Photo

We're looking for a German-speaking player to help us out!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:35

Hi folks! We need to get in touch with someone — preferably in this community — who's played the first book of Dreamfall Chapters (at least once!) and who's fluent enough — preferably a native German speaker with good-to-very-good German writing skills — to be able to provide us with feedback on some changes we're making to Book One.

You'll need to commit to playing through the first episode at least a couple of times in German and English, to send us detailed comments on German subtitles and voice-overs, and to communicate with team member(s) during that process. You also need to have reasonably strong English reading/writing/listening skills, in order to spot discrepancies between the English and German localised versions of the game.

(We will, of course, compensate you for the work.)

If this sounds like something you're up for (or you know someone who could do the job) please let us know as soon as possible. Send an email to info@redthreadgames.com and we'll get back to you!

Ragnar

• agirlnamedbob, khh, MisterMetropolis and 6 others like this

#2 artemisofephesus

artemisofephesus

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:57

Have sent you an email, Ragnar! It would be such an exciting opportunity to be able to contribute to the game. :D

• agirlnamedbob, khh, Indrid Cold and 4 others like this

#3 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 13:00

Not surprisingly, they have mail from me as well. :)

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, khh and 11 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#4 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 May 2016 - 13:38

+1 :)

• Yarrozu likes this

#5 Philip

Philip

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationKarlsruhe, Germany

Posted 12 May 2016 - 14:16

Been there, done that.

#6 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 12 May 2016 - 15:15

Sooo many responses! Thanks guys, you're awesome. Will get back to everyone as soon as I have a moment.

• agirlnamedbob, khh, Indrid Cold and 2 others like this

#7 Al Dhi

Al Dhi

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:32

Well, I'm probably too late, but I still sent in an application. :)

#8 te36

te36

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:17

Hmm.. makes me wonder:

I am native german but live in an english speaking country, so admittedly, i have never tried the german voice over. In past game experiences, the quality of voice over does vary widely and english or the language of the games origin country are usually best (harder to come by varied voice talents from other countries i guess). I do love the english voice over of DFC.

Anybody who has compared both voice overs ? Opinions ? Or for that matter any opinions comparing any other voice over tracks in DFC ?

oh, and while we're at it: How many years do we have to wait to get lipsynced facial graphics in games - for every voice over  ? :P

#9 The-Hige

The-Hige

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 22:40

If it was french I would have helped with pleasure ^^

186891e7sign.gif

#10 vaiomaniac

vaiomaniac

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBronnoysund, Norway

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:38

I can speak hollywood german (english with heavy german accent) and sound like the german guy from indiana jones do I get the job ??

#11 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:10

Hi folks! We need to get in touch with someone — preferably in this community — who's played the first book of Dreamfall Chapters (at least once!) and who's fluent enough — preferably a native German speaker with good-to-very-good German writing skills — to be able to provide us with feedback on some changes we're making to Book One.

You'll need to commit to playing through the first episode at least a couple of times in German and English, to send us detailed comments on German subtitles and voice-overs, and to communicate with team member(s) during that process. You also need to have reasonably strong English reading/writing/listening skills, in order to spot discrepancies between the English and German localised versions of the game.

(We will, of course, compensate you for the work.)

If this sounds like something you're up for (or you know someone who could do the job) please let us know as soon as possible. Send an email to info@redthreadgames.com and we'll get back to you!

Ragnar

That is a funny thing to ask since you made so clear that you don't care a bit for German customers who don't spreak English. You made this absolutely clear by releasing the whole game and excluding the PROMISED (and payed for) German voice over for the last books UNTIL NOW. Not even a sincere apology in the steam forums. I have to say that I once loved you guys and I still think that you are creating amazing storys, but this policy (and please stop with the "the dubbing studio was cloaked" bs - because there are contracts not just between customers and devs but also between dubbing studios and publishers) is simply unacceptable - especially after you already got our money. Your support regarding the only German speaking community is not just bad it simply is absent. I am so sad that I'll have to write this but it's not just me who meanwhile decided that this was the last game from your company I ever bought. I wanted to help you, I wanted to like the game and I wanted to forgive you - but it is simply to late now!

#12 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 21:30

Apologies for reposting this. It does seem appropriate.

Die deutschen Stimmen gemeinsam mit den englischen rauszugeben, war eine Schnapsidee. Aber nicht von Red Thread Games, sondern von deren deutschem Distributor EuroVideo, der es sich mit mir bereits mit der schwachsinnig Steam-gebundenen "Retail"-Version verscherzt hatte.

Selbstverständlich haben die diese Stimmen in keiner sinnvollen Zeitspanne anliefern können, da sind Fehler zuhauf passiert, für Nachbesserungen dann kein Budget. Deshalb auch diese Idee, erst nach Buch 5 überhaupt Stimmen für Buch 4 nachzuliefern: Es kostet den Distributor ganz einfach viel_weniger_Knete, wenn er die Sprecher nur einmal ins Studio bitten muss.

Aber selbst mit dem ganzen Fiasko waren die deutschen Spieler noch privilegiert, so schnell eine deutsche Fassung zu bekommen. Die Franzosen haben heute noch keine. Insbesondere aber die Norweger haben noch keine norwegische Silbe Dreamfall Chapters gehört, geschweige denn gesehen. Und werden es ggf. auch nie. Stell dir das bitte vor: Chapters ist teils mit staatlichen Zuschüssen als zu förderndes norwegisches Kulturgut entstanden. Ohne norwegische Sprache... während die Deutschen rumheulen, ihre Sprache käme zu spät. Grund zum Motzen gibt's sicher, aber im internationalen Vergleich haben wir doch wieder die Bonzenposition erwischt, weshalb das gerade in internationalen Foren einfach_nicht_so_gut_rüberkommt.

Da es für RTG rein finanziell bereits keine Möglichkeit gibt, ein Spiel am Erscheinungstag mit mehrsprachiger Sprachausgabe herauszugeben, ohne irgendwelche schmutzigen Deals mit schmierigen Publishern wie Koch Media einzugehen, hoffe ich allerdings, dass sie zukünftig keine Voiceovers außer Englisch mehr machen.

Und vielleicht noch Norwegisch. Immerhin spielt das übernächste Spiel in Norwegen. Die Regierung hat auch schon ein bisserl gekickstartet.

Adapted translation:

Yes, it was a crazy idea to release the German voices together with the English. But it wasn't Red Thread Games' idea in the first place, it was the idea of their distributor EuroVideo (who had already ruined their reputation for me when they released Dreamfall Chapters as an empty DVD with a Steam key).

Well of course it was impossible to deliver these voiceovers in any kind of sensible time frame, and of course mistakes happened by the dozen, with nary a budget for amendments. That's the reason for releasing the Book 4 voices only after Book 5: It costs the distributor much_less_money if he only has these voice actors in the studio once. .

But still it was a privilege for German speaking players to receive a German version this fast. French players are still without, but especially the Norwegian players haven't heard or read one Norwegian syllable from Dreamfall Chapters. They possibly never will. Think about it: Chapters has been created in part with government money as an expression of Norwegian culture... without the Norwegian language... while German players whine about the next language patch. Sure, there's reason to whine, no doubt about that, but in comparison to basically the rest of the non-English speaking world, we Germans are still coming out the fat cats, so maybe this kind of whining isn't all too welcome in an international forum. 

As RTG hasn't got the budget to release their games with voiceovers in several languages at release day already (barring dirty deals with  sleazy publishers like Koch Media), I really do hope that English is their first and only choice in the future as well.

And, well, maybe Norwegian, the setting of their third game is Norway anyway. The Norwegian government has Kickstarted them once more already...

• Carla, Indrid Cold, bongboy and 1 other like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#13 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 03 October 2016 - 17:56

@MarkoH01
Your attitude is very, very off. Kickstarter campaign didn't promise that translation would be super fast. Also consider that many players won't get a pleasure of playing this game in their own language, while German players will, eventually. I'd be mad about mistakes, but not about delay.
  • bongboy likes this

#14 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 15:52

@MarkoH01
Your attitude is very, very off. Kickstarter campaign didn't promise that translation would be super fast. Also consider that many players won't get a pleasure of playing this game in their own language, while German players will, eventually. I'd be mad about mistakes, but not about delay.

I beg your pardon? MY attitude is off? I and many German only speaking Germans BOUGHT the game under the premise that IT WOULD HAVE GERMAN VO. This was a promise not a "maybe". I would not be so upset if RTG would not be so completely absent from the Steam forums to tell those BUYERS(!) what happened and especially WHEN TO FINALLY EXPECT WHAT THEY ALREADY PAID FOR. Sorry for all those caps normally I am really a calm person but pointing fingers at me because I stated my exxtreme disappointment about this imo is unbelievable. I also once tried to help RTG by listing all bugs in the German subtitles to make it easier for them to fix them. But RTG atm simply does not give me the feeling that they still do care about those German people anymore. You must not forget that not all buyers of this game were kickstarter backers. Several people simply bought an episodic game with German VO (product description - part of the contract). I just read Vainamoinens post above (thank you for this, Vainamoinen) and such posts I would expect from RTG in the steam forums where their customers are posting. I don't know if you do speak German at all but if this should be the case just take a look in the forums. SEVERAL(!) German customers already stated to never ever buy again any game from RTG. A little bit more dialogue from them and this could have been prevented. And by the way you are talking about a "delay". At the moment I would prefer a mistake/bug which probably would be fixed with a patch within a week (and yes, there were several patches doing exactly this) to waiting for a promised and for some people essential feature for months and getting radio silence about this from RTG. A simple ETA and everybody would be silent. At the moment I don't even know for sure if the VO will ever arrive because this also is just another promise - wouldn't be much surprised if this would be broken too.

#15 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 16:12

Apologies for reposting this. It does seem appropriate.

Adapted translation:

Das ist mir alles schon klar. Aber ich sehe das ganze dann doch wesentlich einfacher. Wie ich schon in meinem vorherigen post gesagt hatte, ärgert es mich ganz besonders, dass RTG nicht offen den Käufern (denn wie gesagt handelt es sich eben nicht nur um Backer und etliche wissen nicht einmal, dass das Spiel Kickstarter finanziert war) gegenüber getreten ist. Ich erinnere mich gerade mal an eine Stellungsnahme, wo RTG sich für die verspätung entschuldigt hat - that's it. Keine Erklärung, keine Bitte um Verständnis, kein nichts. Als die Entscheidung getroffen wurde, Buch 4 und 5 erst einmal gar nicht zu synchronisieren, hieß es bei Steam von RTG nur, dass das billiger wäre. Auch wieder eine Entscheidung einfach so, ohne Erklärung. Warum sollte es den Käufer interessieren, ob etwas für den Entwickler billiger wird? "Es geht nicht anders und wir haben uns verkalkuliert." ist da schon eine ganz andere Hausnummer. Niemand erwartet Wunder, aber das Gefühl, dass es einem wirklich leid tut, eine Erklärung, was passiert ist und auch ein Hinweis, wann das Problem VERMUTLICH behoben wird. Ich habe vor kurzem ein weiteres adventure gebacked (Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure) und die Entwickler dort verhalten sich komplett anders. Ständig gibt es Rückmeldungen, Live Streams, wenn man mal eine Woche nicht online war, entschuldigt man sich (unnötiogerweise) schon. Ganz so extrem muss es ja gar nicht sein, aber momentan habe ich das Gefühl einer "Was wollt ihr? Euer Geld haben wir doch - nun können wir euch igniorieren" Einstellung. Vermutlich ist diese nicht richtig, das will ich gar nicht in Abrede stellen, aber so ist das bei Kommunikation. Man sollte eben auch mal überlegen, was beim Kunden und potentiellen Wiederkunden für ein Eindruck entsteht. RTG hat leider nur wenig bis gar nichts dazu getan, diesen Eindruck zu korrigieren. Wenn ich hier im Forum nachgefragt hatte, bin ich niedergemacht worden, weil ich doch nur eine Minderheit sei usw. Da ich auch Englsich spreche, geht es mir hier aber nicht einmal nur um mich. Ich kann nur solches Handling, bei dem die Problematik im aller Stille ausgesessen wird und der Kunde schon gezahlt hat, absolut nicht ausstehen. Und auch, wenn es sicher ein noch dickerer Hund ist, dass die Norweger, die dieses Spiel staatlich mitfinanziert haben, (noch) keine entsprechende Sprache bekommen haben, ist das bei der eigentlichen Problematik komplett irellevant und zeigt nur, wie schlecht/falsch hier kalkuliert wurde. Ich dasse zusammen: Imo wurden Fehler gemacht und diese Fehler wurden nicht offen genug mit dem Kunden diskutiert bzw. erklärt. Die Einstellung, die ausgestrahlt wird - ob nun tatsächlich so oder nicht - ist mein eigentliches Problem.

#16 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 17:57

I just read Vainamoinens post above (thank you for this, Vainamoinen) and such posts I would expect from RTG in the steam forums

I wouldn't expect that at all. The simple fact of the matter is that I can easily put blame on RTG's German publisher/distributor.

RTG can not do the same.

And they may be in a terrifying bind at the time. They're working on an extended edition of the game, which necessitates more voiceover work. The German publisher has already told them that episodes 4 and 5 would be voiced at the same time. Now they may actually be waiting for that special edition so they can do 4, 5 and the additions at the same time. The English voice actors are paid by the hour; the German voice actors, to my knowledge, have day rates. Getting them into the studio twice or thrice more may be prohibitively expensive.

The best translation for the Zwickmühle that I can find is the catch-22. Whatever they do in this situation, it's dead wrong one way or the other. So just... give them a bit more wiggle room. I get every bit of the German people's annoyance, backers as well as regular customers, but the pressure that 'you're dead to me' outrage produces won't help one bit.

• bongboy likes this

#17 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:16

MarkoH01, all I can see is a drama queen. Just wait patiently for translation release. I repeat, nobody promised that translation would be released right away.
  • bongboy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users