• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#21 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11204 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 21:49

Or maybe he procrastinates the announcement, dreading the BUT WHAT ABOUT TLJH!?!?!?!?! comments the it will initiate :P

You know. ...I feel bad. I really really do. But... ...at the same time, that fate was kind of sealed when the second that stretch goal was announced. >>;

And this time it looks like we've got the potential for both misogynistic trolls and anti "global warming propaganda" people chiming in as well. Exciting!

• Tina, khh, Ringtail and 1 other like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#22 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3056 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 21:55

Judging from RTG's reluctance to post the cast for DFC, I think they're probably delaying the announcement until they can do it "properly".

From the little we know so far, I'm of two minds... On one hand, it's RTG making it, and some RPGs are ones I like. On the other hand, some other RPGs I really don't like, and I'm getting a bit tired of post-apocalyptic and dystopian futures...

• khh likes this

#23 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11204 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 22:04

Yeah, I'm sure there are going to be a few people who are probably sick of post-apocalyptic stuff. Though like with any genre, a lot of things start to feel same-y after a while. ...I feel like the setting and the team will bring a unique perspective to it, so... ...I'm really curious to get some more details there. 

I was reading some interesting stuff about "genre saturation" not that long ago and I find the subject really interesting, but I think I'm going to stop myself from dragging this thread into the weeds already. :P

• Vainamoinen likes this

#24 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3056 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 22:07

I was reading some interesting stuff about "genre saturation" not that long ago and I find the subject really interesting, but I think I'm going to stop myself from dragging this thread into the weeds already. :P

The word "saturation" makes me think the term probably means something like "they've invented all the plots they could invent in that genre" which I don't agree with. When I say I'm tired I just mean I've seen too many of them lately and would like not to see more until some time has passed.

Sorry for pulling the thread weedwards again. :P

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#25 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6134 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 22:07

Hey, we've come this far without any really tangible information about the game, why stop now? :P

• agirlnamedbob and robertc like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#26 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7317 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 03 March 2016 - 22:22

Im getting tired of post-apocalyptic stuff set in deserts. At least the setting will give us something new. :)
  • Vainamoinen likes this
The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#27 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11204 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 22:33

The word "saturation" makes me think the term probably means something like "they've invented all the plots they could invent in that genre" which I don't agree with. When I say I'm tired I just mean I've seen too many of them lately and would like not to see more until some time has passed.

No, when I say saturation, that's exactly what I mean. The point where there's just so much of a thing around that people get sick of it or start to avoid anything that seems to be in that genre until they've had a bit of a break and it feels fresh again. 

There's kind of a curve...you know. A thing in a genre gets popular, suddenly more things in that same genre get popular because people are looking for stuff like the first thing... until that reaches a saturation point and interest drops off. 

There's some debate, though, as to whether or not this happens because everyone tries to chase the success of a popular franchise or if people just become hyper aware of stuff that's already out there once they're keyed into a genre. Like with vampires... ...Twilight didn't necessarily cause that much of an uptick in vampire anything, but the success of Twilight (And True Blood, etc.) made everyone hyper aware of anything vampire related... ...and a lot of dreck got more attention than it probably would have because it was in the right place at the right time. 

Not to say people never try to chase whatever is "in," but by the time you make something to try to ride the wave of something popular, that moment is usually over.

It's just something I think about now whenever the topic of "I'm just getting tired of [THING] right now..." or "There are just too many [THING] movies/books/games/comics" comes up. 

#28 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3538 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 03 March 2016 - 23:04

I'm not an RPG-er. Too much find enemies and hit button till you win (what little I've played). But I'd love tracking down the seed vault dungeon, raid it and travel to southern lands to plant the seeds. :P

"Investigate a barren, hostile arctic landscape. Find the clues to the location of the biological ark of humanity. Select the treasures you will reintroduce into the world. Travel to exotic places, fighting off the milling mutant masses set on satiating themselves on your loot. Oh, and giant mutant polar bear."

#29 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1302 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:56

I'm not an RPG-er. Too much find enemies and hit button till you win (what little I've played). But I'd love tracking down the seed vault dungeon, raid it and travel to southern lands to plant the seeds. :P

"Investigate a barren, hostile arctic landscape. Find the clues to the location of the biological ark of humanity. Select the treasures you will reintroduce into the world. Travel to exotic places, fighting off the milling mutant masses set on satiating themselves on your loot. Oh, and giant mutant polar bear."

I can make it even punchier than that -- how about:

"Do you DARE to face the challenge...of HEIRLOOM TOMATOES...and MURDER??????"

• Tina and TalkingOak like this

#30 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3056 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:54

I'm not an RPG-er. Too much find enemies and hit button till you win (what little I've played).

There's different kinds, really. I don't like ones like that either, but ones like Skyrim are pretty good.

#31 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:56

Or maybe he procrastinates the announcement, dreading the BUT WHAT ABOUT TLJH!?!?!?!?! comments the it will initiate :P

Pretty much.

Also, I don't want people to start freaking out and yelling at us for not prioritising Book Five and everything Chapters-related. That's what we're all working on right now: all hands on deck for a proper conclusion to Dreamfall. Draugen is next; this is next-next, although we will have a tiny core team working on Codena— THE GAME THAT CAN'T BE NAMED — for a while. That's also why the budget is so small: NFI is supporting the development of the first prototype. The full game will be…rather expensive.

I wish I could show you guys the first in-engine video from this new game, because it's amaaaaaazing, but alas: it's too early to make waves. (I do want to make sure our longtime supporters get to learn more first, however, so I won't go posting any announcements on Steam. It'll be either here, or…y'know, in some kind of silly press release. Which I'll also post here. But that won't happen anytime soon, I think.)

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 12 others like this

#32 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7317 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:21

Thanks Ragnar :) I guess I will have to wait a while for confirmation of playable bear. ;)

The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#33 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6134 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:06

Private in-forum DFC backer footage screening? :)

We'll have to wait a while for lots of info, it seems. And keep our feet still. I could send those NFI links to some German game magazines right now and prompt some articles, but it would of course be rather premature...

Anyway, looking forward to the in-engine stuff a lot, as it would certainly answer some questions. Man, I'd love to have a FFVII-style overworld map, but with modern realistic graphics... that painted first teaser pic has more or less the right panorama perspective... and Dreamfall's ice SFX still look great today... as did the water drops on DFC's Propast windows... arghhhhh. I'm a visual person. Give me visuals!

My Steam community cahoots remark was of course a joke and meant to provoke a Ragnar comment. I will just assume it has worked. :P

• agirlnamedbob, Mr_Russ and mrKnask like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#34 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3056 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:12

I like that they're planning ahead but it's true: Given that they're a small team, realistically they'll be focusing on one project at a time (primarily). So given that DFC is still not finished and Draugen is also still not finished, it should be a while before we can expect to hear much about CNS.

• TalkingOak likes this

#35 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7078 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:06

Thanks, Ragnar. You know where to find us when it is time to release more info.

We'll have to wait a while for lots of info, it seems. And keep our feet still. I could send those NFI links to some German game magazines right now and prompt some articles, but it would of course be rather premature...

Anyway, looking forward to the in-engine stuff a lot, as it would certainly answer some questions. Man, I'd love to have a FFVII-style overworld map, but with modern realistic graphics... that painted first teaser pic has more or less the right panorama perspective... and Dreamfall's ice SFX still look great today... as did the water drops on DFC's Propast windows... arghhhhh. I'm a visual person. Give me visuals!

If they posted anything they wanted to be at least semi secret that wouldn't be restrictive enough, it would still get out. There are so many backers for DFC, someone would be bound to rip the video and upload it elsewhere.

It's all right that we have to wait for a while, thought. It looks like an interesting project, but it's probably years away from being released. Wouldn't want to get hyped too early.

I mostly enjoy that aspect of RPGs, actually. It's kind of cathartic. At least if you plan to stay with the character a while, and you feel sufficiently connected to the world and story.

• agirlnamedbob and Vainamoinen like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#36 RoyMartin

RoyMartin

Fringe Café Regular

• Shifter
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:50

I really like that RTG are working on multiple games. Of course Chapter 5 is what I'm looking forward to the most right now (although I don't want it to end), but I love that we now have TWO more games to look forward to, Draugen and this. And of course, TLJH some time in the future. Hopefully? :)

#37 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6134 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 13:32

Okay, nobody speak of The Longest Journey Home for the next three years. :ph34r:

And this time it looks like we've got the potential for both misogynistic trolls and anti "global warming propaganda" people chiming in as well. Exciting!

The press rel NFI page info speaks of global warming, sure enough, but what's global warming... on Svalbard... during nuclear winter? I'm pretty certain we can turn this ship around if need be. :)

At least the anti global warming propaganda is a new field of debate for us. With misogyny, our arguments are well trained and instantly reusable (and of course, repetitive and therewith boring).

However, I have another type of troll for you to look out for: The zoophilia insinuators. More or less misogynists who think they're funny.

We could make badges for those guys before they turn up. "ZOOPHILIA INSINUATOR BADGE. Expected since March 4th, 2016".

• Morten, agirlnamedbob, TalkingOak and 1 other like this

#38 Andreas

Andreas

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationLillesand, Norway

Posted 04 March 2016 - 15:53

A very short article in norwegian about Kodenavn Svalbard.

• mrKnask likes this

"Remember that today is tomorrow's yesterday and that tomorrow's yesterday is yesterday's tomorrow." - By Andreas

#39 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 16:02

A very short article in norwegian about Kodenavn Svalbard.

I used the Bing inline translator to read the article. Not perfect, but good enough I think to understand.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#40 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11204 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 March 2016 - 16:06

While I 100% support this idea, I kinda feel like a lot of the "OMG WHAT ABOUT DFC!?! WHERE'S BOOK FIVE?!? TLJH?!?!?" people are backers. :P So. ...Yeah...

I wish I could show you guys the first in-engine video from this new game, because it's amaaaaaazing, but alas: it's too early to make waves. (I do want to make sure our longtime supporters get to learn more first, however, so I won't go posting any announcements on Steam. It'll be either here, or…y'know, in some kind of silly press release. Which I'll also post here. But that won't happen anytime soon, I think.)

Take your time. We're not going anywhere.

Also, we're really good at waiting. :P ;)

I used the Bing inline translator to read the article. Not perfect, but good enough I think to understand.

Yeah, the Google translate version looks pretty good as well.

• khh likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users