7 replies to this topic

#1 Alec

Alec

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 20:23

Hello.

I have a Steam copy of Dreamfall Chapters and it crashes at startup. I see no loading screen and I'm unable to reach the main menu. Immediately after starting the game it shows the crash dialog and that's it.

Crash dialog:

Имя события проблемы: APPCRASH
  Имя приложения: Dreamfall Chapters.exe
  Версия приложения: 5.2.4.2391
  Отметка времени приложения: 566b7225
  Имя модуля с ошибкой: Dreamfall Chapters.exe
  Версия модуля с ошибкой: 5.2.4.2391
  Отметка времени модуля с ошибкой: 566b7225
  Код исключения: c000001d
  Смещение исключения: 00000000002b5637
  Версия ОС: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Код языка: 1049
  Дополнительные сведения 1: fff1
  Дополнительные сведения 2: fff18141066913749e799a3124c590d9
  Дополнительные сведения 3: 192b
  Дополнительные сведения 4: 192b0c5f81b5c5121844fadc6cd2b966
(Unfortunately, it's in Russian as it's the language of my OS)

I followed this steps to try and fix it:
  1. Validated game files, obviously. No additional data was downloaded by Steam, so I guess everything is in order.
  2. Searched for background applications which might not be compliant with the game by running msconfig and disabling all non-Microsoft services as suggested in the "The game crashes when starting" question here: http://redthreadgame...before-posting/. Didn't help, and I do not run any background services apart from Steam anyway.
  3. Looked for corrupt Windows font files as suggested here: http://redthreadgame...-start/?p=46744. Run FontFrenzy app, chose "repair fonts folder". Then chose "Defrenzy" option to remove all fonts except those which originally shipped with Windows.
  4. As I run Windows with fonts being displayed at the 125% scale, I reverted this to default 100%.

Unfortunately, nothing of above helped. So let me provide a little bit more info. I have quite an old PC, but I still qualify the minimum system requirements (specs are in the DxDiag file embedded below), I do not run any background software (no firewall or antiviruses, no additional game clients apart from Steam, Windows Defender is also disabled). I haven't run Antivirus check immediately after this, but I did scan my PC for malware/spyware/viruses a few days ago and I was clear.

And I believe that's it. I can think of no additional data that I can provide. So any help would be greatly appreciated. I cannot provide "output_log.txt" from the "Dreamfall Chapters_Data" folder as it wasn't generated. I believe it's because the program crashes immediately. 

Attached Files

#2 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3550 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 21 April 2016 - 20:48

Sorry to hear you're having issues, Alec. Can't say this immediately looks like something we've seen before.

Off the top of my head, I have two random suggestions:
Play around with different resolutions in the OS
Up- or downgrade the graphics drivers

I hope someone more technical can come to your aid.

#3 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 April 2016 - 21:19

I found something that seems strange:

You have 4GB system Memory
Your Video card is a GTS 450 with 1024 MB dedicated Ram onboard the Card?

Under Display devices in your DXdiag file it says:
Display Memory: 2771 MB
Dedicated Memory: 979 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB

If your videocard is using 1,8GB from your system Ram as shared video ram
than that could be an issue.

I don´t know where to look for this
maybe check bios settings or graphics driver settings.
The Game needs the full 4GB System Ram
and the card should not be allowed to use additional system ram.

#4 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7105 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 April 2016 - 21:31

You have 4GB system Memory
Your Video card is a GTS 450 with 1024 MB dedicated Ram onboard the Card?

They're running the 64-bit version of Windows, though, which means there shouldn't be a problem. The page file is 5GB so there should be plenty of room.

If possible I'd suggest trying to run the 32-bit version of the game, but I'm not sure if it's possible to make steam download that version. I can't found the option, at least.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#5 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:20

I don't know how far in its initialization the game got, but it would be nice if you could upload the log file that the game itself writes, if it even got that far. You can find it in the "Dreamfall Chapters_Data" folder in the location the game is installed, named "output_log".

Anyhow, I've seen quite a few issues with people playing on GPUs using shared memory. And as mentioned by others here, this has many of the telltale signs of and out-of-memory related issue.

However, at the point of initialization - and even when on the Title menu - the game shouldn't have to use a lot of memory at all.

So, the Russian crash log doesn't tell me anything, and I don't think it would if it were in English either. I guess one could Google the error codes/IDs.. I still think that the game's output log would be of much better help here, as it should leave a stack-trace on crash which would help point us in the right direction.

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#6 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:26

I don't know how far in its initialization the game got, but it would be nice if you could upload the log file that the game itself writes, if it even got that far. You can find it in the "Dreamfall Chapters_Data" folder in the location the game is installed, named "output_log".

The OP said that the log file isn't generated as the program crashes too early... I would imagine it crashes before Unity is done loading. :)

#7 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:32

The OP said that the log file isn't generated as the program crashes too early... I would imagine it crashes before Unity is done loading. :)

Ah yes, you're right. Seems I managed to overlook that one line at the end of the OP. :)

If that's the case, then it's probably not a problem with the "game", but rather the initialization of the engine and it's components. I'll do some Googling on the issue and see what I come up with, but I suspect that it might have something to do with initializing DirectX/the rendering pipeline.

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#8 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:53

Note: I deleted my earlier post here, I think the link I posted was a malicious one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crash, startup crash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users