174 replies to this topic

#41 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 16:28

Yeah, the Google translate version looks pretty good as well.

I used the Bing one because, if you use IE for it, you can go to a page and then just right-click on the page and select 'translate'. If google has that, I've missed it.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#42 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 March 2016 - 16:33

I used the Bing one because, if you use IE for it, you can go to a page and then just right-click on the page and select 'translate'. If google has that, I've missed it.

IE has Bing Translate built in because Microsoft. Chrome has Google Translate built in because Google. I feel like Firefox has an extension for that, though I'm not sure what service it uses. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#43 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6104 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 16:35

While I 100% support this idea

...wait, did you write anything else? ♪ LALALALA! ♫

(Seriously, I am fully on board with khh's objections and have been even before he voiced them)

A very short article in norwegian about Kodenavn Svalbard.

Okay, ideal time for a press release? Before giving interviews. :P
  • khh likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#44 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 March 2016 - 16:40

(Seriously, I am fully on board with khh's objections and have been even before he voiced them) 

I was raising other objections. :P

That said, I still think that would be cool. Because I'm selfish and I wanna see it. 

Okay, ideal time for a press release? Before giving interviews. :P

Yeah, but it's in Norwegian and Norway has like 10 people in it, so... :P

Seriously, though, since the the info about the grant went up, it makes sense some places would to a write up about it. And I feel like commenting on it if contacted is way better than...you know... not. 

EDIT: 

Or they posted something on Facebook a few minutes ago and I missed it. Which is kinda like a press release in this social media driven world of the future. 

Much congrats to all the lovely Norwegian game development peoples who received funding from the Norwegian Film Institute this week — including our friends at Rock Pocket GamesKrillbite Studio,Antagonist and Ravn Studio as! We can't WAIT to play your games — and everyone should start following these guys, because Norway + games is happening.

Red Thread Games also received funding for the first prototype of our next-NEXT game:

A Polar Punk RPG set in a far-future, post-apocalyptic Arctic — CODENAME SVALBARD (working title). Excite! 

Also, "Polar Punk" might be my new favorite thing.
  • TalkingOak and merryawe like this

#45 OptoNick

OptoNick

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 04 March 2016 - 16:43

Exciting news  :)

At this point only wondering if it's planned to be isometric or 3D?

#46 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 16:50

IE has Bing Translate built in because Microsoft. Chrome has Google Translate built in because Google. I feel like Firefox has an extension for that, though I'm not sure what service it uses. 

It wasn't meant as an endorsement or Bing, or anything against other browsers, just an explanation of why I did it that way. So, yeah... :)

#47 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6104 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 16:52

At this point only wondering if it's planned to be isometric or 3D?

It won't be like Shadowrun: Hong Kong, if that's what you're wondering. :P

Pretty sure isometric doesn't cut it for RTG, and 3D makes things pretty damn expensive. There are other solutions though... maybe a bit of 3D (world map exploration), a bit of isometry (battles) and maybe even a bit of 2D (on location/indoors), and many more such mixtures.

Ohhhh I see. So let's translate this thing.

A computer game set in future Svalbard is now being developed by Red Tread Games.

The Oslo-based gaming company has received a 975,000 kroner grant by the Norwegian Film Institute earlier this week, meant to support the development of the game with the working title “Codename Svalbard”.

"Red Thread Games has presented an original and compelling concept. We believe that the setting in the nordic, barren landscape, combined with an exciting story, will create great interest both in the domestic as well as foreign markets", the statement from the Norwegian Film Institute reads.

"Code Name Svalbard" is an RPG for the PC. The developers keep details confidential, but in an interview with NRK, Ragnar Tørnquist renders at least a bit more information.

“We’ve set the game against the backdrop of a post-apocalyptic future, after climate change and war. Mankind is about to to rebuild civilization. The solution lies under the ice in Svalbard”, says Ragnar Tornquist, who founded Red Thread Games in 2012.

The company started to produce a so-called prototype - which shows a small part of the game.

“We're going to Svalbard to do research. We want to reproduce environments as well as possible”, Tørnquist told NRK.

It will take several years before "Code Name Svalbard" will be released. First Red Thread Games intends to finish "Draugen", a horror game set in 20th century Norway.

“We like the Norwegian environments and themes”, says Tørnquist.

Red Thread Games AS was founded in autumn 2012 and currently has 13 employees with a background in Norwegian and international game development. In the spring of 2016, the studio launches the fifth and final episode of the acclaimed adventure game series Dreamfall Chapters.

All right, literally nothing new besides a bit of group vacation for RTG, the info that it's for PC (yay!), and the fact that it's more like "Working Title Svalbard". :)

• Ringtail likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#48 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 March 2016 - 16:57

It wasn't meant as an endorsement or Bing, or anything against other browsers, just an explanation of why I did it that way. So, yeah... :)

I wasn't trying to say you were? Sorry if it came off that way. 

Just was saying that since I use Chrome more than IE, that's what my default is. And you said you didn't know if Google had the same deal. They do.

I actually think you can probably use Bing the same way on Chrome if you install a browser extension. Not sure. Though now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure there are both Bing and Google browser extensions for Firefox... ...Though I haven't used Firefox in years. Also not sure what options are available for like Opera and Safari.  

#49 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 17:03

Firefox is my default :) There may be an extension for it; I haven't investigated. I just use IE for translation, which I don't do very often for sure, because I don't have Chrome installed (I don't use much of anything from google actually; StreetView is good though).

#50 OptoNick

OptoNick

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 04 March 2016 - 17:07

It won't be like Shadowrun: Hong Kong, if that's what you're wondering. :P

Pretty sure isometric doesn't cut it for RTG, and 3D makes things pretty damn expensive. There are other solutions and good mixes though...

SR is not the only one isometric franchise in the market  :P

"Reproducing environments" is a hint for 3D, though. Svalbard archipelago is not that huge after all, and Draugen will be finished by this time, so it's possible

• Vainamoinen likes this

#51 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7061 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 March 2016 - 17:17

Seriously, though, since the the info about the grant went up, it makes sense some places would to a write up about it. And I feel like commenting on it if contacted is way better than...you know... not.

Yup. And there are 17 people in Denmark. They said so on TV.
  • agirlnamedbob, TalkingOak and Vainamoinen like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#52 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 17:24

Yeah, but 6 of them are visiting ;)

#53 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 March 2016 - 17:26

xD

I actually was having a debate about something similar with a friend recently. He was trying to convince me that "most Norwegians" feel a certain way (because he read an article so is an expert) and I was like "Really? Because I know a handful of Norwegians and... that doesn't seem to be the case for any of them..."

And then it came up that a few people I happen to know isn't really a good sample size for making generalizations, and another friend of mine was like "Do you know more than like five of them? Because five people is a significant portion of Norway's population." 

• Tina and khh like this

#54 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 17:29

Does anyone else find it interesting/amusing that one of the world's greatest stores of genetic diversity is located in a country that likely has one of the least genetically diverse populations? :D

• mrKnask likes this

#55 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 March 2016 - 17:44

Sorry to drag this thread back on topic, but...

[link]

:D

• Edreamer Jamil, TalkingOak, Vainamoinen and 5 others like this

#56 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7261 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 04 March 2016 - 20:10

I know of more than 10 people from Norway. Unless they are figments of my imagination.... this is the most logical explaination! :ph34r:

Also I've been thinking: RTG should make a Polar Bear the star of Draugen and put out a patch that turns Zoe and Kian into Polar bears because I really want to play as a Polar Bear. :ph34r:

• agirlnamedbob and Ringtail like this
The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#57 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7061 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 March 2016 - 20:14

Sorry to drag this thread back on topic, but...

[link]

:D

That's great. Both through the DFC and the TSW soundtrack Simon has really proven himself as a deft composer. When he's written a piece especially for something he's been able to weave both subtilly and powerfully to deliver the emotional content a scene calls for, and his background mood setters are also superb. So I'm very happy to have more of his music.
  • agirlnamedbob likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#58 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 March 2016 - 20:59

So.. I've been laughing quite hard over all the predictions about reactions coming true :P

Oh, and yeah, I changed the title of the thread to the English (tentative) title :) Hope Roy Martin doesn't mind!

• agirlnamedbob and TalkingOak like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#59 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 March 2016 - 21:05

So.. I've been laughing quite hard over all the predictions about reactions coming true :P

Yeah, I was giggling a bit, too. Not gonna lie. 

Oh, Internet... How I simultaneously love and loathe you. 

Kian into Polar bears

There's a joke in here that's so damn tempting... 

• Tina and TalkingOak like this

#60 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 March 2016 - 21:15

Oh, and for people wanting higher resolution; the facebook picture is quite high res, at least much better than the one from nfi.no :)

• TalkingOak and merryawe like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users