'm so happy for her...

Spoiler

April would be 29 in the game now.

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#18 Nathanael

Nathanael

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 May 2016 - 20:24

She could be 29-30 now. It's close enough :P

#19 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 15 May 2016 - 23:11

Nice to have an idea where things are at. :) Thanks for the update and the hard word, RTG. 

Gonna make some tea and go back to waiting patiently. ;)

giphy.gif

I wish everyone in the world were you guys. And also Wooster.

• Tina, Jecica, Edreamer Jamil and 10 others like this

#20 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 15 May 2016 - 23:15

Cast shedule issues confirmed. Still a lot of work to do. Update is too late. Release isn't very close. The waiting continues.

Well, that depends on what you mean by "very close".

But yes, lots of cast scheduling issues this time around. We've been extraordinarily lucky with previous episodes, but this time... Gods. From finding out a lead actor would be in South Africa for a month, to losing contact with some of our key American actors due to a tragic accident, to our London based studio being fully booked for weeks on end...it's been a bit of a nightmare.

We are never doing episodic again. We are never doing a game with this many actors again. We will never try to make six hours of narrative-driven cinematic gameplay with forty thousand spoken words every three months (and failing miserably) ever again.

Good learning experience, though! And you know what they say about 'never'...

• Chocobo_sage, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 18 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users