Photo
- - - - -

Game Stuck Book 4 Glitch

Glitch

Best Answer amykennedy , 14 March 2016 - 22:38

Fixed it (:

I restarted from the end of book three at Kian, and while crow still froze around abnaxus's house, I was able to carry on in the storyline. Thanks everyone so much - especially Morten - for taking the time to help me

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 amykennedy

amykennedy

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 12 March 2016 - 19:53

My book 4 game seems to have encountered a glitch that will not allow me to continue on in the game.

When I first arrived at Abnaxos' abode and got around to sending crow at Onor Hileriss, on his return journey to the barrel he stopped and was stuck in the air.
I restarted from earlier save point, and encountered the same problem again. I figured out that if I stood close enough under crow I could still get him to fly at things. It took a bit of maneuvering, but after sending him after Onor twice I was able to get the barrel to hit the goon. 

But now the game is stuck, it continues the story with Onor telling the other goon to carry the fallen goon while he looks for potholes then all I'm able to see is one of the goons legs standing by the head of the fallen goon. Everything else is still moving ie. Flowers etc. But I cant make any movements. Restarted again from an earlier save point ie. When I received the key, yet still encountering the frozen goon problem. 

When I retried the game from the start of Book 4, I still have this freezing problem, only now crow seems to constantly have a glitch ie. when I leave the rebels headquarter's on the boat, and arrive in the town crow is no longer on the barrel, but in the air by the walls. I really need help with this as I can't get past the goon part of the game.

Screenshot of where I get stuck:

#2 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 20:27

If you're playing on Steam, could you verify the files? Right click on the game in the list, properties, local files tab.

If not on Steam, how easy would it be for you to download the game again and re-install it?

#3 amykennedy

amykennedy

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 12 March 2016 - 21:09

I play on Steam, I did what you said and it said all files sucessfully validated

#4 amykennedy

amykennedy

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 March 2016 - 19:04

Went to my output log for the game and noticed after scrolling through that after leaving the boat to go to abnaxus' house my code says this about 60 times:

The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!

(Filename:  Line: 1649)

It happens again around 60 times after the talk with Onor.
I then get these codes:

HandleD3DDeviceLost
  HandleD3DDeviceLost: still lost
Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

(Filename:  Line: 1261)

HandleD3DDeviceLost
Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

(Filename:  Line: 1422)

to end in this:
HandleD3DDeviceLost
  HandleD3DDeviceLost: needs reset, doing it
FullResetD3DDevice
ResetD3DDevice
dev->Reset
D3Dwindow device not lost anymore
Clearing out all cInput related values from PlayerPrefs

Is any of this relevant?

#5 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 13 March 2016 - 19:25

you don't list your system specs and OS of choice any place. That would help with trouble shooting.

#6 amykennedy

amykennedy

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 March 2016 - 19:45

Not sure what you need, so here's what I know -

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Processor: AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics     (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Anything else?

#7 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 13 March 2016 - 21:57

Not sure what you need, so here's what I know -

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Processor: AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics     (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM

Anything else?

You should get more of an official answer some time tomorrow, but i'll give you my thoughts for now.

Looks like its some GPU issue you are having based on your posts, so if you haven't updated your AMD driver set since upgrading to windows 10, thats the very first thing you should do. In fact you should do that anyway.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

You have enough ram for that not to be an issue, along with the 64 bit os rules out issues there. I don't know much about that APU, they are often trouble some when it comes to gaming, but it is reasonably modern, and I would say it should pass the min requirements of an Intel 4000 (I think).
Maybe some one else can shed more light on that.

You have done the steam integrity check, so the game files are all fine.

So I would start with the drivers and go from there. And keep the gfx on low, and really the game should run as intended.

After that I would start thinking about the possibility of a corrupt save game, and maybe one of the game branches failing. But that is total speculation on my part.

Good luck.

#8 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 March 2016 - 22:23

This is a very odd bug. Hopefully one of the devs might have some suggestions because I'm pretty stumped with this.

Went to my output log for the game and noticed after scrolling through that after leaving the boat to go to abnaxus' house my code says this about 60 times:

(Filename:  Line: 1649)

It happens again around 60 times after the talk with Onor.

This may be relevant. If it's not finding the AI scripts then that would explain why things stop moving, but I don't see why that should happen when Steam verifies the cache. (The error message does also appear sometimes without there being a problem)

HandleD3DDeviceLost

Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

This usually just means that you've Alt+Tabbed out of the game.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#9 amykennedy

amykennedy

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 March 2016 - 22:44

@ Vestrum Herald

Didn't realize I had to update AMD driver as its a new enough laptop that came with windows 10, but when on the site you posted and seemed i needed an update.

And I've kept the game graphics on low if that's what you mean, to make the game smoother from the beginning as it was quite jumpy- resolution 1280x720, visual quality on low and shadow distance on 0.

#10 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 March 2016 - 22:50

Perhaps you could upload the entire log? The devs will probably want that for troubleshooting. If you go to More Reply Options, there's the ability to attach files to a post.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#11 amykennedy

amykennedy

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 March 2016 - 23:13

Attached the output log, I had to delete over 100 of

HandleD3DDeviceLost

Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

(Filename:  Line: 1422)

at the end of the file to make the file fit.

• khh likes this

#12 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:52

Good to hear you fixed the problem.

However, I wanted to outline some of the log's entries mentioned:

HandleD3DDeviceLost:

When playing the game in exclusive fullscreen mode (aka. fullscreen setting in the menus) the graphics device needs to fully control the application's rendering.

When you alt-tab/minimize the Window, these kinds of messages will spam the log, and it will skip frames until the application is focused again.

At that point a new message will be shown, as the graphics device is given focus and is reset to start rendering again:

HandleD3DDeviceLost
  HandleD3DDeviceLost: needs reset, doing it
FullResetD3DDevice
ResetD3DDevice
dev->Reset
D3Dwindow device not lost anymore

This is handled by the engine itself, and we can't do anything about it. I'd be happy if they were to change it to show the message once when losing focus, and the reset message when gaining focus. As mentioned, it's out of our hands, and I wouldn't think that it's a priority for them at all, but now you know what it means. ;)

With the engine upgrade from Unity 4 to Unity 5, some scripts had to be redone. In Marcuria especially, there's some objects that still have a script on them that is not used anymore. This message in the log is a "warning" that the script can no longer be found and it will write one message to the log for every object with a missing script, not per script/class. It should not cause any issues. We should have cleaned these up some time ago, but we haven't gotten to it yet. 
There's no way for us to automatically scan through all objects in a scene and remove the script from every object that has it (as it does not "exist" we can't save a reference to it to remove it through code). So we have to clean these up manually, which we haven't had the time to do yet.
It's just one of those things that causes confusion when people look at their logs, as it seems to indicate that something is wrong when it in fact just means that there's something we haven't cleaned up yet. Sorry for that. 

Again, glad you managed to fix your issue. I hope this cleared up a bit of the confusion, though. :)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#13 amykennedy

amykennedy

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:14

Good to hear you fixed the problem.

I haven't though?

The game still freezes at the end of the scene - the scenery ie.flowers still move but everything else is stuck and I cant go any further in the game.

#14 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:15

Oh, sorry. I thought your post a bit further up suggested it was fixed after updating the driver. My bad.. Zombie monday, here. 

I'll see if I can dig up anything else in the log. :)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#15 amykennedy

amykennedy

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:18

No problem, If I deleted all of book 4 from the log and started book 4 again would that make a difference or would the bug still be there?

#16 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:22

No problem, If I deleted all of book 4 from the log and started book 4 again would that make a difference or would the bug still be there?

Maybe, but it's hard to say for sure. Depends on the nature/cause of the issue, which of now is unknown.

However, your log only contains the "HandleD3DDeviceLost" messages. That log seems to be from a session where you entered the game, and once on the Title screen, minimized the game and grabbed the log. Unless you deleted the entries further on. 

I'd need a log from a session in which you encountered the bug to be able to get a closer look at what's happening.

#17 amykennedy

amykennedy

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:47

Started from where I received the key from Blind Bob and played through till screen froze where it normally does. Just did the basics, so here's the output log for that. Also attached an image of crow stuck in odd places to show you what I mean - he gets stuck different places each time I play.

Attached Files

• Morten likes this

#18 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 March 2016 - 15:16

Ok, so I dug through the sequences after knocking the guard out and found that the second guard (the one chopping on the door) is not finishing his "walk over to knocked out dude" action for some reason. As the game at this point waits for him to complete that action before moving on, I see that you're completely stuck if he never actually gets over there. 

This reminded me of a similar issue (the exact same one in fact) that another user reported some time ago. Link to that thread here.

You can see from his explanation that it seems to be the exact same thing. However, he didn't mention any issues with Crow.

Said user fixed the issue by starting over fresh from the beginning of Book Four, so I guess you could try that if you want to. I have no idea why this is happening consistently during one playthrough, and not at all in others/for other players. My guess is that there is something saved somewhere that are affecting the objects, making them behave irregularly. Why that is, how that may happen or what may be causing it, I have no idea.

Though the fact that this exact same thing has happened for more than one player kind of worries me. It's going to be a real b*tch to track down, that's for sure.

If you want to start over, I'd very much like to hear from you with any results you might have - negative or positive.

Also, if that fixes it, it'd be interesting to hear if the issues with Crow disappeared too.

That's about what I could dig up right now. I'll be back with more if I find anything else. :)

#19 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 March 2016 - 15:23

Also, you wouldn't mind sending us a savegame from your playthrough? Whichever of them you've loaded where the issue occurs (possibly the last one created).

This section of the FAQ explains the location in which you can find your saved files, in a folder named "Autosave". Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention it: You can upload the savegame directly in a post here, in a PM to me or send it in an email to me at morten@redthreadgames.com :)

#20 amykennedy

amykennedy

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 14 March 2016 - 15:46

Ok, so I dug through the sequences after knocking the guard out and found that the second guard (the one chopping on the door) is not finishing his "walk over to knocked out dude" action for some reason. As the game at this point waits for him to complete that action before moving on, I see that you're completely stuck if he never actually gets over there. 

This reminded me of a similar issue (the exact same one in fact) that another user reported some time ago. Link to that thread here.

You can see from his explanation that it seems to be the exact same thing. However, he didn't mention any issues with Crow.

Said user fixed the issue by starting over fresh from the beginning of Book Four, so I guess you could try that if you want to. I have no idea why this is happening consistently during one playthrough, and not at all in others/for other players. My guess is that there is something saved somewhere that are affecting the objects, making them behave irregularly. Why that is, how that may happen or what may be causing it, I have no idea.

Though the fact that this exact same thing has happened for more than one player kind of worries me. It's going to be a real b*tch to track down, that's for sure.

If you want to start over, I'd very much like to hear from you with any results you might have - negative or positive.

Also, if that fixes it, it'd be interesting to hear if the issues with Crow disappeared too.

That's about what I could dig up right now. I'll be back with more if I find anything else. :)

I've already started over once from book 4 and didn't work unfortunately. Maybe I'll go back to the end of book 3 instead. The original time I played crow only started having issues when I arrived at abnaxus' house, before that he was where he should be ie.sitting on a barrel etc. He only got stuck when I got him to fly at Onor. Now everytime I go back or restart book 4 once I leave the rebels on the boat, crow is now getting stuck in the air all over.

I'll check that link to see how to find the savegame - I'll email it if thats okay.

• Morten likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Glitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users