• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Lyvean

Lyvean

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 23:41

Hello. I am a long time fun of the series and I was getting ready to enjoy this new chapter, see if it is any good. Alas, the game has a problem with my Xbox One Controller (I play on PC). Everything works fine except the dpad, which means I can't use the inventory, which means I can't play the game.

Since this is a common problem and has been mentioned many times, it's boggling that it hasn't been fixed. It's also boggling that you claim it has full controller support. It's also boggling that there is no sticker with problems in the head of the forum. It's also boggling that such a simple thing, controller support, is not implemented to this game properly.

Is there any solution to this? Do I have to ask for a refund? Any help will be appreciated.

#2 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 12 March 2016 - 00:33

I haven't had any problems playing it with a gamepad. I only have an Xbox 360 gamepad for the PC, though, not an Xbox One gamepad. I'm not sure if there is much of a difference between the two. If you happen to have a 360 gamepad and a PC receiver for it, I suggest you try it out. Otherwise, all I can suggest is to wait and see what the programmers have to say about it. They're good about checking this forum and I'm sure you will soon get a reply from them.

#3 Lyvean

Lyvean

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 00:41

I don't have a 360 pad. And of course the 360 pad works flawlessly because the devs have said that the game was developed with that in mind. But the Xbox one controller should also work fine outside of the box. In my device manager the XINPUT compatible hid device (which is how W10 name the xbox one controller for some stupid reason) I have updated the drivers and I am all fine. My Xbox accessories app from windows store also updated without a problem and the controller works fine in a couple of other games I tested it.

Thanks for the reply bongboy.

#4 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 00:57

When you say you've updated the drivers and you're all fine, do you mean the controller now works properly with DFC? IOW, is the issue you originally complained about now fixed?

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 March 2016 - 00:58

Are you connecting the controller to the computer wirelessly? If I recall correctly some people were experiencing problems with the Xbox One controller that didn't happen if they connected it through a USB cable.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#6 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:01

One thing you could try doing is downloading and installing the free Windows app http://www.xpadder.com/. It has profiles for games that don't natively support whatever gamepad you have, and it also lets you manually assign each button to the coresponding keyboard/mouse key/button. It might be a little bit of work, but you might be able to make it work that way.

#7 Lyvean

Lyvean

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:16

When you say you've updated the drivers and you're all fine, do you mean the controller now works properly with DFC? IOW, is the issue you originally complained about now fixed?

No, I just gave a report to what I have done. The problem remains, the dpad is not working in the game, so I can't play it.

Also, the controller is connected wirelessly, I play on my TV.

#8 Lyvean

Lyvean

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:19

One thing you could try doing is downloading and installing the free Windows app http://www.xpadder.com/. It has profiles for games that don't natively support whatever gamepad you have, and it also lets you manually assign each button to the coresponding keyboard/mouse key/button. It might be a little bit of work, but you might be able to make it work that way.

Thanks bongboy, I know about xpadder. I will probably use it at the end but it is ludicrous that there is a problem with the official controller of an operating system which is the official operating system of the game.

I would like a solution from the devs or an answer at least before I start using any 3rd party programs.

#9 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:53

I would like a solution from the devs or an answer at least before I start using any 3rd party programs.

I'll move this thread to the General Support forum then. The team will probably appreciate the bug report, and may have a proposed solution.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#10 Lyvean

Lyvean

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 13:05

Is the xpadder a paying program? Because I will certainly not pay more to play this game. So xpadder is not an option for me.

#11 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 19:51

Is the xpadder a paying program? Because I will certainly not pay more to play this game. So xpadder is not an option for me.

It was free the last time I checked, but it appears to no longer be free. Sorry about that. :(

#12 Lyvean

Lyvean

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:45

Thanks bongboy, no problem at all. I have done everything I can and still I can't use the inventory button. Everything works fine except the dpad.

#13 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:26

I can't reproduce this on my end (Xbox One controller, Windows 10). 

As previously mentioned, some users have reported issues when the controller is not connected directly through the USB port. 

That said, the controller should work fine with the game out of the box with the support/driver for it that comes with Windows 8/10. Make sure you haven't downloaded any third party controller drivers, as these may sometimes cause issues.

As Book Five is released we'll focus on making the "complete edition" where we'll try to iron out a bunch of things. One of my priorities will be to make the game use native input, which will make it easier for us to fix certain issues like this.

• Pawlo_86 likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#14 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:19

As Book Five is released we'll focus on making the "complete edition" where we'll try to iron out a bunch of things. One of my priorities will be to make the game use native input, which will make it easier for us to fix certain issues like this.

Let's try...How Book Five is going? ;)
  • Morten and GistOfSpirit like this

#15 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:42

Good try!  ^_^

• GistOfSpirit and Pawlo_86 like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#16 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 18:08

Good try!  ^_^

LMAO, great response. :D

• Morten likes this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#17 Lyvean

Lyvean

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 17:04

I can't reproduce this on my end (Xbox One controller, Windows 10). 

As previously mentioned, some users have reported issues when the controller is not connected directly through the USB port. 

That said, the controller should work fine with the game out of the box with the support/driver for it that comes with Windows 8/10. Make sure you haven't downloaded any third party controller drivers, as these may sometimes cause issues.

What do you mean third party drivers? The controller is recognized by W10, I downloaded the controller app and it updated normally. The device appears normally in device manager as "XINPUT Compatible HID device", even though -and due  to classic Microsoft incompetence- the controller does not appear in the control panel, only the "xbox wireless adapter". I have tried unplugging my X52 Pro in case it creates some wild incompatibility but no luck. The point is that I don't have a wired controller, it is wireless. So I kinda need a solution.

#18 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 16 March 2016 - 17:45

What I meant by third party drivers is that there's a bunch of them around from back when Windows didn't automatically detect them and had drivers working with them.

Now the OS comes with the driver/support for them, so it should work out of the box, and from your last post it seems that that is the case. :)

As I mentioned earlier, I've seen quite a few people having trouble playing with the controller connected through wireless. Personally I don't have a problem with it either at home (Win 8 still) or in the office (Win 10), so I don't know what causes the inconsistency. 

The Xbox One controller should have a micro-USB input on its back which you can connect to your computer if you have the cable (the normal charging cable should suffice).

People have reported that if they don't get it to work correctly while wireless, connecting a cable did the trick.

As I stated earlier, we will hopefully be able to change some things and bypass the whole input API from Unity (the game engine) to have proper native input and that will hopefully minimize these kinds of issues.

I know you might not be too keen on the idea of going with a cable, but as of now, I don't know what else to suggest. I don't know why this is an issue for some, and not for others.  :wacko:

I'm sorry that I'm not of better help right now and that I can't sit down for two weeks to fix this right away (trust me, I'd really want to :P).

#19 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 16 March 2016 - 17:52

Just as a side note; in the Device Manager on my computer, when connecting the controller it's listed as "Xbox Controller" under a section called "Xbox Peripherals".

I don't know what the difference between that and "XINPUT Compatible HID device" is, though. :wacko:  

#20 Lyvean

Lyvean

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 19:48

I connected it with a micro usb and indeed the "xbox peripherals" appeared in the device manager and underneath the "Xbox Controller". I loaded the game after a clean install I just did and the problem remains. The Inventory Key is unmarked in the control settings, there is not an xbox controller button assigned to it (using W10 64, brand new PC, everything properly updated, GTX 970 Strix).

Doesn't that mean that the controller is working fine but there is something wrong with the game itself?

Also, is there any way to ask for a refund? Who do I contact? I am sorry to say, I am a long time fan of the series, but this is beyond ridiculous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users